Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Lodge 49 or HaCF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans is pretty high stakes and almost zero comedy with the exception of the goofy disguises. That said, it's an amazing show.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

fancy stats posted:

Lodge 49 or HaCF.

Seconding Lodge 49.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Perennial Terriers plug

this and also Halt And Catch Fire as others have wisely suggested

It's a great show. if you liked Mad Men I think you'll like H&CF

Also, For All Mankind is badass

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I've given The Americans and HaCF a try before, but neither grabbed me with the first few episodes. Been meaning to give HaCF another try.

I'll check out Lodge 49, too. Rectify is another show I really loved, even though there's not really any comedy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hell yeah Rectify is awesome and the first season is perfect imo

try Dispatches From Elsewhere

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't a fan of Lodge 49

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We're about halfway through season 1 of The Magicians now and it sucks noticeably less. Still not fully convinced by it, but it's definitely improved.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

We're about halfway through season 1 of The Magicians now and it sucks noticeably less. Still not fully convinced by it, but it's definitely improved.
Keep watching, it's a steady incline of good

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just finished watching Dark Shadows. 1,225 episodes of Gothic insanity. Despite the quality drop near the end, I never got the urge to bail out. If you ever decide to watch it (Amazon Prime has it), you will find yourself asking, "Can this show get any more ridiculous?" and that answer will always be a resounding "yes!".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm up to early season 3, and it gets much, much better.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sparksbloom posted:

I've given The Americans and HaCF a try before, but neither grabbed me with the first few episodes. Been meaning to give HaCF another try.

I'll check out Lodge 49, too. Rectify is another show I really loved, even though there's not really any comedy.

HaCF gets great when it stops trying to make Lee Pace into the 80’s Don Draper. Honestly I liked season 1 a lot, but many think it isn’t until season 2 that it gets truly good. Also I will say the final season reminds me of the final season of SFU in relation to how I felt after the series finale. I knew I was going to miss these fictional characters more than any sane human should. I like The Americans, but I never thought it was on the level everyone else did. It was also a B+ show to me.

Lodge 49 is great too, and I need to watch Rectify myself. The Leftovers is another but that season 1 can be dark.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 15, 2021

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Trig Discipline posted:

I’m where you are in the show as well and it definitely feels like it’s slowly getting better. I basically had to force myself to watch the first few episodes, didn’t like any of the characters, and couldn’t get into it. That’s changing though! I’ve finally started to not hate Quentin and I’m going to stick with it this time! Hopefully! :unsmith:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Perennial Terriers plug

Greatest 1 season show of all time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HOLY gently caress posted:

I’m where you are in the show as well and it definitely feels like it’s slowly getting better. I basically had to force myself to watch the first few episodes, didn’t like any of the characters, and couldn’t get into it. That’s changing though! I’ve finally started to not hate Quentin and I’m going to stick with it this time! Hopefully! :unsmith:

Most of the characters, fortunately, become less hateable as the show goes on.

Two characters that had seemed kind of pointless for most of the first season (Kady and Margo) became my favorites by mid-season 2.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've been binging my way through Guy's Grocery Games

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

Yeah early Quentin reminded me way too much of this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ka2nkIi2I

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

sparksbloom posted:

Rewatching Six Feet Under for like the fifth or sixth time and looking for recs of this kind of show — low-stakes dramedy with some amount of depth. Mad Men and Succession scratch the same itch for me. Also really loved Enlightened.

I'd say Atlanta and second Rectify, Halt and Catch Fire, Lodge 49 and Terriers.

If you're willing to up the stakes a little into people committing mortal sins I'd also very much suggest Barry and Patriot. The Americans is great, but Mu Zeta was absolutely right on the stakes and it being about as grim and serious as you'll get from contemporary TV drama.

For the record both HaCF and Americans have weaker first seasons and build strength from there, I don't think this is a controversial take.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks to everyone who recommended Ted Lasso as a light-hearted, mostly drama-free show. It's funny and nice and just generally a pleasure to watch.

My wife and I don't mind dark shows sometimes, but we need a nightly "settle down" show that we can watch while our hyper-anxious dog falls asleep. That's not the best time for either of us to watch The Americans or Breaking Bad. (Or The Magicians, which was giving my wife nightmares after watching it too late at night.)

So far we've gone through the entire run of the Great British Baking Show, Taskmaster, and now most of Ted Lasso. I think we might do Mythic Quest next.

Does anyone have suggestions for similarly lighthearted shows that aren't obnoxiously cloying? In a couple more weeks we're going to need something new to watch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Schitt’s Creek

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

withak posted:

Schitt’s Creek

Honestly, I know nothing of the show other than that the pun of its name instantly turned me off. Which I know is a dumb reason to write something off, so I'll give it a look. Thanks!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had the exact same reaction for the longest time and I'm currently watching through it for the third time in the last year. Its just wonderful and heartwarming.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended Ted Lasso as a light-hearted, mostly drama-free show. It's funny and nice and just generally a pleasure to watch.

My wife and I don't mind dark shows sometimes, but we need a nightly "settle down" show that we can watch while our hyper-anxious dog falls asleep. That's not the best time for either of us to watch The Americans or Breaking Bad. (Or The Magicians, which was giving my wife nightmares after watching it too late at night.)

So far we've gone through the entire run of the Great British Baking Show, Taskmaster, and now most of Ted Lasso. I think we might do Mythic Quest next.

Does anyone have suggestions for similarly lighthearted shows that aren't obnoxiously cloying? In a couple more weeks we're going to need something new to watch.

As UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST just mentioned, Atlanta is absolutely fantastic. It's just a very unique show which sort of drifts from a very grounded sort of deadpan humor into completely unexpected bits of surrealism. I'd watch just about anything with Donald Glover, Lakeith Stanfield, or Zazie Beetz in it and Atlanta has all three. It's also really cemented Hiro Murai in my mind as a director to follow, and his work on Barry only reinforces that.

Have you seen Please Like Me? It's got some dramatic moments but is mostly very light-hearted and sweet, and is one of those great shows where even characters who start off as unlikeable eventually become quite sympathetic. If I had to sum up its worldview succinctly, it's something like "everyone's trying to be a good person, but some people aren't as good at it as others".

Of course if you like Taskmaster you also have just a never-ending fountain of other British panel shows to choose from, which all essentially have the same rotating cast of a few dozen comedians. The Big Fat Quiz, Eight Out Of Ten Cats, Eight Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown, QI, Richard Osman's House of Games, etc. I mostly knew all of those people from Taskmaster until I got stuck in quarantine for most of three months and started watching the other shows. It's a lot of fun going "Oh it's Aisling Bea! And Russell Howard! And Alex Horne!" It's just the same crowd over and over but they're all so fun that it's always worth watching. There's also a never-ending set of Taskmaster spinoffs. The American version wasn't great, but the new NZ version and the Norwegian one were both pretty good.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

WhiteHowler posted:

Maybe Santa Clarita Diet? It not only has a great core cast, but lots of great supporting players. One caveat is it can be pretty gory, but it's usually in juxtaposition to a good helping of goofiness. It also got cut by Netflix after three seasons and really could've used a proper conclusion.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Americans is pretty high stakes and almost zero comedy with the exception of the goofy disguises. That said, it's an amazing show.

YOU RESPECT JESUS BUT NOT US was comedy gold for me

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Trig Discipline posted:

As UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST just mentioned, Atlanta is absolutely fantastic.
We watched and loved Atlanta when it first aired, and I hate that there may never be any more. It has so much potential left.

quote:

It's also really cemented Hiro Murai in my mind as a director to follow, and his work on Barry only reinforces that.
I enjoyed season 1 of Barry, but it's hard for me to enjoy a comedy centered around a person who's basically irredeemable (especially after the events at the end of the first season). Decided not to stick with it after that.

quote:

Have you seen Please Like Me? It's got some dramatic moments but is mostly very light-hearted and sweet, and is one of those great shows where even characters who start off as unlikeable eventually become quite sympathetic.
No, but I will check it out! I don't mind unappealing characters, even if they never become likeable -- all of the characters in Search Party are still awful after four seasons, and I love that show.

quote:

Of course if you like Taskmaster you also have just a never-ending fountain of other British panel shows to choose from, which all essentially have the same rotating cast of a few dozen comedians. The Big Fat Quiz, Eight Out Of Ten Cats, Eight Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown, QI, Richard Osman's House of Games, etc.
I checked out the UK TV megathread but the landscape is so broad, and none of the panel shows I've sampled quite reached the heights of Taskmaster.

We also absolutely love Korean variety and competition shows (Running Man, The Genius, The Great Escape, etc.), but we tend to avoid shows with subtitles during "settle down" time, because we're often also tending to the dog or getting snacks or whatever.

PizzaProwler posted:

Maybe Santa Clarita Diet? It not only has a great core cast, but lots of great supporting players. One caveat is it can be pretty gory, but it's usually in juxtaposition to a good helping of goofiness. It also got cut by Netflix after three seasons and really could've used a proper conclusion.
Watched it, loved it, super-pissed at Netflix for cancelling it. Same story with GLOW, which is another generally lighthearted show (with a bit of drama, but nothing I found too depressing).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I checked out the UK TV megathread but the landscape is so broad, and none of the panel shows I've sampled quite reached the heights of Taskmaster.

Yeah it's my favorite of all of them by a substantial margin.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

We watched and loved Atlanta when it first aired, and I hate that there may never be any more. It has so much potential left.

According to Wikipedia, seasons 3 and 4 are filming right now!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Have you seen What We Do In The Shadows?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just started binging Girls5Eva. I had low expectations because I didn't think I was the target audience but I'm surprised at how funny it is. Also, the musical numbers are on point and it has one of my favorite causes of death: the girl who swam off the end of an Infinity Pool.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

isaboo posted:

Have you seen What We Do In The Shadows?

No. It looks fun. I know it's generally played for silliness, but how much actually spooky imagery is there? My wife is prone to weird dreams if we watch anything creepy or gory just before bed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

WhiteHowler posted:

No. It looks fun. I know it's generally played for silliness, but how much actually spooky imagery is there? My wife is prone to weird dreams if we watch anything creepy or gory just before bed.

None. There might be some campy-mock horror (like someone hissing with fangs out) but there isn’t anything creepy (that I remember)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

started travelers, a few EPs in and the abusive husband character is already pissing me off

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

started travelers, a few EPs in and the abusive husband character is already pissing me off

Have fun with that!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have fun with that!

does it really go on for the entire run

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

does it really go on for the entire run

Almost all of it. And it never gets better haha. Sorry man.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Almost all of it. And it never gets better haha. Sorry man.

Jesus gently caress

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Finished Travelers today. Really nice surprise of a show, thanks for the recs for it here. Jeff the cop is usually a pretty small part of the episodes so I wouldn’t abandon the show just because of him.

We also have watched a couple of other short series.

Gentified: (Netflix) take on facing change in a Latinx neighborhood. Most of the characters have their charm. It’s not earth shattering but it was a fun watch.

The Truth Will Out (Acorn/Prime) Swedish crime series. Pretty good but maybe not my favorite. It’s a little funnier than most shows in this genre that I’ve seen. The main character is a bit of a sad sack at first but we found it worth it to get through to the end of the season. It’s definitely not as intense/dreamy as Trapped, Wisting, Rebecca Martinson...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also started Girls5eva and it's really funny. It's weird how we're at the point of having nostalgia for the 2000s/ MTV TRL era already? The release of the show is perfect timing with that Britney Spears documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I finished the first season of Jupiter’s Legacy. It was alright I guess. I do enjoy me some superhero’s but this once felt a little lacking. Especially in the production design.

I hope the story picks up in the season 2. I’m curious to see where it goes.