Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

MightyJoe36 posted:

Same here. Also, I started watching Mare of Easttown last night. Three episodes in and I'm hooked.

I ended up starting that late afternoon on Saturday....luckily. Gave me enough time to finish late that night. I'd suggest binging the rest if you only have four left to go. It'll be tough to shut off at certain points.

Two seasons down on Killing Eve. Another really great show. Can quickly pivot between light and dark tone. Sandra Oh is great as the M16 op. Jodie Comer is the real gem here, though. Plays a completely psychotic assassin....who is also downright adorable at times. Supporting cast is all very good. Just a solid all around show.

Think once I'm caught up here....I'm finally going to dive into Six Feet Under. Been on my list for a long time....and there's been some chatter about it here recently. The Americans will probably come after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Think once I'm caught up here....I'm finally going to dive into Six Feet Under. Been on my list for a long time....and there's been some chatter about it here recently. The Americans will probably come after that.

Put me on the list of people who highly recommend Six Feet Under.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'd suggest binging the rest if you only have four left to go. It'll be tough to shut off at certain points.

Sharing a tip I picked up recently that has helped me keep a balance- stopping the show in the mid point when there’s a natural lull. You don’t feel the need to start the new episode right away, but still get the tension when you are engaged.

I’m almost done with The Leftovers, I think either the Americans or Six Feet is on my list too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I’m almost done with The Leftovers, I think either the Americans or Six Feet is on my list too.

I'm on the Leftovers now. I haven't seen Six Feet yet, but The Americans is just some of the greatest TV I've ever seen.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We stumbled on a pretty good police procedural from a few years ago, Scott and Bailey. It's basically a Cagney and Lacey, following two female detectives in the Major Incident Unit in Manchester. It's got a fairly mellow pace which we liked, not the hyper-jittery camera/everything ends in SWAT or a car chase, and usually not the super-heavy style of like a Broadchurch either. A lot of the "work" is in interviews/interrogations but not so much as Criminal:UK. The cases can be really dark but the show isn't gratuitous.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just started the Americans. The pilot was very good.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just started the Americans. The pilot was very good.

You're in for a hell of a ride.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
My wife and I are looking for something really short and relaxing to watch right before bedtime. Right now we are going through Grace and Frankie, but each episode is right about 30 minutes and some are pretty heavy topics. Drunk History used to be our go-to until we finished it, since we could just watch one segment and the full episodes are only 22 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Tequila25 posted:

My wife and I are looking for something really short and relaxing to watch right before bedtime. Right now we are going through Grace and Frankie, but each episode is right about 30 minutes and some are pretty heavy topics. Drunk History used to be our go-to until we finished it, since we could just watch one segment and the full episodes are only 22 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Other Space, short run light hearted Canadian scifi series with a lot of "before they were famous" roles. It's all on YouTube right now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 9, 2021

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Ted Lasso

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Tequila25 posted:

Any suggestions?

Ted Lasso
Parks and Recreation
Search Party
The Office
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Dave
Letterkenny

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'll keep recommending Starstruck and We Are Lady Parts. Two really charming shows and only 6 episodes each. Basically like watching a movie.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tequila25 posted:

Any suggestions?

My wife and I do the exact same thing. Our recent watchlist:

Letterkenny
Taskmaster
Ted Lasso
Mythic Quest
What We Do in the Shadows

Mythic Quest has a few serious themes occasionally, but generally it keeps things very lighthearted.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Finished the first season of Evil; good stuff. I already said this but it's a lot campier than the expectations set by the first two eps--but after the penultimate episode of the season I know now it had to be very deliberate. I like how by TV rules there's clearly something supernatural going on, but that realistically, almost everything could be explained by severe apophenia on the part of what the script chooses to show us.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Five episodes into The Gift on netflix. This would be an intriguing story, but every single character is such an insufferable rear end in a top hat. There needs to be some sort of slapstick comedy relief moments where they all punch each other in the face or something. This is like Raiders of the Lost Ark, but with the characters from Arrested Development, but played completely straight.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Working through Patriot. Took some time to get the vibe of the show but it's a delight. It's got its own style but the closest I can describe it as it's like depressive Burn After Reading with marginally more competent but significantly more unlucky characters. And it can be incredibly loving funny.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

sad question posted:

Working through Patriot. Took some time to get the vibe of the show but it's a delight. It's got its own style but the closest I can describe it as it's like depressive Burn After Reading with marginally more competent but significantly more unlucky characters. And it can be incredibly loving funny.

Yup. Definitely have to get through a couple episodes to really get into it. Then it is fantastic. Same with Perpetual Grace LTD.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

I've started watching Bordertown, which follows the life of a top cop who moves to a town close to the Russian border - set in Finland.
I thought it was quite interesting that the first case went on for like, four episodes! I'm way more used to cases in shows like this being wrapped up across 1-2 eps. Seems good so far

I used to live in the town they did that show; while very nice, I think it is humorous enough to mention that the high bridge and the straight with the wind turbines are actually highways away from the metropolitan area in to the rural. So almost every time he is given a case, he jumps to a car and drives away fast. :D

Also, one of the doors at the university he visit on a later episode and uses is a door to a cleaning closet. So instead of going in to interview suspects after getting more information, he goes to hide in a closet.

I know that this is perfectly normal stuff for cinematic reasons and also Wallander suffers from the same stuff. (Ystad is really, really small place).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sign me up as sold on Evil

Would never have heard of this if it were not for this thread

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
After giving season 2 of The Gift a chance, I realized why I hate it: it's privilege naval-gazing. A lady who has a literal cult devoted to her family, and a bunch of people who were all born adopted rich, ruin countless peoples' lives (including each others') and then insultingly justify it by saying "don't worry, all things happen for a reason and these things just needed to happen" while obsessing over the cosmic significance of their own farts. The entire second season is literally "sorry about all your dead babies, anonymous poors who don't matter, but I will bend time and space to make sure my baby is born healthy, because that will inspire the rest of the world to stop dying in childbirth once they witness the miracle of my precious spawn." If you told me this show was privately funded by the Gates Foundation or something, I would believe it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just watched the first two eps of the new season and if I wasn't sure before if the campy aspects of the show were on purpose, I am now. I'm positive they made this just so someone would gif it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Same it's pretty fun

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Evil owns. I’m glad more people are getting into it!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I just rewatched Devs and I was still completely enthralled the whole way. I love the look and tone of it, the soundtrack is seriously incredible, the whole thing just oozes atmosphere. I get the sense that maybe it was a little divisive? Watching it again, I think the only thing that doesn't quite work is The way everyone talks about Lily Chen is just so at odds with what we see of her character. Like yes, she's been through this very traumatic experience so there's a quiet intensity to her portrayal, but it still feels like a stretch how everyone's constantly going on about how charming and funny and headstrong she is, like there's some incredibly unique spark in her. which is a shame, because I think the character's performance is still really good and intense, it just feels at odds with the rest of the script sometimes. But did anyone but me really love Devs? It was one of those shows I couldn't stop thinking about for ages after the first watch.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Devs a lot, and also just finished rewatching it recently. This scene in particular just fucks me up completely (linked for spoilers)

This may be kinda weird but the thing that initially made me want to rewatch it was realizing that I somehow made it entirely through the first viewing without realizing that Lyndon was in fact a woman in her twenties, not a teenage boy. Maybe other people saw that immediately but I 100% did not notice.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Grumbles posted:

I just rewatched Devs and I was still completely enthralled the whole way.

The show is severly underrated and one of the best experimental TV shows of 2020. You either love it or hate it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We binged through Mad Men between March and June, and it was terrific. Neither my wife nor I had any interest when it aired, and in fact we each thought we would hate it. But now we see why it is considered in the pantheon of all-time greatest shows.

After that, we tore through the final seasons of Bosch (I'm glad it is still returning as a retooled show) and The Bold Type, which is one of my wife's favorites. I'm definitely not the target audience, but I like what I've seen for having the best depiction of female friendships (far better than Sex and the City) and being one of the few workplace shows that focuses on people actually doing their jobs.

Then I resubscribed to HBO Max, and we tore through Made For Love in three nights. It was uncomfortable, and I can't say I enjoyed, but Cristin Milioti is a drat treasure. Now I'm four episodes into Warrior, which I watch after my wife goes to bed because it's not her thing, but it is very much my poo poo. Last night we binged the first three episodes of Mare of Easttown together, which we both like. It reminds me of True Detective and Sharp Objects, and that Denis Villeneuve movie Prisoners, at least so far.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

I liked Devs a lot, and also just finished rewatching it recently. This scene in particular just fucks me up completely (linked for spoilers)

This may be kinda weird but the thing that initially made me want to rewatch it was realizing that I somehow made it entirely through the first viewing without realizing that Lyndon was in fact a woman in her twenties, not a teenage boy. Maybe other people saw that immediately but I 100% did not notice.
Yeah, though it's worth clarifying that character of Lyndon is 100% a teenage boy. Really smart casting though. On that incredibly spoilery video (please do not watch if you haven't seen Devs), one thing that struck me on the rewatch which I didn't notice the first time was that The experiment isn't a perfect one, because Lyndon has made the wrong assumption that many worlds necessarily means there are worlds in which he survives. The sequence shows that even though he falls differently in each possible future, he still falls in every single one, and there just isn't a possible outcome in which he doesn't fall. Like, there are many possible branching points from that moment, but not that many. I really like how that ties into the central theme of tech people overestimating the profundity of their work.

Also, especially having gone into it completely blind, which I think is the best way to watch it, I really liked how in the first episode Anton is being set up as the protagonist, the first 3/4 of the first episode are completely laser-focused on him, you feel like it's going to be about his journey through Devs, and then the show very abruptly switches to the real protagonist. Also, hilariously, my friends who I watched it with got all outraged at how prejudiced Kenton was being during Anton's initial interview, calling his trustworthiness into question just because he was Russian.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought Devs was pretty bad. It didn't seem like they really knew where to go with it, there were a lots of things that didn't really seem fully developed, and it felt like they didn't really have enough material to fill the whole season.

It probably would have worked better as a movie (I'm thinking of Ex Machina, for example).

I also thought they were going for a different ending because it felt like they were randomly starting to try to make the antagonists seem sympathetic toward the end, but this made absolutely no sense given the actual ending.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Devs in general, but having it end with the protagonist arbitrarily breaking determinism with no explanation was such a lame copout. How can we be free in a deterministic universe? Well, just make a different choice than the pre-determined one, duh.

Very beautiful show, though. Definitely worth a watch.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SimonChris posted:

I liked Devs in general, but having it end with the protagonist arbitrarily breaking determinism with no explanation was such a lame copout. How can we be free in a deterministic universe? Well, just make a different choice than the pre-determined one, duh.

Very beautiful show, though. Definitely worth a watch.

I remember being bothered by this the first time round, but on the rewatch it was more apparent that a very small number of people have used Devs up to this point and seen their futures, and Lily's the first person to push through and do the opposite of what she's been shown - it's essentially because she's just watched what she's about to do, and also isn't a tech entrepreneur and fundamentally doesn't believe in the technology. The implication is that the two tech people who have glimpsed their futures are kind of zealots, and so they just don't have it in them to push through that barrier and do something else in the moment. . Like I don't think the ending is handled super elegantly, and part of why it feels like a cop-out is more the weird characterisation of the protagonist as an unpredictable wild child that isn't reflected in her performance . But man, what a beautiful ride up to that point. Just perfectly cast, perfectly paced, and stunning to look at/listen to.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Hate-watching Money Heist. The biggest heists are the time I will have lost by the time I get to the end of the series and the space it’s taking up in my head. The concept isn’t bad but the writing and dialogue are pretty uneven. Most of the characters aren’t interesting enough to care about their morality and not heroic enough to straight-up root for. I know it’s supposed to be winking at the audience a lot but to my eye it’s still taking itself way too seriously to be campy. And yet I’m still watching.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Buttchocks posted:

After giving season 2 of The Gift a chance, I realized why I hate it: it's privilege naval-gazing. A lady who has a literal cult devoted to her family, and a bunch of people who were all born adopted rich, ruin countless peoples' lives (including each others') and then insultingly justify it by saying "don't worry, all things happen for a reason and these things just needed to happen" while obsessing over the cosmic significance of their own farts. The entire second season is literally "sorry about all your dead babies, anonymous poors who don't matter, but I will bend time and space to make sure my baby is born healthy, because that will inspire the rest of the world to stop dying in childbirth once they witness the miracle of my precious spawn." If you told me this show was privately funded by the Gates Foundation or something, I would believe it.

To me it just feels like nothing is ever really explained. She has some power but it’s kind of fuzzy what it really is and hasn’t really helped anything of importance. One of those rare shows I just refuse to finish (noped out on season 3) despite the time already invested.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched the Black Monday pilot. After my recent Happy Endings rewatch, I think this might be right up my alley.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Devs was exactly my kind of show, just an incredible combination of visuals, music and tone in every second of it. It's been a long time since I've seen a show that has so much style. I loved the moodiness and pacing and felt like the story wrapped up perfectly in the end.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 13, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Just watched the Black Monday pilot. After my recent Happy Endings rewatch, I think this might be right up my alley.

I love Black Monday. You have so much great stuff to come -- not just hilarious, but really complex and full of twists and turns.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have nothing to add but when yall were talking about the show Devs I thought you were talking about Dave, the Hulu show with Lil Dicky and I was surprised at how deep you were all portraying it as.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They were airing seasons at the same time too. It was very confusing

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked everything about Devs apart from the title, really. The title made me think it was like a sitcom about software devs for way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Daves