Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Rhyno posted:

we're forming a brute squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

While I like all of BCS, the first season was such a perfectly self-contained origin story for Saul Goodman that part of me wishes it had ended there. Having them roll back his final decision at the beginning of season 2 felt really jarring.

It was the best decision they ever made though. Having it be because the events of s1 felt pretty unearned and the way they eventually came to it was way more satisfying

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Keyser_Soze posted:

Christian Slater's character is clearly the audience.

He's pretty much a match for the real life guy. Dr. Kirby is as Slater portrays him, irreverent, funny, and a clear contrast to his counterpart, who is also portrayed (by Alec Baldwin) appropriately as conservative and reserved. If you go to the podcast's page, they have a conversation between Slater and Dr. Kirby, and if anything, Slater might have underplayed him. They were supposed to meet before shooting the show but Covid killed that, so they didn't get to meet until the Tribecca Film Festival premiere where they showed the pilot.

Anyway, I binged the podcast yesterday and stayed up too late watching the first two episodes of the mini-series. They compliment each other well. Each of the botched surgeries discussed in the podcast are distinct enough that as you see them portrayed on the show, you know what's coming and it makes it agonizing.

Does anyone know why they didn't go for a negligent homicide charge instead of the roundabout, novel way they did it? The legal reasoning seemed iffy to me and in fact, the appeals court panel was not unanimous in upholding the conviction (2-1). Some version of negligent homicide seems like a slam dunk.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm embarrassed to report that I'm caught up on Servant: What if Dobie the house elf was hot?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

On the threads recommendation I have watched the first season of Six Feet Under. I like it but also kind of hate it. Every moment of Billy is bad and I hope plots involving him are done, but I'm guessing no. For an early 2000s show, I'm assuming the David character made some people pretty angry?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

phosdex posted:

On the threads recommendation I have watched the first season of Six Feet Under. I like it but also kind of hate it. Every moment of Billy is bad and I hope plots involving him are done, but I'm guessing no. For an early 2000s show, I'm assuming the David character made some people pretty angry?

I don't think people became angry about the David character until after he became a lumberjack.

That said I watched SFU when it aired and followed it online and I don't remember people being angry because he is gay (I assume that is what you are asking). I'm sure some people were, but it would be the same idiots that would be upset about it in 2021.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

He's pretty much a match for the real life guy. Dr. Kirby is as Slater portrays him, irreverent, funny, and a clear contrast to his counterpart, who is also portrayed (by Alec Baldwin) appropriately as conservative and reserved. If you go to the podcast's page, they have a conversation between Slater and Dr. Kirby, and if anything, Slater might have underplayed him. They were supposed to meet before shooting the show but Covid killed that, so they didn't get to meet until the Tribecca Film Festival premiere where they showed the pilot.

Anyway, I binged the podcast yesterday and stayed up too late watching the first two episodes of the mini-series. They compliment each other well. Each of the botched surgeries discussed in the podcast are distinct enough that as you see them portrayed on the show, you know what's coming and it makes it agonizing.

Does anyone know why they didn't go for a negligent homicide charge instead of the roundabout, novel way they did it? The legal reasoning seemed iffy to me and in fact, the appeals court panel was not unanimous in upholding the conviction (2-1). Some version of negligent homicide seems like a slam dunk.

I dunno if this is true or played up for the show but I think they were afraid that once he got out of jail hed find a place to start practicing again.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I dunno if this is true or played up for the show but I think they were afraid that once he got out of jail hed find a place to start practicing again.

I looked up the Texas negligent homicide law and that would appear to be the case. The maximum penalty is only two years. However, his crimes also fit manslaughter, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years. I don't think you'd have much trouble convincing that jury or the judge, I don't remember who does the sentencing, to give him two twenty year sentences served consecutively, but that could leave him eligible for parole in twenty years.

Given that the murder charge was such a huge gamble, I wonder if they considered letting him plead guilty to a charge that put him away for at least twenty but with the chance of parole after that and the condition that he never practice medicine again.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
up to season 5 on my supernatural rewatch and LMFAO i forgot Paris Hilton guest starred

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Not sure who mentioned 'Wayne' on Amazon Prime.....but excellent show. 'Patriot' level under the radar show that EVERYONE should watch. Through three episodes and I'm absolutely loving it. Incredibly funny and heartfelt. All the characters are great. Violent without going overboard. Watch it. Do it now.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 8, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wayne was too good for this world.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Wayne was too good for this world.

Love the 'Pee Wee's Big Adventure' style where every episode they meet someone along the way that they befriend and who (usually) helps them along. I see mentions of people hoping that Amazon picks it up for a second season. I'm only through four episodes.....but it seems like this would be a self contained, one season type thing. Guess I need to keep watching. I will say that once I'm through the ten episodes....I'll undoubtedly want more.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, I just canceled my HBO Max subscription after a month, before it billed me again for the next month. But my wife and I binged A LOT of good stuff in that month:

Together:
Mare of Easttown (only one season; we both loved it)
Made for Love (only one season; I didn't care for it)
Hacks (only one season; it grew on me)
The Knick (both seasons; we both liked it, but it was constantly punching us in the gut with misery and bleakness)

By myself:
Warrior (both seasons; absolutely loved it)
Jett (only one season; liked it)
Joe Pera Talks to You (about half of Season 2, but I can catch the rest on Youtube TV on demand; I love it but she doesn't get it)

And we watched these movies:
In the Heights (I loved it, she hated it)
Bringing Up Baby (we both loved it)
Little Shop of Horrors (we've seen it before and both love it)
Matchstick Men (we've seen it before and both love it)
The Suicide Squad (I was a little disappointed, she hated it)
The Man With the Iron Fists (by myself; liked it well enough)
No Sudden Moves (by myself; liked it well enough)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 8, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shooda stayed another month to watch White Lotus.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
Was I the only one who enjoyed Made For Love?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nundizo posted:

Was I the only one who enjoyed Made For Love?

Nah I enjoyed it too. Wish it had been longer though, I felt like it was just scratching the surface of its concepts and weirdness and then the season stopped.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We enjoyed it quite a bit.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I haven't seen chatter anywhere about it but I love The White Lotus on HBO Max. The soundtrack is even more incredible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
While I'm in the middle of ripping Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman for my Kindle, I got back to watching Barney Miller. I had watched the first three seasons, so I picked up on season four.

Miller is interesting in that about 90% of the show takes place in the squad room/Barney's office. Police departments all over the country complimented the show on its realism is showing the tedious side of police work.

One of the writers, Reinhold Weege, would later go on to create Night Court.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Dr. Death on Peacock is both fascinating and terrifying.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nuts and Gum posted:

I haven't seen chatter anywhere about it but I love The White Lotus on HBO Max. The soundtrack is even more incredible.

Check out Utopia if you haven't. Same guy and it's the same menacing nightmare music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnN3WMwDsk

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mister Kingdom posted:

While I'm in the middle of ripping Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman for my Kindle, I got back to watching Barney Miller. I had watched the first three seasons, so I picked up on season four.

Miller is interesting in that about 90% of the show takes place in the squad room/Barney's office. Police departments all over the country complimented the show on its realism is showing the tedious side of police work.

One of the writers, Reinhold Weege, would later go on to create Night Court.

Reinhold is Dan Fielding's middle name!

God I love Night Court. The episodes where they had to handle X number of cases before midnight or whatever were great, especially the one where a guy had "tortoise nervosa" and talked so slowly Dan almost had a stroke. I think he was set to meet a really hot stewardess or something once all the cases were done. But hell that could have been any episode, really.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

Definitely. It's so good already, and I can't wait for the beautiful train wrecks we're likely to see in the finale. The drugged out hotel manager and the rear end in a top hat newlywed momma's boy are such a perfect pair.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mu Zeta posted:

Check out Utopia if you haven't. Same guy and it's the same menacing nightmare music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnN3WMwDsk

This looks like my jam. Thanks!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Definitely. It's so good already, and I can't wait for the beautiful train wrecks we're likely to see in the finale. The drugged out hotel manager and the rear end in a top hat newlywed momma's boy are such a perfect pair.

Just finished ep4. So loving good. Yeah that combo is so perfect! They really deserve each other.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I know for sure that we watched both seasons of Utopia and yet I honestly don't remember it at all other than a general impression of it being good. I need to watch it again someday.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

What the difference between the UK version of Utopia and the recent US version? Which one would you recommend?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The original UK one is the one people recommend.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Trig Discipline posted:

I know for sure that we watched both seasons of Utopia and yet I honestly don't remember it at all other than a general impression of it being good. I need to watch it again someday.

To be fair it was a lot of style over substance. I liked it but I don't feel like I need to watch it again. Also the subject matter hits way too close to home right now.

edit: skip the American remake. David Fincher was originally going to do it for HBO but he quit and whoever took over sucks.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The American remake is a curs-ed, vile thing. The original is amazing. Hits a bit different in pandemic times too.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
Reservation Dogs is already my favourite show this year and it only has two episodes out

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Watching Patriot and we loved the first season…we’ve watched two episodes of season 2 and it kinda feels like it’s falling off the rails? Does it get better?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nwin posted:

Watching Patriot and we loved the first season…we’ve watched two episodes of season 2 and it kinda feels like it’s falling off the rails? Does it get better?

Second season is very different. I didn't really get it tbh, but there are fans here.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not sure who mentioned 'Wayne' on Amazon Prime.....but excellent show. 'Patriot' level under the radar show that EVERYONE should watch.

Bold claim! However, I'll have to add it to my list to check out.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Second season is very different. I didn't really get it tbh, but there are fans here.

Hear, Hear. I've rewatched S1 countless times but I don't think I have gone back to S2 other than for a few scenes. It felt like the long delay in between seasons kind of threw off the magic a little. Also, I much prefer the music in S1.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Patriot is really good. Watched like 6 episodes over the weekend. Glad I finally paid attention to all the folk mentioning it in here.

It kinda reminds me of Achewood for some reason even though the more obvious comparison is something like Burn After Reading. Something about the characters and dialogue.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

nwin posted:

I remember it starting slow. But it absolutely ramps up.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You only need to make it halfway and 1 more scene, then you'll be fine.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not sure who mentioned 'Wayne' on Amazon Prime.....but excellent show. 'Patriot' level under the radar show that EVERYONE should watch. Through three episodes and I'm absolutely loving it. Incredibly funny and heartfelt. All the characters are great. Violent without going overboard. Watch it. Do it now.

Wayne was great start to finish so I hope you love it as much as most of us did. Wayne and Patriot are two TVIV beloved picks and I am so glad that I followed their recommendation. As much as Wayne went to some dark places for some reason I always felt positive after watching it. Really, really hope it gets at least one more season. Really good show. Another great TVIV recommendation is Ted Lasso. A million times different than Wayne but drat if I don't feel just hopeful about life after watching it.

Raspberry Bang posted:

What the difference between the UK version of Utopia and the recent US version? Which one would you recommend?

As Chef said: its a cursed vile thing. Even separating it from the original show it is poorly made soulless very "genericly" american show that attempts to be edgy and substitutes any kind of nuance or artistic qualities with shouting, guns and more shouting. One of their attempts to make the main character edgy instead just killed any sympathy you might have had with her and made the rest of the gang look even more ridiculous for staying near her. Really the whole thing felt like a waste of time and most of the cast involved. Only thing I can say I enjoyed about it was that it introduced me to Chelsea Wolfe and the song "Survive" which makes me happy.

Side note: White Lotus has been excellent so far but it is NOT a feel good happy time. These people are terrible and, as someone who lives in a tourist spot and near a larger tourist trap, I can verify it captures rich white Americans perfectly and is giving me PTSD. I'm sure someone will "slow talk" or ask where they are really from to one of the Hawaiians at some point if I haven't already missed it. Arg.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

Side note: White Lotus has been excellent so far but it is NOT a feel good happy time. These people are terrible and, as someone who lives in a tourist spot and near a larger tourist trap, I can verify it captures rich white Americans perfectly and is giving me PTSD. I'm sure someone will "slow talk" or ask where they are really from to one of the Hawaiians at some point if I haven't already missed it. Arg.

When it's just rich white people being so toxic that they're miserable in paradise, it's pretty feel good to me. It's when their actions crash down upon the regular folk that I get anxious. Also, I wasn't prepared for just how rich we were talking about :

:commissar:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

You only need to make it halfway and 1 more scene, then you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wayne was great start to finish so I hope you love it as much as most of us did. Wayne and Patriot are two TVIV beloved picks and I am so glad that I followed their recommendation. As much as Wayne went to some dark places for some reason I always felt positive after watching it. Really, really hope it gets at least one more season. Really good show. Another great TVIV recommendation is Ted Lasso. A million times different than Wayne but drat if I don't feel just hopeful about life after watching it.

Yup. Absolutely loved it. Really hope that it gets new life on Amazon.....seeing as how there's still places that they can go with it. My guess is that it gets renewed. I have a feeling that it's going to be one of those shows that is going to spread like wildfire as word continues to get around.

Wrapped up 'Dr. Death' on Peacock. Another super solid limited series. Both compelling and terrifying. Based on the true story of Christopher Duntsch, the Dallas area neurosurgeon who injured, paralyzed, or killed 33 of his 38 patients in a span of two years between 2012 and 2014. He was one of the first physicians to be convicted on criminal charges for his medical procedures....since the standard of proof to convict a doctor is so high.

Moves at a really good pace and held my attention throughout. Just astonishing that due to how the hospitals work, and how much money runs through them, this guy had all of these massive red flags from his god complex to his string of botched surgeries....one after another.....and he was still able to easily move from hospital to hospital hurting and killing people while his issues were buried. Really took a sharp stick to these Dallas area hospitals throughout the run.....which is completely warranted. Makes you wonder why nobody else involved could have been held criminally negligent.

Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater are both great as always....playing other doctors that come across Duntsch's path and end up working to help the district attorney with the case to put him in jail. They also executive produced the show. Joshua Jackson plays Christopher Duntsch. I was already a fan of his because of the excellent show Fringe. He's terrific. Another high recommendation.