Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Ratatozsk posted:

If you're interested, there's a Twin Peak Thread. It's not exactly jumping, but if you're looking to share some Lynch love or get some encouragement to make it through the middle of Season 2, head on over.

Thanks for the heads up. Spoiler tags aren't enough to stop me from ruining things for myself so I think I'll wait until I get through at least the first season. This seems like the kind of show that really shines with the slow reveal, so hopefully I'll see you soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Twin Peaks was loving awesome. Probably my favorite dramatic show ever at least for season 1 up until the resolution of the main plot.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know, I think just about everyone is pretty annoying at the moment. Okay I'm still cool with Miles I guess, and Hurley when he pulls a geeky reference out of his fat rear end. But the rest? gently caress 'em. Even Sawyer, a character I loved even through season 5, is just getting :rolleyes: at this point with all the drama.

And Kate is way worse than Claire and Shannon, mostly because they at least aren't main characters and thus aren't in the forefront of every episode.

I actually agree with you mostly about season 2, but to be more specific I think all of the problems started when they actually went into the hatch. It just kind of snowballed after that, with the focus jumping in and around stuff that ultimately I didn't care about.

I guess I like season 1 the most because it was more about surviving in a bizarre and surreal environment all alone. Then they got so caught up in blue balls and mysteries and science-fiction and it just kind got to be too much.

E: That isn't to say I haven't enjoyed enough episodes here and there to make it worthwhile. The season 3 finale is still my favorite episode alongside "Walkabout", and season 4 in general felt really solid and a more return to form because it was something you could wrap your head around.

Yeah I guess it really depends on why you watch the show. Personally, the crazier and harder to follow it gets, the more I love it. But I'm not one of those guys who goes around defending my pet shows and saying things like "you just can't take a show that doesn't hold your hand," your reaction is perfectly understandable because you want something different from the show than it wants to give you. And a lot of people have had that reaction to Lost, because it has changed so much.

I guess all this to say, well, you don't like it as much, but I still love it. Nothing is more subjective than that, but I think it's worth liking, not only despite, but because of, the sheer craziness. And the characters are a mixed bag, in something I think is analogous to later BSG, where they have all been pushed so far beyond their limits of endurance and comprehension that they aren't really normal or likeable people anymore. For some viewers that really falls flat and there's nothing anyone can say to change your opinion.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just blew through How to make it in America and it enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a lot like Entourage for obvious reasons and I found that to be a good thing. Especially since it's starting to feel like the characters in Entourage are getting a bit stale/wearing thin. This show is a great answer to that since it's basically the same show but with different characters and set in New York instead of L.A.

Highly recommended.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Aww poo poo :lost: Season 2

I was really beginning to come around to Anna Lucia and her tighter-than-tight jeans, gently caress you Michael :mad:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mr. Sloth posted:

Aww poo poo :lost: Season 2

I was really beginning to come around to Anna Lucia and her tighter-than-tight jeans, gently caress you Michael :mad:

I believe that single moment generated the most consecutive "Holy poo poo!" type posts out of any thread in TVIV before or since.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So as I mentioned earlier I've been binging Ashes to Ashes.

The end of season 2 was amazing. I am SO glad I didn't have to wait before watching the first episode of season 3. Plus, I don't think that any "changed" opening to any show has ever made me as happy as the change in Alex's monologue from season 1, to 2, to 3.

quote:

"My name is Alex Drake I've just been shot and that bullet has taken me back to 1981. I may one second away from life. Or one second away from death. All I know is I have to keep fighting. Fight to live. Fight to see my daughter. Fight to get home."

to

quote:

"My name is Alex Drake. I've been shot and that bullet has taken me back in time. Now I'm lost in 1982. And all I can do is fight, and search, and stay alive. Because somehow, I will find a way home."

to

quote:

"My name is Alex Drake and quite frankly, your guess is as good as mine."

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Just started and finished season 1 of the West Wing, watched it from 5 Wed till 8 Thurs with a short break for sleep. I thought it was pretty good, I think I might start season 2 tonight to see how the cliffhanger resolves.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SageSepth posted:

Just started and finished season 1 of the West Wing, watched it from 5 Wed till 8 Thurs with a short break for sleep. I thought it was pretty good, I think I might start season 2 tonight to see how the cliffhanger resolves.

Give yourself awhile for that, In The Shadow of Two Gunmen is technically a two-part episode but it aired together and is meant to be watched together.

It's also one of the best episodes of the series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He also gets to watch Two Cathedrals for the first time. Lucky douche :(

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
I just watched the first 4 episodes of Castle and I was wondering if the show gets any better. I mean, I know that episodic crime shows are going to have a fair amount of criminal stupidity, but the murderer at the end of each episode might as well have giftwrapped himself for the police. Nathan Fillion's dialog and one-liners are pretty good, but as a whole it's getting kinda tiresome.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

I just watched the first 4 episodes of Castle and I was wondering if the show gets any better. I mean, I know that episodic crime shows are going to have a fair amount of criminal stupidity, but the murderer at the end of each episode might as well have giftwrapped himself for the police. Nathan Fillion's dialog and one-liners are pretty good, but as a whole it's getting kinda tiresome.

You should be watching the show more for Fillion and his scenes with his family and Stana Katic, not the crime mysteries. I'll be the first to say that if it's not your cup of tea, it's just not, so don't force yourself to watch something you hate. However, the show steadily improves in all aspects with time, including that one. I don't think anyone will say it's first-tier Meaningful Television; it is and always will be a fluffy cop show. But on those terms, it's a blast.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mu Zeta posted:

He also gets to watch Two Cathedrals for the first time. Lucky douche :(

And Noel and 17 People and some others, gently caress season 2 of The West Wing ruled.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright guys, I need someone to suggest me a new series to binge through.

So far I've watched and greatly enjoyed these series:

Dexter
True Blood
Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
The Wire
Sopranos
Heroes
Burn Notice
Breaking Bad
Carnivale
Weeds

I'm not looking for any straight comedy stuff right now, just some sort of serial I can watch episodes back to back and really get into.

Thanks.

edit: What about The Shield? Is it actually interesting and makes you want to see the next episode after you finish one?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 16, 2010

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

BlazinLow305 posted:

Dexter
True Blood
Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
The Wire
Sopranos
Heroes
Burn Notice
Breaking Bad
Carnivale
Weeds

I'm not looking for any straight comedy stuff right now, just some sort of serial I can watch episodes back to back and really get into.

Thanks.

edit: What about The Shield? Is it actually interesting and makes you want to see the next episode after you finish one?

I probably sound like a broken record by now, but Life on Mars (UK Version).

More people should see it, so I have people to talk about it with.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If you liked Burn Notice and Weeds, you'll absolutely love Chuck, which becomes very serialized as the show progresses (although it does maintain villain of the week stories for some of the time, especially early).

Friday Night Lights is my other stock suggestion when someone wants a serial drama.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

BlazinLow305 posted:

Yes.

I would recommend Spartacus. After the first two episodes, it turns completely awesome and is fun as hell to watch.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
I just binged through Sons of Anarchy Series 1 after catching an episode on TV, I was hooked at that point.. Now i need to find Series 2 :)

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

SiCk posted:

I just binged through Sons of Anarchy Series 1 after catching an episode on TV, I was hooked at that point.. Now i need to find Series 2 :)

I binged through S1 as well and just watched the first episode of series 2, holy poo poo since when could Katey Segal act like that plus that whole scene in general was very :ohdear:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

BlazinLow305 posted:

The Shield is excellent and I think you'll enjoy it, given your previous choice of shows. It does take a little while to hit its stride but give it a shot.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Powering through Nip/Tuck, got the first three seasons on DVD. The last 30 seconds of the finale to season 1 is probably the funniest drat things I've seen in a while.

I was about ready to give up and say screw it to the next season, that saved it.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Adrianics posted:

I binged through S1 as well and just watched the first episode of series 2, holy poo poo since when could Katey Segal act like that plus that whole scene in general was very :ohdear:

Am i the only person that near cried his eyes out at S1E12 ? - IT DOESNT MAKE ME ANY LESS OF A MAN OKAY? - IT HAS GUNS AND MOTORBIKES.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BlazinLow305 posted:

Dexter
True Blood
Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
The Wire
Sopranos
Heroes
Burn Notice
Breaking Bad
Carnivale
Weeds

Thanks.

I'll suggest Lost if you want that crack-addict feeling. It's only got about 6-8 episodes left, I think, till it finishes, so you'd probably be able to watch straight through to the end, or maybe catch up in time for the finale if you go crazy.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 16, 2010

Mushboom
Apr 9, 2005
Adopted by Adam Kensai. If I mess up, ban him.
Just bum-rushed through Doctor Who Season 4 to get ready for Season 5's American debut. I think Russell T. Davies secretly hates the Doctor, because while I loved this season, I found the adventures more full of death and loss than ever before. Now I gotta finish the rest of the specials; I'm looking forward to The End of Time especially.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Mushboom posted:

Just bum-rushed through Doctor Who Season 4 to get ready for Season 5's American debut. I think Russell T. Davies secretly hates the Doctor, because while I loved this season, I found the adventures more full of death and loss than ever before. Now I gotta finish the rest of the specials; I'm looking forward to The End of Time especially.

When Tennant goes, so do I. I don't know who this new fool thinks he is, but he's not MY Doctor.

:colbert:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zero Karizma posted:

When Tennant goes, so do I. I don't know who this new fool thinks he is, but he's not MY Doctor.

:colbert:

That's a shame because the new series is only two episodes in, and already Moffat has exceeded RTD's entire run.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

qbert posted:

That's a shame because the new series is only two episodes in, and already Moffat has exceeded RTD's entire run.

God yes. My fiancee and myself watched the last part of RTDs run, I had been watching since the beginning, she did not find it interesting. We started watching the new series and she commented on how completely different it was.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just finished the first 2 seasons of Weeds on streaming netflix, and onto season 3. Season 1 slayed me, it was fantastic. Season 2 was still pretty good, but it's quickly turning into something that I'm watching just because I started it, and not because I'm finding it brilliant. I think maybe they progressed the story to quickly, as I loved the 'Soccer Mom' dealing at games, but when she starts expanding into dangerous territory, it is less fun to watch for me.

There are at least 5 seasons on Netflix (is this still in the air? I'm not sure). Should I keep watching, or will I just get further and further disappointed as I continue into Season 3 and beyond.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mushboom posted:

Now I gotta finish the rest of the specials; I'm looking forward to The End of Time especially.

hahaha, well, I shouldn't say anything, but...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Meow Cadet posted:

I just finished the first 2 seasons of Weeds on streaming netflix, and onto season 3. Season 1 slayed me, it was fantastic. Season 2 was still pretty good, but it's quickly turning into something that I'm watching just because I started it, and not because I'm finding it brilliant. I think maybe they progressed the story to quickly, as I loved the 'Soccer Mom' dealing at games, but when she starts expanding into dangerous territory, it is less fun to watch for me.

There are at least 5 seasons on Netflix (is this still in the air? I'm not sure). Should I keep watching, or will I just get further and further disappointed as I continue into Season 3 and beyond.

The end of season 3 is a pretty good place to stop but I guess the show is still kind of amusing though it's now a completely different show. It's coming back for a 6th season but I don't know when it starts.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I just finished Angel and the final moment was an :argh: as Angel, Illyra/fred, spike and an injured Gunn run off to fight a horde of demons just as "Executive Producer Joss Whedon" appears and I assume they all die. Still its more of a cliffhanger for a season finale, not a series finale.

Overall, I liked Angel more than Buffy, I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I have to say Wolfram Hart is big part of it. They are truly one of the best TV antagonists I've ever watched.

Roshi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 17, 2010

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Roshi posted:

I just finished Angel and the final moment was an :argh: as Angel, Illyra/fred, spike and an injured Gunn run off to fight a horde of demons just as "Executive Producer Joss Whedon" appears and I assume they all die. Still its more of a cliffhanger for a season finale, not a series finale.

Overall, I liked Angel more than Buffy, I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I have to say Wolfram Hart is big part of it. They are truly one of the best TV antagonists I've ever watched.

I haven't read them, but according to the comics they all survive that fight I think. Or a bunch of them do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roshi posted:

I agree. Buffy had plenty of amazing episodes (mostly in Seasons 2 and 3, but also later highlights like "The Body" and my favorite, "Once More With Feeling"), but I prefer Angel. I'm just a sucker for any kind of noir detective stories, unhappy/ambiguous endings, great villains, mega-story arcs, and especially characters finding redemption. It feels darker and more mature than Buffy, and it took the three worst characters from Buffy (four if you count Faith) and made them all awesome. I absolutely love Season 5, my favorite season of any show when taken as a whole, and I'm with you on the Wolfram and Hart love/hate.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I have been binging through Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Never seen it before, but a friend recommended it. Even though I knew most of the material covered throughout the show due to my age I still found the content and the show itself fascinating; I can't help but feel cheated for not having seen it when I was a kid.

Also Carl Sagan himself is brilliant and funny to boot.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Roshi posted:

I liked that ending. It's kind of like 'OK so maybe the show's going off the air but Angel's story is still ongoing'.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It feels darker and more mature than Buffy, and it took the three worst characters from Buffy (four if you count Faith) and made them all awesome.

gently caress you, Faith owns and is super hot

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

...it took the three worst characters from Buffy (four if you count Faith) and made them all awesome.

Harmony never became awesome.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Roshi posted:

Better writing and a better sense of enthusiasm on the writers' part most of all. Also, f'ing Ben Edlund(!) and David Greenwalt; I personally don't think Joss does very well without them, and it's a shame that he gets all the credit. Just check the bonus material and interviews and see all the things Ben Edlund was behind - be it in Angel, Firefly or Dr. Horrible: Black Horse, the Puppet episode, and so on.

Angel is also more dark and sad without being too emo; it's already known that true happiness is never going to happen to him, which sets it apart from Buffy's hope(s) of it - albeit without Angel at her side.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Meow Cadet posted:

Weeds is weird in the sense that when poo poo gets hosed up for the characters, it stays hosed up, so don't expect a return to the status quo- ever. I'm in the same boat as you- I loved the first two seasons, the third season felt odd and less charming, and then I sleepwalked through season 4. Season 5 is actually a weird upturn, in that, while the show is now completely different, it starts to become interesting to see the characters advancing forward in new plots (whereas season 4 was a lot of "why the gently caress is this happening what is going on with this show). I'm definitely coming back for season 6, if that helps you decide at all.

It is definitely odd to watch, though. Rather than stagnating and growing bland like some shows do, Weeds is a show that radically reinvents itself when no one really asks it to, seemingly just for the gently caress of it. And it is quite amusing to watch the characters remain so stalwartly self-obsessed and narcissistic as their lives become more and more insane, I'll admit.

9PoolPony
Feb 19, 2010
I just plowed through Pure Pwnage Season 1 and I think that show might take people by surprise, it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Harmony never became awesome.

I meant Angel, Cordelia, and Wesley, who were bland/boring, bitchy/obnoxious, and completely useless/obnoxious on Buffy, but became awesome on Angel.