Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Adrianics posted:

If anything, IASIP becomes even better once Danny DeVito joins.
I agree. I was very worried about it when he first showed up (I knew nothing about the show) but he's just perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
I just plowed through all of Californication, and I thought season 3 ended a bit abruptly. I mean the last ep just came out of nowhere. Did the show get cancelled mid-season or something?

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

Ratatozsk posted:

Man, I wish I could watch your brain as you go through the last 2 1/2 seasons.

You weren't even joking. Holy gently caress.

After finally finishing the series... I just don't know what to think... I'm really just... ugh...

Mughe fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 11, 2010

Linus Balto
Nov 23, 2009
Mad Men season 3. I'm finding this season a lot more enjoyable to watch than previous. Maybe because I had such high expectations when I first started watching because the huge amount of acclaim it got. For lack of a better word I found it all to be a tad boring at times. Now something just clicked and I feel like I've gotten to know and warm up to all the supporting characters and am finally getting why everyone loves this show.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

mirror123 posted:

I just plowed through all of Californication, and I thought season 3 ended a bit abruptly. I mean the last ep just came out of nowhere. Did the show get cancelled mid-season or something?

No, it's coming back for season 4. It got renewed fairly early, I don't think there was any scare of it getting canceled with some episodes having series-high ratings.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I've been binging through Weeds the past few weeks. I'm halfway through season four at the moment and I must say that the image of Cecilia Hodes gingerly gnawing at a fried chicken leg with her busted, pistol-whipped mouth is one of the most hilarious and satisfying images I've ever seen in a comedy.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm still going through The West Wing (I stopped for a bit to watch a bunch of other shows) and I just got to the episode "The Stackhouse Filibuster".

What a great episode, and what a consistently entertaining and interesting show this is.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Superrodan posted:

I'm still going through The West Wing (I stopped for a bit to watch a bunch of other shows) and I just got to the episode "The Stackhouse Filibuster".

You ain't seen nothing yet, you're literally one episode short of beginning perhaps the greatest season-ending arc in television history.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet, you're literally one episode short of beginning perhaps the greatest season-ending arc in television history.

I hate you. I need to go to bed since I have a flight home tomorrow but now I'm not so sure.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Finals are over and I'm back on the :lost: train

I'm three episodes into Season 4 and this is what I think is going on:

I don't have any idea what the hell is going on :(

p.s. except that Sayid is Hitman part II for Ben (what the christ!) and that John Locke is one crazy/fascinating bastard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think anyone knows what's going on in Lost, least of all the writers.

I enjoy the show a lot still but it's mostly because I've just stopped caring to make sense of it all.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
I'm on a f'n bender here. Just blew through 'Cabin Fever', and here's a few thoughts I have about this god forsaken show:

1.) When Ben says, "Let me do X and I'll tell you everything I know", Locke lets him do X, but Ben never really tells him much of anything. Locke enjoys this game.

2.) The "Michael is the spy!" reveal in an earlier episode was pretty :aaa:

3.) Lost = the show where all conflicts happen because no one ever just tells the other person what exactly they're gonna loving do.

3a.) I love this show.

Mr. Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 14, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I just watched through seasons one and two of Battlestar Galactica (yeah, yeah, I'm late to that party) and season one of Friday Night Lights. Both amazing shows that are now two of my favorite shows of all time.

Also, last summer I watched through all five seasons of The Wire in two and a half weeks. (I might have a problem.)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mr. Sloth posted:

3.) Lost = the show where all conflicts happen because no one ever just tells the other person what exactly they're gonna loving do.

If you can somehow catch up before the finale, you'll realize you have no idea just how right you are.

prismeclipser
May 2, 2008
I just sat down and watched 14 seasons of America's Next Top Model. Holy poo poo, I have no idea why, but TyTy cracks me the gently caress up and I keep watching to see what faces she'll make in the next episode.

Right now I'm currently going through all of the new Dr. Who, but that's more of a show I have to sit down and watch, while ANTM is something I put on in the background.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

prismeclipser posted:

Right now I'm currently going through all of the new Dr. Who, but that's more of a show I have to sit down and watch, while ANTM is something I put on in the background.

Hey, what do you think so far? I always like to see people go through it for the first time. Where are you up to? Feel free to join us in the main thread if you enjoy it.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
Since Grey's Anatomy has been running in syndication on Lifetime (wooo afternoons with mom...), I've been totally and embarrassingly hooked. I'm all caught up and just watched last night's episode and I'm dying to share my theories on the upcoming season finale with someone (who is not my mother). :shobon:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Roleplaying Dad posted:

Since Grey's Anatomy has been running in syndication on Lifetime (wooo afternoons with mom...), I've been totally and embarrassingly hooked. I'm all caught up and just watched last night's episode and I'm dying to share my theories on the upcoming season finale with someone (who is not my mother). :shobon:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3200601

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just finished season 1 of "The West Wing".
The box has been sitting on my shelf for quite some time, because I never really felt like committing to it for an extended period of time and I also was not quite sure what to expect - I was afraid it would be somewhat dry and not as interesting as the many alternatives that were floating around. Boy, was I wrong.

I got to say, it's a real nice change in pace after all the show I watched recently, which were either

a) comedies
(mainly NBC's thursday lineup, HIMYM, IASIP)

b) action driven dramas
(24, The Shield)

c) formulaic dramas/crime shows
(House, Castle, Bones)

d) mystery shows
(Lost, Fringe)

and not boring at all.
The characters are fantastic, as is the writing and the deliberately written dialogues.

I know the show originally started airing 1999/2000, but it has a very distinct "classic 90's" feel to it, from the opening credits to the overall atmosphere.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves and deals with the events in the first half of the last decade.

Yeah I know, "look forward to 'Two cathedrals'", "it will start to go downhill after season 4"... for the time being, I am enjoying a extremely well written and cast show and I have six more seasons to tide me over until the new fall season starts.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I just polished off Life. I'm almost glad that I didn't catch it when it was on the air. It would have annoyed me to no end knowing that the show wasn't coming back. The last few episodes did a pretty good job at tying the big mysteries up, and Charlie letting loose finally was satisfying as heck.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

mcbexx posted:

"it will start to go downhill after season 4"...

This is bullshit. Season 5 is lame in comparison to the rest of the show, but by TV standards it's still brilliant. After that it's not necessarily "downhill," but the show does fundamentally change, and it's for the better. There's just no way you can do seven seasons set solely in the West Wing and make all of them fresh.

quote:

for the time being, I am enjoying a extremely well written and cast show and I have six more seasons to tide me over until the new fall season starts.

Uh... what.

Did I wake up in bizarro reality where awesome things happen all the time?

edit: oh I'm loving retarded. You meant the actual multi-show airing season. God drat you for playing with my mind.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Did I wake up in bizarro reality where awesome things happen all the time?

You did not watch the Fringe finale, did you? :D

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Season 5 TWW is basically a political ER where nobody acts consistently and everything is RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES. Probably not surprisingly, this was the season where John Wells was very active. Still better than most of what's on television and there's a few fabulous episodes, but at best it's inconsistent and at worst it's not good.

Seasons 6 and 7 are absolutely great if you view it as a spinoff show with some of the same characters mostly in new situations and a few compelling new main cast members. It's really an entirely different show by that point. And while these seasons had down points and weak episodes, so do the Sorkin seasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alan Alda plays one of the best characters in all of the West Wing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Everyone in here says season 2 is the best season of The West Wing and 5 is not as good, but what about 3 and 4?

I am about 6 episodes into season 3 and I'm liking it a lot still. I really like the characters played by Ron Silver and Oliver Platt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like all the seasons except 5. Ron Silver and Oliver Platt have a lot of screen time in season 7.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Seasons 3 and 4 are very uneven due to 9/11 and Sorkin's drug problems, but Bartlet For America is also one of the handful of greatest hours of television ever and except for a few episodes everything is at least good.

Sorkin sure did do some great Christmas episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah that 9/11 episode was loving terrible. I still remember that dumbass loving idiot kid asking, "Aren't all Muslims terrorists?"

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Two discs left of Six Feet Under.

Really can't thank you all enough for the recommendation. How's Riches?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh yeah that 9/11 episode was loving terrible. I still remember that dumbass loving idiot kid asking, "Aren't all Muslims terrorists?"

Eh, it wasn't that terrible. It had some good moments. The only thing that really offended me was how they portrayed Leo. They totally made him into an rear end in a top hat because they wanted to prove a point, but it seemed extremely out of character.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

jfballin posted:

Two discs left of Six Feet Under.

Really can't thank you all enough for the recommendation. How's Riches?

Just wait for the best ending I have ever seen in a TV show.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

Just wait for the best ending I have ever seen in a TV show.

Are you talking about this show? I remember watching just the first season and I wasn't sure if it ever got a proper ending before it was cancelled.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Leviathan posted:

Are you talking about this show? I remember watching just the first season and I wasn't sure if it ever got a proper ending before it was cancelled.

That's the one. Netflix recommended it and I thought it sounded like a really neat concept.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the ending of Six Feet Under.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Been debating whether to start watching The Wire (I've only ever seen the pilot somehow) as it's always raved about and such. Not quite sure how I've waited this long, but I'm just not sure if it'll do it for me.

Finished catching up with Lie To Me recently which is a great show. Watched through 5 seasons of The Office numerous times over the past few months also, can't get enough of that. Season 6 isn't so strong though.

Oh and Leverage. Caught up with Leverage, looking forward to Season 3 which is soon-ish, I think.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Ratatozsk posted:

Yep, and if you don't cry at the end you are a heartless monster. :colbert:

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

tomm posted:

Been debating whether to start watching The Wire (I've only ever seen the pilot somehow) as it's always raved about and such. Not quite sure how I've waited this long, but I'm just not sure if it'll do it for me.

What makes you think you won't like it?

JimBean
Jun 28, 2005
Fuck you

tomm posted:

As long as you don't mind a slow start (every season), it's a really great show. I just finished binging through it and I loved it. Stick with it, it's definitely worth it.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Ratatozsk posted:

Doh. Yeah, SFU pretty much has one of the best endings ever. People who cried during the Lost finale would probably need some Paxil to recover after watching SFU's.

JimBeam posted:

As long as you don't mind a slow start (every season), it's a really great show. I just finished binging through it and I loved it. Stick with it, it's definitely worth it.

I'm going through all of the Wire for the second time (currently 3/4 through season 4) after not having watched it in ages. It's even better this time around, and I'm absolutely convinced there'll never be another show this Dickensian in scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Leviathan posted:

Doh. Yeah, SFU pretty much has one of the best endings ever. People who cried during the Lost finale would probably need some Paxil to recover after watching SFU's.

I rarely watched SFU, but I watched the last 6 minutes of the finale on youtube casue I heard a lot about it right before the Lost finale. I never knew anything about any of the characters but still got a little choked up watching it. I knew what the show was about, and I had seen a few episodes before. That was a really well done finale.

Anyways don't ask me why, but I started watching Greek and am really into it. It's a fun show that's easy to watch. Being in a fraternity in college I wanted to check this out to see how accurate it was. Some stuff is pretty spot on, but other ideas and plot points are stretched to make it entertaining for tv. I mean come on, I was a functioning alcoholic in college and didn't go to the bar nearly as much as they do in Greek.