Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Entourage. I was recommended it by a friend, fell in love with the Aquaman storyline and Ari Gold and have not looked back since.

I think that the chemistry between the entourage is absolutely bulletproof and that Kevin Dillon is one of the funniest comic actors I've ever seen. I'm now halfway through series 4 and am officially hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Smorgasbord posted:

I just finished Malcolm in the Middle - it really is a very good show that stays at a surprisingly consistent level of quality all the way through. What really strikes me about the show is how it's a family show that has something to offer for pretty much every age group, and everybody who has a family can identify with at least one character. Also Brian Cranston and Jane Kaczmarek are absolutely amazing, possibly the best comedic acting over a series I have ever seen.

I completely agree, MITM used to be the staple of my Sunday nights (UK goon) and it really is a complete and utter loving mystery to me how it kept losing Emmys to loving Everybody Loves Raymond. The fact that Brian Cranston never won one is complete madness.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Extras series 1 is pretty great, but I thought that series 2 became increasingly self-serving for Ricky Gervais, culminating in that absolutely ghastly Mary-Sue speech his self-insert gave in the Christmas Special. A drat shame.

As for me, I've just finished series 2 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Holy poo poo this show loving rules, it's a pity it's never caught on over here in the UK. I am actually in deep, passionate love with Charlie Day. Man that guy is great.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

fanbase posted:

Due to this thread, I started to watch the West Wing several weeks ago. I am on season 4 now and am dreading the season 5. I absolutely love Aaron Sorkin and his writing style.

Series 5 really isn't as bad as everyone says it is (although the change in writing staff is very noticable at first), I barely remember series 6 and series 7 is amazing.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

KillRoy posted:

Day Man AHHHA AH, fighter of the Night Man, AHHA Ah, Champion of the Sun! Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone!

I just watched this episode yesterday, and it was absolutely amazing. I laughed so hard that I got a stomach cramp and very nearly vomited. Love this show.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Azmodaii posted:

Nonetheless I love the show, Wildcard bitchez and frank starting up the chainsaw growling at the serial killer's apartment as well as the Day man musical was all just too brilliant.

I just watched The Nightman Cometh and gently caress that episode for being so funny, now whenever Danny DeVito singing "you must pay the troll toll if you want the boy's soul" pops into my head (which is often), I immediately start giggling.

How has Danny DeVito never gotten any recognition for his work on Always Sunny? In a year that John Cryer won a loving Emmy for Two and a Half Men I demand an explanation!!!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

SiCk posted:

I just binged through Sons of Anarchy Series 1 after catching an episode on TV, I was hooked at that point.. Now i need to find Series 2 :)

I binged through S1 as well and just watched the first episode of series 2, holy poo poo since when could Katey Segal act like that plus that whole scene in general was very :ohdear:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Noxville posted:

I watched all the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yesterday evening. That's only 7 episodes but still... it's pretty moreish. Very much enjoying the group's dynamic right now and I hope it doesn't get thrown off with the new cast member in season 2 (though since it's up to season 5 so far it seems unlikely).

If anything, IASIP becomes even better once Danny DeVito joins.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I bought the complete Six Feet Under last month and am now on series 5.

I do love it a lot, even if its obsession with being hip, ironic and precious sometimes makes it a little predictable (oh look, three fatties and a trim guy on a set of treadmills! I wonder which one's about to die!!).

But seriously, it has some of the best writing and acting in history. The episode with Michael Weston as a kidnapper is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Oh, and also FlashForward just for some weird sense of completion. What a horribly tragic waste of a good premise and great cast. Although I do love Courtney B Vance and Joseph Fiennes hamming it up, makes for some weirdly great chemistry.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Oh, please come back to tell us your reaction to the SFU finale.

Ah I should have been clearer - I've seen the whole series before! The finale really is impossible to overstate, though.

I think that what I love most about SFU are the really understated, human moments - The one that affected me most was Nate, terrified about his make-or-break brain operation, sobbing into Ruth's arms as she says "I'll never let you go" over and over. I mean, Nate is one of television's best-written characters and it's a drat shame he becomes such a dickhead in series five.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

So, I just finished series 1 of Friday Night Lights. I really don't know why it's taken me so long to watch it, seeing as it's based on one of my favourite movies.

And holy poo poo, it's up there with the best dramas I've ever seen. I honestly can't think of many flaws with it, and I especially loved the naturalistic tone complemented by the performances. I love Matt Saracen, I really wish he was my irl buddy and I'd totally buy him a beer.

Here's the kicker: I watched the last fifteen minutes of the finale standing up, as if I was watching a real game where the outcome was undetermined. How hosed is that?

Anyway, I just watched the opener of series 2 and... Gosh, I don't know. Something about it didn't click with me the way the pilot did. It wasn't even the somewhat abrupt Julia doesn't love Matt any more stuff that I think could have been handled a little better, even though I totally get that's just the nature of high school relationships.

Or maybe it was the basically out of nowhere Landry straight-up murders a guy scene. I mean, it's just so jarring and out of place when you consider how hard the series tried to be grounded in the first series, it was like something out of loving 90210 or One Tree Hill. Frankly, if I wanted to watch high school kids struggling through ridiculous soap opera storylines I would watch one of the aforementioned series. It was just too over-the-top, I guess is what I'm saying, especially with how well they were building up the Landry/Tyra relatonship near the end of the first series.

So yeah, wall of text besides, does it get better? Does it recapture the glory of the first series?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I enjoyed series two of SOA at least twice as much as series one, let's just say that it has two fantastic villains and leave it at that!

And based on what's been said (although I avoided the spoilers), I'll keep going with Friday Night Lights.

Quick question: I just bought the Gold Edition of Twin Peaks along with Fire Walk With Me and FWWM arrived today. Should I watch it before or after the series?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I've just finished series 2 of Friday Night Lights and it kind of reminds me of series 3 of Dexter or series 5 of The West Wing, in that it's disappointing when held up to the standards the show previously set itself but still of a much higher standard than most of the shows on television.

There's a lot I didn't like about it, mainly the overblown and 90210-esque plots like Tim falling foul of a meth addict, Smash getting drawn into a racist brawl and Landry murdering a guy but I still enjoyed watching it and I'm looking forward to starting series 3.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I just finished season 3 of Friday Night Lights. I was very pleased to see that, as this thread said, the quality picked back up to season one-levels but can I just say with every fibre of my being aaaaaaaaargh gently caress you Joe McCoy! Stop being such an rear end in a top hat and leave Coach Taylor alone!! :argh:

Evfedu posted:

P.S. Dexter is great till the end of S2 and is pretty rubbish by season 4. Enjoy the good while it lasts!

You might want to ignore any scenes that don't involve Michael C Hall and Jimmy Smits chewing the scenery together in season three, yes, but season 4 of Dexter is loving amazing,

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 5, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

spe posted:

Dunno how I've managed this but I've never seen a single episode of ER in my life, is it any good/worth watching?

I maintain that once ER hits its stride (about season 2 or so), it is up there with The West Wing in terms of outstanding network drama. There's a bellyful of terrific episodes and you'll come to actually really, genuinely care for the characters.

It gets a bit wobbly when Carter gets stabbed and, for lack of a better term, 'jumps the shark' when Dr Green dies (in an episode I still rank as one of the best episodes of Drama ever made, ever). Once Parminda Negra's character shows up for the first time it starts to become an overblown, ridiculous, overly melodramatic soap opera.

But then again, in the final season they somehow managed to reign it in and season 15 is solid, if not up to the standards of the earlier stuff.

You can probably tell that I'm somewhat of a fanboy, but I say go for it :) Oh, and let us know your opinion of Love's Labor Lost, an excellent episode from season one.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Randy Rand posted:

As everyone has already said, everything you are talking about is intentional on the part of the writers and is crucial to season four, although I'm curious as to why you hate JD more than his dad.

And yeah, I'll go ahead and add my voice to the season four love: I called it a 'masterpiece' in the FNL thread and I'll stand by that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Randy Rand posted:

Basically because they completely hosed Sarasen over and Sarasen owns through and through.

You dick over a character I like? You're on my shitlist.

I'll go ahead and spoil it in case you want to put your mind at ease: JD's dad goes from being an unwelcome presence to an out-and-out bastard in season four, and season three ends with him convincing the boosters to fire Coach Taylor (who ends up defecting to the run-down, inner-city West Dillon High) and replace him with JD's personal trainer.

JD himself also becomes a bastard in season four, rather than an impressionable little boy guided by an overbearing father. For serious, if you hate JD now just wait until you're halfway through season four.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I have the week off and have managed to binge the first seasons of Veronica Mars, Twin Peaks and Modern Family.

First off, I will say that I am watching Veronica Mars due to E4 showing it every day at 12:10 and having a backlog of Sky+ recordings. The relevance is that each episode is clearly heavily censored (extremely awkwardly-edited violence and swearing) and one particular episode was pushed back to midnight without my knowledge and wasn't picked up on the Sky box. Anyway, rant aside I'm extremely impressed with what I'm seeing; it's basically like Brick made into a tv series (high school noir, etc), the season-long murder mystery was extremely well handled, the performances are impressive across the board and the finale is up there with the best I've watched. Above all else, I think that Kristen Bell is a revelation in the lead role and drat it, now I really want to see her career take off.

I will say though that I've also watched the season 2 opener and although I was very impressed with almost everything about it (especially the brewing class war), the last twist with the bus crash was a little :psyduck: but I have faith that the show can win me back.

Modern Family is the kind of show I absolutely loving adore, an ensemble comedy with stand-out performances, memorable and varied characters and is to boot genuinely funny and endearing. The comparisons to Arrested Development are valid, but I think that Modern Family has much more of a heart than AD ever did (not to diss AD, obviously) and the characters are more flawed but with good intentions rather than the delicious villainy of AD's characters. And hey, I didn't even hate the iPad episode like everyone else seemed to.

Twin Peaks.... Ah man, Twin Peaks. I just... I know that it's an outstanding show, I just can't help but get this feeling that I'm just not smart/perceptive enough to enjoy it on more than its most basic level. This is more down to me than the show, however, which I know is, again, outstanding. I've got season two to go and I'm willing to sit down and pay it more attention and care than I normally give to television.

Laura's Theme is loving heartbreaking, one of the best television compositions I've ever heard. It seriously chokes me up every time I hear it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I'm half-tempted to recommend stopping after My Lunch in season five, then start again in season eight.

Yeah, the first four seasons are terrific but after that it falls apart at a terrific pace, only to sort of pick itself back up again at the finish.

Yes, season eight is the finish. Nothing happened after that, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Superrodan posted:

So Veronica Mars just hit its first sour note for me last night. I'm just going to say... "karaoke scene".

Ugh.

It's silly, but I just took it as Veronica just being that drat good at going undercover. And yeah, I'll agree that season one of VM is loving great and so far (just gotten to the Abel Koontz episode), season two is pretty nifty as well.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Just to keep the Veronica Mars talk going: I just finished Rat Saw God (season two), and since I'm still watching the horribly butchered syndicated version they didn't show me what 'interrogation technique' Clarence Wiedman used on Abigail Koontz's boyfriend, anyone remember?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yeet posted:

Finally finished The Shield. gently caress my life I wish I could unwatch it and rewatch it.

I'm on the final episode of season one right now. Bought the complete set for £30 a month back, absolutely insane bargain.

And yeah, it's loving awesome. I actually think that episode 10 (Dragonchasers) has already become one of my favourite episodes of tv ever, specifically the final moments of Dutch interrogating and breaking down Sally's murderer with the whole squad watching. Michael Chiklis is an absolute beast in this role too, I'm genuinely scared of him!

edit: Hahahaha just watched an awesome moment in the finale where an on-foot chase ends with the perp jumping over a gate and Vic just ploughing through it, what a man.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 15, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dexter

Season three is where it all starts to come off the rails slightly (although every scene with Michael C Hall and Jimmy Smits is terrific), but you've got to hold on for season four. Holy poo poo dude, season loving four. Just you wait. Just you wait.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I haven't watched season five either, mostly because I'm convinced they'll never top season four but also because the general response to it seems to be a massive :geno:. I did watch the first episode and, awesome scene with Mickey Mouse ears aside, it really didn't do anything for me.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I found Sons Of Anarchy season one a bit of a slog too, but I loved season two. It has two extremely effective villains and the overall story is a lot more interesting - Stick with it!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

My opinion on the Skyler stuff is that I can understand complaints that the character is somewhat underwritten and that her presence does at times feel like an afterthought, but the amount of hate she's gotten when you consider that the show's two central characters have respectively (Walt in season two) deliberately let an essentially innocent woman die and (Jessie in season three) joined rehab in order to peddle meth to the recovering addicts is completely ridiculous.

Like I said, I understand complaints that her character's motivations aren't as well-explored as Walt's or Jessie's but the constant screeching of "SKYLER IS A loving HORRIBLE oval office AND I WISH SHE'D DIE" was completely cringeworthy and made the normally interesting-to-follow Breaking Bad threads almost unreadable.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Still working through The Shield, am nearing the end of season three.

I decided to watch one more episode last night because of insomnia - Big mistake. It was Strays, the episode with Clark Gregg as the granny-killing rapist Dutch has been hunting all season.

Dutch just killed a loving cat. Holy poo poo :cry:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

So, based solely on the positively volcanic praise it's been getting all across the board, I watched every episode of Terriers over the last week.

And for the first batch of episodes (1 - 10), it's good. Very good, actually. Very stylistic, engrossing, involving, charming and sweet with what I rank as one of last year's best leading performances and a killer tone. It also did what I love more than anything in a modern tv show, basically all of which try to balance pathos and humour: The humour was goddamn hilarious and the pathos was well-handled.

Then it got to episode eleven, 'Sins of the Past'. All of a sudden, practically from nowhere, the show completely catapults itself from a charming and solid procedural to an all-out, balls-to-the-wall conspiracy thriller that at times (and I do not say this lightly) even rivals Breaking Bad at its absolute best. I actually genuinely loving mean that, Sins of the Past was just as :aaaaa: as the Breaking Bad finale and for loving serious, Donal Logue takes an already excellent performance and elevates it to the next level, like seriously the dude's amazing.

The ending of the season-long plot is pretty rushed and ham-handed but I can forgive that, simply because of how great everything before it is.

Seriously, just loving watch Terriers. Please?

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2011

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Party Down is indeed terrific, it had me hooked right from the first episode. Ken Marino and Adam Scott are both utter revelations in their own way.

"Little girl, if you tell your mom, I will just... Destroy you. Simple as that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Archer is yet another show I was pointed towards by TVIV. H Jon Benjamin (that is his name?) is a loving genius in the title role and enough to make me wish that voice actors were eligible for Emmys.

"What are you, James Bond?"

"WELL I DON'T LIKE TO INVITE THAT COMPARISON"