Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm finishing up season 3 of Durham County before it disappears from netflix.

It's a Canadian drama about a hot headed cop who moves his family back to his hometown after his partner is killed on the job and his wife survives breast cancer.

It is by far the most depressing show I have ever seen.

None of the characters are likable, and nothing goes well for them. Ever.

They are the happiest they'll ever be before episode 1 begins.

I am shocked it lasted to 18 episodes and completed 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Broachchurch season 1 is excellent, season 2 is not as good, but is an interesting continuation of the story. I'm excited for season 3.

One thing to note, it might be the most beautifully shot TV series I've ever seen. The colors and the landscapes and the lighting are fantastic.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am almost done with Helstrom on Hulu, the show the MCU abandoned.

it is one of the worst shows I've seen in many years.

neither of the two leads can act, I have no idea who's possessing who, who's on who's side.

None of it makes any sense.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished all 11 seasons of Frasier after doing all 11 seasons of Cheers before it.

Frasier was consistently fantastic through the early seasons, great during the mid seasons, and pretty good the final 3 years.

the big issue is that Frasier himself becomes even more unlikeable in the last 3 seasons after a major series plot is more or less resolved, and I wonder if this was purposefully done - if everyone else in his life is happy and Frasier is not, I can see how that would wear someone down and make them no fun to be around.

Also, episode 5x14, "The Ski Lodge," is probably the single greatest sitcom episode of all time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

phosdex posted:

Did Cheers hold up? I should add Frasier to my queue, I just have so many drat things I want to get through.

I'd never seen an episode of cheers before doing the entire series last year and it was excellent.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished How I Met Your Mother and aside from the final season and specifically the final episodes I thought it was one of the best and most consistently funny modern comedies.

since the entire series is a flashback, it gave the writers massive leeway to jump forward or backward in time whenever they want, so they do lots of family-guy style cutaway jokes, but these include all the main characters and have context. over time the show became heavily reliant on in-jokes, each episode full of callbacks to previous jokes, characters, arcs, etc.

That may not sound good, but I thought it made the story seem a lot more real - my friend groups bring up old stories all the time, and not a lotta shows do that to such good effect.

the final 6 minutes of the show, though, I have an issue with. contrary to most people I think the decision to have the Mother pass away in between the events of the show and the framing story was genius. I think it could have been handled extremely well. But the decision in the broadcast ending to have Ted begin to rekindle things with Robin was a huge mistake, and I have to say if the show made any mistake over 9 seasons it was having Robin be a magical woman Ted and Barney couldn't help but fall in love with.

The DVD alternate ending where [spoiler]the story ends with Ted and Tracy at the Farhampton train station was too easy. the deleted scenes were better, but I still think having Tracy pass away in between Radnor-Ted and Saget-Ted was a really inspired writing decision, just poorly executed by leaning on magic Robin in the broadcast version.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Just started watching Murder, She Wrote on Peacock and I can already tell I'm going to probably be enjoying this one

have you seen Columbo? if not, you're in for a treat.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If you’ve ever thought “instead of Nathan Drake I wish Uncharted focused on 4 teenagers from North Carolina locked in an eternal class struggle with the local rich folk” then you should watch Outer Banks on Netflix.

It’s real bad but it’s also kinda not.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I watched the first episode of Doctor Foster on Netflix and holy poo poo I was not prepared for the twist in the final 5 minutes. even if the remaining 9 episodes execute terribly I will remain impressed by how much I did not see that coming.

loving WHAT.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Robobot posted:

If there's one thing I'll give this show it's that it made me an Eva Green fan.

this scene wasn't enough?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuyoqS31Yug

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

You know what, up to episode 4 and it actually is terrible. This is just soap opera schlock. Apparently they squeezed out a second season out of it?

I've never seen a twist where the main character finds out their spouse is cheating on them but also that all her friends and coworkers know about it and are tacitly cool with it. That threw me for a loop and I can't imagine experiencing it in real life.

I'm halfway through season 2 and it's different tonally. I'm curious to see how it ends.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

It isn't that though. I was also hooked by it, because it looked liked some bizarre gangstalking-type situation, which would actually be an interesting and crazy premise for a show.

now you understand my reaction from Wednesday after watching the first episode.

it hasn't lived up to the potential of the premise so we're firmly in

Fate Accomplice posted:

even if the remaining 9 episodes execute terribly I will remain impressed by how much I did not see that coming.

territory.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 4, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished all of New Girl yesterday.

The first 3-4 seasons are the best, but the rest is also high quality, and the finale was great, which is rare.

the Nick / Schmidt relationship is probably one of the best written and performed friendship / bromances I've ever seen on television. the show got significantly better when they focused on it.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 12, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I watched The Chestnut Man on Netflix, a single season Danish crime series. Very well done, kept me guessing, well acted if pedestrian story wise main characters.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Earlier this year, I finished off the original Dark Shadows

Did you watch all 1225 episodes? I have them all but haven’t attempted it yet

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yep. Most people will start with #209 - the introduction of Barnabas Collins.

I say watch it form the beginning to get a feel for how the show was produced and to get to know the main cast.

Thats exactly my reasoning, kudos on finishing it. What did you think overall?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished all 68 episodes of Bosch in 14 days.

Surprise! It’s very good. Season 5 is the worst.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Super interested in how the spinoff turns out, really enjoyed Bosch too but the final season fell flat for me.

7 was hurt by two fewer episodes, almost leisurely pacing was a highlight of earlier seasons.

for me season 5 was definitely the worst, though the courtroom scene at the end was very satisfying.

1/2 > 4 > 3/6 > 7 > 5.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

D34THROW posted:

I want to watch Bosch because I love the books but im scared that they wont do Michael Connolly justice. How do they handle it? Cant be a season per book but the books have a ton of content.

Please tell me the series caps off with Burning Room and how Harry gently caress-yous his way out of the precinct. :allears:

Also I want to see Titus Welliver as Harry Bosch and not Jimmy O'Phelan.

A friend of mine told me he read Connelly calls Titus Welliver on the phone and has him recite potential Bosch dialogue cause Welliver inhabits Connelly’s idea of Bosch so well.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

So was the Onion SportsDome.

GOOMF was loving amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL46C85A958BCCCB26

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NoDamage posted:

I kind of miss mystery of the week shows like Person of Interest

Uh, how far did you get into person of interest?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

This sounds about right, but I remember the kid being particularly lovely at the end of the third season -- isn't he instrumental in letting the nuke go off or something?

you're correct.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

having a lot of feelings about DARK and the consistent one is just occasionally screaming "STOP BEING A SHITHEAD" at various characters

it's good though

I'm watching this now and it's a) the most complicated show I've ever seen and b) so difficult to watch that my pace after season 1 slowed to 1 episode a night, and in season 3, less than half.

it's so good but each scene is so heavy. after every episode I read the fandom page to make sure I understood what happened.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

[staff edit: removed quote of spam crap]

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

season 3 was super confusing, but Dark stuck the landing.

I have never seen a more complicated show, but it appears to all work.

it's a masterpiece.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Option B sounds like that short lived series The Lost Room, which ruled and was my entre into SCP type stuff (and predated Warehouse 13 by a few years)

the lost room loving ruled

I watched the first 4 episodes of Poker Face and it's fine but instantly knowing when someone's lying is such a crutch that immediately makes the show an order of magnitude worse than the worst episodes of Columbo.

I get that in a crime show you can overwhelmingly rely on the detective solving the crime by the end of the episode, but at least Columbo had to be clever about it rather than just muttering "bullshit!"

Why she doesn't immediately start asking everyone around if they had a hand in it whenever a body turns up around her makes no sense.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

She is not a cop or otherwise intrinsically motivated to solve crime, so she's not in a position of authority but rather vulnerability if she goes about questioning people.

MokBa posted:

Since she isn't an actual detective, the only reason she even gets involved in the mystery to begin with is by immediately sussing out lies. And she can't really work with cops because she's keeping a low profile. The whole show is her brute forcing a way for killers to be exposed in a tiny amount of time.

I hadn't considered either of these and I find them compelling - I appreciate it.

Meatgrinder posted:

Also, do you think it's bad that the audience knows who did it in shows like Columbo?

Not at all, Columbo's my second favorite show of all time.

I find Howcatchem just as, if not more fun than Whodunnit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

LOST's fumbling the bag on all its great ideas is only second to GoT's final two seasons in storytelling history

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Got to SVU season 22, the covid season, and it’s hilarious to see a) random characters masking/unmasking at just the strangest times, and b) the crazy blocking and shot selection to keep social distancing characters all in frame.

A doctor stopping to discuss the victim’s injuries with a detective outside the ICU? No one’s masked. Another detective arrives masked and the two walk away? The first detective masks up.

Scene to scene different characters are masked, sometimes they’re close together other times across the room.

Wild times.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

mystes posted:

that's a much higher level of accuracy than I would expect from SVU

I'm ~1.5 episodes deep and the trouble is it doesn't appear there's logic to it.

the detectives always carry masks if they're not wearing them, but they go on and off, distancing or not, almost randomly.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Finished Mr robot.

Oof.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Finished A Murder at the End of the World - probably could have been one episode shorter, OR gone a little more into the tech side vs the murder mystery, but I enjoyed this.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm 4 episodes deep into Fringe and does it evolve beyond "X years ago, I worked on Y project for Z people. Now it's back" ?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Octy posted:

Yes. The first season is a little patchy in quality but it's somewhere in the top 10 of my all time favourite shows.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yes, but a lot of S1 is like that. Unless you hate it, keep going.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes and no? That's basically the premise of the show but they start doing it in bigger and better ways.

appreciate it! the number of projects this guy worked means each took him like 3 days tops.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm….appreciating tightly written sitcoms

???

Curb is largely improv

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Finished Fringe, overall 2/5.

if it had been ~40 episodes there was a good show somewhere in here, but at 100 there's way too much, and most of it isn't good.

acting uniformly meh except for Noble who's amazing.

even aside from the filler episodes, too many jumps and changes in focus. alternate universe, this universe, both universes without Peter, future, etc. reminds me of LOST and not in a good way.

the entire last season is a low budget scavenger hunt where even the characters only kinda know what they're looking for.

it's clear that even if this coulda been a good show, network TV season sizes + the "we don't know if this season is/was our last" made that impossible.

some really great ideas in here, just far between and not explored enough.

EDIT: also somewhere around season 4 Walter becomes super religious out of nowhere?

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 29, 2024

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Octy posted:

Fringe is one of my favourite shows and I can understand it's not for everyone but why'd you bother watching the whole thing if you didn't like it?

it had a handful of good ideas and one exceptional acting performance.

I'd heard enough good about it to give it a shot at redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CeeJee posted:

Hijack or Everyone Is An Idiot.

my mind turned off in the first episode when there was a >1 minute argument about whether one could say the word 'bullet' on a plane.

enjoyed it, but it was super dumb.