Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Big Love is actually a fantastic show. At first I thought there would be no way I could get over the initial premise (polygamy), but the show succeeds because it goes a lot deeper than that, and explores human problems.

Of course, it's also fun to see the Mormon worldview and try to understand it.

Bill Paxton does an outstanding job, on top of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

waar posted:

Going to go watch the 3 prequel episodes now

THERE ARE 3 PREQUEL EPISODES?!

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

waar posted:

Wait what the heck, ok these aren't actual episodes just little clips

:smith:

Day ruined.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

I finally started watching the Wire. Finished season one last night. It's pretty drat good.

I just finished the Wire today, and I'm feeling sad right now because I don't know if there is anything out there that can match it.

I have seen most of the good HBO dramas (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Rome, and now The Wire). So what else is there for me? I tried to start Deadwood a couple years back, but I didn't really get into it for whatever reason. I was considering buying The Shield, but I'm afraid a lesser police show won't hack it after I just finished The Wire.

poo poo. True Blood? Is that any good? Surely not.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

True Blood isn't anywhere near on the same level as the other shows you listed. It's a trashy and fun show to watch, but don't expect greatness.

Have you see David Simon's other stuff? He has Treme, The Corner, and Generation Kill.

I haven't seen any of those yet. Haven't gotten into Treme because I prefer to watch dvd sets rather than wait each week for a new episode, but I might give it a shot anyway (same for Breaking Bad). The other two are intriguing too--I just know I'll finish them really quickly since they're miniseries.