Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Rhyno posted:

He is loving incredible on Legends of Tomorrow.

His best performance is in season 5 of Desperate Housewives. I've never seen someone do "innocuous laugh turning into an evil glare" as well as him. Probably my favorite performance in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

should I try Desperate Housewives? I've never even considered the thought before lol

It's probably in my top 5 shows, and my favorite tv comedy besides for the good seasons of the Simpsons. Give the first episode a shot, I know it was enough to get me watching though it definitely is a show that grows on you as you grow to like the characters and get used to it's rhythm and surreal/satirical reality. It has 8 seasons and they're all pretty consistently good. Eva Longoria's acting is little shaky at first but she pretty quickly gets to be awesome and hilarious.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

nate fisher posted:

TV has never been better than around that 2004 to 2006 timeframe. You had The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Carnivale just on HBO. You had shows like Battlestar Galactic, The Shield, and Lost on other channels. I am sure I am not remembering some shows, but despite my love for The Leftovers and H&CF (which is my favorite show since Mad Men), 2017 gets in line behind either 2004 or 2005. It was like having 5 to 6 shows airing in one year that were just as good or better than The Leftovers.

I think about this poo poo all the time. Imagine watching new episodes of Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives and Malcolm in the Middle, all on the same night! I feel like it can't just be blind nostalgia that makes me think TV was on the whole was better then.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I've been hate watching Good Girls. I only have a few more episodes and then I'll be free of this curse the show has left on me (at least until there's a fourth season).

This show isn't "so bad it's good", it's a car crash I can't look away from for some unknown reason. This is obviously attempting to be the female version of Breaking Bad, and to make it even more insulting it actually straight up plagiarizes Breaking Bad's dialogue just replacing meth stuff with money counterfeiting (lol). I guess they think they can get away with it because,as we all know, no women watch Breaking Bad, hence the need for a female version.

I really enjoy stories where characters find themselves over their heads in some criminal plot, but this show has zero logic and zero likable characters. I'll be watching the show feeling like I have to yell at the screen, imagining how scenes could have been changed slightly to make the show just a tiny bit more believable. The show meanwhile emphasizes that these women are good at their criminal enterprise, even though all we see is just them loving up everything but there being no consequences due to some deus ex machina. Good Girls was created by Jenna Bans, who was the head writer on Desperate Housewives (probably in my top 5 shows of all time) so I actually expected to like this show before I started watching it. Somehow this show manages to be less funny than Desperate Housewives, but also less subversive even though its trying very hard to be a "dark comedy".

Also, is Christina Hendricks actually good in other things or do people just like her because she has big boobs? I feel like it's the latter from watching this.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

emo-ignorance posted:

I rewatched United States of Tara for the third time recently. So loving good. Toni Collette is obviously an icon, but Rosemarie DeWitt does extraordinary things with Charmaine. She's an annoying character, but her moments of humanity are so genuine that I can't not love her.

I also recently rewatched this for the third time. It's very good, it always felt like it could become great. The ending is pretty solid but it definitely could have had another season. Toni is so awesome as all the different characters. I might watch Unbelievable for the third time for some more Toni, that's one of the best and most realistic cop show/miniseries if you want something really sad and really good.