Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Just ran Lost Seasons 3 and 4, 4 on my parent's Tivo so I suppose it fits the thread. The more "magic" the island gets the sadder I get. Were it not for characters like Sawyer, Ben, and the supposedly "fine" Jin I would consider dropping the show. Ben is just far too compelling to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I watched the entire first season of In Treatment in like five days and I have no idea if the show is good or not. I really enjoyed it but I apparently have a massive blind spot for therapy dramas so I don't trust my own opinion.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

kaworu posted:

Y'know, this is a really good point to make in a general way. There are shows that I subjectively enjoy the hell out of, but on an objective level have no clue about the actual quality because I'm too blinded by how much I like it. For instance I can always watch ridiculous sci-fi mystery shows like Flashforward or The Event, but I know they're actually pretty lovely and kinda suck. This is totally different from watching a show like The Wire or Deadwood, which I know are really great in a purely objective sense in addition to enjoying them. Like, I can watch a high-quality show about any subject and within pretty much any genre or form, but when it comes to the average middle-of-the-road stuff I stick to certain things.

But I think it's important to at least recognize this. The people who are able to understand that about themselves can make good recommendations to others, and the people who don't always make poor or inconsistent ones. This is also why I never discuss anime on my SA account, actually - I'm totally aware that the anime I like is incredibly horrible and awful and I would be beyond embarrassed to discuss them amongst people that don't, erm, already share my tastes.

Yeah I was honestly thinking about making a thread about this issue before I decided to just post here. It is interesting to think about at least. I think it is different than a guilty pleasure because it doesn't speak to a baser instinct of enjoyment just a very niche one.