Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

HppyCmpr posted:

I've just binged through all seven seasons of The Shield, it was a glorious experience. Really glad I finally watched it especially after watching the Wire earlier this year and Breaking Bad as it progressed. Looking forward to the new season of BB too.

I'm literally at the start of the last episode now (10:27pm NZ time 04/07/12) so I haven't seen the ending but I'm loving it so far. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

Here I go!

Just finished The Shield myself, pretty good show although a step below The Wire. It was a fun ride with a reasonably satisfying ending.

Not really sure what to watch next, those two were a lot of cop dramas in a row so probably something very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What show isn't a step below The Wire?

They're both really good shows with cops and that's exactly where the similarities and comparisons end. Also "reasonably satisfying" ending is the understatement of the year.

I dunno, The Shield never managed to really pull me in like the shows I list as my absolute favorites. It was very good and worth watching, but I never really had that "oh god it's way too late but I have to know what happens next" feeling.

Not every show has to be awesome on the level of Breaking Bad or The Wire.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Christmas Jones posted:

I just finished Dexter season 4. I'd been avoiding it since the final twist had been spoiled for me, but I'm glad I finally watched it. It was surprisingly emotionally affecting, and the last couple episodes washed away most of the problems I'd had with the show to this point.

And now I hear that seasons 5 and 6 suck. I'll probably eventually check them out, though.

Maybe you can help me out. I wanted to give Dexter another shot but I forget when I quit watching. It was near the beginning of the season with the blonde girl that Dexter found as a prisoner when he was killing someone. He had her as sort of a prisoner because she knew his secret when I bailed on the show. I think that might have been season four, but I don't really want to dig around and risk having stuff spoiled for me.

The spoiler tags probably aren't necessary, but I figured it was best to play it safe in this thread.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

chancy posted:

Someone said that it takes until episode 6 for The Wire to click ... I churned through The Shield

If you made it through The Shield you'll definitely want to stick with The Wire. The Wire is sooooooooooo much better in every way.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Doctor Candiru posted:

The point was made earlier that Mad Men is a show that works better watching one episode per day. You could do Mad Men and Breaking Bad at the same time, even. Two Breaking Bads and one Mad Men per day.

Or go Lost, Breaking Bad, Mad Men.

Breaking Bad works best as a show where you start the first season not knowing what you're getting into and end chaining cans of Red Bull to finish the entire series in one sitting.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

nilumtil posted:

Anyone have specific recommendations? I like a lot of gritty and at least vaguely realistic stuff. Depictions of the criminal underworld, particularly organized crime, that aim for realism.

It was mentioned just a few posts up, but Oz is ridiculously good. If you liked The Wire you'll recognize a bunch of actors, and spend the rest of your TV watching life constantly going "oh poo poo, that's the guy/girl from Oz".

On some level I consider The Wire to be the evolved version of Oz. Oz focused on the struggle between criminal factions in a prison. The Wire expanded that to a larger-scale with a more diverse group of warring factions.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

screenwritersblues posted:

So I guess that it's a smart move to go into Oz after The Wire then? Because that's what I'm doing.

I watched Oz first, but they're both great shows. It's tough to go wrong watching them in either order.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

shagster104 posted:

I'm about to start watching Heroes for the first time. Anything I should know?

I just finished watching Heroes seasons three and four after having watched the first two when they initially aired, for the love of god do not even consider watching past season two. I'm really hard pressed to come up with a show that took a bigger nosedive. It wasn't even Steven Seagal movie kind of bad where you can find humor in how awful it is. It's like they systematically went through stripping everything fun out of the show and set to work on making me hate all the characters I liked.

I'm still kind of reeling over how awful season four was.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wish someone could Haitian seasons three and four away so I could just remember the cool superhero show I enjoyed. On a more positive note I'm pretty excited to start Alphas after all the goon hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CaptainHollywood posted:

That seems incredibly helpful. If any show needs a who's-who (and where's where) guide it's Game of Thrones.

There was a rather large image circulating listing all the main characters names, a photo of their actor from the show and where they fit on the "family tree". I found it helpful for the first few episodes while I was still putting names to faces. Shouldn't be too hard to dig up on GIS.

Edit: stopped being lazy and dug up a URL. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljvomnekzJ1qa2ylwo1_1280.jpg

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 19, 2013