Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Due to the recent announcement of a season 3, I've decided to FINALLY watch Twin Peaks. I saw Fire Walk With Me years ago, but I only remember David Bowie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I feel like Twin Peaks is David Lynch's Northern Exposure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

O'Reiley. I forgot him. He's such a prick I love it.

O'Reilly and Adibisi are really my favourites. Oz was my very first 'grown-up, hour-long, anything-goes drama' show that I ever watched, and I'm happy to say that I actually caught it while it aired. Thanks, Showtime (in Canada), for re-airing HBO stuff! My wife and I just went through it recently (her first time), and it's really incredible how different the show is compared to almost everything else that's been on HBO since. Also, I love the revolving storytelling setup, where once you're done with, say, the Rebadow story for an episode, you really won't hear from him again until the next episode. I think Tom Fontana did that with one of his old shows, too?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I whole-heartedly recommend House of Cards. Unless you know U.S. politics, it can get kind of confusing (and a little bit dull) at certain points, but overall, I was very impressed by it.

Frank Underwood is a bastard, but I hear Francis Urquhart is worse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

3 more episodes of Oz to go. Keller is such a POS.

Please post when you're done!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I only caught season 2, but man, was it fantastic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm half-watching/mostly listening to Fresh Prince while working. The show is this weird balance between jokes you see coming a mile away that also sound phoned-in, with genuinely good ones. Plus, you end up liking the characters enough that the bad jokes aren't that bad. I watched this a ton growing up, but now I'm actually going through all 6 seasons from start to finish.

I hate the season 1 house.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Riosan posted:

At one time, it was on Netflix Canada. Not sure if it still is, though

All 6 seasons are currently available on Netflix Canada.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm 6 or so episodes into Fringe, and I'm really enjoying it. I watch/listen to it in the background at work, so while I hear everything, I don't catch all the visuals. That said, I still think it's pretty drat good. A lot of people have told me it's like a better X-Files, which ends better. Mulder and Scully's chemistry aside, I'd have to agree, based on what I've seen so far.

Maybe a little bit of House in there, too. Older man trying to Sherlock a new mystery every week. I posit that it was partly an inspiration.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ruth is loving awesome. Definitely report back once you're finished.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Hhahahahaha oh man, you have no idea.

The last season is pretty decent and has a pretty cool gimmick- but the last episode is one giant fuuuuuuuuck you to the viewer.

Can you spoil this for me, someone who has no interest in the show, but would love to know why it ended so terribly?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also, it's based on the Rampart scandal, where a cop was pulling poo poo like that for real. There's a Woody Harrelson movie about the scandal, too, but The Shield is a far better take on it all.

EDIT: Here ya go -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

EDIT 2: Actually 'Rampart' was the original title of The Shield. Don't think too much, and enjoy the inevitable fallout of every lovely thing Vic does.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 26, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There is that one episode of the Shield later on that's a flashback. Vic seems less horrible then, but still pretty bad. Interesting to see the Barn as a brand new (to them) place.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Basically I like the show, I'm just hoping that a huge wave of karma is building and is going to come crashing down over them in the later series. They keep getting away with it without remorse or consequence, and that is unsatisfying to me.

Oh you :allears: Please post here or in the Shield thread as you get further into it.

EDIT: vvvvvvv Well, it's arguable that season 5 is THE best, not just for the ending, but for everything involving John Kavanaugh/Forest Whitaker. While watching, I always love Season 4 so much, and then season 5 hits, and I realize that it's even better. vvvvvv

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 27, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chamberk posted:

Looks like a new feature - if you see your own writing quoted it's yellow.

Yaaaaay, finally features from SALR are becoming standard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

What was your opinion on Seinfeld? Frasier?

The older I get as much as I love Seinfeld - Frasier really was very smart and possibly better than Seinfeld. Essentially Big Bang Theory of the 90s but better in every possible way. I just never 'got' it at the time.

I thought Frasier was great, but I also found there was too much of the 'set up -> punchline' dialogue like every other sitcom. While Seinfeld did that as well to a point, there was way more going on in it.

I will give Frasier props, though, the jokes themselves were quite good, despite the format.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104600

Also, I sincerely hope you enjoy season 5, it's some of the best tv I've ever seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Just bringing sandwiches to your friends :)

loving heartbreaking, every time I see it. Every time. He's just so thankful to get some food :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^ Ha. ^^

PantsBandit posted:

I recently started watching Sons of Anarchy. On season 2 now. It's very good so far with very likable characters. They do seem to have some strange disconnect between the extremely dark subject matter (graphic rape and murder) and honestly pretty happy character interaction. Overall I'm liking it a lot. These bikers have very white teeth.

You should really head over to the SoA thread in TVIV :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm just finishing up the series, watching season 7 as I type at work. It...gets pretty loopy at times and sooo many fans hate the creator for the direction it goes, but I think it's watchable all the way through. Lots of twists and turns. I should finish the last few episodes before I finish up today.

You really should check out the thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I found it and am scrolling through the posts as I half-watch the show. That's about the level of involvement I have with the way the plot (ha!) is going, it's something in the background. The kid Abel is going to grow up to be the lovechild of Charles Manson and John Wayne Gacy or something.

We lovingly liken him to a Terminator, for all the emotion he tends to show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I tried to follow threads for shows I was bingewatching through, but the problem is they tend to turn into hatewatch circlejerks about how terrible it is and who hated the show first, and how it's so poo poo compared to season 2 blahblahblah. That stuff is really not fun to slog through when you're marathoning a show that you're still enjoying at least a little.

I guess so, but even everyone in the thread agrees that the show is better when binged, at least until the end of season 4. That's when Sutter thinks he's super awesome, writing what he must think is an intricate plot, which in reality is just a garbled mess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Your fact checking sucks.

Yeah really... Dude, did you even read the IMDb page?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh yeah, Russell? I think Ben Foster does a great job in portraying someone who is completely insufferable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

nwin posted:

End of season 3: six feet under

Lisa dying was out of left field...do we ever find out what happened?

More or less.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Please keep posting your thoughts, I love SFU and am always interested in hearing what other people think.

Also, the name you're blanking on is David.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

It's probably the most famous feature of the BBC version, so it makes sense they'd want to carry it over

Thing is, if I remember correctly, Urquhart only ever does it when he's alone on screen; I'm fairly sure there's been a few instances of Underwood doing it while there's other people with him (for example, the scene where he's sworn in, I think, though I may be misremembering).

Oh, there are many times when he does it in other people's presence. With Linda, and Bob (I think). I also believe he does it a bunch when he's down home, after the car accident issue with the peach.

Edit: pretty sure he's done it in front of the president, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

I think they mean in the BBC version he only does it when alone.

I know, I was just chiming in saying, 'yes, Frank Underwood has done this numerous times with people around'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I still think it's incredible that Underwood became the motherfucking president with zero votes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This happened in real life too!

Oh yeah... Sorry, I'm Canadian!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Olivia42 posted:

Going through Sons of Anarchy now. It's awful. Every time I decide that's it, I'm giving up on this dumb show, something fun or somewhat interesting happens and I decide, eh, why not try one more episode and see how it goes.

This 'something interesting happens' REALLY drops off by season 7.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Konstantin posted:

I'm following the advice to stop watching after season 2, so I'm choosing to believe that Jax called the Coast Guard and the Irish guy who kidnapped Abel was arrested when he stopped to refuel his boat. From what I understand that makes much more sense than the show.

I can genuinely say that season 3, while kind of ridiculous, holds up better during a binge watch, and definitely has a satisfying ending. Stop there, do not continue to season 4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Geekslinger posted:

Generation Kill is fantastic and follows a close second to Band of Brothers for sure. The Pacific not so much. It was entertaining but I just didn't find it to be as rewarding and coherent as BoB was.

Also everyone should watch The Wire, especially now that it is out in HD.

Except in Canada, at least with TMN GO/HBO Canada.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Is there not a 6 feet under thread?

No joke, you could take your discussion to the Sons of Anarchy thread, as literally 90% of what we talk about there consists of better shows, not necessarily in the Sutter-verse.

Dead serious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Justified Season 1 is fairly slow, but everything else is great. As I've mentioned either here or the Sons of Anarchy thread, I enjoy Season 3 of Justified, as I love crazy Bond-esque villains, like Quarls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You gotta hand it to Quarles

You know, you really, REALLY do. Really.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

Trust me, I'm struggling.

Just do it, and join us in the Better Call Saul thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

What? Why would you watch that far and quit then? idgi

I know someone who refuses to watch it on the basis that her friends told her to skip the first two seasons and that if that was necessary then it must be a bad show. I tried to tell her her friends are poo poo and wrong and that it's good from the start and she should just watch it but NOPE NOT WATCHING IT

I had someone who just thought that Walter White was too much of an unbelievable idiot (because of the refusal to take Gretchen and Elliot's money), that he couldn't get into the show. I kept saying that it was Walt's monstrous pride that kept him from doing that. Plus later on the show gets better,, since he gets into so many insane situations and has to figure out how to fix them all, one mistake after another, getting worse and worse, and he couldn't understand why anyone would find that compelling. I mean, Walt's not LOOKING to make mistakes, but he is just so bad at being a criminal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Scrapez posted:

Oz is very violent and a great show.

I agree with this. While it's definitely not action-y, the violence is very strong in it.

Especially between Beecher and Schillinger :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I probably won't be checking out Banshee any time soon, until it comes to legit services I have access to (Cravetv.ca, or Netflix CDN), but I have started The Wire, and am almost finished S1. Loving it so far!