Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Just finished the third season of House and How I Met Your Mother. I never really liked House, because the "medical mystery" portion of the show is really formulaic. I decided to give it a chance, and now I really like it. I still don't really care about the medical parts of the shows most of the time, but the characters, especially House, more than make up for it.

HIMYM was pretty good. Other than the premise it's not that original, but it's entertaining enough. Ted is a boring rear end character though.

Next is West Wing and the second season of Rome. I need to finish The Wire eventually, but it's annoying that they apparently just refused to film in widescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I tried to watch Farscape because I wanted a good scifi show to watch, but I couldn't get through the first episode because it was just so incredibly cheesy and generic. I'm guessing it gets better, but when exactly does that happen?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've been watching The Wire a lot, but while each each season has eventually gotten awesome, without fail I'm just bored senseless at the start of each season. I'm at the beginning of season 4, and even though I just got finished with season 3 yesterday and it was incredible, I just can't sit through the first episode. It's the weirdest thing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh nevermind, you're rewatching it, not watching it for the first time.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Cart posted:

Figured I'd go for a more lighthearted show, was thinking of either Chuck or Burn Notice, are they any good at all, how do they compare?

I've never seen Burn Notice, but I like Chuck, and a lot of others do as well. It's not the best show ever, but the characters are likable and funny, especially the Buy More employees. The spy part of the show is a little formulaic, but I don't really mind.

I would recommend How I Met Your Mother or 30 Rock for current comedy shows though, I like them both a lot more than Chuck.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I couldn't even get past the first episode of Farscape.

I do plan on trying to get past the first season of Babylon 5 though... it sounds exactly like the kind of scifi I'd like.

I want to watch Deep Space Nine for the same reasons as Babylon 5, but I feel I should watch TNG first. I'm about halfway through the first season, and boy does it start out bad (excluding the great pilot). It has slowly gotten better though, I'm starting to enjoy it. If it keeps getting better, I'll be hooked eventually.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get through the first holodeck episode.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Zuffox posted:

House

House is a pretty entertaining show if you watch it for House being crazy and funny. If you watch it for any other reason, you'll be disappointed.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

You don't need to watch TNG to power through DS9. I saw all seasons of DS9 before TNG and there was nothing clashing or missed. I enjoyed DS9 more so than TNG as well. I tried getting into B5 but I watched the first 5 episodes or so and it is excruciatingly hard to watch. I hope it picks up in later seasons because I'm not getting the same feel from this as I did from DS9, which was hard to put down and stop watching.

Well, I like TNG, but I just can't stand holodeck episodes. Maybe I'll just skip it.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

A friend just lent me the first season of The Wire, and I have to say, I hate it so far, and I think you guys are a bunch of liars.

My problem with The Wire is it seems the first half of a season is nothing but setting everything up for the latter half. I've watched three seasons so far, and it's always the same: I have to force myself to watch the first half (or at least the first few episodes), and then after that it's intriguing enough that I don't have to force myself anymore. I've been on the fourth season for months, and I just can't summon up the will to watch it.

Also, it seems like the characters are just there to move the story along. I don't really care about any of them, and for me to really enjoy a show I need to be able to connect with the characters.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2009 around 19:42

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I like watching House's interaction with other characters, especially Thirteen and Cuddy. It seems like House becomes an anchor for all the other characters' development. I haven't seen a huge amount of episodes, so take this with the grain of salt with which it's due, but what I've seen indicates that working with him makes his colleagues more nihilistic and cynical by exposure, especially Foreman. For some reason, the "negative" character development reminds me of Michael's arc through the first two Godfather movies. I'm not saying they're comparable in quality; just that they seem similar to me.

What I said is mostly true for the most recent seasons. I like the characters, even the new ones, but if House being House isn't your main reason for watching the show, it's bound to disappoint.

Of course there are some pleasant surprises - the season 4 finale(s), for example.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

MrCompson posted:

watching Deadwood without subtitles was incredibly painful. vOv

How hard is it to understand "cocksucker"?

incredible bear posted:

Just gotta give this sentence more love for it's complete incorrectness.

The Wire gives the characters such attention it almost puts Dickens to shame, I'll accept that people would come out and complain about there not being a story, for you to go in the other direction, I'm seriously ing over here.

I see what you're saying, and you're right. I guess I just should've said that for some reason or another I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them all that much. Except Omar.

I've still enjoyed watching the show, just not nearly as much as everybody else it seems.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2009 around 18:31

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lost is one of those shows where I wish I could give myself amnesia just so I could watch it over again fresh.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Even though there are some rough patches in season 2 and 3 of Lost, all is redeemed in season 4, which I think almost every Lost fan agrees is far and away the best season so far. It's goddamn amazing from start to finish.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I really need to sit down and watch Angel from start to finish. I've seen little bits and pieces (and unfortunately almost all of the end episodes) and liked what I saw.

I agree with it being better than Buffy. I've liked Buffy since watching it when it first aired, but there's a lot of high school drama that doesn't appeal to me now that I'm not in high school. It gets much darker and more mature in later seasons, but Angel starts off that way. Plus demons are way cooler than vampires.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ishamael posted:

I disagree that Angel is better than Buffy. Angel is basically the story of all the people from Buffy that I didn't really care about (Cordelia, Angel, Darla, etc.). It's pretty good, but Buffy is better. And I would trade every episode of both series for more Firefly.

Well, I like all the other characters in Angel personally. Angel himself is a decent enough character and I couldn't give a crap less about Cordelia, I just like Lorne, Doyle, Fred*, Wes, Gunn, etc. I think they did do a good job of making Angel and Cordy more interesting and mature though.

*especially Fred

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

I'm currently about halfway through season one of How I Met Your Mother. So far I fail to see why so many goons like it, it just seems like another sitcom. The Thanksgiving episode was so loving cliche I almost gave up on the series right there. And I loving hate laugh tracks, especially when the show isn't funny. Someone tell me when (if?) it gets better?

If you don't like it from the very beginning you will never like it (and probably aren't human).

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

pwn posted:

I wish there wasn't a laugh track but it's not too bad, they don't use anything other than a basic laugh.

the hell are you talking about

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Encryptic posted:

Also just rented the first season of Deadwood yesterday and I'm enjoying that. The incredible amount of profanity is hilarious - I swear I heard "gently caress" less times in the first hour of Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas than I heard in the first ten minutes of Deadwood - not to mention "cocksucker" and "stinkyhole" a couple of times.

The best part is 90% of the profanity is from Al, and the actor who plays him has saying "cocksucker" down to an artform. I wish Al could've gotten his own spinoff show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I started watching 24, and I'm up to episode 10 of season 1 and it's starting to get kind of tedious. It was awesome the first 5-6 episodes, but it doesn't seem like anything's happening anymore, like the show's just spinning its wheels. I skipped through a few more eps and it all just seems like the same thing over and over.

Does it pick up soon or should I just give it up?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Speaking of RoryGilmore, I just finished the first season of Gilmore Girls. Really just a great show. I've never seen characters so likable and endearing, and at the same time so well written and deep. It's a little sad that it's labelled a "chick show" (although it's understandable), because anybody who likes character driven shows would probably like it. Even though the main characters are women, I think it's easy for anyone to identify with them because most of the problems they face aren't gender specific. Almost everyone has had trouble with relationships, has relatives that infuriate them, has made mistakes in their life, etc.

Plus, Rory is just so drat adorable.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm still at the Dean stage so I dunno. Thanks for spoiling poo poo for me though.

Just kidding I don't mind. That much.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I just finished season 3 of Gilmore Girls. The only problem I have with the show is that Rory is just too perfect. I still like her, and they don't go too overboard with her perfection so she's still a believable character, but it wouldn't have hurt if she was a little less perfect. I guess you could call her falling for Jess a character flaw, but she even does that in the most perfect way possible.

I've heard it gets less than good in the later seasons, when does it start getting not good? How not good is it?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait until she meets Logan, he's a bad influence, but this is in one of the later seasons. The show goes downhill in the last season which is when the original show creators/writers leave.

It's kind of funny that they need an outside influence to give the character flaws.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

I think it started going downhill with the whole Chris fiasco during Season 6, and then April showing up out of loving nowhere.

Well, either way, I'm glad I still have a ways to go before it gets less than good.

Is season 7 even worth watching?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Just started on House. I've caught the odd episode here and there and thought of it as a decent but standard medical procedural, but watching it in order I'm realizing it's actually quite a great little character drama.

I'll probably be blitzing through this pretty quickly.

If you get to season 5, I would keep an open mind about the possibility of skipping all but the first four and last four episodes of the season. Or at the very least fast forwarding through any scene with two certain individuals of opposite gender alone together, or another two individuals, one of whom is quite small. I feel confident you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. I'd say even the first four episodes are optional, but the last four are a must. They totally make up for all the ugggggggghhh.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

slowfoot posted:

There is nothing wrong with season 5

Well I guess if you're looking at it from the perspective of the last four episodes making up for the rest of the season turning into Grey's Anatomy Lite, With Special Guest Gregory House, then I guess I can almost kinda see your point. They made me want to see what's gonna happen in season 6 instead of vomit, at any rate.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

slowfoot posted:

If you're going to dismiss season 5 as Grey's Anatomy lite, then you could probably conclude the same about season 4, and season 3 too. Also, season 2. House has pretty much always dealt with the characters' relationships. There isn't enough difference between seasons to recommend skipping one.

House has pretty much always dealt with the characters' relationships... with House. The characters on House are not interesting in any way other than in the context of relating to and having to deal with House. I'd say Wilson and Cuddy are my favorite characters next to House, but even then they're only likable because of the way they interact with House. If House suddenly disappeared from the show, there's no way the other characters as they are now could sustain it. House. House House House. House House? House, House.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I haven't seen the first season in a while but I think it did start off a little slow. It does pick up though. State if Play is amazing as well. Was the American movie any good? I can't see how they could condense down a 6 hour miniseries without having it lose important bits.

I personally haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't too well received.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Forget that I said it was Grey's Anatomy Lite. That's not why I suggested to skip them. The parts I'm talking about were just plain dull and uninteresting at best. I didn't even think the medical mysteries were all that great in those episodes, partly because they (along with House) seemed to take a back seat. At any rate, I only said to keep an open mind about skipping those episodes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Been rewatching Gilmore Girls, and I gotta say: gently caress Jess. How terrible would that Jess-based spin-off have been? I can't believe anybody thought that was a good idea.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I really liked the political parts of The Wire, are there any shows that are similar? I've seen West Wing but I didn't really like it all that much; it seemed really idealistic and even cheesy at times. I'd like something more realistic like The Wire was. UK suggestions are welcome since I'm not even sure there has been anything like what I'm asking for on US TV.

e: huh, I thought there was a recommendation thread

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at Aug 2, 2010 around 05:45

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Also it's not trying to be realistic. They are caricatures on purpose. Because the idea of people that nerdy is absurd.

They are caricatures on purpose because writing good characters is hard, and most of their audience won't even know the difference anyway. It's much easier to just get out the ol' sitcom playbook, pick out sitcom situation #528 and plug nerd stereotypes into it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Slio posted:

Is it worth watching the UK series after watching the US one?

Absolutely. Life on Mars UK also has a "sequel" show called Ashes to Ashes. Both are really good shows and the ending to Ashes to Ashes was good, if a little cheesy. The ending to the US version sounds dumb as hell.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've tried to stat watching Farscape at least half a dozen times, but the furthest I've made it is finishing the first episode. All the aliens look stupid as hell (because they're weird puppets, not because they were poorly designed) and I couldn't give less of a poo poo about any of the characters.

I suppose I'll have to make a real effort to watch it one of these days, there's not a lot else that I haven't seen as far as sci-fi goes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's like a grossly exaggerated Seinfeld. The characters on Seinfeld weren't really terrible people, they just were pretty self-involved and always tended towards trying to do whatever got them the most benefit for the least amount of effort.

However, the characters on It's Always Sunny ARE terrible people who do terrible things and terrible things happen to them as a result. Whereas on Seinfeld the stories usually started with something kinda lame happening to the characters and then them making it worse by being self-centered idiots, the stories on It's Always Sunny usually start with the characters doing something stupid themselves and then making it worse and worse ad nauseam.

I don't particularly like the show either though. The characters on Seinfeld, while being assholes, were immensely likable assholes. I just can't find anything to like about the characters on It's Always Sunny, except that the stupid poo poo they do is sometimes kinda funny.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Vivek posted:

I just started season 3 of Friday Night Lights (two episodes in), and I'm not too happy. Where the gently caress is Jason Street!?.

I didn't even realize people liked him. After maybe the first half of season 1 I couldn't stand anything involving him, and especially him and Lyla (for the most part; there was some good stuff).

He has a major storyline in season 3 so don't worry. It's his last season on the show though.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Superrodan posted:

You're watching the wrong Life on Mars. The one with the notoriously terrible ending. Just warning you.

Plus it only got one season, whereas the good Life on Mars got 2 seasons and Ashes to Ashes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

dmccaff posted:

I've never seen Firefly before so after all the recommendations I finally sat down and started to watch it. I'm up as far as episode 8 I think where Jayne is the hero of Mud Town. I couldn't stop laughing when they started singing a song about him.

It's a good show, but so far I think it's been slightly overrated to be honest. I find a lot of the dialog to be very cheesy. But definitley not cancel worthy and a lot better than most of the crap on these days.

I'm pretty sure you haven't watched the best episodes of the series yet.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

SmokinDan posted:

Just started watching Cowboy Bebop as it's been mentioned as one of the better anime TV shows around.

I'm liking it so far. It helps that it's so goddamn stylish. The music is fantastic.

You should check this out.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess going by the word of mouth here I was expecting it to be like The Wire or something.

I found your problem.

If there's anything I can say for certain, it's that Veronica Mars is not The Wire.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never seen more that a few snippets of Buffy, but suspected as much. So basically it's a children's show. I got an inkling that it was being oversold in TVIV threads much like people oversell some anime as being more grown up than they really are.

Ah you're one of those people who can't just be content with disliking something, you have to be smug in your dislike as well. Now your posts make much more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Flatscan posted:

Keep watching.

Nah, he'll hate it because he's a grown up.

«4 »