Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I recently finished watching Freaks and Geeks. I was quite impressed. I wonder why I never watched it when it was being Broadcast. Next up for me is My So Called Life. I guess I'm catching up on all the teen dramas I never had time for when they were on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I thought I would blast through The Larry Sanders Show as I remember seeing 1 or 2 episodes when it aired originally, and kinda liked it. But I could barely get through 1 ep. on DVD all the way through, and I can't really muster up the motivation to watch the rest. Does it grow on you and get better? Or is it just not for me?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Recently finished Mad Men, enjoyed it immensely. Currently on season(s) 1 of Battle Star Galactica and 30 Rock.

It's rare to get my husband to watch TV with me, but he will listen in and pay half attention to these shows. And he even admitted that he enjoyed watching Mad Men over my shoulder, quite a compliment coming from him.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I recently binged through Metalocalypse and Death Metal City (metalocalypse-like anime). I was never much of a metal fan before, but I sure am now.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender. I thought it was fantastic. Such a rich world, and it tackled some very mature concepts for a children's show. Carnivale is next for me. I'm sure I'll like it too.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

LostBanana posted:

After putting it off for weeks, I finally finished watching Carnivale. I'm so loving depressed that there isn't any more of it. It's easily my favorite show of all time and I don't give that title out easily.

In other news, I started watching Rome. I'm already three episodes in.

Edit: It took me an entire season to recognize that Ben Hawkins is John Connor from T3.

Ugh. I just finished episode 6 of Carnivale. I know I'm going to be upset when it ends, but I hate hearing it. On the upside, I thought it was only 1 season long, so when I recently learned it was 2 seasons long, I was pleasantly surprised.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just finished season 1 of the British Coupling on Netflix (instant). I was sorely disappointed. I chuckled maybe once or twice during the whole 6 episode season. But I didn't hate it either, since for some reason kept on watching it.

I had heard such great things about it, and how it was the funniest sitcom ever. I guess my funny bone is broken, because I found it predictable and dull (but still better than much American TV).

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Just finished Six Feet Under. Had to buy a new box of kleenex after that certain someone's funeral. The finale was nice, but I had heard that it was *special* so maybe I had too high of hopes for it.

Next on the list is Generation Kill. After that, maybe the Wire? Or Dexter? Is Dexter funny at all? I could use a comedy.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just finished season 1 of Fame (1982) on Netflix, and midway through season 2. I loving love it. I used to watch as a kid, but I didn't remember a drat thing about it other than the intro song/credits. I might cringe whenever Lori Singer opens her mouth, but I also drool whenever Gene Anthony Ray dances in those little shorts and mesh tank tops.

It's not as gritty as Fame the movie (1980), but the series is a solid B/B+ for me. If you're at all nostalgic for the 70s/80s, were ever involved in music/dance/theatre, and/or love Glee (because of the singing/dancing, not in spite of it), give Fame a shot.

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at Mar 18, 2010 around 07:02

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just finished the first 2 seasons of Weeds on streaming netflix, and onto season 3. Season 1 slayed me, it was fantastic. Season 2 was still pretty good, but it's quickly turning into something that I'm watching just because I started it, and not because I'm finding it brilliant. I think maybe they progressed the story to quickly, as I loved the 'Soccer Mom' dealing at games, but when she starts expanding into dangerous territory, it is less fun to watch for me.

There are at least 5 seasons on Netflix (is this still in the air? I'm not sure). Should I keep watching, or will I just get further and further disappointed as I continue into Season 3 and beyond.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Adrianics posted:

If anything, IASIP becomes even better once Danny DeVito joins.
I agree. I was very worried about it when he first showed up (I knew nothing about the show) but he's just perfect!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I finally started watching Dexter. That's gotta be the weirdest father-son dynamic I have ever seen.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just started on Better off Ted and Breaking Bad. I quite like them both. But for some reason each episode of Breaking Bad seems 3 hours long, and I can't seem to get through it in one sitting, even though I am enjoying it.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I have 1 episode of The Deadliest Catch season 1 left to watch. I was surprised at how much I was drawn into the first half of the season (king crab), but I am really having a hard time caring at all about the second half of the first season (opilio crab).

I don't think I'm going to watch anymore seasons, unless you guys convince me otherwise. Is there anything different from season to season? I mean, crab fishing is crab fishing, right?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is surprisingly good. I watched all available episodes in just 2 days.

I've also started Scrubs and Californication. For some reason, I thought Californication was an hour long drama, not a half-hour comedy. I've just finished season 1, and I like it, but I feel like it has more to give. Maybe it will in the upcoming seasons.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fatkraken posted:

I always count episode 10 as the point at which the show really finds its feet. Maybe it's because I really like the MOTW in 10, but there's character stuff laid down from about that point that really starts the show down a more interesting path.

Hmm, I'm glad you mentioned that. I was watching Farscape several months ago. I liked it, but wasn't loving it. I just checked, and I only got through episode 8. Maybe I will pick it up again when I have a lull to fill.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I'm midway through the second episode of The Wire. So far, it's been a chore to get through, and I have to stop every 15-20 minutes because I just can't take it anymore.

I keep hearing that this is the best TV Drama ever! If I don't like the first few episodes, am I doomed? Or is it going to grow on me?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Gangringo posted:

It keeps a constant pace all the way through, at the beginning you'll hate it because you want the action to start by the end you'll love it because you don't want it to stop. If I remember correctly it takes four or more episodes just to introduce all the characters.

I think the introduction of a million characters I can't keep track of or care about yet is one of the flaws I'm struggling with. I'm going to try and power through the first disk of The Wire from Netflix, but I may have to try this one again at another time. Time will tell, I suppose.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I tried twice to watch it before, but I could never get past the first 10 minutes or so. But I finally powered through and got HOOKED on Party Down and it is as awesome as everyone says! Wow, what a fun show, I wish there were 3 more seasons of it. I have NO idea why it was so hard for me to get into it in the first place. Gives me hope that I will someday also fall in love with The Wire like everyone else has, since I just don't get it yet.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just finished watching Friday Night Lights. I tried watching it once before, but I couldn't get through the first episode. Wow, so glad I powered through it! I really fell in love with this show. I don't like football much, but I really got sucked into the teamwork and drama, and I totally learned more about the game than I ever wanted to know before. I might halfway understand what's going on in a real game know, instead of just seeing mayhem and chaos.

I got a little worried in the beginning of season 2 that it was grasping at straws with the baby and murder plotlines but I guess it never went too far off the deep end, and stayed rather grounded throughout the series.

I'm sad it's over now, and I'm not sure what I'm going to spend my time on instead.
But I'm glad I finally watched the 'football show' even though my husband couldn't understand what I saw in it.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just started watching Skins (UK) on netflix. I knew nothing about it, except I heard that Misfits was like Skins + Heroes, so I figured it was a British teen dramedy.

I really liked the first episode, but I'm on episode 5 now, and I seem to be liking each one less and less. I'm not giving up though, and hopefully it will turn around for me again, and I'll make it through to season 2 and beyond.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Started watching Entourage last week. Now I'm almost done with season 2. It's certainly a guilty pleasure. I'm not sure why I like it, but it is wildly entertaining. Vinnie's cute to look at, but that's about all. I adore the brother, Drama, but I have a hard time believing he's Vinnie's brother. Turtle is great, but I don't believe that he's been friends with these guys since childhood. The agent will forever be Ellen's cousin to me. The characters annoy me, but I still keep watching... with a smile.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I just finished Spaced, it's a British sitcom that's on Netflix right now. Fun and quirky, each episode goes a different direction (reminds me of Community that way). Just 2 seasons, I wish it were more.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Mike the TV posted:

After randomly seeing it on Netflix, I decided to watch the British comedy Peep Show. It's the best tv decision I've made in a long time. It's basically like a British combination of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Always Sunny. The gimmick is that you see the show from the perspective of the two main characters, Mark and Jeremy. And I mean really from their perspective, thoughts and all. It takes a few episodes to get used to the format, and the show doesn't really find itself until the second season, but the seasons are also short, just 6 episodes each.

This is a good show. You really, really won't regret checking it out. I've heard that new episodes will be coming out this year, so I'm excited!

I chugged through the first season recently. It felt like 10 episodes to me, I couldn't believe it was only 6, and it took me a week or two to do it. I kept feeling like I "should" like Peep Show, but I just didn't. But I didn't hate it either. But now I'm almost done with season 2, and that only took a night or two. I'm glad I stuck with it, and I think it will grow on me more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I get it.

I finally get the rage over the cancellation of Firefly. I had seen a 1/2 episode here and a 1/2 episode there, had seen the movie Serenity, but never really felt a connection to Firefly. I finally sat myself down and watched the series on Netflix and I now understand.

That show was incredible, and it had SO MANY more stories to tell. I kinda feel like a national treasure was ripped away from us. Such a shame.