Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

In the past month I've burned through/finished off Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, True Blood, and I'm halfway through Big Love. Up next is Carnivale, Deadwood, Oz, season five of The Wire, Six Feet Under, The Shield, and The Sopranos. With the Spring lineup starting this Friday into mid-February I don't know where I'll find the time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Just finished Six Feet Under. The first three seasons were great, but by the end of the fourth they somehow made it so I hated every character. It started with Nate who was a jackass from the beginning, followed shortly by Claire and Ruth. The only bearable character until the end that I had any feeling for was Rico and maybe Vanessa (and David at times). Because of this, the final season and the final episode were completely emotionless for me.

edit: Whoever compared Lisa in Six Feet Under to Amy in True Blood in the True Blood thread was crazy. Amy is tame in comparison to the poo poo character that Lisa was.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 24, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I miss Omar already.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Supernatural. I wrote off the show for some reason, but got hooked beginning with the first episode. The show is great and Jensen Ackles is hilarious. Nearly up to date with the show, watching it all in a few days time, I need help.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Zuffox posted:

It won't be long until the series devolves into shear suck. I'd at least buy one season at a time and watch them until the end, because you're either about or over the turning point.

It gets bad, but not unwatchable bad. The only saving grace for me was Julian Sark though, and he didn't show up often.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Zuffox posted:

Did you get to the Resident Evil episode?

I guess that one was so bad I erased it from memory? I saw the whole series, so I must have seen it.

VV Oh, right :( It's all coming back to me.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 9, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

The Sopranos. I'm on the beginning of season 3, and I absolutely cannot stand Janice. The rest of the show is pretty good, though. Sadly IMDB says she's on the show until the end.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Trophy Boner posted:

Speaking of RoryGilmore, I just finished the first season of Gilmore Girls. Really just a great show. I've never seen characters so likable and endearing, and at the same time so well written and deep. It's a little sad that it's labelled a "chick show" (although it's understandable), because anybody who likes character driven shows would probably like it. Even though the main characters are women, I think it's easy for anyone to identify with them because most of the problems they face aren't gender specific. Almost everyone has had trouble with relationships, has relatives that infuriate them, has made mistakes in their life, etc.

Plus, Rory is just so drat adorable. :unsmith:

The first three, maybe four, seasons are the best. After that it's still watchable, but the seventh is pretty bad.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The only characters I dislike are Jess and Logan, probably because they get to sleep with Rory. Logan is also a jerk, he can be sweet to her when everything is going fine but if there is some slight problem he turns into an rear end in a top hat. I don't like Jess because he's the embodiment of this guy:

I hated Jess at first but grew to like him a lot. He's one of my favorite characters now. Also I'm pretty sure he never had sex with her.

Logan, on the other hand, I hate with a passion.

VV Sorry, that was a dumb move on my part. The only thing spoiled was she doesn't have sex with a dude, and that dudes are jerks, though. So it's not all bad!

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 14, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Nearly done with The Sopranos. Is it some sort of television rule that close to the last season a main character needs to get an eye-patch? (BSG, Buffy, now this, pretty sure there's one or two more I don't remember)

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

WescottF1 posted:

We just watched "Undeclared: The Complete Series" in the past week via Netflix. I think now I'll bust out the "Freaks & Geeks" boxset and watch those in succession. Judd Apatow's TV shows were so drat good.

Speaking of, I just watched Freaks & Geeks for the first time. drat, what a very good series. Sam got on my nerves by episode two though for some reason.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

outofnowhere05 posted:

"OHH! Hey Cindy!"

And whenever he laughed...pissed me off to no end.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

uXs posted:

gently caress the writers/producers/whoever for killing both Cordelia and Fred though.

Cordelia got annoying as hell by that point and I was glad to see her finished off. gently caress them regarding Fred though indeed.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

I've watched the first eight episodes today. Holy poo poo this is an awesome guilty pleasure drama. There's a lot of the good stuff from The O.C.'s first season without most of the bad stuff, at least so far. And Blake Lively is so so so so much better in every way than Mischa Barton in the lead female role.

It really is great. It sort of lags during the mid-point of Season 2, but otherwise I've enjoyed the show immensely. Blake Lively is great.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch Friday Night Lights. Get Season 1, skip 2, and go straight to 3. It's one of the best dramas

Season 2 had its moments (Saracen in the tub for one). But they somehow made Minka Kelly aggravating.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Speaking of Entourage, I watched the pilot of that, and it seemed interesting but moved way too fast for me to get a sense of who anybody was. Should I watch it again more closely or keep going and pick it up?

Keep going and it'll pick up. Entourage has been one of the most entertaining shows I've watched.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

My girlfriend and I just marathoned all 4 seasons of How I Met Your Mother. We always meant to watch it after we found out about it, but we already had a few shows we were watching at the time and just never got around to it. Then we caught a few episodes on repeat syndication and HAD to watch the whole series. Took us about a week due to work conflicts taking up time. Such a fantastic show, and I have no idea why I hadn't even heard of it until less than a year ago.

Hey, same here. It's a really good show, I love Marshall.

I'm probably going to go through the X-Files next. I caught some of it during its live run, and I've seen dozens of repeats on TNT in the early morning, but I'd like to watch it in its entirety.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just finished all of Full Metal Alchemist, as well as the movie. An excellent show.

I don't really like anime all that much, but Full Metal Alchemist is one of my favorite shows ever. Some parts brought me on the verge of tears they were so depressing.

Too bad the ending/movie was pretty lovely in my opinion.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Rescue Me - again.

It gets a little soap operay in Season 3 if I remember but I can get through that.

I quit watching the show at that point. I think it was basically 'let's find who we can get Denis Leary to sleep with'.

Still going through The X-Files, beginning to end, and enjoying it. At the start of Season 4 and I just saw Home for the 4th or 5th time, it's just as disturbing as it was all the other watches. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Cancer Man's son, I really disliked what I remember of him.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

No show has survived the jump to college. I would skip season 3 as well.

I wish Rory stayed in High School forever :(

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

dk2m posted:

I finished Californication about a week ago and I loved every second of it. Absolutely hilarious show, David Duchovny is somehow perfect for the role of Hank. The thing is, I was watching X-Files on and off simultaneously and the juxtaposition was quite entertaining.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Jedi posted:

Lemme know if you get past Season 8. I've tried twice, but every time Doggett shows up I just completely lose interest.

It wasn't as good as the earlier seasons (obviously), but I'm up to mid-season 9.

I'm really disappointed Duchovny, and then Anderson, started showing up less and less. I'm still going to end up finishing the show, but it's not as great.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Vivek posted:

In a similar vein as my last question about Dexter season 3, is Weeds worth watching after Season 3? What I've read about it certain characters leaving, the setting changing doesn't sound good...

The whole show changes completely. It's pretty bad right now (Season 5), and it's more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

JustV posted:

EDIT: Someone needs to put together a TV IV masterlist of recommended shows. Where did the old "Top 50 Greatest Television Shows" thread go? Banished during the purge?

Yeah it was.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait until she meets Logan, he's a bad influence, but this is in one of the later seasons. The show goes downhill in the last season which is when the original show creators/writers leave.

I think it started going downhill with the whole Chris fiasco during Season 6, and then April showing up out of loving nowhere.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Trophy Boner posted:

Well, either way, I'm glad I still have a ways to go before it gets less than good.

Is season 7 even worth watching?

Yeah, I think it is. I guess I'm sort of biased because I love the show as a whole, just know that the quality decreases a lot. The first three, maybe four, seasons are where it's at.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

calandryll posted:

Prepare for the greatest ending in any series I have seen. If you don't cry you have no heart. :colbert:

It sort of had an emotional impact for me, but Ball somehow made pretty much every character on the show annoying as hell so it didn't do much.

VV Yeah, he was the only tolerable character left.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 5, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Icen posted:

I just started watching United States of Tara. I didn't watch it or think about watching it when it first came out, but someone said it was good and I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Its about a mother that has DID(dissociative identity disorder) or multiple personalities. So far, its been pretty funny and good, but I'm only through 4 episodes. Looked for a thread in here and didn't find one though.

There was a thread when it was airing, so it's in archives now. I think it's a great show and I'm glad it got renewed for a second season.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Pushing Daisies. Why didn't I find this show earlier. Why did they cancel this piece of art. :(

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Rapsey posted:

You may want to stop after season 2. The cast changes completely and it turns into complete poo poo (in my opinion of course).

Seconding this opinion. Some people like Season 3 & 4, but I had to stop after the first episode of the third.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Roshi posted:

I just finished Angel and the final moment was an :argh: as Angel, Illyra/fred, spike and an injured Gunn run off to fight a horde of demons just as "Executive Producer Joss Whedon" appears and I assume they all die. Still its more of a cliffhanger for a season finale, not a series finale.

Overall, I liked Angel more than Buffy, I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I have to say Wolfram Hart is big part of it. They are truly one of the best TV antagonists I've ever watched.

I haven't read them, but according to the comics they all survive that fight I think. Or a bunch of them do.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

I've never even heard of this. What's it like?

It airs in Canada, it's about a gamer and his life. It's sort of shot like it's reality. It used to be a web series (you can see it here: http://www.purepwnage.com/original_series/video/just-guys-pt2), but it jumped up to a tv show in the beginning of the year.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

tl;dr: I really, really liked Shirley Manson, G. Dillahunt, Summer Glau, and Brian Austin Green in T:SCC despite it's faults.

I probably wouldn't have checked out the show if it wasn't for the thread hyping it up. And I'm really so glad I did, watched it from the beginning and it was a great trip. Aside from the two or three episodes surrounding the mid-season break in Season 2, every single episode never disappointed. I can honestly say that it was the only show where I was shocked and very upset when it was canceled, especially with the way Season 2 ended.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

The actors I mentioned preformed beautifully... so much in fact that I considered watching Smallville because BAG is in it, and I pretty much hate Superman by default.

It's not worth watching for BAG, he's not really in much of it. (it's not really worth watching at all actually) I don't know why I still watch it :sigh:

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

Thanks for rescuing me from that. I don't know anything about it, but I saw Hawkman and Metallo and whatnot. If some semblance of the Justice League was in it, that might save it? Still not watching 126 seasons of Superman-girl-angst. I'm sorry if that's an unfair classification -- blame it on the marketers. That's all I see. :unsmith:

Yeah, it's been pretty good recently since the creators left. The Justice League plot and some other things have been better than average. But believe me it was not worth playing 8 seasons of catch-up.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

mirror123 posted:

I just plowed through all of Californication, and I thought season 3 ended a bit abruptly. I mean the last ep just came out of nowhere. Did the show get cancelled mid-season or something?

No, it's coming back for season 4. It got renewed fairly early, I don't think there was any scare of it getting canceled with some episodes having series-high ratings.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Roshi posted:

I'm almost done with season 2 of Charmed. I like it. It's different from most shows in the fantasy genre ie. not male-centric, while not being as stupid and disturbing as twilight. Plus having the three leads be 20+ with, Shannon Dorherty's character pushing 30, gives it a decent mature bent.

It may be girly, but I think its a must watch for any occult fantasy fans.

I watch a lot of girly shows and I'm into fantasy but Charmed is literally one of the worst television series of all time. (Yes I sat through it)

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mughe posted:

And I just found out that Nip/Tuck is on netflix instant (finally), so that's what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.

Why would you voluntarily do this to yourself? The first season is pretty great but after that it just turns into a parody of itself multiple times over, increasing as the series progresses, until you are the parody for watching it.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Season 1 Veronica Mars? That's some drat fine watching there. I'm ready for the Season 3 letdown, but Season 2 is fun so far.

Season 1 and 2 made it one of my favorite series. Season 3 is a let down but it's still Veronica Mars so it isn't that bad.

I just wish Logan died in the pilot instead of having his annoying character throughout the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Been rewatching Gilmore Girls, and I gotta say: gently caress Jess. How terrible would that Jess-based spin-off have been? I can't believe anybody thought that was a good idea.

I hated Jess the first time I watched, but the second time around he really grew on me. He was much better for Rory than Dean was. And a necessary addition to her life while she was growing up, in a way.