Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

pahuyuth posted:

Also if anyone wants REALLY loving GOOD Sci-Fi, check out 12 Monkeys as it is the best show that no one watches. I will fight all that disagree

We're gonna fight then :argh: because this show is alright at best.

It starts off interestingly enough, but season 2 gets spread too thin in the actual sense department, and season 3 scrambles to wrangle in all the crazy bullshit season 2 set up. Their version of time travel is all bananas, but the cameo in s3 is fun.

I'm still watching it though. Jennifer and Deacon are the best part. Also the Ramsey pun bit was great. I could be biased because time travel shows rarely do the theme well. Travelers is the best one thus far, and even that has groaning moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Needed some new to me Sci-Fi in my life and started on Van Helsing.

Interesting mechanics that are just intriguing enough to keep my attention. Characters are both rational, flawed, but believable. The show does have its tropey bullshit, but they buzz past that stuff rather quick.

Also, there aren't 25 characters that all whispertalk for no reason, and it's better than Wynona Earp so far. That show is corny-rear end schlock.

Loving Dark Matter still, need more Mr. ROBOT, Westworld, American Gods, GoT, Preacher, Legion, and Stranger Things though.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Holy gently caress Ozark is amazing.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I'm trusting you guys on this Sparticus thing. It looks pretty, though I could have done without so much EXTREME ACTION "BLOOD", but I'm gonna power through it to see if I can jump on that hype train.

I want the show to carve out a nice little place between drama and action, but im afraid it will end up being full bore Danielle Steel meets Zack Snyder on a tight budget.

I want to be wrong because I want a new show to get all up in while I wait for new seasons of my current favs.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The new Star Trek is outstanding.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

This can't be said enough. Not a single character is wasted, they are all brilliant. Every time I think I have a favourite someone else impresses the gently caress out of me. Cadet Tilly in episode 3 stole every scene she was in, she's adorably awkward.

I was really hoping for more Daft Punk robot person because :3: but you're 100% right. I love how they did the Klingons and their ships. The effects, the writing, the acting all are fantastic. I feel like a kid again watching this show.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Just picked up The Americans to hold me over in between Star Trek and I'm liking it so far. Some of the exposition is kinda :psyduck: and the characters flip flop back and forth between being in love and hating each other, but it's keeping my attention pretty well.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So I just started Seth MacFarlane's show The Orville. It's a goofy rip of Star Trek. It's basically the banter from A Million Ways to Die in the West with a dash of People of Earth but in space, and a little more serious. In it, Seth plays a starship captain who's life long dream of captaining his own ship is realized.

It feels like the shows premise is an analogy to him always wanting be in a show like Star Trek. It has funny moments, tropey sci-fi moments, and usual Seth MacFarlane humor. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like his work, and some corny sci-fi, you might like the show a bit.

Not really trying to sell it, bit I thought I just throw it out there as I had no idea it was a thing until yesterday. If it leaned harder into the dopey comedy and didn't take itself as seriously I might like it more, but I'm only one and a half episodes in.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The Orville is more Star trek than Discovery is, but I'm liking a serious Star trek series more than hokey episodic space travels. I love both shows and I'm glad they are what they are though.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

johnsonrod posted:

I'm not hating on Discovery really and I'm enjoying it for what it is but The Orville, after a few episodes at least, feels much more like the spiritual successor to TNG than discovery. The characters are almost instantly more likeable than their Discovery counterparts too.

I wasn't really even thinking about it in those terms but you're right. I love DS9 but TNG was great for it's sense of optimism overall. I really just meant it in terms of all the little jabs at Star Trek in general. Although, now that I'm a few episodes in and it seems to have found it's footing, it's nice to see they're going less for the "make fun of Star Trek" and going more for the "Star Trek: TNG homage" angle.

That's the weird thing about Discovery, most people like it, they just hate it's called Star Trek. If they swapped the names of the Orville and Discovery, I think people would go loving bonkers over both shows.

I think of Star Trek just as a sci-fi universe, whereas most trekkies view it as that and a style of show. Any deviation from the TNG format in the Star Trek universe seems to be met with disdain. "Discovery is alright, but it's not Star Trek." And "Oh, you must not be a fan of Star Trek if you like Discovery. :chord:" are the most common things I hear when discussing the two shows. That, and some weird hate for Seth MacFarlane just because Family Guy isn't cool anymore or whatever.

STAC Goat posted:

I have no investment in Star Trek one way or another but my impression is that Orville is basically nostalgia that harkens back to the old Star Trek shows while Discovery is a modern sci-fi show that people don't really seem to have complaints about but which doesn't "feel" like the shows made decades ago.

Exactly this.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I love The 100, but I loving hate Jaha.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Has anyone got in on the new season of Broadchurch? I absolutely loved the show before, just wondering if the new season holds up.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Just started the first episode of Counterpart and I'm loving it. It's a bit like Man in the High Castle meets Travellers. Great cinematography, very reminiscent of Mr. Robot in the way it's shot. Music is great, theme is great, action is tense, it's mysterious and intriguing.

Definitely check this out if you're itching for some new sci-fi.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

bowmore posted:

The Magicians is loving magic

Literally and figuratively. :v:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Do you like action sci-fi thrillers?

Do you like British accents, great cinematography, and government conspiracies?

Then you should watch Hard Sun.

Just finished episode one, and hot drat :v: is this show good. It's a little far fetched, but has an interesting premise at it's core. I'm genuinely excited to see where this one goes.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I mean, what the gently caress else are they going to do. The male half of the duo was about to go full-on prepper until he got socked in the mouth with brass knuckles. :arghfist::black101:

It's either go nutty and say gently caress everything, or just die on the inside until nothing else matters.

:smith:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Started Britannia and it's basically Game of Thrones Lite, but in a good way. They dance around magic and gods, have a bit of a Hound and Aria setup, and done on a historical backdrop based upon Celtics vs. Romans, after Caesar.

It's fun, with just a bit of gore, nudity, darkness and mysticism. It's definitely scratching a binge itch well, and I look forward to seeing new episodes rather than feeling like I just need closure.

If you are looking for a fantasy/historical drama to binge at the moment, give this a shot.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Man in the High Castle just got a season 3 release date! (According to my Twee account anyways) 6/1/2018 :dance:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How did you like season 2? I thought season 1 was pretty good, although I'm still not sure what was going on. Was Hitler the man in the High Castle?, What exactly was the point of those films, where did they come from? I do most of my TV watching as I'm drifting off to sleep so I could just be an idiot. At some point I will give season 2 a watch, I just wanted a break from it.

I thought it was great! The films we're from a dimension like ours where we won the war, and they were being used as propaganda to fight against the Nazis. Abendsen, (guy who played Milton in Office Space) is the man in the high castle. In the book, he is an author with a banned book. Here, he is some sort of keeper of knowledge from another dimension.

This is an incredibly well written show, and the way they compare and contrast both our actual history, and the fictional one they've created, is amazing. The similarities are really scary. America was already super hosed up back then, and seeing it having been Nazified would make me even more terrified to live in a German controlled America. It seems almost too accurate.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

It's not bad at first, the whole thing seems to unravel the longer the show goes on. Characters make ridiculous decisions and the plot becomes pretty absurd. The first two seasons are fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Here's my lovely, phone-post hot-takes on good shows to watch.

Been watching Trust, Legion, Siren, The Crossing, Krypton and The Terror.

Trust: Grandson of the wealthiest man on the planet in the early 70's is kidnapped and held for ransom, also based on actual events. Fun soundtrack that gets bonus points for the use of Prisencolinensinainciusol a song that's supposed to sound like English with an American accent to Italians, but is actually just total nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

The series is fun, dark, and tense. Plus Donald Sutherland plays a man so wealthy, that he has a man dedicated to reading him vintage erotica novella so he can get boners before sexing up one of his wives. plus Brendan Frasier and Hilary Swank are in it.

Siren: Mermaids are real, and also deadly. An interesting way of doing the myth. It's a little corny, but it's not what I expected. Plus Ryn is really well done character reminiscent of Leloo Dallas.

The Crossing: 47 people wash up on shore saying they are from the future. This one reminds me of Colony and The 100. Conflict between Homeland security and local police gets resolved quickly. A lot of characters, but good actors. Still waiting on how Sci-fi this one gets. Starting Steve Zahn, Natalie Martinez, and Sandrine Holt.

Krypton: Story about the planet, it's people, and culture before it's demise. It's about Superman's grandfather, and his grandfather. It has a Dark Matter/Killjoys kind of feel to it. I don't know anything more than the average person about Superman's before he came to earth, but it seems like a well done interpretation. It's not as goofy and teeny bopperish as I thought it was going to be. I was assuming it was going to be all young adult teens in a Harry Potter esque, light hearted, PG "drama". What I got was a decent SYFY show about a franchise I wasn't too familiar with. I think it's cool and good, but fans might hate it vehemently. :shrug:

The Terror: Explorers looking for the Northwest Passage instead find a monster. I guess. I have only seen one episode of this, but it's dark, and has this underlying hopelessness about it.

Oh also Legion, but I figure most people are already up on this one.