Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For Star Trek you might just want to pick up one of the Fan Collectives which have a smattering of episodes from each series tied together by a common theme.

Captain's Log is, without a doubt, the best of these, containing:

The Original Series:
The City on the Edge of Forever
The Enterprise Incident
Balance of Terror

The Next Generation:
In Theory
Chain of Command
Darmok

Deep Space Nine:
Far Beyond the Stars
What You Leave Behind
In the Pale Moonlight

Voyager:
Counterpoint
The Omega Directive
Flashback

Enterprise:
Judgment
These Are the Voyages (WHO PUT THIS ON THE loving SET?)
First Flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I just burned through The Middleman for the first time since it was cancelled a few years ago. The dialogue in the first few episodes feels forced, but its still a great show and holds up well.

Kilometers Davis posted:

When does The Office (U.S.) get bad and when does it recover?

It dips in season 4 and becomes unwatchable in season 5. There are a lot of great moments in season 6, but it never really recovers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

kaworu posted:

Honestly, I watched the first season of The Walking Dead on the strength of how awesome the pilot was, and slowly got more and more disappointed and less and less interested. I was excited for the second season, in the hope that it would pick up, and just lost interest after like 3 episodes. It's not that it was SO awful, it was just really flat and lame and uninteresting.

I would be a lot more interested in the show if the characters had a motivation or end game besides not getting eaten. Its hard to get emotionally invested in a twenty hour snuff film.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

Knee deep into season 4, I would say that Breaking Bad really comes into its own in season 3. 1-2 are still pretty good though.

The show really does get better once they move away from the concept of Walt solving crime problems through the magic of chemistry and made it more about Walt being a hugely hosed up person. Mad Men went through a similar transformation when it become less about the plot and setting (Don's past, the 60s, etc) and more about the characters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

What started out interesting and tense has gone completely off the rails. I had heard that things got bad but I wasn't prepared for how thinly they stretch their premise. I can only guess that everyone who was competent on the writing staff jumped over to Lost at this point (and they'd jump ship from Lost after a couple of seasons in the same way...).

The rumors at the time were that the network made the producers dumb the show down after the first season. I don't know if there's any validity to that or if fans are just wanking themselves off, so take it with a grain of salt.