Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
When Dutch killed the cat in The Shield it marked the first sign of a series of minor failures on the part of the writers that, while I watched the entire series, left me wondering why people held it in such high esteem. I can't find any argument that seems logical that defneds his actions, a professional trained to deal with the type of guy he was in that episode, years and years of experience and a strong desire to catch them and put them away...

... swayed to not only break the law, kill a helpless animal just for the sake of killing, something he could technically lose his entire career for, get himself put on a list of potential serial killers... etc was blatantly [i]screaming that the writers were grasping at straws for whatever they could find to be 'edgy' and 'deep'.

I lose interest whenever writers break the cardinal rule... making characters do things they wouldn't just to serve the writers whims. This is also the reason I found [spoiler]the end to the series to be incredibly disappointing and fabricated/spoiler]

But, that is just my opinion, nothing more.

Also... Sons of Anarchy

Whatever you feel about anything else that happens in the series, watch it through to the end. I honestly believe the scene at the end of S3 is one of the best I've seen in a long long time, maybe one of the best acted and conducted ever. You know what scene I'm talking about. 'Put your hands on the...'

Nothing, however, matches Deadwood. I've watched Deadwood and The Wire episode by episode almost three times now, and they just get better and better. Deadwood is required viewing and if you haven't seen it then drop what you are doing. It's probably the closest thing we have to Shakespeare .

And no other series about Roman history will ever come close to Rome.

But now I need something new... any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Big Bang Theory becomes awesome when you add the G Effect: I watch every episode with the understanding that Sheldon is a loving insane serial killer sociopath that has a suit made out of human skin in his closet. Try it, you'll see.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
I like Whites. Have you seen Whites? If you liked Kitchen Confidential you will like Whites.

Honestly, though. Whites.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
If you like Kitchen Confidential then you really need to give the series Whites the time it deserves. Why am I so annoying about Whites at the present moment? Because A) I am an rear end in a top hat and B) although you will never get a second season of Kitchen Confidential, if enough people get a cult following over Whites then maybe, just maybe a show with an awesome cast that is witty, British humour and genuinely funny might have a chance at a second season.

The last I heard, episode 6 of Whites was the series finale. Make me wrong!

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Powered through both seasons of Eastbound and Down.

Watch

This

loving

Show

Now.

Drop everything you are doing and watch this show. No, you don't even have time to wipe your rear end. Leave your pants around your ankles and fling yourself at wherever you can get it. Every loving episode of Eastbound and Down is golden.

If you like anything about the Will Ferrel/sports idiot/car-crash embarrassing genre of comedy, this show stars Danny McBride as Kenny 'loving' Powers, a washed up ex major league pitcher, and his path trying to earn his way back into the league.

Also, it is HBO. Funniest thing I've seen on television in years.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Almost everyone I know who becomes rabidly in love with the Wire starts out feeling next to nothing for it, then drops it after a bit because there's just nothing there. A little bit of time passes, they give it a chance again, and something just 'clicks' and it blows their minds. It really is that good, and when it clicks for you, you'll realize why people watch the entire series two or three times... the first time through is just a cursory glance; by the second or third you realize everything is placed together like a masterwork puzzle, single lines have repercussions seasons later, characters walking through a background scene become the central figure of the show years later.

But don't sweat it if you give up on it your first try- most people do. When you go back it all comes together.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
The second time you watch The Wire is the first time. The first time is just the teaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Better Off Ted is really worth it.