Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Netflix is a godsend for these types of things. Finally decided to get into the new Doctor Who - almost done with Season Three. Decided to watch it after seeing the first season of Torchwood. I had no idea the series were related until a friend told me I'd watched it out of order and felt foolish.

After I finish the last disc of Doctor Who 3 I'll be getting into Deadwood. It seems that watching TV on DVD is the only way to do it. Commercial breaks seem irritating now, as do the mid-season breaks. Now I can just jam through it in a couple of sittings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Bunnita posted:

I hope you don't mine me asking but what do you think of Torchwood compared to Doctor Who? I know what everyone in the Dr Who thread thinks but I'd like to see what you think having seen Torchwood first.

For me I just discovered that Netflix has old Dr Who episodes so I may finally break down and join. I watched the first season of Dexter and the first new season of Who both in two nights total, it was great.

I found Torchwood to be simply wonderful and was looking for something similar to it, hence why I watched that "other show" - Doctor Who. I really didn't know they were related and appreciated Torchwood more when I got to see where it all came from.

For the show itself - the actors really work well together and the relationships they form really add to the show. I know a lot of people in the Doctor Who forum complain because of the gratuitous sex - but I really think that in the context of the Owen/Gwen relationship it adds to it because of how difficult it is to be in their shoes. I haven't seen much of the Jack/Ianto stuff because I've only seen Season One thus far, however the writing and characterization of it all really matches up to what I saw for the brief episodes of Jack's appearance in Doctor Who.

Sad thing is with Doctor Who I'm starting to get bored. Martha is a horrible companion and I cannot wait for her to leave so we can see Bitchy!Donna return.

I'm an oddity.