Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
My little brother (who is 19) sat me down to watch the first few episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender a few days ago. I watched just to humor him (he swore it was a fantastic show), but I got sucked in on frame one. What a fantastic show. The animation is above and beyond the standard these days, and it isn't afraid to tell a story. The characters are genuinely interesting and even though it sometimes relies on kid-humor, I can easily look past that because everything else about it is so well done.

3 days later and I'm in the middle of season 2. This only lasted 3 seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Nate RFB posted:

It was planned from the get-go to last three seasons, one for each element Aang had to learn.

Ah, that makes sense. In a way I'm glad, since it shows they had a plan from the beginning. That's probably a big part of why the show is as good as it is. As I said, I'm only about half-way into season 2 currently. One thing I did appreciate is just how well they introduced a completely new character (Toph) and actually made her likable. So many shows fail miserably with that.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Jarl posted:

My little sister (age 14) did the same to me back during the Christmas vacation.

I really was not expecting to like it at all. My brother is an anime fan, and I just don't understand the appeal. So I figured Avatar was going to basically be a western take on the genre. While it is, in a sense...it's a lot more than that. The storytelling is leaps and bounds above anything I've ever seen an anime pull off and the premise is actually interesting. The world is thought out and its bounds are clearly defined. It's obvious a lot of thought went into the show and the attention to minor details is commendable. With a "kids" show, you don't have to pay attention to details...but the creators did it anyway.

It seems to me that the art style and a lot of the thematic material is clearly anime (well, eastern anyway) inspired, but the writing itself is western, at least in execution, and I think that makes the show something really special.