Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kekekela posted:

After seeing the Jericho love in this thread, I was going to add it to my Netflix queue and realized I had given it a 2 star rating. I vaguely remember watching the first couple of episodes and not being very impressed, does it hit its stride later or is this a case where if you don't like the first couple of episodes you're probably just not going to enjoy the series?

I watched it and hated it. It's like science fiction for religious nuts who hate science. Carnivale for retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Almost done season 5 of the Sopranos. Great show, feels like it's losing its lustre by now though.

How is the Twilight Zone? Does it get better or worse with certain seasons?

The Twilight Zone in its original Rod Serling run is possibly the greatest television program in history. The 1980s revival has a lot more familiar names writing it (Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Harlan Ellison) but no Rod Serling, so it falls slightly short of the original run. The 2000s revival is really awful but a good way to see famous actors (Jim Carrey, Jessica Simpson, Christian Bale, Frankie Muniz, Wayne Knight, Christopher Titus, Eriq La Salle, Jason Bateman, James Remar, Method Man) in short television serials. Watch the first two runs, don't bother with the 2000s run.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 12, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Annakie posted:

I know what you mean. I've spent every possible hour since Sunday morning watching Doctor Who. I'm on Episode 12 of season 4 now.

The quality disconnect between the first 4 seasons and season 5 is so huge it's unbelievable. It's like the difference between CSI and The Wire.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The only thing of note in the 2000 series is that there is a sequel to Its a good life staring the original cast. That is it.

Yeah, the 2000 series does deserve a little credibility for being a genuine continuation of the series and not a lovely cash in. There was a lot of love in those seasons.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Carbon Thief posted:

A friend just forced me to borrow 3 seasons of 'The Big Bang Theory'. Is it worth my time to watch it? Keep in mind the last sitcom I liked was 'NewsRadio'.

The Big Bang Theory is a sitcom for nerds who like anything that references their own stupid nerdy lifestyles. It's really, really bad.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

To be fair....

*Kramer bursts into room*
*studio audience laughs for 20 seconds of air time*

A crowd laughing because they didn't understand what a character just said because it was pointlessly elaborate jargon is not the same as a crowd laughing at physical comedy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Fringe only gets better from this point. I liken it to a somewhat "fluffier" X-files; there's routinely more humour and the science is even more tenuous and fantasised, but the arc plot makes a hell of a lot more sense and has far less of a "made it up as they went along" quality.

I don't know if there's more humor, the X-Files was pretty funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think I'm the only person on the planet for whom The Wire didn't do anything AT ALL. I had to force myself to sit through the first few episodes and then I just sort of threw up my hands and said "welp" and ejected the DVD forever :(

I tried as hard as I could to enjoy it, and stayed with it for the whole first season, but when I started the second season I just couldn't care. I was utterly bored by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Just finished American Horror Story. I can see how it would fall apart under an episode-a-week level of scrutiny, but taken in all at once it's a batshit crazy thrill ride of horror and really good acting, and it's a self contained story if you prefer watching shows that are already over.