Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Quarantine has given me lots of rewatch time so in my quest to rewatch shows that I really liked up until the writers totally forgot how to wrap up a show in the last ten episodes I recently finished a rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This time around I actually didn't mind the God Did It handwaving because it kinda makes sense if you go in knowing that the Cylons (or at least, the Sixes) are actually right the whole way through. The last five minutes are still an atrocity committed to film, though.

Man, I was so into Battlestar Galactica during it's first season or two, and I really liked it's characters and space-navy aesthetic. I missed a bit of seasons 3 and 4, and was disappointed by the ending. Is there, say, a good stopping point somewhere in the series? Or is there another good show or movie that's similar? Stargate Universe was similar. The first season was kind of bad, but it started to get really good just before it got canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I still enjoyed it all the way through, but if you really don't like the ending, stop when they find "Earth" the first time. It's SUCH a downer ending, but it's a more fitting one for BSG's tone.

While that was a good episode, it's probably too much of a downer ending for me. Honestly, I think the last episode would have been fine if they just ended it when they came into sight of the real Earth. Some ambiguity is fine, and you can imagine whatever you want from there. For some reason, everything that happened once they were on Earth didn't leave a good impression with me. I'd prefer an ending that doesn't try to be so final. The show had the dual-problem that: 1) they didn't plan it out well enough when setting up their various mysteries and 2) they tried to wrap up too much at the end.

Since this put me in the mood for for scifi, I started watching the older Battlestar Galactica (1978). It's pretty cheesy and 70s-ish, but I'm enjoying it. I'd seen it once before, but don't remember much.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

Oh wow I'd forgotten all about Cadfael, that takes me back.

Has Father Brown been mentioned? A more recent series set in the 50s in Britain.

Father Brown is a wonderful show. I find it very wholesome and it puts me a good mood. The series isn't on Netflix anymore, but it's all up on Britbox (which also gives me an excuse to watch stuff like Black Adder and QI).

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Superstore is the warm blanket of sitcoms, its just nice and cosy and really makes a lovely day slightly better.

I enjoyed it well enough for the first two seasons, but I thought that season 3 took a big nose-dive All of the characters turned very 1-dimensional in season 3, becoming more mean-spirited and focusing on how *wacky* they are. Did anyone else feel this way? I bailed before the end of season 3.

I actually liked some of the stuff they focused on in season 1, particularly between the two lead characters. A show about different people stuck working at a lousy big box store, unable to pursue the life they really want but finding moments of joy in the tedium, has potential for good story-telling.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

wormil posted:

Not just you, the more it became the America Ferrera show the worse it got. It's not that she's a bad character or bad actress, but her influence as a producer made the show too much about Amy to the detriment of the other characters and their dynamic. There was the failed and abandoned attempt make a statement about immigration. People going all out to help Mateo who is the most obnoxious and unlikable character on the show. It just didn't work. Also not nearly enough Bo Derek.

I really didn't mind stuff with Amy or Mateo. I think most of the characters became 1-dimension, and the show was often mean.

Take Sandra for example. She starts out as a soft-spoken character who has no confidence in herself, but she's portrayed in a somewhat realistic way. I feel like she could be a real person. The natural character arc is for her to find her voice and confidence. Connecting with Jerry and marrying him is a good step in that direction. But in later seasons she becomes "the character who loudly says sexual fantasies at inappropriate times" and Jerry's story line ends in a really mean way. At that point, I no longer thought Sandra seemed like a real person. She seems like a vessel for weird jokes so the rest of the characters can look briefly uncomfortable.

I'm just using Sandra as an example. I felt a lot of characters regressed to a simple, often-annoying stereotype.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

In a situation like this, do you think a show would ever just release the final season's scripts, either online or bound into a book? Most people probably wouldn't be interested, but it would probably be fun for some fans. Are scripts no fun to read, or are are mid-seasons revisions common enough that writers' wouldn't want to release an early draft?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I really enjoyed what I saw of Downton Abbey, and even liked the movie. Season 2 isn't as good as season 1, but the later episodes I watched were fun to follow with friends. Some people might call it schmaltz, but maybe I like period-piece schmaltz.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Westworld felt like it had one story in mind, then told it well during the show's first season. It raises interesting questions and explores them. Honestly, season one felt like a complete, fully-told story. Same with Stranger Things. Some shows don't need to keep going forever. For both shows, I watched about three episodes of season two, realized that I was already completely satisfied with the show, and stopped watching.

In other cases (Lost, Battlestar Galactica), it's clear that the creators want to make a multi-season show but didn't plan out much past the premise. I liked both of those shows, but really wished the writers had been able to stick the landings better.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That rating graph website is neat. The Game of Thrones curve seems less than ideal: https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/game-of-thrones-ratings-26649/

That said, I wish there was a way of filtering the ratings, perhaps only showing ratings from people who have made a lot of ratings. When you have far more people rating the final season, that's got to skew results somehow.

Edit: For instance, I really don't think that the episode "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" (which I liked) is worse than every episode from prior seasons.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Regarding Game of Thrones, are there any TV shows with a strong ongoing plot that people were still super into after it ended? It seems like none of the big ones (Game of Thrones, Lost, Battlestar Galactica) can stick the landing, and I'm wondering if it's simply difficult to make a long ongoing plot satisfying after people have had years to speculate about it. Or maybe people lose interest simply because it's over?

I guess people liked the ending of stuff like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but how about sci-fi/fantasy? X-Files had a long decline into being bad. Did people like the ending of, for example, Deep Space Nine (I haven't gotten there yet, though, so no spoilers)? What about the Stargate shows? I'm mostly just curious.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, SG-1 was supposedly canceled at the end of season 7 so they wrapped it all up before getting three more seasons. That meant having to come up with whole new enemies and plotlines to drive the show. When it was cancelled for real they got two movies to wrap everything up.

Atlantis they hoped to make more of when they got cancelled, but they reached a reasonable stopping point so more seasons would have been sensible but not necessary.

Universe got cancelled at a cliffhanger so never got any satisfying resolution.

None of them was really a show about an overarching arc like BSG, GoT, or so on, so sticking the landing wasn't very important. Even if Universe was so "BSG, but in Stargate!" that it hurts.

The only Stargate I watched much of was Universe, and that cancellation was pretty disappointing. The first season was pretty dull, but by the end of season two the show had really started to get compelling and I was excited to see where it went. And then: cancelled. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I thought Superstore was great. And it stays strong throughout the entire run. If anything....I'd say that the writing gets stronger as it goes.

You think so? I thought it got kind of bad after season 2 and I didn't make it to the end of season 3. The characters seemed to get less realistic and more outlandish, which I didn't like. Does it get better again?