Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just burned through The United States of Tara in about four days. I was skeptical at first. The premise is tough and its a Showtime show I was prepared for crap. But drat, its awesome. I mean, its a Showtime show and stuff gets a little over the top but since that all really amounts to the one character's issues it actually kind of works. Its not the whole world that's going crazy like in other Showtime shows, its just the one character who IS "crazy" (sorry if that offends someone, I don't mean it as an insult). And it ending at three seasons is probably perfect for a Showtime show. Sure, there's stuff I could have liked to see but odds are it would have gone to absolute poo poo so its better off.

Anyway, Toni Collete is great but its not playing multiple characters that really makes her awesome. She's good at that and the transitioning, but in a lot of ways commending an actor for being good at playing multiple characters feels like a backhanded compliment to me seeing as how that's every actor's job. But what she's really great at is playing the role of Tara and all the guilt, shame, anger, desperation, and hope that is in that character. I swear, I welled up two or three dozen times and it almost always came after one of Tara's alters hurts someone she loves and Tara is so hurt by it. The rest of the family is good too, especially the kids. I plan to seek out some work from Brie Larson and Keir Gilchrist just to see how they do with other material. The conflict between loving their mother and the hurt she causes them unwillingly is done really great.

And unlike other Showtime shows like Weeds or Dexter the bad stuff Tara does really isn't her fault. Which is really a compelling play to have the main character be both the sympathetic protagonist and the antagonist(s) who make her life miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I would check out Constantine as well but it's not on streaming, as far as I can tell.

Actually Constantine is available for free on the CW Seed app. I think that's available to anyone.

I just finished a rewatch of Spartacus and it held up great. Gonna binge Westworld and then maybe watch Rome to see if I can get any of that Spartacus feeling, but from the other side. But I need the buffer to get past my deep hatred of Roman scum.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That messed with me. I don't know much about Roman history but even the show made a point of having Crassus and Ceaser constantly call him a brat kid. Then some middle aged dude shows up dressed like Roman Liberace. It was off putting.

But I was too busy crying about the death of everyone I liked at that point to really care.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Magicians is really, really bad but there's something about the pretty people and the snark and the end season "gently caress it" that makes it sort of work. I probably wouldn't come back for another season of them being shallow assholes in school but the way they took it at the end gives me enough reason to tune back in and see what hosed up poo poo they do in S2.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been watching Penny Dreadful. I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm about a third of the way into season three at the moment.

It's not bad, but my impression of it is that it's a lot like (and this may be an odd comparison) the third season of Millennium, in the sense that the plot feels like it could have ended at the end of season two, but they kept it going another year anyway. (I'm aware that it was probably meant to continue with a fourth season but was cancelled because it wasn't getting the numbers its channel wanted.)

There's some truth to that, but S3 tries to tie stuff up and take care of any dangling questions and threads. It doesn't all hit perfectly and its probably polarizing but I think it was a worthwhile try.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I couldn't make it through a few episodes because I hated Forte's character so much. I keep meaning to give it a try but I just can't see myself enjoying a sitcom where the central character is so purposely bad. I get the premise of the rear end in a top hat who thinks he's the last man on Earth and then gets more and more unbearable as he finds more people and becomes less and less special. But it doesn't sound fun to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The moment I tapped out was when the reaction to finally seeing another living human being was "shes not attractive enough, oh there's a hot one."

Just douche chills.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember when Pretty Little Liars was getting some hype and it caught my attention, but it seemed to pretty clearly be a teenage/adolescent soap opera.

I got into binging Lemony Snickett today and I'm to the last book/part/chapter/whatever. It picks up a bit for sure and I'm enjoying it well enough, but I still don't love it. But I suspect some of that is my unfamiliarity with the books so its not hitting any kind of nostalgia thing for me. I'm just an adult watching a kids thing that I have no connection to, so I'm not that surprised I'm not blown away. I'm pretty much there for Neil Patrick Harris.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still enjoy it but there's no doubting that Always Sunny has since its first season been on a nonstop move towards more and more cartoony until the point where I assume they'll just be puppets.

They haven't done puppets yet, right? I was going to go with "animated" but then I remembered they've gone there already.

Mind you, this isn't a criticism. The fact they have ANY jokes after 12 years is kind of remarkable. I think they've weathered this better than a lot of other once great long running comedies like Scrubs or Roseanne.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Season 2, episode 11 of the sopranos...tell me it gets better?

No.

I mean, I very much like the Sopranos and think it changed TV, but its a moody character study. There will be periods of excitement as poo poo hits the fan or deep rooted issues come to a head, but for the most part its a show about the psychology and mental state of a man so most of it is all about him and how he's feeling. The Wire is a very different show and a better comparison would be Mad Men. There will be things that happen and people that come and go but at its core its a show about one troubled guy and you're basically watching to get into his head.

If you're 2 seasons in and don't like it its not going to suddenly change. You're already watching the stuff that made it beloved and changed TV forever. So if you don't like its just not for you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I binged through the Expanse last week and it was ok. Its rare for me to say this but I actually thought it was probably two short. It felt like they spent a lot of time in the first and second act and then right as the third act stuff was getting underway and the full picture was coming into view the season seemed to end suddenly. Its like the show runners thought that point of the season was what happened to the missing girl/ship when I felt that was really more of a bridge into the real plot of what's on that ship and how this is all playing out.

It gives me a reason to tune into S2, I guess, but it left me really cold on S1. Which I guess is why it took days before I even mentioned watching it and I only did because I saw someone else talk about it.

But, I mean, it looked good and was well done which I guess is what a lot of Sci-Fi fans were responding too because a lot of Sci-Fi is crap. So I'd argue that its basically the fact that it was done well that means I'm not judging it on some handicap "SyFy" standard like most of their shows and instead of just judging the plotting and narrative work.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't hate the main crew but they weren't especially compelling and the main guy's backstory was a little too weird for me to really get anything from it. Although I'm a little invested in whether or not that one girl is OPA or whatever. And its probably a bad thing that I can't remember any of their names less than a week later.

Yeah, Jane's character was more compelling and interesting as he had a much deeper story and motivation. Which is part of the reason I felt like the season ended abruptly since by the time he joins the rest of the cast and the multiple stories start to connect the season ends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just plain didn't like Dollhouse. Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman were both really good but the premise of the show never seemed much more than an interesting idea that Whedon didn't really know what to do with. Maybe it would have been different if he had made it 10 years later when shorter, more experimental TV was such a norm for cable channels. But it just didn't work how it did play out.

Just binged Dark Matter and I enjoyed it. Its a pretty pulpy sci-fi spaceship show if you're into that but what I think its kind of unique about it is that walks a line between "____ of the week" and meta plot that I haven't really noticed in another show. Its basically driven primarily by the "meta plot" but it doesn't drag stuff out. If the crew wants to know about X they usually seek it out and address it within 1 or 2 episodes and that just gives way to them having to focus on Y. Its odd because there's no real season arcs or traditional narrative construction to it but the show keeps moving and things change up pretty dramatically on a regular basis. Its not great TV or anything but its character driven and it never slows down enough to get boring (except maybe right at the start of S2 where they introduce like 3-4 new characters all at once).

Gravy Jones posted:

Just finished it and totally get where you're coming from with this. Absolutely felt like it ended right at the beginning of the third act, which is only ever going to feel abrupt and unsatisfying... which makes me glad I watched it this week instead of when it aired.

Despite some issues, I still enjoyed it a lot and it far exceeded my expectations. If nothing else railgun through the head, and most of that episode actually, evoked something close to BSG levels of "holy poo poo!" for the first time in a while. It also made me miss BSG and go back and watch Exodus Part 2.

Yeah, I don't think it was bad or anything. It just had some serious plotting/pacing issues. But like you I only watched it in the last couple of weeks right before S2 started, so that worked out.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 3, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I binged Incorporated and I mostly enjoyed it. A good job building a world and compelling rationalizations for desperate people to do immoral things. It never really falls under the weight of its amoral protagonist I think because not only do they present those rationalizations but they do a good job showing the other side of it, the people he hurts, and the anger and guilt that creates. I enjoyed it. I have my concerns about extending the story but there are still some questions I have or things I'd like to see so I'm on board.

I'm trying to get away from the sci-fi since I seem to have been watching that exclusively lately and its really not my favorite. I've been trying to get into Black Sails but its just not hooking me. I've started and stopped 3 times now and am only 4 episodes or so through. Is it a "gets better as time goes on" kind of show or just not for me?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shameless and Black Mirror are both shows that I really, really want to watch but I never feel like I'm in the right frame of mind knowing what I know about them.

In Shameless' case I saw the first couple of seasons so I KNOW its devastating. But with Black Mirror I'm just going off of the impression I've gotten from the web.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think I need to just go a season at a time with them, but I'm bad about that. I tend not to ever get back to a show I don't finish.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On my Android I've got a Yahoo Streaming App that I can use to check if something's on any of my streaming apps. Then it links me directly to the app so I don't even have to back out and open it myself. Its not perfect but its pretty good.

On my old iPad I used "Can I Stream It" for the same purpose but it wasn't as solid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It had poo poo ratings and was cancelled for the usual reason. It was actually notable in that it was cancelled after the first season but the passionate fanbase went on a huge push demanding its return including sending bags of peanuts to tv execs. So they brought it back for a second season that was kind of iffy but gave some closure.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 22, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was a big fan. I mean, not "send bags of peanuts to people" fan but a regular viewer who was really excited it got resurrected for a S2.

I don't know that I think it was "great". Some of the "crisis of the week" episodes are a little fillery and S1 could probably have been condensed a bit, and the second season is a little up and down. But it was a fun and interesting ride with a really different kind of story. Definitely something I'd encourage people to check out if its something they think would interest them.

And it introduced me to Lennie James.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought the story started coming together when Jane joined up with the crew

Yeah, but the problem is that happens so late in the season and then the season ends right as they're actually coming together. It was really poorly paced in that regard and left me very cold after mostly enjoying the season.

I've been sitting on S2 even though I binged S1 right before the current season started. But that pacing issue convinced me that it was best to just wait and binge it since S1 definitely wouldn't have held my interest week-to-week.

But as Gravy Jones said I think there's an audience that really was itching for a good space opera and Expanse fits the bill.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 28, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gravy Jones posted:

I hope there is more Jared Harris in S2. Pretty much every scene he was in was a highlight for me.
I was apparently so un-engaged with the characters that I can't for the life of me remember him in S1.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thwomp posted:

I've made the comparison before but The Expanse is playing out a bit like Game of Thrones in that there's this huge narrative universe to explore and they drop you into the middle of it. There's very little in the way of bringing you up to speed and the show expects you to just roll with it for a while as it lays out the foundations. However, upon returning to the beginning after finishing Season 1 or (i expect) finishing later seasons, it's all much clearer and you pick up a lot more since you're now familiar with all the factions/players.

I don't disagree and the big world is what I mostly like about it (as I have no special like or dislike of the sci-fi aspects of it).

But I think Game of Thrones does a good job telling a complete stories with narrative peaks and conclusions, within that world. And I didn't feel like The Expanse S1 pulled that off.

Part of that is certainly that I didn't give a gently caress about that missing girl so your mileage may vary based on that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I'm torn. On one hand I feel like its not fair for me to judge until I've seen S2, but on the hand I think it should go without saying that the entire point of "seasons" is that they should be some kind of complete and stand alone piece and S1 failed in that.

I mean, "its only 75% of the book" would seem like a damning criticism of the show except I guess that all depends on if the book is paced well or if it would have been better off split. I just know I ended S1 frustrated and feeling unfinished. And not in the "there's a bigger world and story" way that a show like Game of Thrones has but in the "Are we missing a couple of episodes? Is the season really over?" sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you aren't loving it by now season 2 won't change anything

ll I don't love it and I don't hate it. But I'll probably watch S2 eventually just to see a little more of the world building. Unless I have to delete it off my DVR to make room (sorry, Taboo).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The hurdle you might have with The Wire is that Season 2 is kind of a dramatically different setting and character shift. Its still great and has all the depth and reality you loved in S1. But its about poor white dudes instead of poor black dudes. A lot of people have a tough time adjusting to that shift.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I grew up in the projects next to the piers. So I had a unique familiarity with both worlds.

But even still, the dramatic shift took a little time to adjust to. I don't think its so much about WHO the characters are but rather that they're brand new ones in a brand new setting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's a good comparison, I think. Its like reading a great novel about cops pursuing drug dealers from the projects that goes deep into the problems and motivations of both sides and treats the criminals as equals to the cops. Then you read the second book of the series and its the same cops but now they're pursuing a bunch of pier guys. And part of you is saying "Wait, where's the project guys? I still care about them. Who are these guys? I wasn't reading a book about cops, I was reading a book about both sides."

And honestly, even though I love Season 2 in the big picture it really is way more disconnected from the overall series than any other season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Fourth Season is the absolute best. First and Second are fairly interchangeable to me. Both great stories that stand alone very well. Third sits behind just because its really heavily tied to the seasons before and after so doesn't stand alone as well. And we all know the Fifth is the worst and has some well agreed upon flaws, but is still very good TV and a nice tie up.

I started a rewatch awhile back and got distracted during Season 3 and never got back to it. You've now reminded me I should pick it back up so I can see Season 4 again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to S2 yet but I assume if you just picked right up with S2E1 after S1 then it wouldn't have felt like such a weird place to stop the story. Especially with what everyone's been saying about how they adapted the book across seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Preacher is definitely slow but it paid off for me in the end. I'm planning to do a rewatch soon so I'm curious to see how it plays a second time through (I hadn't read the comics so I was largely watching blind).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wallet posted:

I've been waiting for them to finish it. I enjoyed the first season, but I have a feeling that I would have lost interest halfway through if I had watched it while it was airing.

Yeah, I'm saving it on my DVR and I'll burn through it some weekend in the spring/summer after all the other shows I watch weekly end. Its not a show I can follow week to week and keep my interest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm fine with a slow moving plot. But that's best to watch at your own pacing where you can take a break when you feel satisfied and keep going when you feel unresolved.

My worry with the Expanse is since there seems to be a consensus that S1's story resolves somewhere around Ep 5 of S2 that S2 might end in a similar place and resolve sometime during S3. That kind of makes me consider abandoning the show entirely and just waiting for it to finish and watch all at once so I don't have to worry about any weird pacing choices like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno how to answer that. Like without knowing exactly what you categorize as "interesting" that they "stumbled into" and exactly what you considered "disappointing" and "unwatchable" its hard to say how it goes. Because I feel like anything on Magicians could go either way.

Magicians isn't a good show. Its plot and writing and characters are loving stupid and unlikable and that never changes and probably never will. They actually embrace it way more in Season 2, if anything. If I were to recommend Season 2 I'd say they kind of just go all in and do a whacked out season about hosed up Narnia and all kinds of other weird, nonsense, often uncomfortable poo poo. But I could just as easily tell you that it stays the same poo poo show it was in S1 and you're never going to get a satisfying ending.

I watch it purely as a "turn my brain off" guilty pleasure. Week to week it manages to hold my interest, but I think both season finales have been massively underwhelming wet farts because that's where the nonsense story and characters really (try to) come together and stop being distracted by stupid poo poo. And that's not something this show does well at all.

At its best Magicians is basically True Blood's "glory days." But without the celebrity nudity and overly graphic sex scenes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have an extreme Love/Hate thing with Last Man on Earth. I binging and enjoying the second season for the most part but I recently had to just stop watching it because I couldn't sit through even 5 minutes of the show.

I just started The Path and its interesting. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it and its a little derivative of a lot of the similar "insular communities/cults who think the world is hosed" shows like Sons of Anarchy, Outsiders, or Big Love. But it has me a little curious and uncertain about who is a total fraud and who isn't and it does do an interesting job of balancing the good and the bad of extreme religion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Santa Clarita Diet was fun and a really easy watch but I felt really unsatisfied by the way it ended. It felt like it forgot to film its season finale.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing that kind of keeps me interested is that they play it kind of ambiguous with how much these people are conmen and how much they're just broken. Like, I'm not finished with S2 yet but there's still no indication of whether the founders are conmen or not. All the focus is on the people raised in the cult or "saved" by it who understandably are confused. And yeah, "faithful" or not its clear that many in the cult have done hosed up, evil poo poo and the cult has covered it up and even used it to their benefit. So poo poo's darker than it seems on the surface.

I mean, I don't really like it that much but its kept me engaged that I'll finish it off this weekend.

I hope they never follow through and make any part of "Meyerism" real or proven. Like, for now I'm fine with the way they play it ambiguously where maybe something magical just happened or maybe its just because the person was hadn't eaten for days, was left alone in the dark all night, and has taken a lot of psychedelic drugs in the past.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm totally gonna do it and even looking up how many episodes it was yesterday to see when I can start.

I binged 4 seasons of Shameless before it crushed my soul. I can handle 1 season. Or I'll come in here and cry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's like 1/3rd real historical pirates, 1/3rd made up original pirates, and 1/3rd Treasure Island pirates.

That last part is always funny to me for some reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really know a lot about pirate history, but I did some passing reading up after I watched Black Sails. My takeaway was that they did their best to make some historical stuff fit into their hodge podge story but it could only go so far given how much was fictionalized. But like Calico Jack and Anne Bonney seem kind of appropriately true-ish to their history and Nassau is loosely based on reality, but it ain't "historically accurate" by any measure (again, based off like one night of Wiki reading the show inspired me to do).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gave it a couple of tries and it never really hooked me. I'm considering a third try but really its probably just not for me for whatever reason.

I finished binging The Path. Its... ok. There's some interesting character stuff and I enjoy the ambiguity of things, but there's not anything super compelling about it. I think the show kind of falls into the trap that very few characters are truly sympathetic. I mean, most of them are. They're all clearly broken people who got her because of abuse as a child. So I feel for all of them. But then they all pretty consistently make bad choices that they can't really blame on anyone but themselves. So its a rough ride for me to ultimately care about the fate of "The Movement." It really does remind me in a lot of ways of Sons of Anarchy, but without the worst Sutter elements.

Gotta pick up a new show. Thinking of trying Orphan Black but I might just pick up on Hap & Leonard S2, Better Call Saul S3, or pick back up with Nikita S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

coyo7e posted:

The douchebaggy brother was the best part of Bloodline. I tried season 2 and think I even watched all of it, but it wasn't worth remembering I guess because I don't remember anything.

I started watching The 100, it has 4 seasons now, so I assume it gets more interesting than scifi lord of the flies, sometime during the first season..?

The 100 is basically what would have happened if the Lord of the Flies kept escalating until Ralph nuked Jack's hometown.