Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Psych is definitely my happy place show. I also started a Schitt's Creek rewatch this week.

Psych does have some stressful more serious life threatening episodes though. They're rare but they tend to happen once or twice a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had the exact same reaction for the longest time and I'm currently watching through it for the third time in the last year. Its just wonderful and heartwarming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WhiteHowler posted:

No. It looks fun. I know it's generally played for silliness, but how much actually spooky imagery is there? My wife is prone to weird dreams if we watch anything creepy or gory just before bed.

Its got VERY good horror stuff but its ALWAYS played for a laugh. So it probably depends on how sensitive you are to it because you might see something spooky at first glance but it will get silly quick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Schitt's Creek takes a little bit to get there but its basically all about love. I'm rewatching it and am now in the S3-4 sweet spot and its basically making me cry tears of joy every episode or two.

Tea Bone posted:

Are there any recent-ish horror series anyone can recommend? I've done Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, American Horror Story, Lovecraft Country, Supernatural. I know "Them" is on prime but I noticed a goon a few pages back saying it was a less good Lovecraft country so might give it a miss for the time being. Looking for stuff more on the serious side of the scale rather than campy and over the top a la American Horror Story.

The Exorcist was very good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I remember right everyone expected Happy Endings to get cancelled as it was a poorly rated half order mid season replacement that had its episode order jumbled around. So he did the pilot for New Girl but then Happy Endings got renewed before New Girl got picked up. New Girl decided to just write his character out and introduce a new one instead of recasting, so then when Happy Endings did get cancelled Wayans was free to return.

And its all a weirdly tight schedule. Like Happy Endings Season 1 aired from April '11 to August '11 and then its second season debuted a month later in September. New Girl premiered in September. Happy Endings got renewed May 13th and New Girl was picked up May 16th.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 28, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But also they totally started making poo poo up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

George RR Fartin posted:

Didn't the writers strike occur right in the middle of the series as well? But yeah, if you make a written by the seat of your pants mystery box show, maybe don't include "and they gave a plan" in the opening credits. It's a bit much to commit to.

Yeah, the problem with BSG is simply that they made a really big deal of a "plan" and destiny and things happening for very important reasons and people mattering very specifically. And then it was just really obvious that they were making it up as they go along and a lot of people were dissatisfied with what they got. And you can't claim its an unfair expectation when YOU laid all that "plan" stuff down to set that expectation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Does Future Man get better? I watched three episodes and I'm not really feeling it at all.

It gets over the video game jokes, or at least pulls them in check and eventually moves on by Season 2. And the characters do round out a bit and their world gets crazier. But I'd guess if you're not enjoying the dynamic early on I wouldn't bet on that changing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jeesis posted:

Okay so just to recap, season 1, 2, 4. Season 8 is funny spin off where crazy ol’ dexter is up to his killin’ shenanigans again, the sociopathic little tyke!

Any reason to skip season 3? Is it just massive filler rehashing the same plot points as the previous seasons with all the interesting stuff happening near the end or being interspersed throughout the season but it feeling like all of that really only had the same substance as three episodes from previous seasons?

Does anyone have a link to the season eight Dexter thread? Also, a side question. Which season was it that the writer strike happened?

There is absolutely no reason to skip Season 3. Its not a great season but its not anywhere near the worse. And its a serial so the stuff that happens in S3 absolutely matters as does the stuff that happens in every season. Its often really dumb stuff but skipping portions of the story will leave you blind to entire portions of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trig Discipline posted:

It's basically The Eva Green show with also some other people as far as I'm concerned. She just commits so hard to the role that you have to keep watching the show no matter how ludicrous it gets.

Yeah, Penny Dreadful is

1) Eva Green killing it.
2) The cool aesthetic and idea.
3) The rest of the cast going with it and chewing scenery.
4) Some vague story stuff? Just get back to Eva Green.

The first is completely worth the price of admission.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never watched a Bond film and have no real interest in changing that. But eventually I'll watch the one with Eva Green in it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its not really the Lost finale that had people annoyed. The finale was just the capper of a final season that annoyed a lot of people. And it isn't even really the final season. The show had been going in directions a lot of fans didn't like for awhile. And its not even that. There were fans annoyed even before the show started getting extra weird just because they felt like the questions being asked and strung out had lame answers that weren't worth the build and stuff was being extended and cut short and written on the fly. Or that the creators were specifically lying and debunking stuff and throwing red herrings just to string it out. So the finale was just the end of a long, bad relationship that left a lot of people going "that's what we said it was all along and you told us we were wrong and should keep guessing!" It was just pent up frustration.

If you binge the show and didn't watch it for years or know there was at one point an online game/scavenger hunt that was supposed to give you secret insight into the numbers then you don't carry all that baggage into the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The second half of the Leverage:Redemption reboot dropped today and so far it is MUCH better than the first half from August.

Leverage is one of my all time favorite shows, and these newest 8 episodes feel much more like the original series.

I started a Leverage rewatch last month with the intent of getting to the new one and got into Season 5 before I stalled out it out for October/Horror. I'll get back to it in November because I love it a ton but I'm apprehensive about that new series. They all seem so old and there's no Hutton and I gather Hodges is only in a little bit of it? Obviously it could still be good but that's so much of it that seems missing or changes and its scary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I binged it 3 times over the last year and a half. Its just a very uplifting and easy watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just finished a New Girl rewatch. A favorite. My 6th Roommate Ranking is Ruth > Coach > Reagan > Ally.

I also weirdly ended up watching the whole 8 episode season of Pretty Smart. Its not good. Its super broad and bad like someone badly copying a Chuck Lorre show, but its actually weirdly got a good heart. And like... it feels like if someone had taken a completely different approach to the show it could be good. Like its about two estranged sisters reconnecting, a snobby overworker recognizing that people who seem superficial can be really great and deep and caring, etc. There's this one character who is an over the top vegan/crystal stereotype who used to be a corporate lawyer who was overwhelmed by the moral compromises and is now trying to be the exact opposite person but struggling with the balance. And that could be a good and nuance character in good show but in this show she got the BP Oil Spill people off by blaming dolphins. Its dumb. But its also 8 30 minute episodes so I ended up watching the whole thing and now I'm invested in the core relationship cliffhanger! drat it!

I just started a rewatch of Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Really great and underrated show but I've never managed to finish it because S3 gets real heavy and dark and gets to me. So gonna give it another try.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Buttchocks posted:

Mental illness is a major theme of the show. :shrug:
Yeah, its not an either or situation. The two feed each other and the resolution is finding peace and strength to cope in love and family.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved it when it was airing on NBC and was excited to watch S3 and I dunno. It felt like it had gotten real avante garde and just kind of stopped being whatever I liked about it. I'll probably retry it eventually but the fire is gone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i finally finished Crazy Ex Girlfriend and its a remarkable show with a perfect finish. I had seen the first three seasons and then I just kind of never finished because Season 3 is such a difficult watch and I didn't ever feel up to continuing it. But the last season was such a relieving and cathartic journey of trying to get better and understanding and forgiveness and healing. I don't have any of the major mental health stuff the show deals with but I think one of the things the show does so well besides taking us through Rebecca's journey is showing us everyone else's struggles. So even if I may only occasionally sing along with "You Ruin Everything You Stupid Bitch" I probably hum along with Greg or Heather or Josh or someone else at one time or another. And the whole thing is really about how we've all got our struggles and its the one thing we've all got in common. And the concert epilogue is really cool because it reminded me how talented the cast is. Bloom is amazing of course and she's always on center stage, but it can be easy to forget or not even notice that the rest of the cast are all super talented especially when they only get a couple of songs a season or play characters so against the theater type. So watching Valencia, Heather, Nathan, etc on stage letting loose is just really cool.

Really just a great and truly unique show that I'm glad I finally revisited and finished. I define "genius" as someone or something that can see something no one else can and make it a reality and Bloom/Crazy Ex Girlfriend kinda might be genius in that way,

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I prefer to binge a more plot driven show. It keeps everything fresh and can ride the momentum. Because otherwise I’m bad at coming back every week and my interest ebbs and flows. And I don’t like discussion threads or the obsessive analysis of shows so I don’t have them keeping me engaged all week.

For more episodic stuff I prefer weekly. Something I don’t have to be super plugged into, just something I can pop on whenever to decompress or eat or fold laundry or whatever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Imposters but I don't know a single other person who saw it. It originally aired on Bravo but is on Netflix now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not sure Blue Mountain State ages well like at all but its kind of funny because a bunch of people I saw pop up on Schitt's Creek including Annie Murphy I first saw on that show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector 34 posted:

Huh, I do not remember Annie Murphy being on BMS at all. Guess I'll have to rewatch the entire series.

She was in like two episodes. She was the main dudes perfect girl or something.

It’s obviously not hugely significant I just remember her from it and that strikes me as funny because Schitts Creek and BMS are very different shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How long you can stick with Supernatural post S5 definitely comes down to how much you enjoy the characters in monster of the week episodes. I think the show starts to find itself again around S8 or so but even then it never really recaptures the level it had and is always a bit “ok we gotta keep it going and escalate things”. But it all comes down to how much you love those random rear end comedy episodes of one off mini monster/creature films. Because those are what keep you going.

That or a deeply unhealthy online obsession with the main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

USA in the early 2000s mastered the art of shows that didn't have a ton going on but you just kept coming back week after week because the casts and situations were so charming. It was magic for a time.

I love Banshee and have watched it multiple times but I don't think I've finished Season 4 once. Either that or I just constantly forget it.

In the same vein of those shows I'm gearing up for a Black Sails rewatch.