Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

It seems that about everyone here at some point fell in love with a tv show on the first viewing and blew through a complete season (or series) on DVD in a space of a few days/weeks.

For me, it's been Six Feet Under. I had never watched this show until a week and a half ago. I had never been interested in this show before. The premise seemed a bit contrived and not that exciting, I wasn't sure where they could really go with it. I just couldn't be bothered, even if I read the hype about it here for years. I feel in love with Micheal C. Hall when I saw him in Dexter and thought he was just an incredible actor playing such a terrific character. In fact, that even put me off from watching SFU because I didn't think I'd be able to dissociate David from Dexter out of love for the latter so much. Well, I was incredibly wrong on all points. Through sheer boredom a week and a half ago, I happened to watch the pilot and tonight I finished the season 2 finale.

It's definitely one of the best television series ever created, and a proof that television can be a medium superior to cinema. Also, I never thought a tv show could make me cry so much. It really started with a bang, too. Never saw that coming. The mother's emotional pain after she received that phone call might be the most human and gripping expression of grief I've ever seen on tv. I felt like I had been punched in the gut. Right there I realized I was watching something special. Also, it's just incredibly funny.

So, what about you? (Try to restrict it to series already out on DVDs, or well Hulu too I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Not So Fast posted:

After that I might (...) try out The Wire.

Rhyno posted:

Next up I guess I'll finally start watching the Wire.

You're both in for another show that certainly deserves a spot in the list of best series of all times.

Also, this made me think of Stuff White People Like: the Wire

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I just finished The Shield (until the last season starts) and it turned out to be pretty much everything I expect out of quality television. It shows why Glenn Close and Forrest Whittaker are such amazing actors and, to date, has my favorite directing and camera work. Nothing I've seen in television beats that part of Season 1 where Vic and a Latino detective who works with Los Mags find out about the hostage situation. They just drop everything and sprint out of the Barn, the camera guy a few steps behind them, everything silent except for the sound of boots hitting the floor. Brilliant. I was expecting the show to start ratcheting down during Season 4, but then on comes Glenn Close and the pace is kept up all the way until the end. It's just such a shame that Alex O'Loughlin left the show for that shitfest Moonlight.

Right now I'm a few episodes into the second season of The Wire. Holy poo poo is this an amazing show. Outstanding writing, outstanding acting, outstanding directing. The DVD doesn't have much else besides commentary, but I love how the director's commentary boils down to "The list of regular television conventions we told to go gently caress off." And according to the Las Vegas Sun, Hope is a man named Omar.

The shield is quite something. I'll be watching the whole series again in order to get ready for the last season.

Last season.

Also, if you've never watched "The Wire", it's your logical step to take now.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Bunnita posted:

Also, keeping in the Angel theme I find Bones entertaining. The science is out there but I just pretend that Angel shansued (sp??) and is now fighting crime as an FBI agent!

Isn't that what EVERY single 'Bones' viewer tell themselves in order to justify watching this show so long?

I'm eventually going to give it a try based on exactly what you said.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Still binging on Six Feet Under, I just finished season 4, episode 5 (the one with David and the hitchhiker). It seems to get even more amazing. I can't believe that I purposely dismissed this series for years as looking like a total bore even after hearing about critical reviews.

This show, as well as the Wire, are so loving good that it makes me wonder what good series I've missed out because I simply never gave them a chance. I'm probably going to netflix a whole lot of stuff I've ignored in the past (West Wing, etc..)

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Nate RFB posted:

Just finished season 5 of The Shield.

It got better...but...but...

I just don't know anymore.

You should watch the prequel to season six before season six. It's like 20 minutes.

And yeah, I know. I don't either.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

I never thought I'd like Scrubs. I had watched maybe 3 or 4 minutes of an episode but just couldn't get into it, it seemed to me like the show was trying wayyy too hard to be wacky for the sake of wacky. I can't stand this kind of humour when it's done with a wink.

After going against my original opinion on Six Feet Under, I decided to give it a couple of days ago. I liked the first few episodes, but episode 8 of season 1 really pulled me in. Now I've just finished episode 12 season 2 and I really really love it. I'm so glad I still have six seasons and a half to look forward to until it's over, I just hope the series doesn't go West Wing on me.

Also, Sarah Chalke is such a cutie

I've been watching Breaking Bad (two episodes to go) too, and it's simply that amazing. Walter is definitely great and while I hate magic tv writing, I certainly wouldn't protest if they were to find a way out of their "time constraint" though I suppose they could still push it .

Anorak Revolution fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2008 around 04:51

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Quisling posted:

I just binged through The Wire (Season 3 oh god) and Entourage. My roommate went crazy and bought like 16 pounds of DVDs after his (late) economic stimulation check.

The Wire is incredible. Season 2 wasn't so great, since I found myself missing Avon's crew and my favorite one left the show. Season 3 was unbelievable since I was already a fan of Omar and Bubbles. Really awesome work there. I haven't watched any of this on HBO but I can't wait for season 4.

You're in for a threat because Season 4 is the best Wire season, and one of the finest seasons of any shows ever.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Just started the 4th season of Six Feet Under last night. The ending of the first episode When Nate is burying Lisa is one of the most emotionally gut wrenching things I've ever seen on television. Jesus.

You're in for some of the best episodes, soon. some of the most soul-crushing ones, too.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

So I've gone through Scrubs now and I'm searching for something new, any suggestions?

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Plenty of great shows are getting out on dvd in the next couple of months, but now I've mostly been going through the first season of Prison Break. I never gave it a chance before because... I don't know why, really. I thought it looked interesting but I just could never muster up the energy to give it a try. Well now I'm watching episode 11 and I'm really really digging it. It's really the perfect kind of show to watch while working out.

After I'm done with it (though sadly I heard that the last(s) seasons were pretty bad and ridiculous) I'm going to go through a Shields marathon again because the last season is starting very soon. Then Pushing Daisies or Chuck, whichever I end up buying first.

Yay for downtime at work

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Finally finished Prison Break season 1 to 3, I'll be watching the premiere of the fourth season when I come home tonight, and I've got to say...

I don't understand why people would complain that the series jumped the shark, wasn't as good as the first season, etc... I thought that season 2 and season 3 were actually improvements on season 1, as good as season 1 was. The only things that truly made me sad was that Abruzzi didn't make it, because he was such a great character. And man do the Prison Break people love to kill off main characters and especially love interests. I never saw Veronica's death coming, even when they shot I figured they'd be shooting Terrence instead, that they would not have the balls to kill her. I did see Sarah coming from a mile away, though, since you never saw the character's face anymore, even pictures weren't pictures of her, so I immediately figured in the first episode that they would kill her off, didn't expect that they'd gwyneth paltrow her though.

Really really looking forward to tonight, though one episode a week is going to suck.

I'll probably start Touching Evil (US) now, I need a Jeffrey Donovan fix until Burn Notice comes back for the mid-season finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Lost here, starting from the pilot tonight, hoping to be done with season 4 by the time season 5 begins. Really psyched

ChristianDB posted:

question about six feet under

Saying all that, is season three any good or does it drift to the poo poo pit? I really don't want to spend much more money then I have to and I'm ok to just stop watching. The episodes have been a chore to get through this season.

Stick through with it. SFU is not even-handed, the middle bit can be dragging on for some people, but it's still hands down the best American Drama series there ever was.

Season 3 isn't liked too much because of one character, but trust me, go through with it, and when the last episode of season 5 is over, you'll be incredibly glad you went through it (well, after crying your heart out)