Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Powered through the first season of Twin Peaks and HIMYM. Great shows.. I guess i'll check out The Wire after I finish the second season of Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Trophy Boner posted:

I couldn't even get past the first episode of Farscape.

I do plan on trying to get past the first season of Babylon 5 though... it sounds exactly like the kind of scifi I'd like.

I want to watch Deep Space Nine for the same reasons as Babylon 5, but I feel I should watch TNG first. I'm about halfway through the first season, and boy does it start out bad (excluding the great pilot). It has slowly gotten better though, I'm starting to enjoy it. If it keeps getting better, I'll be hooked eventually.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get through the first holodeck episode.

You don't need to watch TNG to power through DS9. I saw all seasons of DS9 before TNG and there was nothing clashing or missed. I enjoyed DS9 more so than TNG as well. I tried getting into B5 but I watched the first 5 episodes or so and it is excruciatingly hard to watch. I hope it picks up in later seasons because I'm not getting the same feel from this as I did from DS9, which was hard to put down and stop watching.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Started watching back through Veronica Mars for the second time. Wish there were more shows like this. Any recommendations on similar paced/plotted shows?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Count Choculitis posted:

I'm also getting further in Veronica Mars, and you guys were so right, it's incredible. I'm so sad that Troy turned out to be a huge tool. What a jackass. And yesterday I "realized" he was Iceman from X-Men, but then I looked it up and apparently it's his twin brother, that I didn't know he had. Weird! Sad he's gone though, he was great until he turned out to be a dick. That episode about Lucas and his dad was really good too, but it took me like the whole episode to go, "Hey, that's Uncle Marty from Harper's Island!" I'm excited to see more of Lucas's story, my friend told me he's the main love interest, kind of. And who freakin killed Lily! I can't wait to find out!

Or is he?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Yeah.. Season 1 was pretty much a perfect season of television. Perfect start middle and end. Season 2 had it's ups and downs. Season 3 was mostly downs with not much of a conclusion. Still enjoyed 3 for what it was.

Binged through all True Blood episodes in a week. It's such an amazingly fun show. Are there any other shows out there that just are plain fun like this? It doesn't take itself seriously, and the sci-fi/fantasy or what ever is done well. It's like a modern Buffy for adults. Best thing is it's only getting better, so far.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Fermata Forever posted:

As far as I'm concerned, BSG peaked with the revelation of the Final Four (minus the fifth), and the first, AMAZING time we heard All Along The Watchtower. The last season seemed kind of random and unsatisfying. For how much I loved the first few seasons, I was surprised by how indifferent I was by the end.

Have there been any good sci-fi shows that maintained a consistently high level throughout? For me, the only thing that would qualify would be Firefly, which was canceled...

Yeah pretty much. It would have ended really well on that final montage/song with a few changes to the plot of that episode, and no fifth. The ship takeover were two really good episodes though.

I binged through Deadwood, it was amazing. Why are so many amazing shows cancelled. TV execs really don't have souls.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Burned through Spartacus which was a great show, and two seasons of Curb your enthusiasm, and now I'm at the second season of Dexter.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Evfedu posted:

edgy

gently caress your posts are terrible, it's like you're trying to post a blog on SA. Stop trying so hard.

Anyway, I've been binging through Dexter. Up to season 4 and loving it. It's a shame I knew from the start of S1 what happens in the big Season 4 finale.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Yeah well I binged through Glee and I love it. I thought I would despise it, but I suppose Once more with feeling was my favourite Buffy episode.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

I think he meant the Desmond intro to season 2 episode 1 when you find out what is in the hatch, which I clearly remember being one of the biggest WTF moments on TV when it aired. It was brilliantly done and now you're making me miss Lost. Lost really did season openings and closings really well.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

It works well as a whole seeing the streets, docks, local government, police, school system, media etc. with a focus on one or two in each season.

I've been binging through The OC, a guilty pleasure of mine. Yeah...

Is supernatural any good, or get better? I watched the first few episodes when it first came out and didn't like it that much. Felt like it was trying to be x-file/roswell or something.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Kekekela posted:

Just finished Season 1 of Southland, really enjoyed it and can't wait for Seasons 2&3 to become available on Netflix.

Also just got the first Spartacus disk in and watched the first episode last night. Over the top tits and melee combat, I could not ask for more.

I envy your first watch of Spartacus. It gets so much better.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

I pretty much gave up on the shield after that scene. It was so completely uncharacteristic of dutch that it put me off the show. He just suddenly, after 30+ years of no animal cruelty, strangles a cat to death with his bare hands to see what it feels like? Bullshit. People aren't just suddenly turned into psychopaths, and dutch never showed any sign of being one before then. It was stupid. He was having a mid life crisis and that's what they came up with..

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Kekekela posted:

Just finished Spartacus, drat that poo poo was good. Is there going to be another season following the whole slave war thing or was this just a one shot deal?

The main guy has cancer and has to deal with that but there is a prequel show coming out which looks promising and retains most of the cast. http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3372676

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Porkchop Express posted:

I have been going through all the previous seasons of Big Bang Theory, holy poo poo how did I never watch this show until now???

Seriously? I can't stand that poo poo. It's so stupidly unfunny with an annoying laugh track.. I'd even rather watch two and a half men.

That said, I finished watching Curb Your Enthusiasm to season 8 and holy crap that is how you do a comedy. Larry David is a comedy genius.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Unfortunately that is not true. Big Band Theory is the epitome of en mass poo poo proliferation. With a laugh track.

If you identify with the characters or find the comedy humorous I pity your lacklustre existence and commiserate the sad identity you share with those 'characters' that you dream of sharing.

Geez, I don't think any other show has ever made me black-out rage like that.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2010 around 19:18

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Porkchop Express posted:

Man you take your TV pretty seriously don't you?

I like how people can black out rage over a simple TV show, if you don't like it, don't watch it, simple as that.

I was being sarcastic. I do think the show is stupid and I don't get the humour or how others could like it but that's as far as it goes.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

scr0llwheel posted:

I'm glad I kept at it because you weren't lying. I just finished episode 4 and I'm hooked.

I don't usually rewatch shows but Spartacus is so awesome I've watched it through twice now.

Also if you don't love BoB you have no soul.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Mr.Graves posted:

If you like Kitchen Confidential then you really need to give the series Whites the time it deserves. Why am I so annoying about Whites at the present moment? Because A) I am an rear end in a top hat and B) although you will never get a second season of Kitchen Confidential, if enough people get a cult following over Whites then maybe, just maybe a show with an awesome cast that is witty, British humour and genuinely funny might have a chance at a second season.

The last I heard, episode 6 of Whites was the series finale. Make me wrong!

Maybe this will be funnier if you post it a third time?

Finished Terriers and it was pretty good, nothing special. It's overhyped in this thread though.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Twin Peaks is up on Netflix Instant now and I'm 6 episodes in. I like it so far, but I see that there are only 2 seasons. Without spoiling anything, does the show get a proper finale? Because after Lost, I'll be pretty pissed if none of this gets resolved.

It does, but I thought that it was a little rushed. There are also the movie which I never saw.

Deadwood was an amazing show all round, what you talking about.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Farscape gets better and better. Season one wasn't very good- but it gets much better and the insanity/fun skyrockets. And the answer to the last question is: right till the end.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Bonk posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Just started watching from the beginning. I'd only seen a few later episodes before, and the early stuff just isn't all that funny, just awkward. The ones I've seen were probably from 4th or 5th season, and were much funnier. I know it started in 2000 and now comes off as a little dated, but can anyone tell me when it really hits its stride?

I found each season gets better near the end as the plot grows and the episodes find their ground, with the finale of nearly every season being astonishingly good. torettes, the play, seinfeld etc.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at Jun 7, 2011 around 09:58

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Throatwarbler posted:

I like pretty much all the popular comedies - Parks and rec, Community, 30 rock, Party Down, but somehow I just can't get into It's always Sunny. I hate all the characters and didn't laugh once in the first 5 or 6 episodes I made it through before giving up. What's so great about it?

It get better with Dannie Devito as the father but then gets terrible again in the latest season. It has it's moments/episodes that are great but otherwise is pretty terrible the rest of the time. Guess it depends on your taste too, it's pretty morose.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

^ Welp, don't watch Misfits or you will flip your loving poo poo.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

It starts off great, hits a lull when it middles, then when Idi Amin comes on screen it explodes from then onwards.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Justified only gets better and better.

BSG is hit and miss after season 2, so don't stop watching. There are individual events that make the show, like the Adama Maneuver for example.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

X-files: When moulder isn't in it anymore(season 6+) is when it changes in style. But to be honest, to compare how it changes to how modern shows nosedive, relatively, it is fine. Just watch the show all the way through, it's a great show and I have such great memories from childhood and teens from this show. Better yet, it stands up over time, because it didn't rely on special effect CGI.

I just finished the first season of Vampire Diaries. It has such a stupid cliche premise, but it's so good. It only improves over time. I hope season 2 is just as good. Is it?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

I loved it from the beginning, then by the season finale I said it was up there with The Wire and Deadwood, but then the next season has started and now it's my favorite show on TV right now. If it continues like this without going over the top for a couple more seasons it will be a keeper.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

Falling Skies S1 was good, but I couldn't get through 2. Does it get better? Defiance got awesome, in comparison.

I'm binging re-through firefly and god drat if this show was on TV today it would be a mass hit... (and not cancelled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by Lowtax

I really like Killjoys, it has potential. it needs more character and direction. However, it's better than dark matter, even though DM has slowly been getting better (it's almost good now). But DM is basically just star gate v2