Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I watched all the Game of Thrones episodes in the last two weeks. Not a big fantasy fan, lost interest whenever it became about dragons or white walkers, but entertaining stuff overall. It's like The Tudors on steroids. Especially with the Ann Boleyn actress coming back and playing virtually the same role.

On that note, I would definitely recommend The Tudors to Game of Thrones fans if you enjoy the politicking more than the fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I started re-watching the original Nikita after watching all of the new Nikita episodes and it hasn't aged well. Or maybe I'm just a more discerning viewer. The new one is vastly superior, but has occasional eye-rolling moments that keep it from greatness.

Also check out the original French movie that everything is based on. It'll help you catch a lot of references and is good in its own right.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I finally started watching The Wire thanks to infinite suggestions on this forum. Already hooked, but the price on Apple TV is ridiculous. $30+ for one season of a show that aired in 2002? I can get almost two months of HBO Canada for that. :saddowns:

On the bright side, maybe they'll finally put season 2 of Game of Thrones on Apple TV Canada by the time I'm done with it.

Why does HBO hate Canada and/or why does Shaw (cable provider) hate HBO :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Philthy posted:

Is this still based off that awesome French film La Femme Nikita?

Only in the loosest sense. A junkie (Maggie Q as a junkie is completely unbelievable - all they do is give her bushy eyebrows) transforms into a reluctant assassin after being wrongly* accused of a crime, then falls in love with her trainer.

It's more of a reboot of the previous TV show, only she has escaped of Division/Section One and spends the series trying to destroy them, and her relationship with Michael (Bob in the movie) is simplified/CW-ified dramatically.

The most recent season finale had multiple references to the old series finale, with a few twists, to the point where it'd be a shame to watch it without knowing how the old series ended.

*In the TV shows she's not a cop killer, just framed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zhaan posted:

I just started watching the new Nikita too. I've seen the original movie, but not the original TV series. Is it worth stopping in the middle of season 1 to go back and watch the old show first?

Probably not, it hasn't aged that well. All the super cool gadgets of the 90s are comedic now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just started The Wire season 2. Without spoiling anything, how long do they spend at the ports? Is it like an all-season thing?

Hits a little too close to home for me. :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 5, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

screenwritersblues posted:

Just finished The Wire and all I have to say is wow, that was the best good to come out in years. The one thing that disappointed me was that when the little kid shot Omar three episodes before end of the series, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping that he would at least make it to the end of the series and show that he was really a good guy, who was trying to save the city and not the bad guy that everyone thought he was. Over all it was a solid series. Good writing, good characters, and great story lines. It's going to be hard to to that series, although I hear that GoT is close.

Talking about good and bad guys in a show like The Wire is not right. Everyone's a shade of grey, like real life.

Well, maybe not Snoop. Yeesh

Game of Thrones is good but won't compare. Mad Men is probably the closest current show as far as intelligent writing goes, but still inferior.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

richardfun posted:

The only show that comes close to The Wire for me is Breaking Bad.

I almost feel like Breaking Bad was ruined by me marathoning The Wire. It seems so silly in comparison, and they were obviously inspired by the show.

Gale worked for the Baltimore Sun before he moved to Albuquerque. :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I remember The Corner... that was a great mini series. Should've known it was the same people.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Watched the first nine episodes of Homeland in one 12 hour night shift. That's more about how slow the night shift is than how much I like the show though.

It's very interesting as long as it stays away from being about Carrie's personal life, but I'm not dying to see what happens next like I was with my last two marathons (The Wire and Game of Thrones).

And like many 30-somethings I have trouble disassociating Danes from her My So-Called Life emo character.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Caught up to Homeland. Not sure I'd recommend it... it started off well enough, but really takes a nosedive halfway through season 2. Definitely not worthy of its hype.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I just finished the first season of Treme and I love this show so much. I just love everything about it. The music, the characters, the heartbreak of it all. Creighton's suicide just tore me to pieces, even though I could see it coming a mile away. The season finale had me in tears. What a beautiful loving show. Gonna pick up season 2 at the library tomorrow and bake a New Orleans style bread pudding.

I'm two episodes in and I'm not sure if I like it yet. Does it continue to stay so music focused? I'm more interested in the social aspects of the city.

And I respect the style of music but the show is almost like a musical so far and that ain't my bag.

Also, Lester Freamon without his goatee looks exactly like a (Sikh) coworker of mine. It's creepy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got through season 1 of Treme in about two weeks. Definitely not a show I would normally give a chance, was hoping for more The Wire: NOLA, but it got its hooks into me in the last couple episodes.

I still have trouble caring about a few characters and get a bit bored during some long musical numbers but will definitely watch season 2.

I was one of those assholes who thought "just have everyone move to Baton Rouge/Houston" after Katrina and I feel really dumb about that now. I still can't honestly say I'm a fan of the music but I respect it and the culture a lot more now. If I'm ever on that side of the continent I'll be sure to make time for NO.

It's sad to think that a large portion of my home town is under sea level and will be annihilated in the next big earthquake but we'll lose nothing of cultural value besides a cool Buddhist temple.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Treme is one of the few critically acclaimed shows where I've said "gently caress it, it's too slow" and given up. But even then it was more about not identifying with any character, and not being a fan of extended musical numbers, than the pace.

Mad Men is slow but it's also the best written show on TV (still active).

I'm currently inching towards the end of Boardwalk Empire season 1, another show accused of being slow - but I love it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hakkesshu posted:

I ended up liking Nikita, though I've only seen the first season so far. I generally thought it needed more bite, but it definitely gets way better the further you get. The last couple of episodes in season 1 are really, really good. Does it continue to improve down the line?

Season 2 is great. Season 3 is a bit off since they expected to be cancelled and had to figure out a new arc after the significant events of the season 2 finale.

It's not bad, just not quite as good.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jolan posted:

I just finished watching the first season of Homeland. I don't think I've ever actually been frustrated with a show before because of how good it is. The seven months until the second season hits the shelves will be torture.

A lot of people consider the second season much worse if that helps. :shrug: I just marathoned the whole thing myself and was really disappointed at the direction it took.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: double post sorry

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 27, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally caught up on The Americans. Much better than I was expecting to be, but way too many non-80s things slipping through. Like Keri's character saying "It is what it is." No one said that in 1981.

Maybe this happens in all period pieces, but I'm just barely old enough to remember the early 80s so it's extra jarring.

Speaking of period pieces, also halfway through season 3 of Boardwalk Empire. I keep reading that it's the best season yet, but I enjoyed Jimmy's tragic power grab attempt more than anything about Rosetti so far. Rosetti is too cartoonish.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Watch The Americans for Keri Russell as a Soviet spy. I never thought I'd say that but she is excellent.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

richardfun posted:

What are these jobs where one can just watch tv shows for a few hours? I need to get me one of those.

I work Saturday to Wednesday and can't watch anything on weekdays but usually get at least a couple hours of tv watching per shift on weekends. Wage is ridiculously good for the amount of work I have to do (usually just small talk with a janitor and some federal agents).

Trying Spartacus next thanks to this thread/forum.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've jumped back on the Continuum bandwagon after jumping off halfway through the season on first airing. Showcase (Canada) is showing season 1 again and the second-last episode was great. The "anti-corporation people are bad guys" thing still bugs me but I hope they'll deal with that at some point.

Showcase is also airing Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. How did I not know this? I would've been paying $18 per month for HBO already if a sudden house-related expense didn't come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Would I like Hannibal if I didn't like the movies or horror stuff in general? I love gritty dark shows however.