Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I binged my way through Breaking Bad in about a week, just in time for the season finale. Amazing show. I'm going to start the Wire soon.

Oh, I just watched all of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Patrovsky posted:

My head hurts a little. The threads here are a bit of a clusterfuck, so I haven't read through all of them, but what's the popular opinion season quality? I really enjoyed 5, but 6 seemed a little too chaotic.

I think most people were torn on the flashes in season 6, but started to get more interested in them when they started connecting to the main arc a bit. However, there was a huge division over their ultimate meaning - some people loved it, some people hated it, and some people flat-out never understood it. Some of the people who loved it thought that the people who hated it never understood it, while in fact many of the people who hated it understood it just fine and thought it was a complete cop-out.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll never get how some people never understood the ending to Lost. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. I didn't like it much because I felt that the fact that they were dead lessened the impact of some of the reunions/resolutions that went before, but it's not like it ruined the whole show for me. The thing I found obnoxious was that the people in the SA thread who did like the ending automatically assumed that anyone who didn't like it had failed to understand it, as though it were impossible to both understand and dislike the ending.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally started watching the Wire. Finished season one last night. It's pretty drat good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Can I Phaser You posted:

I just finished the Wire today, and I'm feeling sad right now because I don't know if there is anything out there that can match it.

I have seen most of the good HBO dramas (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Rome, and now The Wire). So what else is there for me? I tried to start Deadwood a couple years back, but I didn't really get into it for whatever reason. I was considering buying The Shield, but I'm afraid a lesser police show won't hack it after I just finished The Wire.

poo poo. True Blood? Is that any good? Surely not.

Have you seen Breaking Bad yet? It's pretty amazing. I've seen all of BB and only one season of the Wire, but so far I actually like BB better. It's the difference between awesome and awesomer, though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Breaking Bad's on hiatus right now if that helps. End of the third season was a couple of weeks ago, and was excellent.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I'm 4 episodes into Arrested Development. So far, it is pretty good, but I like 30 Rock better because the dumb characters are funnier on 30 Rock.

I've been told it's one of the best comedies ever. Does it get better or does it stay consistent at where it is?

It gets better, and it gets better with repeated viewings. It is so self-referential and has so many subtle jokes that it's impossible to see it all the first time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

The beginning of season 2 :colbert:

Actually, no the show is fine throughout, but I don't think it ever captured that sense of wonder and fascinating mystery found in season 1. Certain elements got introduced in season 2 that over time just made things more and more convoluted, resulting in the writing to focus more on the characters rather than intelligent suspense and mystery. Which is fine I guess if you really like the characters. Just don't hold onto any hope that you'll get any sort of satisfactory answers and go along for the ride.

Beginning of season 3 is universally considered kind of weak, though.

I actually thought Lost only really hit its stride about halfway through season 2, and didn't mind the first six eps of season 3, which are the ones that drove everyone crazy. I spent the first season and a half wondering whether they even really had a story to tell, and only really got into the show when it became clear that that was the case.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ratatozsk posted:

You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't watch the first 4 episodes of season 3. Episode 4 is incredible.

The final montage in the series finale though? :barf:

I would go even a couple of eps past that, but yeah. After the whole New Caprica arc it just went downhill. I *liked* it all the way through, but that was the point where it went from "HOLY poo poo" to "yeah, okay".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I also liked Lost all the way through but didn't like the very, very end. Here's my idea of how to fix it, though. DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING SPOILED FFS.

After you go through all of those reunions and everybody moves onto the afterlife, go back to show what happened to those people in the real world.

Charlie floating in the water...

Jin and Sun floating in the sub...

Ji Yeon grows up without ever knowing her parents...

Bits of Sayid being eaten by jellyfish...

etc., etc., etc.

And then the last scene is just Lindelof and Cuse giving you the finger for five straight minutes.

:q:

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 3, 2010

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just finished The Wire last night. Holy poo poo, what a good show.

But I was halfway through season 4 before I realized Snoop was a girl. :downs:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RoryGilmore posted:

It took me until a year after watching the series to find that out for some reason :(

I only realized when one of the other characters referred to her offhandedly as "she", and my first response was "lol he called Snoop 'she', he's about to get his rear end kicked". Then I checked IMDB and felt really stupid.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yates posted:

I just started The Wire. How many loving times can motherfuckers say gently caress in one loving episode? Every loving other loving word is loving gently caress. What the gently caress? Honest-loving-ly.

Have you seen the part where McNulty and Bunk are working out the details of a shooting yet? Because I believe that scene answers your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM

Spoiler, obviously, and also :nws: for corpse boobs.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 8, 2010

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

Before John Spencer died,

What's this? Was there some sort of blues explosion? :ohdear:

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 13, 2010

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Well, my brother and I watched the first five episodes of the supposedly lovely third season of Lost. I'm not sure if it was because I was drunk, but we had a lot of fun with it. I can see, however, how a lot of it would've been just 'what the gently caress is going on' if it was like that on a weekly basis - all the awkward hallucination sequences, Eko dying out of nowhere, Desmond seeing the future, etc. I dunno, I still enjoyed watching it. Juliet is hot.

I liked the third season as well, even the beginning. I think it helps to see it all at once, because then the little detour taken in the first five or six episodes is just an interesting side plot that takes a few hours, as opposed to five or six weeks' worth of waiting to get back on track. I started watching Lost live essentially right after that arc, and I was surprised when I learned that people didn't like it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

I just started Breaking Bad and I really like it, but every time Walter's wife does anything I want to turn the dvd off and never turn it back on. Does she get better or more nuanced at all? I really want to enjoy this show but I feel like I'm watching an awesome drama with a random cartoon figure of every negative stereotype about women ever thrown in and it's ruining ~*~*~my viewing experience~*~*~.

This is a common sentiment, and I don't think it's limited to her character. I thought that Skyler, Marie, and Hank were all fairly one-dimensional and unlikeable early on, but their characters do get filled in quite a bit. Now as to whether you like Skyler or not as her character gets filled in more, I wouldn't venture to guess. Some people do, some people don't. I personally think she's a good character, and more importantly plays a necessary role in the show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I binged through Community. I know not a major accomplishment. I've been trying to binge through Dexter but the drama becomes too much for me at times I Have to give myself a break or its overwhelming.
Also I want to watch BSG because a reputable source told me i'd be an idiot if I didn't but I've never gotten into a big sci-fi tv show. Is it that good?

I've been a sci fi nerd since I was a kid, and I think most TV sci fi is adolescent garbage. BSG at its best (IMO seasons 1 through 2.5) was the only science fiction TV show I've seen that actually lived up to the possibilities of the genre.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Never seen it, probably wouldn't like it. :colbert:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are most of the way through Spaced. I'd heard about it for years, and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. It's funny as hell, and every character is brilliant.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Greyish Orange posted:

Good choice. I've watched it many times and it never stops being funny.

Probably an obvious suggestion, but in case you haven't, check out Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. They have a very similar style and many of the same actors.

I'd already seen them, which is why I was interested in Spaced. The thing about Spaced that makes it so fun is that it's that same sense of humor but without the constraint of staying on topic for an entire movie. They'll do these awesome little micro-genre-parodies for maybe fifteen seconds and then just move on as if nothing had happened.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Spaced

Pretty loving funny for being a decade old topical comedy. Lots of nerdy references to keep me happy.

drat you Phantom Menace! :argh:

The wife and I just finished this series, and we absolutely loved it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

I'd highly recommend that anyone on this thread watches the UK E4 series Misfits. Any description of it makes it sound lame as hell, it's basically a drama in which 5 teenagers on community service who get superpowers after being struck by lightning. Sounds poo poo, but it's brilliantly written, funnier then 90% of comedies, and as the first season is 6 episodes long you don't have to dedicate half your life to catching up with it.

Imagine season 1 of Heroes, better written, 100 times funnier, more shagging, swearing and toilet humour, plus the knowledge that it actually gets better in the second season. The second season is being shown at the moment, and the most recent episode was one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. Just make sure you avoid spoilers!

This show is seriously excellent, and the Heroes comparison is apt. It's like if you took every wrong decision that the Heroes writers/actors/showrunners made and made the right decision instead.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

Right now I'm going through the second season of the Wire.
Definitely one of the greatest TV shows in existence.
And to think, I started watching the show because someone linked me to this:
:nws:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5eYFH8HZ8:nws:

I love that scene.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nierbo posted:

Just finished Heroes season 1 and I thought it didn't live up to the hype at all. It was incredibly lame, especially the bits with Hiro. I almost felt embarrassed watching it.

I think people were, as you say, mainly excited by the potential the show had. It was always cheesy and the acting was always uneven at best, but everyone was holding their breath for it to become awesome. Then it didn't.

I'll second (or third, or fifth) the suggestion that you watch Misfits, though. It's everything Heroes aspired to be at its best moments but with a really dark sense of humor at unexpected times, with nuanced acting and some really bold writing choices. Often an episode will veer off into something that seems like it's going to get really stupid and schticky only to do something completely unexpected with it. The visual effects are pretty bad, but that's because they spent that money on people who can write and act.

Unrelated: the wife and I are binging through The IT Crowd right now, and we like it a lot.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JLightning posted:

Just finishing up season 1 of Misfits. It's pretty drat awesome, but holy poo poo I wish Kelly would shut the gently caress up. I don't dislike her character or anything but her voice/accent drives me bonkers. I'm not going to say it's on the same level as The Wire like some people have, but it's really entertaining and I'm glad I watched it.

Also: It breaks my heart! You're wearing cardigans!

The amazing thing is that she really talks that way. It borders on incomprehensible.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

How much the viewer hates Skylar is based on what role they believe she plays in the show. Personally I saw her as a character reacting to a extremely stressful situation, very odd behaviour from her husband, and not in full possession of all the facts, so her reaction to the situation was understandable. I think other people saw her more as an antagonist to Walt, so they quickly grew tired of her.

That's pretty much how I saw her too. I think a lot of the negative reaction comes from how sympathetic a character Walt was (or is) even when he's doing bad stuff - the audience buys into his reasons for doing whatever awful stuff he's doing, and because of that Skylar seems to be unreasonable and obstructionist. However, viewed from her perspective, she's reacting more or less the way anyone would act if their spouse started behaving that way. Maybe she's less tactful than she could be and communicates poorly, but she was rarely unreasonable in a broader sense. Most of the stuff she got mad about was stuff she probably should have gotten mad about.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

contrantidipsomania posted:

I binged through The Wire not long ago while I was between jobs. I'd tried to watch it a couple of times before, but I never really gotten the moment when you realize just how amazing the wire is.

I know what you mean. I'd heard so much about it, but when I first started watching it I didn't get what the hype was about. It was probably the best police procedural drama I'd ever seen, but ultimately it was not that different from other cop shows. Then as I got to later seasons and saw the story zoom out, and out, and out again it became clear that it was something else entirely.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nierbo posted:

Wait, so thats not how everyone says it over there?

I haven't lived everywhere in the US, but in the places I have lived it's mostly said "puh-leece".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I hadn't hung out with my brother since we finished watching Lost at the beginning of November, so I was looking for a new show for us to watch together. Community is that show. What's the cancellation status? I heard it was cancelled but also producing new episodes?

Not cancelled at all, and there are a lot of good reasons to think that it will last another season or two at least. While the ratings are just sort of middling, it's a huge critical success and DVD sales have been amazing. All of the cancellation talk is just people's residual fear from Arrested Development and similar shows - the feeling that a network comedy this good simply can't last.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Demelza posted:

Not by choice, but over this festive period I have been subjected to Sex & the City.

I hate this show. Each of the quartet needs to have the pointy end of their ridiculous shoes shoved up their nostril until it spears whatever passes for their brains.

The scathing, outraged rant-cum-review of the S&TC 2 film by Mark Kermode half-made me want to see it, but if it is anything like the actual show, I'll have passed out through sheer boredom before having a chance to work myself into a frothing rage.

I haven't read that one, but Lindy West's review is awesome too. It ends with:

quote:

If this is what modern womanhood means, then just loving veil me and sew up all my holes. Good night.

e: I just found Kermode's rant and it's great. Not funny like Lindy West's, but it really gets at a lot of the core issues that make that franchise so incredibly repulsive.

2nd e: Right near the end of Kermode's rant he mentions West's rant. It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiiiife. It's interesting how Kermode and West focus on entirely different aspects of the movie that are equally deeply offensive.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 2, 2011

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

That would've been it!

That thread title was just a mod messing with all of the Community fans because they talk constantly about their fears of cancellation. There was zero basis for it other than that, it was just a mean (but IMO pretty drat funny) joke.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just started Party Down, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The wife and I just went through Party Down over the weekend. What an excellent show, and what a shame that it won't be coming back. Still, it's nice that it went out without ever having a bad episode, and with something resembling closure.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The show just gets even more ridiculous and dumb. People that are dead come back, traitors are double, triple, quadruble agents, etc.

And yet it manages to get more repetitive and less interesting as it goes on.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

You gonna help, huh? You gonna look out for me? You gonna look out for me, Sgt. Carver? You mean it? You gonna look out for me? You promise? You got my back, huh?

That was heartbreaking, but just amazing storytelling.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think my kneejerk liberalism just registered a false positive, I need to get this thing recalibrated.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

foastwab posted:

Have you watched Parks and Recreation? The first season is a bit weak (it's only 6 episodes) but the second season is brilliant.

The third season was amazing too, it's quickly become my favorite television comedy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AbberantBehavior posted:

Finally got around to watching Breaking Bad after 2-3 years of procrastinating. The bad news is that I finished it in a little over 24 hours. The great news is that the show is arguably my favorite ever, up there with The Wire. I'm thinking about doing Mad Men next.

And it's coming back in just over a month! :slick:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meow Cadet posted:

I tried twice to watch it before, but I could never get past the first 10 minutes or so. But I finally powered through and got HOOKED on Party Down and it is as awesome as everyone says! Wow, what a fun show, I wish there were 3 more seasons of it. I have NO idea why it was so hard for me to get into it in the first place. Gives me hope that I will someday also fall in love with The Wire like everyone else has, since I just don't get it yet.

The Wire grew on me over time. I thought it was good from the start, but it really wasn't clear to me why it was so loved until probably some time in the second or third season, when the scope of what the show was trying to do really became apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm also interested in Parks and Recreation, but I've heard that the first season is pretty lousy.

It's not bad, it's just not as awesome as the rest of it.