Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Grimey Drawer

We watched Warrior Nun on Netflix. One of those that seemed like it might have promise but it was pretty bad and boring. Not campy enough to be fun and not unique enough to be interesting. Acting was ok, effects were ok, but one of those shows that either swamped you with unnecessary inner monologues or expository dialog, and extremely predictable plot twists. I don't know the source material if it matters. I feel like the actors could kind of tell it was bad by the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Currently watching: My Life is Murder. Australian show we're getting on Acorn. Lucy Lawless is an ex-cop who can't keep away from solving crimes. Fairly light, well produced crime procedural. It's not breaking any new ground. We're half-way through the first season.

Recent watches/ re-watches:

Schitt's Creek (we watched on Netflix + Amazon for the last season). It took until about Season 2 to really enjoy it, but later seasons we were really rooting for the characters.

Longmire (watched on Netflix). I have an affinity to this show from spending quite a bit of time out in Wyoming (I know I know it was filmed in New Mexico but whatever). Small town sheriff solves a bunch of sometimes really dark crimes. Mixes crime of the week and long-running mysteries. Realistic police work? No. Nice scenery? yes. Good supporting cast including Katee Sackhoff and Lou Diamond Phillips.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

I watched through The Order on Netflix a week ago. I had never heard of it. It reminded me of The Magicians, but a bit more understated. I liked it more than The Magicians, but I haven't finished all of The Magicians yet.

Started watching this (surprisingly, my wife actually suggested it. Usually I'm the one picking shows with supernatural elements). I haven't seen The Magicians so can't speak to that. I didn't expect to like it but I did. It was a lot funnier than I expected, and seemed to take itself just seriously enough. Haven't started S2 yet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't find it boring, but ... less than the sum of its parts.

It felt like they set out to make a Dr Strangelove biting satire, but once it got green lit and they had to write it they realized that they couldn’t compete with the craziness of real life 2020 and there was a good chance one of their concepts would be really unfunny by the time the show aired so they played it super safe.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It turns out my cousin worked on casting for Alone Season 7. I can try to pass along any questions.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

Can I get a recommendation for cerebral sci-fi TV with few to no aliens/monsters and set on Earth? My roommate has super specific tastes for SF where she loves anything about how people deal with X weird situation but too much blatant "sci fi stuff" will turn her off. So for example we have watched together and enjoyed The Leftovers, Dark, and Lost (her favorite show) but she won't even attempt anything like Star Trek or Buffy - basically if a main character wears latex on their face or they live on a spaceship it's a big no for her.

(I personally think this is ridiculous but w/e it's quarantine times and we're all compromising)

Twin Peaks? The OA?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is the second season of Dead to Me any good?

If you liked the first season you’ll probably like the second season. I liked it. It’s not quite as tight as S1.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Heard some positive things about Lucifer so I've been binging through that the last couple of weeks. Nearing the end of season 3 now and holy poo poo why is this season so long? Feels like it should have ended on ep24 and now ep25 has absolutely nothing to do with the main story line. Like did they just have this one in the can and felt like they should put it out? Hopefully the next one isn't just Generic Lucifer Episode again.

Anyway, overall the show is better than I expected and while it does tend to drag character stuff out like crazy at least the characters are mostly likeable. I don't hate any of them and the actors all do a pretty good job by my (admittedly low) standards. Is the 4th season the first Netflix one? Or is that the upcoming season 5?

Yup, S3 is a bit of a slog, although I ended up liking some of the filler episodes just for being funny and less of emo Lucifer.

The last 2 episodes were filmed for an S4 that was going to air on Fox before it got cancelled and Netflix rescued it, so the aren't continuous after S3.

Lucifer was one of those shows that looked like the absolute worst based on the trailers, and it took me a couple of false starts, but I ended up liking it a lot.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No, S4 is a really tight cohesive season that picks up after (more or less, I won't spoil it) the S3E24 finale. Most opinions I've seen are it's the best season, and the show improved when it moved to Netflix.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm almost through Season 3 of Foyle's War. Slow burn murder-of-the-weeks set in WW2 England. Seems like a step above many of the brit detective series in terms of actors and production. I'm no expert on WW2 but it feels like they are using the backdrop of the war and how it affected people to really good effect in the show.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Totally. Although what turned me off initially wasn't really whether the plots were riveting, it just took me a bit to find Lucifer the character likable or funny. He just seemed like what you'd get crossing an axe body spray commercial with a carl's junior commercial, lots of faux testosterone and nothing redeeming. Even goes to the intro music. There's the snippet of an OOOOOH HARD CORE IN YOUR FACE guitar heavy riff with cgi flames, but then you get into the show and he's playing Creep unaccompanied on the piano. Once I reset my opinion it got way better.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the second series of Doom Patrol, which I found to be much stronger than the first one. Less uneven, with some great performances and storylines. Really looking forward to the third instalment, or, one can only hope, a whole bunch of episodes of Steele & Stone.

Out of boredom I've dug around for shows to watch and gave Wynonna Earp, Cursed, Warrior Nun and The Order a go. The first two were sadly boring and I gave up on them after a few episodes in; Wynonna Earp being too procedural (though it certainly has fun moments) and Cursed which, even though it clearly has a pretty good budget and production value, was somehow unable to engage me at all with its story.

Warrior Nun also has good production values and a decent CGI budget, and the lead actress has the "happy go lucky teenager" act down to a t, but it did not live up to my expectations of, you know, ninja nuns fighting demons. That, and there were a whole bunch of things that did not make sense, story wise. I did end up watching the whole series though.

The Order, finally, proved somewhat of a guilty pleasure to watch: it is clearly made on a shoestring budget and with some people straight out of acting class, but after a few episodes to find its tone, it becomes fairly entertaining - though hardly groundbreaking.

Haven’t seen Cursed and am only part through Season 2 of The Order but I agree with everything you say here.

We just watched S1 of Riviera on Amazon Prime. It felt a little too long and some of the plot was a little hand-wavy, but it wasn’t terrible if you want a slow burn “uncovering the secrets of a rich, dysfunctional family” story. Cast is pretty solid. I’m glad they avoided the obvious plot twist that I thought they were going to drop. Won’t pay for S2 but if it pops up somewhere I might keep going.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix somehow actually works. It looked pretty cringeworthy from the trailer, but we gave it a shot and now are maybe 5 episodes in. Dumb humor and soft roasting of Bible Belt culture, but (mostly) stays away from relying on meanness or gross-out gags.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Acht posted:

Is Lucifer dropping the episodic "case of the week" thing during season 1? We really liked the start, but we're losing interest in yet another murdercase by episode 5 or 6.

Still is the basic structure but they’ve been a little more playful with it in the first half of S5. I don’t want to spoil but if you’ve been on board through S4 then you’ll probably like s5 as well.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I don't remember any weirdness in Lucifer timeline except the end of S3. The S3 finale is S3E24 (and is super-obviously the finale). There are then two "bonus" episodes (S3E25/26) which I think were supposed to land in the Fox S4 and Netflix was kind enough to let us see them. The story picks up from S3E24 directly to S4E1, but the bonus ones are kinda fun. Just watch 'em, it's not that confusing as long as you know they don't belong.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

I just binged Foyle's War which has a fair bit of this in it. It's a British police inspector and his plucky lady driver, solving crimes during WWII on the "home front." Fighting against police and military corruption (and/or homegrown Naziism) is a big factor in like half of the episodes. It's also just a really good show.

We just finished Foyle’s War last night. Would definitely recommend if you’re at all into British period mysteries. They take a lot of care with the historical backdrop.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Our PBS station airs Father Brown in late fall or winter, probably worth checking your local stations. It's not my favorite show, my wife loves it, so we watch it together but I could live without it.

I've seen one and it wasn't bad. I think I've been turned off by the promos on PBS that make it look not super interesting.

I think Bosch is literally too good and intense for our household. We watched the first one or two seasons, but we got to the season that looked like it was going to be about investigating rapes and my wife nixed it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

We just watched High Score on Netflix. It's 6? episodes investigating some of the leaps in the video game industry from the late 70's through early/mid 90's. The episodes often feature developers a player who recounts their experience at a tournament. My wife has zero interest in gaming but she really liked the show, particularly the 8-bit animations they sprinkle in as re-enactments under a voice-over, plus the interviews with players mixed in with home video of them as kids at the tournaments. It hit some nostalgia for me (I'm old enough to remember most of the games they talk about) too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Klaaz posted:

While I really enjoyed this show i really didn't like to see them ignoring the entire 8-bit and 16-bit homecomputer scene in which entire game genres where created.

Also the dumb animations in between scenes

It definitely felt a little arbitrary what they focused on. And I can easily imagine a negative relationship between ones enjoyment of the show and how much they already know about gaming.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I liked the Netflix season of Shaun the Sheep and I just had my mind blown when I looked to see if there were going to be more seasons and discovered not only are there a bunch of old seasons but they're on Amazon Prime. Guess I'm late to the party. I imagine I'll O.D. on these at some point.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My wife and I are watching a couple of shows now. First, Borgen, a danish political show on Netflix. Pretty enjoyable, my guess is it's like Madame Secretary or West Wing light (although haven't seen the first and only a few of the second). We usually do subtitles instead of overdub but they were flashed so fast we couldn't follow them and did the British English dub. I swear the person who does the main characters voice also does voice-over for translated interviews for Deutche Welt or Euromax or one of those news programs. It's a little weird sometimes. Anyway, I don't know if the show breaks any new ground but it's been pretty even quality through the first season.

The other is The Sound on Acorn. Drama/thriller set in New Zealand but with a partially Canadian cast. It's kind of boring and the acting isn't great. Maybe we'll keep going with it, and maybe we won't.

And on my own, finally starting watching the Boys S2. Loving it so far.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

We just finished S2 of Borgen which we liked even better than S1. Highly recommended for a West Wing style show. We were set to go on S3 but Netflix said the British audio track wasn't available. Not sure if it's a technical glitch or Covid related in not being able to get voice actors into studios (show was 2013 but maybe they're just getting around to it now that it's hit an international market?). We went back to S1 and watched the first couple with the Danish audio and subtitles (subtitles were too fast for us to use)-- like the Danish voices better but I think we would have been struggling to catch everything if we'd gone that route.

I checked IMDB and it's showing an S4 release in 2022 so as long as it doesn't go downhill in S3 I'm excited to see it address current day issues.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

Watching 'Criminal: UK' on Netflix and it's such a let down. Interesting premise, great cast, (A different guest plays the criminal each episode, David Tennant & Kit Harrington are two) But the plots are fairly generic and feel like they could do with one more clever twist or so per story, its pretty much always the person is accused of murder and did it, or the person is admitting to murder and is actually covering up for someone else. It has the weird feel lots of Netflix stuff has where it almost seems written by an AI to appeal to as many people as possible, maybe thats even true and they are designed for foreign markets in mind, I noticed they also have a Criminal: France, Spain and Germany on Netflix too.

We watched the first one and it was kind of unmemorable for us. I think it's just a different style, kind of like a true crime story but without the True part.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

For David Tennant crime series, we liked Deadwater Fell more than Criminal:UK, but we liked Broadchurch more than Deadwater Fell.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

We mildly enjoyed Broadchurch S1 but only made it 3 episodes into the snooze-fest that is S2.

S3 picks up again once the trial is over. It's a bit more of a standard cold case mystery.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Remy Marathe posted:

I couldn't even hack the pace of S1 Broadchurch, if something moves that slow it needs to be extreeeemely visually compelling.

I definitely get that... We actually started Broadchurch once and got turned off by the pacing and heavy style. A friend kept gushing about it so we gave it another chance and got hooked. Olivia Coleman and Jodie Whittaker are so good in it. And I thought they did a really nice job with the small town dynamic.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This week we started our latest sitcom that's full of shrill, unlikable caricatures, but everyone assures us it improves dramatically: Schitt's Creek. So far it's very subtle, gentle humor (very Canadian), but there are glimmers of humanity, and I think it's already growing on us.

It definitely gets better. Keep going.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wouldn't you hold on to them in a bit in case some other network picked up the show?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I finished The Good Place last night. Overall I don't know if S4 was the strongest but the finale was pretty great. 4 seasons of how to be a better person and definitely it's the meditation on love and immortality that's going to stick with me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Just watched Wanted, an Australian show from a few years ago that we found on Netflix. It's kind of The Fugitive meets Thelma and Louise. I liked the main actresses and the first season was pretty decent but the later seasons seemed like a drop-off in writing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm 3 episodes into Mystery Road, an Australian slow-burn mystery on Acorn that is, so far at least, vaguely reminiscent of Broadchurch (investigation in a rural town with a local policewoman butting heads with an out-of-town detective). We are enjoying it so far. Beautiful shots of the outback and nice atmospheric music.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's best not to overthink it. Just watch it for the sick Maggie Smith burns and Mr. Carson's eyebrows.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

So many silly things happened in season 3 that I kept thinking "Oh, yeah that is pretty silly" over and over until the actual final shoe dropped and all I could do was laugh. Ugh, Mary is gonna be unbearable in season 4 isn't she....

She's pretty much the worst for the rest of the show.

I'm not sure where our recent Australian kick came from but Netflix caught on and gave us a whole category of Australian shows. Just started Secret City which stars Anna Torv from Fringe and Mindhunter. We're just a couple of episodes in but so far it's pretty good (journalist in danger investigating espionage/political thriller).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm not in love with Secret City. It's not good enough to justify my full attention but there are enough twists-and-turns that I can't watch it in the background while I send work emails unless I have to annoyingly rewind. Does it get better, in either direction?

Yeah, it takes some close attention. Most things were set up but it was often a quick line or how the scenes were cut together, and you have to remember people’s names from 2 episodes ago. We’re definitely going to watch S2.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't know how far you've gone but we enjoyed S1 a lot. Writing and acting was fine, the main actress is pretty captivating, suspenseful scenes usually didn't seem cheap, and the secrets and machinations developed well throughout the season. I liked how it blended the Clancy/Tinker Tailor elements with the more Grishamy/House of Cards elements. Neither are the deepest treatments out there but together it worked for me. It packed a lot in a 6 episode season, and maybe they could have stretched it out a little more. There's a lot you have to infer without being explicitly shown. I guess for me it worked pretty well and I liked being able to fill in some of the blanks while watching. It wasn't perfect – there were a few of those moments that almost every show has "Why is character X doing this stupidly dangerous thing right now", and it maybe could have used another couple of episodes e.g. you could understand the dynamics of the newsroom just from seeing other shows about political journalists but in this show you're almost relying on these other shows for background.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Finally finished S3 of Borgen on Netflix. Still a good political intrigue show but S3 wasn't quite as good as S2. The finale didn't feel like a series ender, but now we're actually getting more episodes so it won't have to be. I'll be interested to see what Netflix does with it in 2022 given it will be an almost 10 year time jump for S4. I also wonder how the tone will change from early 2010's to early 2020's. The show has been, at it's heart, extremely optimistic, and I don't know to what extent that is because it's a few years removed from where we are now or whether that's what it feels like to live in a European democracy.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't know how far you've gone but we enjoyed S1 a lot. Writing and acting was fine, the main actress is pretty captivating, suspenseful scenes usually didn't seem cheap, and the secrets and machinations developed well throughout the season. I liked how it blended the Clancy/Tinker Tailor elements with the more Grishamy/House of Cards elements. Neither are the deepest treatments out there but together it worked for me. It packed a lot in a 6 episode season, and maybe they could have stretched it out a little more. There's a lot you have to infer without being explicitly shown. I guess for me it worked pretty well and I liked being able to fill in some of the blanks while watching. It wasn't perfect – there were a few of those moments that almost every show has "Why is character X doing this stupidly dangerous thing right now", and it maybe could have used another couple of episodes e.g. you could understand the dynamics of the newsroom just from seeing other shows about political journalists but in this show you're almost relying on these other shows for background.

Finished S2 of Secret City last night. It wasn't horrible but it didn't work for us nearly as well as S1. The overall plot/premise seemed less interesting and surprising and there were situations that just seemed more unrealistic for the narrative than in S1. The acting kept it watchable.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I've been vaguely intrigued to start Supernatural but 15 seasons sounds like a death sentence.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lucas Archer posted:

I just finished re-watching the first season of Stranger Things. Whatever came afterwards, that eight episode arc is absolutely fantastic. The way every group of protagonists was working towards the same goal, all with different pieces of the puzzle, and coming together in the end to finish it out is so satisfying. I haven't watching season 2 and 3 in a while, but I feel I can confidently predict they will not be as good as S1 was. If I recall, S2 is the weakest season, while S3 is the middle child.

Just fantastic writing, acting, plotting, and suspense all around.

Fun fact: my mom taught the Duffer Bros in 5th grade.

We just finished the Queen's Gambit . Overall I liked it a lot, but I've got to say the last half of the finale didn't quite nail it. Didn't hate it but... It felt way too "and they all live happily ever after." I got a strong feeling there was another ending but Netflix or whoever wanted something less dark. To be honest I'd forgotten about the dude who's now working the local paper so I didn't need the reconciliation there. The "all the chess nerds cheering over the phone" was OK but I didn't really need it either. They just had her yawn a couple of times during the preliminary rounds but I thought they could have hit a little harder how grueling that must have been to run these long matches day after day and have the pressure of knowing she was basically playing the whole Russian team. And why mention that Borgov wants to talk to her if that never goes anywhere? These are nitpicks in a generally solid show but I felt a little let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

We started watching Brokenwood Mysteries (NZ crime of the week) for about the 3rd time as an escape from the election non-results we were getting. Shows like this really bring home how much better these single-episode murder mysteries can be when they get 90 minutes compared to the 45-50min in US shows. Anyway, Brokenwood usually doesn't get too dark, with good music, beautiful filming, and good detective chemistry without relying on forced interpersonal/romantic drama between the leads.