Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Ok, maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for something to sink my teeth into.

I want an action/thriller/drama series, or even scifi. But I need something that's got longer running arcs. Thought about giving Castle another go, I stopped watching that a while back.

Also, I love reading people here raving about discovering Supernatural. It's awesome.

Sooo, any tips?

Edit: Also, I'm a sucker for any kind of conspiracy stuff at the highest levels of government, or shady government operations/organizations in general.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Babylon 5, Homicide, Farscape, Veronica Mars

Tried Babylon 5 and Farscape, couldn't really get into it. Homocide is on my list, but I still remember how hard it was getting into The Wire (which I have seen twice since). Need something a little lighter.

What else have you got? :)

Edit: actually, I feel like watching some West Wing, but I always forget which are the really amazing episodes. Anyone got any titles for me?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 31, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Oz, Misfits, Being Human, Luther, Sherlock

Ah, that's a good one. Saw some of it on tv when I was younger, but never really got into it. Cheers!

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 31, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

You might want to check out the Shadow Line, a BBC series, 6 episodes of police conspiracy fun

Oooooh, BBC stuff. Loved the new Sherlock Holmes. Guess I've got more than just Oz to take a look at.

And feel free to keep suggestions coming. If it helps, these are some of the shows I watch/have watched.

Supernatural
Alphas
Breaking Bad
SG-1/Atlantis
The Wire
The Shield
True Blood
Falling Skies (I know, alien invasion just does it for me, even if it's often terrible).
Nikita (everybody should watch this loving show. It has no business being as good as it is, but it just is)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

If you like Shield watch Justified.

I have :)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

It starts out kind of weird (it had a different showrunner for the first couple eps I think), but man does it get good. The last 3 eps are some drat good tv.

But then it got canceled so that AMC could make ~*~The Killing~*~. Correlation = causation imo.

Yes, Rubicon was fantastic, if tough to follow. You literally can't take your eye off your screen for a few minutes, or you will be lost forever.

Martytoof posted:

A really short one, but: Mr. Bean.

only a handful of episodes. Generally holds up well. Pretty timeless, really. Only downside is they there's not enough of it.

If you're going to watch Atkinson comedy, go with Blackadder.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Thanks for suggesting Oz. Halfway through season 2, and it is awesome!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

It's been so long, remind me. How did Blackadder change radically after the first season?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Q_res posted:

I just finished burning through the first 3 seasons of Sons of Anarchy. Wow, what a fantastic show. It's gripping in that same subdued way that The Shield is, and the Season 3 finale is pure 'holy poo poo' concentrated to near lethal levels.

Wow, you don't often hear someone this positive about SoA...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just watched episode 6 of Oz season 5. Holy poo poo, Beecher and Schillinger singing together

I want Lee Tergesen and JK Simmons to record an album together.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Exploder posted:

The first season and the first few episodes of season two are excellent, and then it starts to drop off in quality. I got halfway through season two and stopped about a week ago. I will go back to it at some point, but for now I am watching Firefly. I could never get into Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, and I watched episodes 4-7 of Star Wars, and was mildly entertained by them at best. But I am totally buying into Firefly. Too bad it's all going to be over in 8 more episodes :smith:

Don't forget Serenity, the Firefly movie.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

BlazinLow305 posted:

I need a good serialized drama/whatever type show. My only requirement is the plot needs to be interesting, enough to be bingeworthy I guess. I've pretty much seen most popular shows. Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, Sopranos, Misfits, BSG, Lost, Prison break, etc. It would probably be better if I just listed a few I haven't seen and you guys can tell me if it's worth starting.

I've seen Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes get a lot of praise. Are they a serialized type of show? Also in which order should I watch?

I've seen talk of Revenge, but don't really know much about it. I also liked Firefly, but still haven't seen Buffy or Angel, I'm not sure if I'll like those but I imagine I should try them seeing as how it's enough to last me quite a while with all their seasons. I always had the impression they were really....gaudy? cheap? Not that I mind campy stuff like True Blood, I suppose I just caught glimpses before on the CW the past few years and it seemed ridiculous at the time. I guess if they have solid plots and capture interest well I'd like them.

Any advice?

I'll say what I've said before. Give the new Nikita a try. It's only two seasons in, so not too hard to catch up with. And it's so much better than I ever expected it to be. Plots are properly thought out in advance, twists will hit like a brick but make total sense, considering hints you didn't previously pick up on as hints.

Try it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Kekekela posted:

Pretty much my feelings on it exactly. Just started watching V, about 4 episodes in and really enjoying it so far.

By watching, you mean you actually look at the screen while the episode is playing? And you experience positive emotions while doing this? :psyduck:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Cactus posted:

It completely transcended the "so bad it's good" category and then some. Keep watching though and if you like it you like it; gently caress anyone else's opinion. I personally loved watching V but I wouldn't class it as anything other than terrible tv.

This, basically. It's Falling Skies, in that it squanders a promising premise, times a thousand. Towards the end, there's a scene where they are sneaking around where the budgetary constraints are so obvious, I actually laughed out loud.

I watched all of it, so I won't heckle you for doing the same. :)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

solovyov posted:

I'm about to finish the 6th season of The Shield. Or, as I like to think of it, the NO, SHANE, NO! show.

It's amazing in general, but I am concerned about the quality of Katey Sagal's sex life because according to Kurt Sutter sex consists of 2 seconds of face-smashing kisses followed by penis in vagina.

Man, I wish I could watch The Shield again for the first time...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I just cannonballed Person of Interest, second season starts this week. It starts off ok, but the second half of the first season is some drat impressive tv.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

jazz babies posted:

Just totally blew through the reboot of Nikita.

I loved it. The cast was awesome and it was much better than I ever remember anything else related to the name being. I may be biased because they're currently filming in Toronto and I keep running into Shane West, though. :swoon:

Glad to see someone enjoying the show as much as I have so far. You're not biased. It's just awesome.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Philthy posted:

Is this still based off that awesome French film La Femme Nikita?

I have to admit I've never seen the movie. But the new show is one of the best new things on tv in years. I was surprised myself it's as good as it is.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

CubanRefugee posted:

I fully agree. Every person that I've gotten to watch Lost on Netflix tells me that they want to stop watching when they get to about episode 4-5 on Season 2. I say power through it, because it definitely gets better.

I *just* started watching Fringe and just finished season 1. Holy poo poo, what a good show.

Awesome. If you think Fringe is ´holy poo poo´ good after season 1, you should enjoy the rest of the ride.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

spookygonk posted:

Just finished season 1 of Nikita on a week's leave; turns out I had only watched the first three episodes... It moved on further than I thought (expected Alex to be a recruit for at least two seasons). A break from season two with season three & four of The Mentalist, which is far more mellow than Nikita. Don't know why I forget about all this good TV, when I can't find something good to watch of an evening.

Nikita is great and needs to keep on going on. Spread the word, my friend!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

kaworu posted:

Is it weird that my first exposure to the whole Nikita thing was the weird American remake, Point of No Return? I still haven't seen anything else, although I actually would like to watch the original French film because Luc Besson is awesome. It's weird though, because I never really connected that with those cheesy "LA FEMME NIKITA" ads I used to see on the USA network back when I was a kid. I sort of filed that show away along with rubbish like SILK STALKINGS or whatever, back when I was a kid. Is the new reboot really that good?

Yes. Now go watch it. :colbert:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Chamberk posted:

I saw some folks complaining about the opening credits, but the opening credits kinda rule.

The opening credits of...?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

After having seen season 2's finale, I'll just repeat it for anyone who hasn't heard me say it before.

WATCH ALPHAS!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

screenwritersblues posted:

Just finished The Wire and all I have to say is wow, that was the best good to come out in years. The one thing that disappointed me was that when the little kid shot Omar three episodes before end of the series, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping that he would at least make it to the end of the series and show that he was really a good guy, who was trying to save the city and not the bad guy that everyone thought he was. Over all it was a solid series. Good writing, good characters, and great story lines. It's going to be hard to to that series, although I hear that GoT is close.

The only show that comes close to The Wire for me is Breaking Bad.

Also, make sure to watch Generation Kill. Also by David Simon, 6 or 7 part series about the second Iraq war.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I've watched Generation Kill three or four times already. The amount of comedy in it is the most surprising bit, and perhaps even the best part of the show overall.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I'd just like to point out Person of Interest to everyone in here. It's by JJ Abrams Jonathan Nolan (brother of the Batman director). It starts out perfectly average, but halfway through the first season, it really takes off.

It's a procedural, but with several longer running stories that are worked into the plot of the week perfectly, and the weekly storylines are almost always excellent on their own. The villains are menacing in their own ways, and the two main actors are great.

Also, never before has there been a show where a dog was such a great addition to the cast.

In short: go watch Person of Interest.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

harlequin baby posted:

I just started Sons of Anarchy last week. I am on the S4 finale.

Just now, the Assistant U.S. district attorney weirdo walked into the city council meeting with a "sum yung boy" realdoll and a bag of hardcore sex toys. I can hardly type this I am laughing so hard.

S4 took some time to pick up again after after Season 3. The S3 Finale was awesome.

How has Season 5 been so far this year? I might get the season pass.

SoA has become a joke, but reading the thread here after watching the ep makes it worth it, IMO.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Binging through Scrubs again (shut up, Dr. Cox and Neil Flynn's Janitor are hilarious).

Question: if I liked Arrested Development, will I like Always Sunny in Philadelphia? It's on Netflix streaming now and I was thinking of watching it.

What's up, Scrubs buddy! :hfive:

There is probably no show I've watched more often than Scrubs. Seen every ep at least five times.

Rewatching the Shield at the moment. Cherrypoppers is next, and I am not looking forward to watching that one at all...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Toxicirishmn posted:

I've just caught up on all the seasons of Covert Affairs, loving it...need a new series now suggestions?

richardfun posted:

I'd just like to point out Person of Interest to everyone in here. It's by JJ Abrams Jonathan Nolan (brother of the Batman director). It starts out perfectly average, but halfway through the first season, it really takes off.

It's a procedural, but with several longer running stories that are worked into the plot of the week perfectly, and the weekly storylines are almost always excellent on their own. The villains are menacing in their own ways, and the two main actors are great.

Also, never before has there been a show where a dog was such a great addition to the cast.

In short: go watch Person of Interest.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

I'm about halfway through Terriers and I'm loving it... Michael Raymond-James is terrific. Why did this show only last one season?!

I'm also halfway into season 2 of The Shield. The first two episodes or so of the first season felt like a chore, but I'm digging it now. From what I've read in the official thread (no spoilers though), I'm in for one hell of a ride.

Also started on Scandal. I always assumed it would be too soapy for me, but per Goon Recommendation I gave it a shot and it's pretty darn good so far.

There are very few shows that have made a bigger impression on me than the Shield. Enjoy.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twee as gently caress posted:

Exactly. How that doesn't immediately hook someone in, I don't know.

I mean, it kind of slows down during the second episode because the focus is on the I.A. interrogation scenes, but you have so much tension in them as well due to the Assinve err Acaveda/Dutch and the trick that Acaveda pulls on both Shane and Dutch and many great elements as well.

I mean, fine about the second episode possibly, but the pilot?!

drat it, once I'm done with Cougar Town, I'll have to do a rewatch of the Shield. AGAIN. :colbert:

Rewatching the Shield now. On season 5, and I forgot how absolutely creepy Forest Whitaker was in this. Guy makes my skin crawl.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just watched the first eight episodes of Alphas in one day (hey, I'm on vacation) and I'm loving this show.

First of all, it's true: it's Heroes but good. And actually, it's even cooler than that -- apparently the creators were heavily influenced by the research of Oliver Sacks, and all of the super-powers on the show are technically possible given our current understanding of neurology. So no laser-eyes or teleportation, and no invincible superheroes: the Alphas are regular humans with one savant ability.

Second of all: David Strathairn. One of the greatest character actors around, and he's brought his A-game. It's neat to watch how he infuses even the simplest, most banal dialogue with his sense of character. Plus, seriously: silver fox.

Strathairn's character of Rosen is really well-drawn, and only part of the credit can go to his acting. Rosen's a genuinely sensitive, gentle, caring, paternal figure, and he's also a genuinely condescending, meddling, arrogant man, and these two sides mesh so perfectly it seems as though, as self-aware as he is, he himself has no idea that he's not entirely benevolent. His flaws are revealed in little throw-away moments -- for example, in one scene, he gives one of his underlings some kindly advice; in a later scene, the underling teases Rosen by giving that advice back to him in a good-humored way. Given what you know of the man, you expect Rosen to humbly chuckle at the irony and admit his weakness, but instead he sharply says, "Don't be cute," and the conversation moves on. So far (up to 1x08) there have been no big dramatic scenes (or episodes) where Rosen's dark side is spotlighted, but it trickles out in little offhand moments like that and I can't wait to see where this goes.

To expand on this: the writers on the show are exceptionally good at working in character moments seamlessly into the plot-bearing and even exposition-dumping dialogue. The character moments aren't isolated into bookend scenes like a lot of shows do it, or cordoned off into discrete chunks that could easily be edited out for time -- they're worked right into the meat of the scenes so that you learn about these people in a totally organic way. Also, the ensemble cast has great chemistry and there is a lot of humor and teasing that feels so genuine and spontaneous I wonder if it's adlibbed and not scripted.

Basically, something has always got your attention -- whether it be the acting (besides Strathairn, Malik Yoba and Gary Cartwright are putting in really natural and believable performances, and Garrett Dillahunt just showed up as a charismatic but sinister preacher [the best kind :v:]), the premise, the writing, or the cast interaction. It really is a surprisingly good show.

If you liked the first season, you're going to love the second one! Gary is the best.

Still no word on season 3 though :ohdear:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Lord Dekks posted:

I couldn't find a recommendation thread so hopefully this is the best place to ask this. Me and the wife are almost completely up to date on our current show binge (Supernatural and re-watching Seinfeld) and are at a loss what to watch next.

Can anyone recommend any fun to watch procedurals/monster of the week shows? We feel like we've done all the usual ones like X-Files, Fringe, Supernatural, Grimm and Warehouse 13 and have watched most of the more fun crime ones that we've heard of. We mostly like the ones that are a little goofy/silly over the more serious ones, so more along the lines of Sherlock, Burn Notice, White Collar and Castle than CSI and the like. We watched a few episodes of Suits and Psych but neither really grabbed us for some reason despite being fairly popular in TVIV.

Something a little more serious is fine as well, and to that end we enjoyed Mad Men, Dexter, BSG, The Wire, Spartacus (Okay that one maybe isn't so serious...) and Rome etc. We seem to be the only people in the world who couldn't get into Breaking Bad despite watching most of the first season, and Treme and Boardwalk Empire were a bit disappointing, probably because we were expecting another Wire out of them.

This should be something easily google-able but most of the results I find just keep being the same 20 shows listed starting with The Wire, Rome, Dexter...etc.

You should try Alphas. There was a pretty thorough recommendation in here a few days ago. Also, have you seen The Shield?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I've been rewatching The Shield and I'm on the series finale now. The last few episodes have been mighty uncomfortable, knowing everything that's coming. Especially the Vendrell family suicide.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

Watch Alphas instead. Or at least watch Alphas next.

You're right. Skip Heroes, and watch Alphas instead. A superior 'superhero' show in every way.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Ror posted:

I'm sorry I didn't listen to everyone in the world. Including my poor old dad who just wanted a buddy to gush over the show with.

Justified is pretty god drat great. I've only watched the first season, but I have them all and apparently it gets better. I'm just loving the writing and the dry humor. Even the episodes that were just like procedurals were really engaging and flew by as a result. I also thought Timothy Olyphant was just a pretty cool dude, but apparently he's a loving badass. A beautiful badass. :allears:

I duly apologize for not accepting the recommendation earlier.

Well, at least you've seen the light now. Season 2 is amazing, so enjoy :)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Katreus posted:

Started Nikita and scratching that Alias / Burn Notice itch. Surprisingly, I like most of the characters so far, even the handler (didn't like Vaughn in Alias but Michael here seems okay) and bad guys (Amanda is... very good at her job and also terrifying). I think part of the appeal is that everyone seems weirdly, supremely competent and still seems like that even when Nikita is beating them up. A little surprised at how polished it seems for being on the CW.

Also, I'm really liking the contrast between recruit (now agent!) on the inside and Nikita on the outside, both storyline and personality.

Nikita is so much better than it should be, if that makes any sense.

You mention Amanda, but no love for Percy? Now there's a competent bad guy.

Edit: Also, unlike Alias, Nikita doesn't start sucking balls after a few seasons (or at least it hasn't so far).

richardfun fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 18, 2013

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Acrolos posted:

I'm really late on it, but I'm finally working my way through Breaking Bad. I watched the first season when it originally aired, and while I liked it, it never really "grabbed" me. Picking up from season 2 however, I've binged through seasons 2-4 over the past two weeks, and should be finished with the first half of season 5 in the next few days.

After watching this, I'm going to have a hard time finding something to move on to next. I'm thinking that I may move on to Mad Men or Game of Thrones.

I know I'm in the minority, but I watched S1 of Mad Men and it bored me to tears.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The first season is fairly slow-burning, but it gets successively 'quicker' with each season, at least from my perspective. More 'stuff' happens, in terms of plot, and based on whether you think the characters are interesting or not will essentially dictate your enjoyment of the show.

I'd say give the second season a shot if you're not completely finished with the show as it stands, I feel seasons 2 & 3 are where it really starts hitting its stride, and from then on it's much more accessible.

I think I watched three or four episodes from S2 before giving up. Just not my cup of tea, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Katreus posted:

I do like Percy too, but I've been more impressed with Amanda's subtle menace at least up to s1 ep11, esp. the part where she's getting one of the main character's trauma handled in a ... uniquely Amanda way.

Just wait untill you get to season 2. That's when Percy really starts to shine.