Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Just about to finish up season 2.5 of Battlestar (:):hf: Netflix streaming)

Those in the know: Is Razor required viewing after season 3? It's not instant streaming so I'd have to get the disk mailed in.

\/\/\/ thanks guys, i didn't bother to check the episode titles on sn4

beanieson fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd strongly recommend watching The Resistance webisodes between seasons 2 and 3. There's a lot of stuff in there that's paid off in the season 3 opening arc, even if none of it is absolutely necessary to know. They're also still up on Youtube, which is obviously more convenient.

Both Razor and The Plan would probably fit in best chronologically after season 2. If you want to participate in a true BSG experience, you should probably have a painfully long wait between Lay Down Your Burdens and season 3 so watch them then. Otherwise just watch them after you finish the series, both are essentially exposition on stuff you already know.

The Face of the Enemy webisodes are good but only tangentially connected to any particular story arc.

Thanks for this, I had no clue about the webisodes... watching them now :buddy:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Hooooley poo poo, I just finished up season 3 of :bsg: with the two parter Crossroads, and I'm diving into Razor now... this is one helluva ride.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I just finished up Battlestar last night actually. I didn't mind the ending at all, and I felt that really the "angels" explanation had been telegraphed from the beginning.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Then as I got to later seasons and saw the story zoom out, and out, and out again it became clear that it was something else entirely.

This. Being from the New Orleans area, I've got unbelievably high hopes that he does the same with Treme. In the end, the wire was more about the city of Baltimore than any of the characters.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I can't find Justified in my bookmarks, so I think the Thread's shut down... It starts off pretty strong, gets weak for a few eps, and then picks up the pace towards the end again. Finish the season, it's worth it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

You might wanna start that rewatch then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzPGWkBmTI

Oh hells yea

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

just powered through jack ryan on amazon.

it was terrible in pretty much every way, including cringe worthy dialogue, trite scenes / stories / scenarios, and a level of consistent stupidity that makes suspension of disbelief all but impossible

which is a shame because i really liked wendell pierce (who has a key supporting role) in the wire

You need to check out Treme my dude

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

Possibly Archer

Archer definitely took a dip with the weird one off themes seasons it’s been doing recently. The flashback noir poo poo was just meh.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I loved all the early build up but once we got to the testing and I realized its just gonna be some dream sequences I was pretty disappointed actually. Nice to look at though. Fukunaga is a hell of a visual director, but this story just wasn’t for me.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yea just watch and enjoy The Leftovers and don’t think too much about the mystery.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We binged six episodes yesterday, finishing the second season. It's not a happy show or an easy one to watch, but the only one that bothered me (and it REALLY bothered me) was Season 2, episode 5, with all of Matt's never-ending trials and tribulations, culminating in him being cast out of Jarden and taking his place in the stockade. For a character who annoyed me at first, now I feel nothing but dread and doom because nothing good ever happens to him, no matter how hard he tries to be a good person and rise above.

Everything else was amazing, though.

Oh man, Matt has an amazing episode in season 3 where maybe kinda why are you looking here, don’t spoiler this show dummy. You’ll absolutely know which ep I’m talking about when you get there. gently caress me, I’m gonna do a rewatch soon, such a great show.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

AMC’s The Killing was one for the only shows I just stopped watching because it got so stupid. It felt like it was just TWIST AFTER TWIST with each episode building up your suspicions on a particular character. Then the start of the next episode would immediately clear that character by giving some logical explanation for all the suspicious poo poo.

That said, I did like the atmosphere and acting from the bits I did see.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Joke answer:
American vandal

Serious answer:
American vandal

:hmmyes:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

dudemanbudguy posted:

Get Shorty. It reminds me a bit of Fargo with a lot of Coen brothers-esque absurdity and humor. I had zero expectations for this show, but could not stop watching once I started. Super underrated show.

I’m 4 episodes in and yeah, it’s pretty great.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Vernacular posted:

Just finished both seasons by Get Shorty and it was good. Entertaining, standard Elmore Leonard fare. Casting is very on-point, was especially surprised by Chris O'Dowd's ability to carry the show.

Is season 2 available somewhere besides having Epix? I just wrapped up the first season on Netflix and loved it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I’m about to wrap up Black Sails and it’s been a pretty good ride for background action/intrigue while doing other things.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Westworld season 2 gave us the best single episode of westworld, the one featuring the native Americans. Everything else was pretty crappy tho.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I think Jonah can have sex with pixies prostitutes and still be a racist, like that’s not any kind of redeeming quality lol

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Is Dark subtitled? Or dubbed or something? Most of my tv time lately is in the gym and I can’t watch foreign language stuff if I’m not giving it my full attention.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah Leftovers is the rare series that just gets progressively better with each season. I’d stick it out, it’s slow but there’s great stuff throughout.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Google Butt posted:

just finished marco polo and gently caress netflix for cancelling on that cliffhanger

Good news, soon enough you’ll have completely forgotten about Marco Polo just like everyone else.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Been going through The Leftovers with my roommate (who has seen it before). Last night we watched season 2 episode 7, the last two or three minutes of which had me screaming "WHAT? WHATTTT???" at the screen while grabbing my hair with my fists. It's been hard not to cheat and watch the next one while my roommate is at work.

oh man buckle up

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Finished The Leftovers! I maybe admire it more than I love it, but I definitely liked that the entire show was far more about emotion and trauma and the connections between people than it was about the actual plot of the story. I'm always down for experimental television and this is maybe the most experimental show I've ever seen.

Now watch Lost keeping in mind it’s about the same thing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

mystes posted:

I watched season 2 of Jack Ryan and the plot made absolutely no sense.

Oh good I’m just starting it. Season 1 didn’t make a ton of sense either, but it was a dumb fun ride.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

It’s nice to see Jaqen H’gar again tho

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Even cooler how easy it is to meet with a sitting foreign president, tell him off, assault his head of security & not lose your job or anything lol

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Man I’m finishing up Jack Ryan and this has gotten profoundly stupid. They’re storming the goddamn presidential palace on Election Day after already being outed as tampering with the election lmao.

Michael Kelly tells Jim at one point “I know how much you want to assassinate this president but we don’t have authorization” as if they had any authorization to storm the palace in the first place :psyduck:

They straight up murder about 300 palace guards/soldiers during a party with a bunch of civilians present lol

These aren’t the guards at the off books prison camp, these are guards protecting their main seat of government

They made Jack Ryan (who’s already admittedly an unrealistic figure) and turned him into Jack Bauer. I can’t even begin to comprehend the fallout of their actions, they’d absolutely be sent to stand trial for all sorts of poo poo.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

A loving funny show.

(Though, ya know, not perfect)

What didn't you like about it?

Looks like they made a show out of the 5th Element cruise ship scene, except there’s no Chris Tucker, so it’s bad.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Halfway through the first season of Succession and it’s drat good stuff. Someone told me it was a dramatic version of Arrested Development and I definitely see what they were talking about, but calling it a “drama” really undercuts how funny it can be as well.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

My brain read this as “nice list of their titties” and I can’t begin to explain how disappointing the link turned out to be

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Season 2 was pretty good too.

Yeah season 2 is kind of a prequel to season 1, I’d watch them both for sure. 3 was very enjoyable but I think season 2 is the best so far.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Justified starts off strong and then dwindles a bit before becoming great again towards the end of the first season. There’s a few episodes in the middle of that first season where they’re still trying to figure out what the show is going to be, but over all it’s worth watching.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Klaaz posted:

I found the first couple episodes of BCS rather boring and never went back to it, should I? (love Breaking Bad though)

yes absolutely. It’s not a perfect show but it has some really great characters and you’ll really be amazed at how much they were able to do with the schlocky punchline lawyer.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

Better Call Saul is the weaker for never doing anything as nutty as the plane crash

There’s still time 🤷🏻‍♂️

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I’m 2/3rds through a rewatch of The Leftovers and man it just gets progressively weirder and better as it goes on.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Me and my 8yo son watched all 160 something episodes of Batman The Animated Series and it loving rules as hard as I remember it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

If you have Disney+ you should give Gargoyles a try next

Oh poo poo, I’d completely forgotten about that show.

Thank you :wotwot:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Just remember to stop at the first episode of Season 3, also I can't remember if Disney+ has everything in the right order, so double check with Wikipedia to be sure

Does it drop off? I haven’t seen it since I was 13 so it’s hard to judge quality. With Batman TAS for example, I’d completely forgotten that the later rebooted episodes with Tim Drake and Dick Grayson as Nightwing we’re actually a different series. The animation isn’t so great and a lot of the characters look different even though the voice actors are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Chris Elliot can be kind of Tom Green-ish at times