Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really enjoyed Chicago Code. I forget if someone recommended it to me or if I just saw it had Jennifer Beals in it and liked the first episode.

It is only one season of 12 episodes and had a very tight, contained story arc between good cops and bad politicians and them trying to take each other down legally. There wasn't a whole lot of crime solving procedural work done, like in one of the many CSI-esque shows, but it was instead pretty heavily character focused - and I thought they were really strong characters.

I liked how they showed corruption and the impacts of it, and even the villain had some pretty solid personal qualities and decent justifications for the villainous shenanigans.

I enjoyed the fact that there was a strong female lead who really never resorted to 'being sexy' in order to exercise her powers as head of police, she relied on her competency and drive.

Good stuff. Sorry if the recommendation's so short, but whattyagonnado?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am looking to break away from dramas to sci fi. Is Falling Skies worth going through as a Sci-Fi tv series?

It was mentioned on this page, but Fringe is really good. And especially so is Orphan Black, if you want even less high science sci fi.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sweet_jones posted:

How far into Walking Dead should I go before I decide the show is now for me? Having heard so many people talk about loving it I want to give it a chance but 3 eps in I'm kind of :shrug:

Instead of Walking Dead try Pushing Daisies. A much better show about people coming back from the dead.

:V

(but seriously, it's just better)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

Well it's to be expected, I can't wait to see them write their way out of the way Season 2 ended.

They don't, but it's actually perfectly fine because how they do it, too. At first you'll be like, "What the gently caress?" but by the end you'll be all, "Works for me."

It's a very entertaining show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

I was way too young to watch the X-Files and the theme song still gives me the goosebumps. Now that I'm an adult, is it worth watching the whole series through? Or is it one of those things where you had to be 20 in the 90s to really enjoy?

It was a show for adults to begin with. I'd say you would have fun with it, after all, I STILL love Seinfeld.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

I remember there was an episode of the X-Files where they come across this dude that is like a mutant or something, and he would build this paper-mache nest out of paper and spittle to hibernate in and every 7 years come out to kill a dude and eat their liver for some reason. It was creepy as hell.

Please tell me this was an actual episode and not just a fever dream.

That was the stretchy guy, right? Did he also have yellow eyes, or am I making poo poo up?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

He went on to play Percy in The Green Mile. Oh yeah, he married a sixteen-year-old girl. They're divorced now.

To be fair, she looks 40.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

Finally caught up with Sherlock. The last episode might have been a bit calamari while most expected steak, but for now I'm throughly impressed by the brilliance of dialogue and directing. It's a rollercoaster; one of my favorite TV shows for sure.

I'm glad the UK can come up with TV drama that can give HBO and AMC a run for their money.

If you're talking about the wedding episode, yeah, it felt really out of place, but then I just rolled with it and ended up pretty entertained. The bachelor party case stuff was silly fun.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

I can see how it could have felt out of place for some, personally I didn't mind the thematic departure and was instead really impressed with how skillfully it was all put together on screen.

It felt like they were taking Sherlock up to THE EXTREME of his character. The first episode was shocking like that, too.

They've made him become Data, questing for humanity and acting only the most hyperbolic of human ways. It's clearly not THAT bad, but it feels like it was a set & planned show mandate. "Hey you know how he's supposed to be detached from most social intercourse and relations? Well, let's ramp it up a bit."

Wacky Sherlock.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I stopped Supernatural around Season 7 or 8 (the leviathans?) because I was just so. loving. tired of Sammy and Dean's whinefest every episode. I liked Cass, and some other characters, but loving hell the pity/blame/selfhate-fest between those two that the show plays out just RUINS everything good about the show, otherwise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

If you didn't see the end of the Leviathans then you stopped at season 7. Season 8 picked up the pace and was generally better by far. Season 9 so far has been way better, bringing back everything that made the show great in the first place.

Do the brothers still cry in silence when they're alone? Do they still have plot points where they lie to each other and try to be the noble sacrifice instead of working poo poo out with each other right away?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thrakkorzog posted:

Eh, sort of. The big deal now is that Sam tried to do a noble sacrifice to close the gates of Hell, but Dean talked him it out of it. But yeah, they're still lying to each other, and getting angry about the lying.

Then I still stand by my choice to not watch it. :colbert:

I'll just watch outtake clips on youtube for season 8 and 9.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll stop pestering this thread with Supernatural posts after this one, but they've ALWAYS, since like season 5, had the whole "we're a family we should tell each other everything," shtick.

And then they keep crying when they repeatedly lie to each other and get found out.

:qq::respek::qq:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

Caught up on True Detective today. It's okay. Picked up quite a bit the last two episodes, now I'm genuinely interested to see where it goes. Don't really understand all the hype though. It's well shot and well-acted, sure, but that isn't enough to sell me on a show. Maybe if the first three episodes had been condensed into one (cut out a few of those Rust monologues), I'd be on board.

I'm glad you kinda like it, at least.

I feel, however, that it's like a really fancy meal, with subtle hints and flavors and presentation and techniques used for the preparation that would get lost on someone who might not be familiar with those aspects and who is just sorta hungry and wanting to eat.

I think you're watching it the way you watch it, so it's not wrong, but there are a lot of really interesting concepts and executions both technically and narratively that happen and could be missed. There's a lot to the show and I like it because I can actively engage a little more strongly than with many other shows. Also, the acting is really fantastic and the three periods of time are actually pretty distinct with regards to their characters.

All that being said, I have been watching House of Cards and I think it's been pretty fun so far. I guess I was kind of expecting it to somehow be like West Wing, but it's a lot more visceral and intimate and I enjoy that. I still am not a big fan of the soliloquy breaks by Frank, but I like his wife's wavering of self over the show. All in all it's definitely a thing I'd recommend to people.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished watching The Fades. I really liked it and thought the characters were pretty well fleshed out or amusing. It lasted a good amount of time, it's sad it was canceled but six episodes was a really good length for the story it was telling.

It got a bit more supernaturally inclined right near the end, but what happened surrounding that was pretty great, so it was easy to just ignore or overlook.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think Goggins is the only reason to watch that show. I didn't really like it when I was watching. I fell into the sunk cost fallacy at some point.

However, if you like Justified you might also like Banshee. Both main characters play by their own rules. And are the law-ish.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Banshee is fun, but put alongside Justified it comes out looking awful. Also the lead actor has a weird head.

Like somebody kicked in his forehead, yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There was just a whole lot of "I'm the brother who, this time, is going to lie to my brother and be the noble sacrifice and then go cry some."

Every loving episode.

Anyway, I've started watching Chuck and it's not too bad. It kinda feels a little Pushing Daisies in tone at times, but I think I prefer the noir-ish comic style of P.D.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 29, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

The first two seasons of Chuck are pretty solid. The Season 2 finale would have made an amazing series ender. Everything after that though...

At least Morgan becomes much more likable.

I should just stop at the end of season 2? I'll do that. It's nice and cute, but it's not compelling.

vvv - Hahaha.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 30, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's starring Kiefer Sutherland or something, right?

Or am I just thinking about the Lost Boys?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Finished watching the first 2 seasons of Chuck and thought it was pretty fun. I don't know that I'd recommend it to people, but for the most part I enjoyed the characters and thought the romantic aspect between Chuck and seriously the hottest woman on television at the time was done pretty nicely and didn't grate.

I have no desire to watch any more of the series, but the ending of season 2 was a solid ending to the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished watching Seinfeld all the way through. Took a few months. Enjoyed it the entire time. I wasn't even too down on the silly ending, short of having the group die in an apartment fire there's no real optimal way to end a show like that. Fading out with the four of them in the cell was a good point to stop, I felt.

I really liked watching those characters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

You can watch one final Seinfeld episode on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqcqZ2bsIM

There was nothing funny about that. Good lord. It was just...there.

I hope the actors had fun, at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

So is Suits actually a good show, or is it just a bunch of good looking well dressed people saying clever things to each other? I've wanted to check it out but USA original shows seem like such garbage.

Suits is a fun show. It's not grand drama or anything, nor are there twisting plot overarches that blow your mind, but I have watched it all and have been consistently entertained. Fun characters all around.

If you want a better lawyer show, watch The Good Wife. Seriously, I think that show is some great television. But I'd suggest you not pass up Suits because of the pretty people in it - give it the three-episode-jimmy if the first episode doesn't completely throw you off it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 5, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

Finished with this season's Walking Dead. They really don't like little girls, do they.

Only Danny Elfman and Aatrak like little girls.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Greyish Orange posted:

I've watched a few episodes of Modern Family now and I'm not sure whether to continue - it already seems really dated, the humour is very predictable, it's just not as witty as it was hyped up to me to be. Is it worth sticking with?

What? You double down and stick with it, mister! It's one of the better family comedies in this, our modern age.

I've just finished watching Penny Dreadful. It's...weird. I loved the visuals, except for stuck-in-the-90s emo Frankenstein's monster. Like seriously, what the hell is that about? Anyway, this is a real kitchen sink type of plotting in terms of characters and it manages it well enough, I guess.

I love the Vanessa Ives schtick, I think it's pretty cool, and Tim Dalton as the old dude is pretty boss. The cowboy's a cool dude too. It's fun, but I'm not really excited for season 2.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
THeir goal is pretty clearly stated. They're playing whackavamp because that's how they're getting their information.

And really, only Dalton and the girl are on the 'team', everyone else is a paid mercenary.

But you're right in that it feels more 'a day in the life of' than an actual gung-ho 'let's move out, bitches!' story.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vincent posted:

Longmire is such a conservative's wet dream, but I can't help but like the show. I'm currently in the middle of season 2 and it definitely seems like the creators went "what if we made Justified, but with old people?".

I don't know, it makes a big deal about how batshit crazy the conservative dream is, at least the characters who are sate secessionists or whatever are loving nuts.

I have enjoyed the hell out of the show, but I'm not too keen on the direction they've taken it with the current season. It's juuuuust this side of annoying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just saw the first episode of the series Fargo. Really drat enjoyable. Billy Bob's character is like Satan, just a little push or suggestion here and there and everything changes. It's amazing.

This is definitely a series I will watch the rest of. Knowing that Key & Peele would be in it was the impetus that got me started watching the show; but holy poo poo there are lots of recognizable faces in it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, Fargo's pretty loving great. It's just got this nice slow burn thing going on. It's not an exciting show at all, but it's interesting. I really enjoy it. Very well written. I'm not done, but I will be soon.

And holy loving poo poo the guy who played the Hobbit is SUCH a horrible, deprived character. A TERRIBLE human being. Hahaha. He's such an everyman gone bad. Dying is too good for this guy.

What fun. :allears:

Also, Billy Bob is such a good plot character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have three episodes of Penny Dreadful left, and then I have no shows to follow until everything comes back in the fall. I have Amazon Prime and Showtime (until this season of Masters of Sex ends and I cancel it again), and nothing else is interesting me.

I've seen and enjoyed most of the modern classics, but I either didn't like or don't think I would like The Sopranos, Mad Men, Friday Night Lights, or Battlestar Galactica.

Give The Americans a shot. It's a great show. Really good acting and it's about deep-cover Russian spies in America.

You've probably already seen True Detective. My favorite show of the past year, definitely.

Terriers is a really good show, but it's not recent, although not many people I know have seen it.

Orange is the New Black is kinda lacking in the plotting, but is a pretty fun show.

Mad Men was pretty interesting. It got a bit much in the self pity direction, but I thought it was done really well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The better football-themed version of Friday Night Lights is Blue Mountain State, of course.

:c00lbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
True Detective is so loving GOOOOD. It's one of the few shows where I paid attention to both the story/acting and the cinematography. Beautifully shot and composed.

Astrofig posted:

The football wasn't the point though---I honestly don't see how a show centered purely on football could be anything but crashingly boring.

Haha, I was being ridiculously sarcastic. BMS is a crass football/sex college campus comedy of the MTV-esque generation. I enjoyed it, but even I felt there was too much sex when they should been adding other jokes. And I'm a sex machine.

more to the point, I think a football themed show, whether it is the point or not, will tend to have some forms of hypermasculinity that can be a turnoff for some people. As to your other point,sports in general have a theme of overcoming diversity or some form of communal development - so even a 'pure' sports show would have that human element to play with.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 10, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You have a lot of similar shows and levels of enjoyments as I do - except I enjoyed the hell out of Scrubs and the ending of season 8 teared me up like a bitch. I don't talk about season 9. I saw three episodes. :911:

Angel buddy. :unsmith::respek::geno:

You should watch Fargo. God drat is it good. I just finished it up. I mentioned it a page ago.

You should also watch Shameless. It's so loving good.

You watch Fringe yet? It's really good. Really good. it starts out as kinda an X-Files-ish show and then goes amazing. Some people say it had a slow start, but I'd say it just changed plots and structure after a while, for the better.

Suits is a really good show. Some really nice surrounding characters in it.

The Good Wife is one of the best, most entertaining television shows I have seen. It's so good.

Chicago Code I really enjoyed. It's one season but man, it really was great.

I have found myself enjoying Longmire more than I feel I should. I kept watching it while I stopped watching Justified (but Dewey Crow is a better character than many things on TV). It moves at a slower pace, but drat if it doesn't feel like a show about a sheriff in Wyoming. I like the Indian reservation culture aspects, even though I also feel it gets shortshafted a bit. Still, they're there.

The first two seasons of Chuck (and ONLY the first two seasons - unless you thought the last minute of season 2 was interesting to you) I saw a few months ago and thought they were pretty fun. Fun TV, not good TV. It was consistently fun and maintained my enthusiasm.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 10, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No More Heroes posted:

I just watched all of Haven on netflix because Emily Rose is amazing :v:

Is Haven like a non-comedy version of Eureka or something? My mom mentioned she liked it, too, but didn't really describe it to me very well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

Also, the whole cast started to dislike/hate him before he left.

He seems like such a chill dude, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Whenever actors start having philosophical qualms with the fictional work they are a part of, I have to assume it's actually a money thing and they were looking to save face.

Nah, remember when Jim Carey started taking the poo poo out of Kickass 2? Apparently old people think too hard about violence.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Metal Loaf posted:

I've recently started watching Highlander: The Series. It's endearing mid-nineties camp for the most part. I was only able to get the German DVDs, which I think have a lot of episodes out of order, but as far as I'm aware it isn't especially serialised, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

I used to love the Highlander TV show on USA. Man. You gotta watch Sorbo's Hercules and Lawless' Xena and then Quantum Leap for all your 90s camp needs, as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

Is Six Feet Under worth watching? I've liked the Wire, True Detective, some of Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad.

Also, does House of Cards start to get better? I really was liking it until it seems like they took a complete turn in the 8th episode of season 1 where is seems like Frank is gay all of a sudden from some completely off the wall things that happened with a friend in college. It seems like it went back to normal at the end of the episode, but I haven't had time to watch it again.

If you liked it until then you'll keep on liking it.

That wasn't a complete turn, either, it fits the character, but it's not as extreme as you may think. It's just another aspect to the guy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All this yakkity-smack about You're The Worst made me watch the first two episodes, and I have to say, it's REALLY a good show. It is entertaining and well done, and sometimes manages to hit some emotional situations.

It's no True Detective or the first two seasons of American Horror Story (gently caress you, Coven), but it's really nice. Hopefully it stays strong through the rest of its season.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Laverne died?

Jesus it's been YEARS since I've seen the show. Loved what I remember of it, though.