Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
e

4665c1074f50

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

HeebHustler posted:

halfway through season 1 of Carnivale

simply amazing at times, but i fear of what is to come when the show abruptly ends after season 2. quick, someone recommend me something to start watching when this ends.

i have seen all of these in their entirety the last couple of years: Oz, The Wire, 24, Six Feet Under, Rome, Freaks and Geeks, Seinfeld, S1 Sopranos, S1 Dexter, S1 Heroes, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and both versions of The Office.

it seems like watching all of the Sopranos would be the obvious choice, but given that list and being most fond of HBO shows, what would you pick?

The Shield? Also If you liked Dexter imo season 2 is better.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a thread for From Dusk Till Dawn? Been binge watching this after seeing the movie for the first time and not expecting much. At first it seems like a pointless re-telling of the movie but after a few episodes it really comes into its own and gets pretty addictive.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Red Dwarf. Corny but fun sitcom set in space, its surprisingly self-aware and ahead of its time for what I expected. Just finished the season 5 finale, the one where the gang wake up from a simulation and find out Red Dwarf was just a game they had been playing. I knew the show stopped for a few years and then came back, so I figured this was an actual finale they ret-conned later on, and was kind of disappointed when you find out it was all a hallucination.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
60 Days In . Holy poo poo this is insane, how have I only just heard of it? Some of the stuff seems to crazy to be real (Robert) but I don't see how it can be fake.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its good, but I wonder if Im alone in disliking the main character acting? He just not good at playing a deranged person, he looks kinda like a teenager pretending to be retarded for laughs

turn ur tv on

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Im up to Season 6 of rewatching 24 and the politics in this season are so weird, especially since I'm sure the show had been in trouble for the racist stuff and was tryna be more fair by this point. The only way any of it makes sense to be is if there is one ultra right wing writer and one centerist arguing over every episode, so far we've had:

-Kal Penn's character gets attacked by evil racists and saved by the good guy! But then it turns out he is actually a terrorist so I guess the racists were right to try and kill him?

-Muslims being rounded into camps, this is portrayed as a bad decision by the evil politician, but again loads of terrorists end up being in the camps so it was right again?

-CTU agent Nadia gets profiled for being Muslim, to which one character responds 'for god sake she's a republican!'. I cant even understand what message they are tryna convey here.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
My girlfriend has been binging Pretty Little Liars and I've been half watching it in the background, and holy poo poo I had no idea what the show was and presumed it would be a typical teen drama kind of thing, but as the show goes on it becomes so bizarre, full of weird references to Hitchcock and old movies as though the director was bored, and in the last few seasons its basically started to turn into Sci-Fi with insane traps being set up by A that seem like something out of a Saw film, its so much more fun than I was expecting. Plus secretly shipping Ezra and Aria

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binging though Six Feet Under with the gf, halfway through season 4 now, some stray thoughts.

- Brenda and Billy in season 1/2 or so were the most annoying characters in TV history. I figured Brenda caused the fire in S1 and had no idea they would last this long. Slowly however they have become two of my favourite characters, I think the writers stopped writing Brenda as the smartest person in the room, and her mum took over the annoying crown. Im not interested in this relationship with Justin Theroux at all though.

- Lots of surprising cameos and cast I didn't expect. Adam Scott, Anna Gunn, Justin Theroux, lots of AHS cast. Rainn Wilson's character was amazing, James Cromwell is good too but I can't see his character going anywhere too interesting.

- Keith got in trouble in his job for using the toilet at the Ellen Show, the same week Ellens been in the news for her workplace being under investigation, made me laugh.

- The last episode we watched was the one where David gets kidnapped. I'm not sure if i loved or hated it. It was pretty intense and I love a good bottle episode, but the kidnapping itself seemed a bit too out of the blue and too much for this show, it was like something out of 24, complete with loads of stupid action cliches when David gets away and then just hides around the corner instead of running of, only to be caught again.

- End of show predictions: I've picked up through cultural osmosis, I think the show ends showing every main characters death in the style of the opening credits, I think even The Simpsons did a parody of it. I think the actual finale will revolve around Nate's death though. Perhaps the thing in his brain comes back, and he will reunite with Brenda in some way before his death, either marriage, or she might adopt the baby.

E: I almost forgot to say Michael C Hall is INCREDIBLE on this show. He fits into the roll perfectly and I can barely imagine him as Dexter after it anymore. David and Keith are the best part of the show in general, their relationship and chemistry is so cute.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 29, 2020

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Is 4 considered one of the strongest or weakest? Season 2 was by far the weakest for us, the whole thing just seemed full of annoying relationship drama with a lot less of what made the others interesting.

Gilmore girls was the show we binged last too so it was funny to look up Nate and see he's in a relationship with Lauren Graham. Especially as there have been at least two jokes in SFU against Gilmore Girls.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finished the Six Feet Under finale.

- We knew the basic ending that everyone died, but holy poo poo we were not ready for that. When it cut to Keith and we realised what was happening we just lost it, couldn't stop crying through the rest of it, teared up again watching it this morning, such a horrible thing to happen to Keith after everything else. At least David still had the kids to remember him by.
-There was some funny stuff too mixed in with the tears, Billy talking to Brenda to death about Claire in the nursing home. The bizarre makeup, I swear David looked like 50 years older in scenes where George and Keith looked exactly the same as usual.
-I read afterwards they only came up with Nate dying three episodes earlier and everyone dying in the finale whilst they were writing the final season. I'm surprised they didn't have it in mind from the start it was so perfect, it was a great choice to have the Nate stuff a few episodes earlier to give everyone time to grieve.
-Its one of those things that I think will stick with me forever, I hope I never forget it. It's made me think about my own life and mortality more than any piece of media ever. So incredible.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I cant imagine watching the show soon after a death, I think it would break me more than it did already. Yeah the use of the song is great, they timed it beautifully like a music video to go along with the emotional beats.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Tin Star with Tim Roth and Christina Hendricks, just as an easy watch and heard that the third season was filmed in our home town (Liverpool/St Helens) so was curious to check it out.

Just watched first episode of Season 2. As a decent knockoff 24, it went off the deep end so much this episode. Amnesia AND a cougar? Its like a homage to the worst 24 episodes ever. I'm still enjoying it though, i think it was supposed to be a bit of a Shining homage, with the characters stuck walking through the snow, and I noticed the overlook carpet in the hotel. Seems like they don't have much plot planned for this season either.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching 'Criminal: UK' on Netflix and it's such a let down. Interesting premise, great cast, (A different guest plays the criminal each episode, David Tennant & Kit Harrington are two) But the plots are fairly generic and feel like they could do with one more clever twist or so per story, its pretty much always the person is accused of murder and did it, or the person is admitting to murder and is actually covering up for someone else. It has the weird feel lots of Netflix stuff has where it almost seems written by an AI to appeal to as many people as possible, maybe thats even true and they are designed for foreign markets in mind, I noticed they also have a Criminal: France, Spain and Germany on Netflix too.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Only just watched the kit Harrington one now actually and I was only half watching at this point but he seemed to play some posh guy falsely accused of rape which was really gross.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Veronica Mars, up to mid season 3. Every time weevil comes up on screen i've been singing the weebls wobble song and now I've just seen that 'weevil wobbles but he doesn't go down' is the name of a future episode, I guess I have the same sense of humour as this stupid but fun show.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Supernatural. Towards the end of Season 4 now, enjoying it a lot more than expected. Its a lot more self-aware and meta than I was expecting given what I feel I've seen of the fanbase.

Highlights so far The groundhog day episode with the Trickster, really hoping he comes back once a season or so, any of the meta or self contained episodes, the one where they worked at the office, the one at the school, the jump the shark episode where they get a new brother..

Worst part has been the godawful hidden camera episode ghostfacers or whatever they were called, it felt like a failed spinoff pilot, really hope they don't come back too much in the future, and also any episodes too into the overarching story are usually bad and taken way to seriously, Castiel has no personality at all but I presume they will develop him later. Oh and that episode on the film set was pretty bad.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binging House after half watching when it aired, up to Season 8 now. Man this season is so unpleasant to watch, after 7 seasons of growth house crashes his car into Cuddy's house and just reverts back to his original self. Cuddy's not in the final season at all, it says online it was a pay dispute thing but surely there must have been something more, it basically feels like a spin-off with so few characters remaining.

They could have done something like Mad Men, where House slowly getting older, less respected, fewer friends and more pathetic was an intentional choice, but I'm not sure how much it was. The one story I've enjoyed is Foreman's realistic character growth from someone who looks up to House, to his boss who genuinely seems to dislike and no longer respect him.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Thwomp posted:

This needs more attention because holy poo poo is Sarah Paulson so, so good.

I didn't even realise it was her till this post, jesus.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Mid Season 3 You , I lost it at chekov's crossbow fight. The whole swinger episode in general is amazing. The show keeps getting better as it takes itself less seriously, its basically a more self-aware, funnier, less predictable Dexter.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

The thing you have to consider is that the scenes are from Joe’s perspective of what happened and may be unreliable. I think a good example of this is the scene where Joe yells and punches a wall but the surveillance footage Theo finds is Joe actually hitting Love.

I'm sure he's just seeing him hit the wall?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Episode six uhhh it was last year and you watch a lot of shows so I get it, but I'm guessing you forgot the bit where the Tory is pathetically ranting to his father about how he'll go vigilante to help the police capture the black youth in order to hide the source of his dirty money?

I don't remember specifics at all but no he's completely right that the politics was lame as gently caress. I remember the message basically being, look how annoying this racist guy is, also look how annoying this leftie black woman making everything about politics is! Maybe the truth is they should both lighten up and be friends.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finished Season 2 of Kevin Can gently caress Himself. I think the ending was a bit disappointing. Structuring the show the way it is, you're basically waiting the whole show for the "punchline" of seeing Kevin in the real world, theres almost a horror feel to it of waiting to see him, and then its just a bit of a letdown, and he's just kind of the same as normal and its not that dramatic a scene. I read the creators weren't even sure about seeing him or not, and thought we'd already go the jist of it with his friend character, but I think they really mis-read what show they had created tbh because that was the most important bit.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah that makes sense I guess that its intentionally underwhelming in a way to show, yeah Kevin is just the dick we already think he is, there's nothing more to it, but it just didn't work for me as an interesting finale I guess.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binged the whole of The Crown recently. Surprised there's not a thread here. As someone not interested in the royal family at all I absolutely loved it. It's so impressive that they have managed to pull off a consistent narrative taking place over 70 years, with three actors playing each character who are all great, all look like the real people, and also all look like and embody the actors who came before.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We are maybe 2 episodes from the end. Somehow Phillip is the most sympathetic royal this season which just seems wrong.

I feel like Phillip definitely got the most generous portrayal across the board compared to his real self.

Did you have to stop and check Prince Charles break dancing was real too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60XvRbJ_qZo

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Rewatching parks and rec as a background show atm, I think it really holds up. Around seasons 3-5 it hits its stride and is so good. It really does have that feel of a real life classoc Simpsons, all the characters are so well defined at this point that it just seems effortless to play them off each other in various combinations and situations. Some suprisingly emotional moments too like the wedding / any time the characters/town support each other.

Not quite finished S7 yet but it is definitely the weakest. They seem to be spending every episode just doing a farewell tour of all the characters. Tom was the one bit of the show that did not work for me at all. He was just too unlikeable and childish and his redemption arc came out of nowhere. Seemingly no consequences of his credit card debts, starting random businesses, enough of the other characters got happy endings that I don't see why he needed to get married too, his character still had a long way to go. (Unless something changes in the next few episodes).

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

Rewatching parks and rec as a background show atm, I think it really holds up. Around seasons 3-5 it hits its stride and is so good. It really does have that feel of a real life classoc Simpsons, all the characters are so well defined at this point that it just seems effortless to play them off each other in various combinations and situations. Some suprisingly emotional moments too like the wedding / any time the characters/town support each other.

Not quite finished S7 yet but it is definitely the weakest. They seem to be spending every episode just doing a farewell tour of all the characters. Tom was the one bit of the show that did not work for me at all. He was just too unlikeable and childish and his redemption arc came out of nowhere. Seemingly no consequences of his credit card debts, starting random businesses, enough of the other characters got happy endings that I don't see why he needed to get married too, his character still had a long way to go. (Unless something changes in the next few episodes).

Just finished the finale and that was such a letdown. A SFU style ending should have been a recipe for success, but it was hard to feel too emotional about any of it when they had already been taking a victory lap the whole of the final season.

E: wow critical response was VERY different than my thoughts.

wiki posted:

IGN gave the episode a 10 out of 10, calling it a "masterpiece".[3] Additionally, Alasdair Wilkins of The A.V. Club gave the episode an "A" rating, stating that "the experience of watching 'One Last Ride' was something [he's] not sure [he's] ever had before with a television show", praising the phenomenal end to the series.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 30, 2022

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Vera is a great show

I know this as the show my mum falls asleep to half way through every episode. It genuinely looks like the most boring show I’ve ever seen and I’ve not been able to follow it for more than five minutes without zoning out.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finally binged the whole of Schitt's Creek after everyone raving about it a year or so ago. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't really find it laugh out loud funny, it was really just a good comfort show to watch in the background. It definitely gets better a few episodes/seasons in when they get rid of most of the conflict and its basically just the characters being nice to each other. They quickly made the family less privileged and self centered, and wisely changed characters like Roland from antagonistic to more just annoying but friendly.

The best part of the show is David for sure. The way that they handle David's campness and bisexuality is so refreshing. There is no homophobia and no-one ever judges him for it, it seems like it would have been so tempting to do a storyline like that, especially being set in a small town, but not doing this and pretty much portraying every single character as a good and well meaning person deep down makes the show so much better.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Meatgrinder posted:

God I wish he was in more stuff. He's the reason I kept watching Community even after Donald Glover left.

He had a community reunion with Alison Brie in the new film Somebody I Used to Know if you've not seen it. It's a fun film if a pretty by the books romcom easy watch.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binging through Patriot after seeing it recommended on here so much, 3/4 of the way through the first season and really enjoying it. The offbeat pacing of the story is really weird, the way it jumps back and forth through different stories and timelines, repeated scenes etc, I'm not sure if its badly edited or everything has a greater thematic reason that I'm missing half the time. Still really interesting and unique show though, definitely recommend for any Barry fans. One storyline I am not enjoying is him loving with the guy he pushed in front of the bus. It feels like its supposed to be dark comedy but the guy is too likeable for it to work and its hard to watch him deliberately mess with the guys mental health .

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo Season 2 of Patriot is on another level. Watching it slowly to savour it. I love how it’s just transformed into this shaggy dog story with each plot line making everything more complicated and adding all these characters going of doing their own thing. The (one take?) scene of them robbing the gun from the convenience store was incredible.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finished Patriot. So sad it's over, it really looks like this show got hosed over reading about it now. A year between the pilot and the first season, another year and half before the second, and then cancelled. Looks like a lot of the creators other projects have been cancelled or lasted a season or two as well which is a shame. I feel like it could have fond a real following, maybe if it just came out a few years later. Random thoughts:

-Luxembourg looked beautiful. I'm glad I didn't book a trip before I looked it up and found out it was all filmed in Prague, that explains it lol.

- I will never forget the way Terry O'Quinn delivers the lines about John being back 'smoking on the weed' lmao. Terry O'Quinn was so great and understatedly funny in this.

- I loved the reveal that (I think?) Chris Addisons character hadn't gone crazy and started counting jellyfish for no reason, he was actually counting them worried because he knew John would be swimming across soon? I can imagine how pleased the writer was with himself when he realised he could involve literal jellyfish into the plot.

- In my head I feel like John would have a happy ending. He wasn't too far gone as seen when he actually was able to have fun pretty quickly whenever he got a break. We know his dad gets caught a few years later anyway, plus it seemed to have reached a tipping point with his mum, brother, wife all turning on the dad. I don't think his dad is necessarily a monster, I think he would have soon realised he needs to let John get out if he wants to keep his family.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I only half know the original but is it still about them stripping at all or no? I'm not sure if its weirder if it is or it isn't.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Its wild how weak the first half seemed compared to the second. It made me think I'd misremembered the show and didn't actually enjoy it that much until it got going.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Been watching and enjoying Guilt, Scottish BBC drama about two brothers who cover up a hit and run. Towards the end of Season 2 now.

Usually in this kind of show you would have everything that happens lead from the initial hit and run incident, its kind of weird how a couple of episodes in they abandon this and it turns out to be a show about max's dodgy money laundering that started before the show.

It really felt like a one season show and I was curious how they would continue. When I saw the first scene in S2 I thought this was going to be an anthology of different guilt related stories so I was glad to see max pop up again next scene. I like the way S2 is feels more or less like a spin-off with the same characters. It has the feel of a series of loosely connected novels sharing characters, rather than feeling the need to continue everyones stories.

The former alcoholic detective is great, I'm glad he got a bigger role this season, Max is awful from day one but great to watch.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

Been watching and enjoying Guilt, Scottish BBC drama about two brothers who cover up a hit and run. Towards the end of Season 2 now.

Usually in this kind of show you would have everything that happens lead from the initial hit and run incident, its kind of weird how a couple of episodes in they abandon this and it turns out to be a show about max's dodgy money laundering that started before the show.

It really felt like a one season show and I was curious how they would continue. When I saw the first scene in S2 I thought this was going to be an anthology of different guilt related stories so I was glad to see max pop up again next scene. I like the way S2 is feels more or less like a spin-off with the same characters. It has the feel of a series of loosely connected novels sharing characters, rather than feeling the need to continue everyones stories.

The former alcoholic detective is great, I'm glad he got a bigger role this season, Max is awful from day one but great to watch.

Just finished S2, highly recommend for anyone looking for an easy watch BBC drama/crime thing. Whole thing rests on Mark Bonnar’s performance. They don’t even go the mad men/breaking bad route, the main character is just clearly a bad person from day one but you for some reason root for him to turn it around just based on his charisma.

The brother is definitely a weaker character. He just has on trait, nice guy who’s into music and that’s basically it. Was a good move promoting the moustache detective to co-lead, he is the heart of the show and it’s great seeing him evolve from a joke character to the moral centre of the show.

S2 ended on a massive anti-climax, with Max flying to America to his brother and evading the big shootout. I could see someone being disappointed but it kind of worked for me. It’s hard to tell if this show is well written or just made up on the fly, it’s wild how far it diverges by the end of each season. Like for a show called Guilt, I presumed S2 would focus SOME on the woman dealing with the guilt from killing the guy in the opening scene, but it seems like everyone forgot about that two episodes in.

I just looked up Mark Bonnar typing this and it says he’s only in 8 episodes, so unless that’s a mistake it sounds like he won’t be in the third season so be wild to see how that works.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Up to the last episode of House of Usher and looked up some stuff, and holy poo poo I had no idea that was Mark Hamill. What a phenomenal performance.