Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I went through Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I honestly just want to take a shotgun, an M16, couple of grenades and go to a rampage through Fox headquarters.

Then I want to marry Summer Glau.

At least Firefly got a decent conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I went through Firefly again!

Now why did I do that?!

Shortly afterwards I learned that Whedon designed the show to go for seven seasons.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

contrantidipsomania posted:

I binged through The Wire not long ago while I was between jobs. I'd tried to watch it a couple of times before, but I never really gotten the moment when you realize just how amazing the wire is. Some of my friends had given it really positive reviews and tried to get me to watch it, but generally when that happens I worry that they've oversold it and I don't end up enjoying it as much as I should have. But god drat.

The only disappointing thing about The Wire is that I'll never be able to watch it for the first time again.

Eh, I think it's even better to watch afterwards, you get all the nuances.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Started watching Justified.

Is it just me or does every episode have the same formula and progression with slight variables?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Good.

I like the main character, I just think the show spends way too much time on the different set of stupid assholes he's chasing every episode.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Okay, so I started watching Spartacus.

Still on the first episode, just wanted to pop in and say...gently caress anyone who said that the first episodes suck. I put this off for so long because I thought it would be like, unbearable or something.

This is loving amazing. I think I've seen more gore in the first 40 minutes then in my whole life before that combined.

Not every show needs to be the Wire or anything.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Started watching Parenthood. I think the character interactions are pretty great, but I'm so going to have a drinking game with this - a shot when a character gets teary eyes.

Two shots if it's Lauren Graham, who I'm pretty has cried in every single episode thus far.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Started watching Scrubs...it's pretty funny, but half of the plots are

*Someone says something*

J.D: Don't say/do this incredibly dickish thing and be a total dick

J.D: "Hey, I'm a huge dick!"

Someone: "Oh my God, how can you say that, you are a horrible dick!"

J.D: "No! Why did I say that! I'm terrible!"

*J.D. makes an totally inadequate apology but for some reason gets forgiven*

*people continue to hang out with this dick for some bizarre reason*

and rinse and repeat

I actually like every other character a lot, but this is starting to get a bit old by Season 3. Does he get to be any less of an rear end in a top hat as the show goes on?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I can handle the head in the clouds thing, it's the fact that he seems to be a horrible person otherwise that kind of grates on me. Not too big on rear end in a top hat protagonist shows.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I can't get through the first season of Mad Men. I feel like I should like this show somehow, and everyone else does, but it just bores me a lot and I don't really like the characters. I suppose I need some crime/war/etc angle in my historical shows.

Also, apparently the 60's creep me out.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 6, 2011

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Obeast posted:

It's funny that I've never seen anyone mention Cranston guest starring on Seinfeld. Everyone seems to remember him as the dad on Malcom in the Middle, which I never watched back when it was on, but I hear it was actually a pretty funny show.

It's really really really really funny and Cranston is the funniest thing in it. Watch it now. It's surprisingly edgy too and hides in a lot of innuendo that I couldn't get as a kid - especially when the show progresses. I'd easily put it on my top ten favorite shows of all time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

Archer - Best animated show on TV and arguably the funniest. One of the best pilots that really gives everything you need to know about the show. Comedies are VERY hard to be funny right away in the first episode- this was funny right away. If James Bond were an rear end in a top hat, he's be Archer.

James Bond is a tremendous rear end in a top hat. However, if he would be a giant manchild with horrible mother (and crocodile) issues, he would be Archer.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Deadwood.

Wow. Just...goddamn.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I love watching this series every few months only to get frustrated as gently caress at the stupid non-resolution non-ending.

I don't know, the ending wasn't so bad for me...almost fitting in it's futility. Defenitely worth watching season 3 because it has so many awesome moments.

Not that I wouldn't have preferred six seasons and a movie. Oh, to be an eccentric billionnaire so I could fund all the shows I want...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

I had the show pitched to me as almost as good as Breaking Bad, but not quite. I don't think it's an apt comparison.

Ahaha, not even close. Not to slam on SoA but...I kind of want to punch whoever said that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

A Violence Gang posted:

Four episodes into Southland. Liking it well enough so I don't mean this to sound too pejorative but right now it just comes off as if someone tried to make The Shield without the Strike Team plot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just really curious when and how this evolves from "very competent but unremarkable cop stuff" to the way people talk about it now.

A lot of little things strike me as weird. The tags up front showing someone at the end of the day with that little bit of narration? Seems like a conceit you'd use in the pilot and then drop. They're showing enough (admirable) restraint in not using that for "how the gently caress do they end up in that situation?" hooks that I'm not sure what the point is. Also not that I'm well-versed in these things but something about the editing, the rhythm seems off... like scenes are being split in half for no reason.

Just me or do they go out of their way not to teach you any of the characters' names?

Same here.

Between this and being balls out bored with Mad Men (Season 1) I think I'm retarded somehow.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Don't watch season 4. Seriously. One of the episodes involves the Spear of Destiny. It's loving awful.

Oh yeah, and they got that female member.

"Sure, we are a super secret organization where even the slightest utterance of our existence gets you fired and/or possibly murdered, where only President and maybe five other guys in the government even slightly suspect our true purposes...but sure, random military/secret agent chick, since you asked you can totally be part of our operation! "

Yeah, I stopped watching few episodes after that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, just stopping by to tell everyone to watch the Good Wife.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Jethrosoup posted:

Recently finished watching the entire run of Malcolm in the Middle on Netflix. Highly enjoyable.

Yeah, one of the most underrated shows of all time. The jokes are funny, it has BRYAN CRANSTON and it gets kind of edgy and dark at points too.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I've been going through the Middle. It's pretty funny!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, it actually kind of slows down after the pilot.

You start all, man, he sure is an anti-hero. He won't play by the rules, he beat that pedophile, it's all pretty sympathetic thus far. I like this-

*bang*

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 27, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Agree with all of the above.

Watching the Scandal, almost finished with the first season. Can you say the most badass first lady ever GODDAMN

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I guess I have to rewatch it because I thought it was a sort of a mediocre show. With Rosen as the saving grace, though. Too "monster of the week" for me. But maybe I never picked up on the good stuff.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Think Archer is my next binge. I'd never seen any of it before (not counting goon avatars) and I'm really liking it after the first three episodes.

I envy you for a four season binge. Be careful not to overload on funny because it only gets better and never stops.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Parks and Recreation is one of the like, three shows where I just say to people "Skip the first season and just start from two."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Malcolm In The Middle for what has to be the fifth time.

It has to be the most underrated comedy show ever. Every single episode is pure, utter gold. If you haven't watched it yet, do so immediately.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Jumps the shark really quickly though IMO. Malcolm becomes a whiny teenager...

Yeah, and the show acknowledges what an rear end in a top hat he is, and well, teenagers are assholes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

MrGreenShirt posted:

Absolutely keep going with it. I was just like you when I first started watching and it was only after making it through more than half of the first season that the show switched from ho-hum crime drama to one of my favorite shows currently in production. Here's a quote from the Person of Interest S2 thread's OP that lays things out and made me want to make the effort and power through the show's weak opening.

Seriously, stick with it!

Dropped off around episode 3 but this sold me on continuing!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Continuing on Person of Interest, we are three episodes into season 3 now and it has started getting seriously good. Particularly the last bit of season 2 where they mostly dropped the criminal-of-the-week schtick and started actually pursuing the more serial aspects of the show. The first bit of season 3 has been okay, but a bit of a letdown after how good the last bit of season 2 was.

Oh man, thank Jesus. I started watching this and think the serial aspect of the show is interesting as hell but the criminal of the week stuff bores me to tears, I have no earthly idea why they are bothering with that. guess I'll keep going.

So many shows do that crap though. Justified, Fringe, etc. until they realize that criminal/monster of the week well, sucks. I just don't know why to do that in the first place.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Reign is the weirdest thing I've been watching in a long time. It's some deviant mix of Disney and Game of Thrones, half the time I'm either mesmerized by all the backstabbing, political maneuvering and sex, half the time its sappier then a five-dollar romance novel. It's surprisingly entertaining.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I can't believe that Supernatural is still going. I stopped watching at the end of Season 5 (6? I can't remember) because for some reason I was convinced the show was ending entirely then.

I'll know what to do if I ever find myself with abundance of free time...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I just watched Downton Abbey to the end of Season 3

gently caress you Downton Abbey

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, one of the best at the least. And Frank is not gay, he is bi, which makes complete sense with the character. Sex isn't about sex to him...or his wife.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

pigdog posted:

So I've seen pretty much everything HBO has had to offer -- which recentish series should I see now?

House of Cards?
Fargo?
Homeland? (never seen any of it)
The Good Wife?
Walking Dead? (Saw a couple of episodes of S1, wasn't too impressed)
Arrow?
something else?

Seen Spartacus, Downton Abbey, OITNB as far as some popular suggestions go

Continuum. Watch Continuum.

ALL OF YOU WATCH CONTINUUM

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is the Shield satire? It's compelling and there's good characters, but I'm four episodes in to season 3 and so far Vic Mackey and his crew of super white boys have pissed on people, threatened to rape people for intel, locked men into thunderdome shipping containers, gone down to mexico and shown the mexicans who the real men are, burnt people on stoves, had people stabbed to death in holding cells, choked and forced a whore to suck a gun to get her to comply with their plan to bust a minor pimp... and all of this has been portrayed as heroic. Occasionally there's hints that all this stuff might come back to bite them in the rear end, but so far everyone they wrong seems to forgive them and they get away with it.

Your problem is that you think its supposed to come off as heroic. Vic Mackey is easily one of the worst protagonists in TV history, right up there with Tony Soprano or Walter White.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

Agree. But I do like how it completely ignores the CW code of "Killing should never EVER be done."

Someone always dies for the good of the many in The 100.

There isn't a show where someone volunteers to die for the good of the many. I think it happens literally every episode and that is not a joke.

And they always make it awesome anyway.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

pahuyuth posted:

I quite enjoyed season 2 even though it went further off the rails a bit. I think it was just starting to ramp up into something good. I'm bitter as hell about it and Jericho being cancelled.

Have you seen The 100? If you like Revolution I think you'd really like the The 100. The first season is on Netflix and we're getting a 3rd and final season which should wrap everything up. poo poo is getting balls to the walls bonkers.

Comparing Revolution and the 100 does not do the latter justice. It's on a whole other sphere of existence as far as I'm concerned.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

It's not even close to either of those shows.

It's a period drama with period appropriate murdering, raping, eating, drinking, loving and fighting.
But it's good, what's her face really crushes pretty much every scene she's in.

Pretty much same amount of sex scenes though

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Daktari posted:

WOW, what are you saying? The 100 became good after two episodes? I canned it after two episodes. Off the block list at least

It didn't become just good, but easily one of the best shows in TV right now and easily one of the best sci-fi/post-apocalypse shows ever made.

Man I wish I would be there to see your faces when the show pulls the rug under you don't worry though, the rugs keep on coming so it's not just one scene. But there's that first moment when you know that it's not a regular CW show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

Shadow posted:

Not to mention that even one murder in Charming would crush the delicate balance and bring forth the apocalypse.

But of course a few seasons later having 10-20 left dead after mass murder sprees were just another day in paradise.

How they didn't bring the National Guard in like season 3 or so was ludicrous. This isn't some inner city war zone, this show wiped out more white conservatives on regular then the recent heroic epidemic!