Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Been watching a lot of House recently, since I never got around to it when it was live. I'm midway through season 3 right now, and I'm still waiting for that moment where it becomes a beloved classic (...that's not gonna happen at this point is it).

It's the most rote, generic-y procedural I've seen in ages complete with every episode basically following the same pattern without deviation it feels like. if anything, I think it's gotten worse overall by this point but after the first couple episodes of s3 I already decided to give it until the end of the season before I move onto something else. I actually thought season 1 was the best one so far, which is probably damning, but is also why I've given it this much time already.

Right now, I'll settle for an episode that doesn't involve the lazy, bad writing cliche of "characters talk about thing unrelated to the A Plot, one of them says something as a joke and then the other one has an "a-ha!" moment and that comment solves the entire episode". That'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That's a shame. After Person of Interest lived up to its reputation and then some, I hoped this would have too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Finished season 1 of iZombie in... two days... and this show is way, way better than it has any right to be. The pilot was pretty decent, but it wasn't until the dog/internet cafe called Mutt Bowl Surfers and the charcuterie being named Meat Cute where I knew it was gonna be great. That it took the bland generic ex-love interest character and made him into the best character in the show by giving him an actual personality and a proper character arc was a wonderfully unexpected surprise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Having now finished all of iZombie, I can say for certainty that it was definitely a fantastic ride. Season 3 was the overall peak, though. It absolutely had flaws of course; spontaneously dropping the HIV metaphor for a more generic badly done race war plot, upping the brain traits from minor quirks to personality switches to over-the-top caricatures, and all of Season 5's pacing, just to name a few.

On the plus side, it does make me that much more intrigued by what Veronica Mars has to offer since early iZombie was good enough that it got bumped up to next on my list of things to watch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

S3 alternates between pretty great and incredibly awful, almost on an episode-by-episode basis. It's impressive how uneven it is.

S4 and (the currently available half of) S5 are both legitimately fantastic at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

After it finally finished, I started Supernatural a while back but s1 was really quite bad so once it was done I felt like the way that season ended would've been fine as an actual ending and left it there for a while. Eventually got around to starting s2 though and holy poo poo this is so much better. About halfway through and while there are relative duds still, there's nothing (yet) no par with the utter poo poo like the bugs episode or the one where the villain was a racist truck. What the hell happened?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lifroc posted:

I've been enjoying Brassic lately. I must be late to the party because there's already 4 seasons out, but I love Joe Gilgun (was he in Misfits or am I misremembering?) and I've been enjoying dramedy shows a lot lately.

Joe Gilgun was in Misfits, yeah, though not until season 3. I tried to watch Brassic a few times but never got past the first few episodes and haven't heard anything about it since s1 was in its early days still so that it has 4 seasons is kinda astounding to me I dunno.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nearly finished season 1 of House of Cards and I was genuinely surprised to see how casually Frank Underwood was while seemingly spur-of-the-moment planning and ultimately murdering Peter Russo with carbon monoxide poisoning. You could see the gears in his head turning as the scene was progressing during the whole conversation in the car, so it didn't completely come out of nowhere but still one heck of a step up compared to everything else so far.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Been watching You a fair bit the past week and I'm impressed by how... not good it actually is? I mean, yeah, Joe as a shithead fits what the show is trying for, fine, but the actual thing is just really bad as a whole. It has pacing issues to no end, every episode seems to drag its feet on top of that so a 50 minute episode feels like it takes like 3 hours, a solid half of the side characters - if not more - are generously described as time wasting filler etc etc. Season 1 was the least bad and I could at least vaguely understand why people enjoyed that (to a point) but each season is worse than the last I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I had to take a break in Supernatural in the middle of season 6 as well. I got to the episode that was really in your first over the top with Twilight parody nonsense and just did not have it in me to sit through that at the time. Ended up coming back to it about a year later and pushed through that, got a few episodes into season 8 and that's also just not clicked with me so I put it back on the backburner for whenever I feel like picking it up again. Might just not even bother at this point though since one of my friends who has seen all of it said that season 8 is kinda terrible and it doesn't properly pick up again until season 10 which isn't a great look.

Especially not when I have other shows on my backlog to get through that are also meant to be really good, like The Americans, Boardwalk Empire or even The Wire.