Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just binged the first season of 'The 100' last Sunday when I was sick. It was actually really enjoyable if you can ignore the botched science of the entire situation, that is. Overall a neat concept with a really talented cast.

On another tack, I've been watching 'The Borgias' lately: it's a little dry and slow-paced, but I love the setting and the costumes are absolutely outstanding. I love Jeremy Irons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I agree with the person earlier in that An Idiot Abroad is a must watch. Just re-watched it again in the span of two days, as it isn't terribly long and only 2 6-episode seasons and 1 half season, and it is absolutely hysterical. Karl Pilkington has to be one of the most genuinely funny people you could do this to, as his over-seriousness just makes the show work.

Jumping on this recommendation bandwagon. I re-watch this show about once a year; it is incredibly entertaining and educational. I've only actually visited one of the sites that he does (Chichen Itza), and it just cracks me up how nonplussed he is about these amazing structures.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I've just got caught up on 'The Americans' and was blown away with how much I enjoyed it. It was a perfect mix of espionage thriller and family drama. The premise (Soviet sleeper agents living in the US in the early 80's) is really interesting, and sets up a lot of interesting situations. The cast is also really good, and as usual I'm a sucker for good costumes (which the show really delivers on). Oh yeah, on a totally shallow note: Keri Russell is a total babe!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I'm rewatching Chuck and it's delightful, Zach Levi is a charming dude.
Yvonne Strahovski is the finest woman the world has ever known, for the record.

Hey cool, I'm rewatching Chuck too. By all accounts I should hate this show for how pandering it can be, but it's just too drat fun and the cast is phenomenal.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched the finale to M*A*S*H. I didn't think I'd make it through all 11 seasons, but it was worth it. One thing surprised me was how the last two seasons were really good. Lots of the best episodes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated thread?

I started in on that a few months ago, but ended up watching other shows for a while. I might have to pick that back up knowing it keeps going strong; the sheer amount of episodes kind of put me off trying to get through it all. Alan Alda has a really smarmy face and voice that really lends itself to the style of humor of the show.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

So I binged through Jane the Virgin. I liked it, but it's hard to explain the appeal.

It's about a nice Catholic girl who vowed to keep herself pure until marriage, who accidentally got artificially inseminated during what should be a routine checkup.

Then it turns out that the baby daddy is the scion of a hotel fortune, and his family life is the stuff of Telenovelas, so everybody is cheating on everyone. There are blackmail plots, Hidden gangsters, evil twins, and all sorts of crazy pants things going on.

Yet it still feels totally grounded. Even the characters I should straight up hate have their own motivations, and so I'm kind of sympathetic to them. That's some good writing.

That is a great explanation. I just finished the first season a few nights ago, and I'm still trying to figure out why I enjoyed it so much; it's absolutely the fact that every character is sympathetic despite their awful flaws.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Won't spoil anything, but I have to say that compared to a lot of other mystery/supernatural shows (e.g., Lost, The Leftovers, gently caress I'm just looking directly at Lindelof now aren't I?), The Returned makes a hell of a lot more internal sense by the end of season 2 than I ever expected. I don't know if there's a season 3 planned, but I honestly don't see what they'd do; it holds together as is and ends really, really well.

I watched the pilot of The Returned last week, and it definitely reminded me of Lost. However, I have a few seasons of Lost left to watch, and didn't want to watch two confusing shows at once. I am definitely coming back to it though, and will rewatch the pilot; the cast seemed solid and the visuals were really striking/affecting.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I tried watching Lost a few years back and started to hate it around the third season because none of the twists were paying off. This time around I'm just watching it as a spiritual allegory, and it's much more enjoyable for that. I have a feeling The Returned is going to be much more tight in its narrative.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just finished binging the first season of Arrow. I got the first two seasons on DVD a while ago when I saw them on sale, but haven't gotten around to watching it until now. In any event, I thought it was a lot of fun. It moved along a good pace which was nice. I will look forward to season two next.

If you enjoyed the first season, the second is even better. I envy you.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm interested in checking out the Expanse now; is it available for streaming anywhere? Space colonization is always an interesting setting (to me at least).

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Shadow posted:

It's on Hulu, but if you're going to watch it on your computer and have cable (or an account!) you could stream via syfy.com and let AdBlock cut out the ads for you. Do this if you have Chromecast too or whatever browser->TV streaming option.

Yet another reason for me to pick up Hulu, I guess :)

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Spiteski posted:

And now we're watching how I met your mother start to finish. Up to season 6 and it's pretty great only took like... 10 years or so to start watching it.

I just finished rewatching that from start to finish recently. It's a nice show to have on in the background if I'm working on my computer. I don't know if there's a TV equivalent term to "comfort food" but 'How I Met Your Mother' is definitely that.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

karrethuun posted:

Just started watching S1 of The Americans. Why didn't I start this sooner this show is fantastic.

It was one of those shows that flew under my radar when it came out, but is so worth checking out and I was kicking myself when I finally did. Like Rocksicles said, it only gets better. Seriously. It gets bonus points for being a show that doesn't have insufferable teenage characters in it. They actually serve the plot and provide a lot of pathos. I hope you keep going with it!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm into S3 of Quantum Leap right now. As I was born two years after it first aired, it definitely seems aged, however the production values are phenomenal and the writing is really consistently good. It's sort of tragic how at the end of each episode you get whisked away along with Sam and leave behind the characters you got to know with him. The frame story lends itself to an awesome variety of period pieces though. I can definitely see why this show is highly regarded.

Scott Bakula is a hottie.

Riosan posted:

Finished watching Mr. Show today. As with every sketch show, some fell flat, but others were hysterical, even twenty years later. Shampoo.

Like a lot of sketch shows, it's usually better to just watch the best skits on Youtube. I always find myself watching the GloboChem one every once and a while. It still cracks me up.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Batman Beyond

That one is fantastic, and as I remember it only gets better as it progresses. The unique mix of the Gothic architecture used in the Batman Animated Series with some kind of faux-Blade Runner style buildings is pretty darn neat too.

Kind of fun fact about the show is that supposedly it was developed after executives asked the creatives to run with the concept of "Batman in high school." I love that they took what could've been hot garbage, and gave us this instead.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I was also sick all day yesterday too, so I finally gave in and tried watching Travelers. Loved it. Watched all twelve episodes. It avoided two of the biggest problems I have with sci-fi shows. Namely: awkward attempts at humor, and blatant sexual pandering. The premise was kind of silly, but that's never stopped me from enjoying a show (see: The 100). Definitely one that lived up to the hype.

It also marked one of the first times that I could actually remembered the names of the main characters by the end of the series. I'm really bad at that normally.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

Finished off The Good Place as well. It definitely went places... which was fun, and I'm glad it's been renewed, but I'm still not into the actual sitcom/comedy aspect of it despite liking the cast. I hope that gets better as time goes on (it has done in Schur's other shows so I have hope).

I'm about halfway through this one right now, and I'm loving it. The concept is really hokey, but it's executed well. The cast (and by extension the characters) are incredibly charming too. Like a lot of Schur comedies it has a nice running story-line which I respond to very well in comedies.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Mr President posted:

Binged GLOW on Netflix. loving fantastic show. I watched the final episode literally 5 times in a row.

I did this a few nights ago (thinking that I would just watch a few episodes), and have a pretty similar view on it. Great cast, great costumes, great music, great wrestling stunts, and a pretty solid plot. It was an impressive production, and I hope they continue with it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's starting to feel like 11 has gained the teleportation powers that much of the cast of GoT seemed to gain in its latest season as well.

It would take, like, 5 hours tops to get to Chicago from anywhere in Indiana. They haven't been clear where Hawkins is located other than being in the state of Indiana, but I can definitely believe she could get there and back relatively quickly.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I remember somebody in TVIV describing 'Ozark' as so bleak that it almost seems like it could be a parody of your average prestige drama.

I really liked it though: the setting was unique, the cast was rock-solid, and it was fun to watch Marty try to bullshit his way out of situations that were largely over his head.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Up to episode 3 of Another Life. Who let these children crew a space ship?

Yeah, I got up to that point last night and dropped the show from my queue. The only character I liked was William, and he's not even a person.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of the Taye Diggs 'Day Break', does anyone know if any streaming service has it? I watched a few episodes a long time ago, and I'd love to run all the way through it. It was pretty great from what I remember.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Timeless or Quantum Leap would be good choices.

I was gonna recommend Emergence but I just found out it never got renewed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for similarly lighthearted shows that aren't obnoxiously cloying? In a couple more weeks we're going to need something new to watch.

Maybe Santa Clarita Diet? It not only has a great core cast, but lots of great supporting players. One caveat is it can be pretty gory, but it's usually in juxtaposition to a good helping of goofiness. It also got cut by Netflix after three seasons and really could've used a proper conclusion.