Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I meant this post more or less as a "thank you" to TV IV. I've lurked for a few years on SA.com, but only recently decided to sign up. This forum in particular has more or less guided my way through great television, and I want to thank each and every poster. :unsmith:
I'll admit what spurred this topic was seeing the Terminator: SCC thread pass into archives. I know that isn't a great show to alot, but something about it's two short seasons resonate to me even today. I can fully admit to liking Deadwood, Breaking Bad, True Blood, etc. better but not all of them moved me in such a way that made me feel loss when they stopped.
My family watches the entirety of their television online, through Hulu, Netflix Instant, etc. and it's been a huge help to be lead through some really great programming that I either never gave a chance thanks to you guys.

SA.com has convinced me to watch: Friday Night Lights, Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, True Blood, Mad Men, etc. when before television was just something to catch my favorite movies butchered by TBS or the news.

Before this turns into a GBS thread, I just want to reiterate how awesome this forum is and especially topics like this.

tl;dr: I really, really liked Shirley Manson, G. Dillahunt, Summer Glau, and Brian Austin Green in T:SCC despite it's faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
See, I can see that view, but I didn't really like it because it was super ballsy tv or anything. I'll admit Derek's death was a huge risk and I think it paid off.
If you followed the old thread (archived now.. Whaaaa!!!), when Cromartie died everyone was bitching about how ineffectual and lame Terminators are, and how bad their aim is. So how do they rectify? Turn the corner and get headshotted, main character #4.

It took alot of liberties and such with the franchise and at times made it a Terminator super-drama/Religious analogue thing but ... but.. I still loved it from beginning to end. The actors I mentioned preformed beautifully... so much in fact that I considered watching Smallville because BAG is in it, and I pretty much hate Superman by default.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for rescuing me from that. I don't know anything about it, but I saw Hawkman and Metallo and whatnot. If some semblance of the Justice League was in it, that might save it? Still not watching 126 seasons of Superman-girl-angst. I'm sorry if that's an unfair classification -- blame it on the marketers. That's all I see. :unsmith:

Just had a mancrush on BAG's Derek Reese, I guess. Besides being dragged down in the whole Jesse plot in Season 2, I thought he was a really cool character (See: the episode where he and John go to the military academy).

On a semi-related note to that, I saw the promo for that poor "Aquaman" tv series pitched a while back that was apparently axes before it went anywhere? Yeah, it didn't look TOO bad. Took alot of liberties with the character and stuff but the effects looked drat good for tv, and I'd appreciate a show with underwater/beach scenes that weren't Baywatch.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Current marathon: Sons of Anarchy
Halfway through season two I still wonder how the writers managed to make me care about a bunch of gun runners and murderers. Good stuff. Love Adam Arkin in season 2, I don't I have ever seen him playing a villain before. Great cast, all around. Last six episodes coming up tonight, can't wait.

I'm currently around 01x08 on SoA and I do enjoy it. Mostly for Katey Segal and Ron Perlman, though. I also recognize the scarred Irishman in the MC from a fuckton of bit roles where he plays "expendable foreign mercenary without morals". I instantly recognize the other curly-haired crazy from Waterworld, of all places, as the crazy rear end sailor that Kevin Costner trades with (the one who wants to buy the women off him).
The only black mark I see is the dude who plays Jax can't act for poo poo. His inflection, his phony-rear end swagger, his walk with him animatedly swinging his arms trying to look tough is downright terrible. A nitpick as well, but the baggy jeans and clean white sneaks don't really paint the picture of Clay's VC to me, neither.

The biggest part though is that since he's the VC and the main focus, he constantly wants to talk to Ron Perlman alone... and every scene he is completely blown away. The plot intentionally calls for them to have these intimate kind of expository scenes where Jax looks like a worse actor by comparision trying to out-yell or out-:smug: Clay.

e: The leader of the Nord gang also doesn't really sell me. I keep hoping J.K. Simmons gets released from Oz, shanks him, and takes over the crew.
e2: SAMCRO is a pretty forced acronym. Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original? Ok. :smith:

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 25, 2010

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Currently binging Entourage, and on the late 2nd season. I went into this knowing:
1.) It's pretty much about douchebags that hardly anything bad ever happens to.*
2.) It's apparently Mark Wahlberg's life, but Mark Wahlberg didn't want to do a docu-style show with cameras following him around.

It's loving great. Ari Gold is my absolute favorite.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Been binging through Entourage, currently up to 5x09. It's a decent enough show, but watching a few episodes in a row really make you annoyed at Drama's constant bitching and how much of a background reactionary character Vince can be.
Anything with Piven's Ari is completely awesome. Lloyd is hilarious. This show is such a bromance.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'm probably the only other person you'll meet who loved Sarah Connor Chronicles as much as you did.
Also had a mancrush on how cool BAG was. The ep with John and him at the training academy or whatever was awesome. Cromartie is awesome. John Henry is awesome.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'd like to share. :)
I occasionally like to enjoy Fantasy/Action television, almost half-serious, because the budgets usually only allow for terrible CG or really facile and uncomplicated confrontations. Everything is smaller scale, you know?
So after I finished Legend of the Seeker (it should really only be watched for Bruce Spence, and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone) and Terminator: SCC (another campy favorite of mine that isn't without big flaws) I decided to start working on Highlander: The Series.
There is sort of a bittersweet nostalgia to everything, because there are still fan-sites and forums dedicated to these shows and others that lasted even less (Highlander at least has 6 seasons, 5 of them reportedly watchable) that are hopeful for renewals or spin-offs, video games, detailing every event and new project that the actors attached to that show are currently doing. It really blows my mind.

So, Highlander. Firstly, there were a few games made for it (Amiga, CDi I think was the animated game) but why not something PSX era and on? It's pretty much a video game plot. There's been 5 movies now, a full-length anime that was quite good, and a cartoon series. The cartoon manages to incorporate Connor (Lambert) being killed in the first episode and was pretty violent for the time, the enemy sometimes remarking that the main character's head will "roll at his feet as did Connor's".
Anyway, I'm kind of getting off-topic because I haven't really found anyone who cares to listen to this, so it wouldn't make me feel bad if you skipped it. About the show anyway...

- It's 90's as gently caress. Ponytails, purple shirts, turtlenecks, jorts, green leather jackets, sweet guitar riffs, and overt humor circa 1992.
- It's one of the last and only TV shows to actually be released in it's entirety on VHS with 2 episodes per tape (there's around 117 episodes, so that's alot of loving tapes).
- It has a reputation as one of the most violent shows of the day, and a pretty good reputation despite 7.5ish scale on IMDB.
Guys, if you've never watched the show, you should. It's pretty entertaining for the time. I tend to get bored whenever the show isn't focused on "The Game" and Immortals and swordfights, but it doesn't disappoint. It's one of the strangest shows I've seen --

The potential for the concept is so great, though. Since the main character has lived 400+ years blending into mortal society (way more effectively than any vampire fiction you've seen/read probably) there are a ton of great flashbacks to different eras. Adrian Paul was hired because he's a martial artist and not an actor, so the choreography tends to pretty good, and there are a ton of weird "celebrity" guests (the lead singer from the Fine Young Cannibals for example...)

Watching this show is like a fever dream sometimes. I'm only at the end of season 1, but inexplicably in the middle of the season after introducing a bunch of minor characters in the fictional portmanteau of "Seacouver" (Seattle+Vancouver), the ENTIRE SHOW ups and moves to France. FRANCE. Not just the setting of the show, but production itself, so now all the actors are European.

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 30, 2010

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Kerafyrm posted:

Fringe, here. I caught up on Supernatural a week or so ago and decided to give Fringe a try, and am loving it. Unfortunately, now I'm nearly caught up to that and am going to need a new series to binge through.

Have you seen X-Files? There was another lovely FOX one called Millenium. There was a crossover.
E: Also, I really like Oz. I remember it as the first uncensored serial show I've ever watched. There is a special place in my heart for Oz, and it gave us a ton of great actors that are all over the loving place now if they weren't before.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Sure wish I had more Spaced to go through. As dorky as it was, I was loving the video game references. And the fake shootout episode is pretty much the best episode.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Working through Oz now. I saw it during it's first run on HBO, but not in it's entirety, and I feel like we have to pay it homage for all the great actors it gave us. I'm not saying Oz was the first thing some of these guys have done, but it's the first thing I've seen them in, and that goes a long way.
I'm only on Season 1 now, but the episode where Jefferson Keen gets executed and McManus fucks the Hack during? You know the one? They completely ruin the tone of the episode by introducing a mass serial killer in the last 15 minutes and executing him the next day, ruining any emotional residue about the death penalty.

I'd be lying if I said Schillinger/J.K. Simmons isn't the most magnificent bastard on the show.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Started Mad Men, and I'm mid-season 3 in Oz.

I hate the way the Black Muslims are written. Whenever there is the slightest conflict, a Black Muslim without hesitation or even a word of warning bursts into action and this is pretty much immediately followed by his friends holding him back from fighting. I think this is supposed to display how much restraint they have, but the problem is that this is used pretty much everytime they are on-screen, which makes them seem really unhinged. Kareem Said himself bursts into this bullshit like twice an episode with his eyes bulging out of his head and adam's apple moving like a drinking bird.
Just weird.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Just finished Mad Men. Probably going to start on Boardwalk Empire. I know it's the 20s, but I feel like I'm trying to hold on to the feeling.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

JVO posted:

Recently finished a slow burn through Rome, then a 2 day burn through Party Down. I enjoyed both a lot, and now I'm debating between Deadwood and Mad Men.

I think I'm going to go with Deadwood based on my overall interests, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep putting Mad Men off as it seems to get brought up in every TV conversation I ever have and I hate not having seen any of it.

Deadwood is so awesome I'm envious it's your first viewing. I've seen the whole series maybe 4 times. Mad Men was great, but this was actually my second attempt. I tried to pick up the series earlier and only made it to Ep3-4 before I dropped it. But then again, there seemed to be something good coming on every night and I didn't have much time to devote to it.
The funny thing about Mad Men is that I don't watch very many shows where the conflict resolution isn't violence. Mad Men has some staggering poo poo going on but barely a fist is thrown in anger. There is this professional "gently caress you" that is adminstered instead for the most part.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Checked out Oz again since I was pretty young when it came out and I wanted to see if it still held up. The first few seasons were excellent but it takes a nosedive after Adebisi is killed by Saïd. Next season Saïd wonders around in the background for a while and doesn't really do anything when he is on screen. Crazy out of this world plots start to surface such as demonic possession, Alvarez and the end times. I also felt there was way too much emphasis on the Beecher/Keller on-again, off-again love story. When Saïd is shot by Idzik the show pretty much lost its direction. The last season was pretty awful but it had a few decent moments. I really do feel it should have come to a close around season 4 but overall I would recommend seasons 1, 2 3 and 4.

Oz is great, but you're right. It doesn't really hold that well now anwyay. I got as far as Luiz Guzman being introduced in my rewatch before my wife and I got bored. Last time we at least made it to Luke Perry dying.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Currently progressing through "Wolverine and the X-Men", the most recent animated X-Men cartoon and the third series to attempt after the prolific 90's X-Men series and the terrible high-school kids WB X-Men Evolution.
A lot of the narrative is hit or miss as comics go, but something could be said for how satisfying the cameos and B-list heroes they use can be. It also hits all the notes of familiarity and status quo and operates more or less in it's own universe, so you don't need much current comic knowledge to appreciate it.

Now before someone mentions the nostalgia factor, I watched a few episodes of the 90's series before attempting this one. I'd say it's nearly as good for different reasons with the only thing the 90's series having over them is a much longer run, darker art style (but weaker concept and animation), and arguably some better voice actors (I personally can't divorce the 90's voice actors from how the characters "should" sound). The 90's series is also 90's as gently caress with boxy red convertibles, tank tops and feathered hair, and some really dated slang.

If you like it, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is gathering alot of steam in Batman's Shameful Secret as the new awesome Marvel animation on the block. I saw about half the series and it's p good.

Also progressing through Boardwalk Empire, did anyone think Harrow sounded exactly like a Ghoul from Fallout? The sniper with the missing face who appears around Ep7.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I didn't like Terminator until about... Episode 3-4. It really begins to take off when Garret Dillahunt is the T-800, you get Shirley Manson hamming it up weekly, Brian Austin Greene is somehow a badass, etc.

It doesn't always work, but there are a lot of memorable moments in the short series for me.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Early S5 of Curb, and one episode left of Misfits. :unsmith: Also kind of working my way through the 11th Doctor Who eps.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I watched 2(3?) seasons of The Wire before I gave up. It wasn't really a conscious decision, I just started watching other stuff and never really got back around to it.
My favorite part was showing the criminals trying to sell day-to-day, Bricks and the rest. I really don't like procedurals much, and tend to give no fucks about stories where the protaganist are police officers. Then they introduced the dock stuff, the Greek, etc. and ZzZzZz.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
In this time of light TV offering, I humbly submit the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's a lot easier to suffer through when you don't have commercials or have to wait a week. It's mediocre in the best way. :3:

I think... I think I'm out of tv to watch. :stare: I just finished Homeland and really don't have anything to watch that is on any Top 10 lists I ever saw or anything.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Hey, did that Lights Out show on FX (I think?) about the boxer dude ever turn into something great? I only sticked out the first two episodes.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for that critique. I was just thinking about Homeland, and my mind kind of sought out to remember other recent shows that had only one season. I mean, I even watched Falling Skies(but wouldn't recommend it) so I'm unsure of why I gave up on Lights Out.

Any praise for Jericho? I want to say I only watched the pilot, but I remember a scene specifically where a guy was placing pins on a map where attacks occured? How far into it was I? :downs:

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I liked Supernatural. I prefer the earlier seasons with Jeffrey Dean Morgan as their badass dad. I also liked the "hunter bar" era and pretty much every plot about their weird take on vampires and especially every episode that was Rufus and Bobby's Bogus Journey.

The dialogue can be really terrible, and repetitive. The word "juice" in reference to one's power or influence is used so many loving times. Strange thing to note but that really stood out to me.

Oh, and don't Internet anything about the show or it's stars. The most withering, soul-crushing fangirls imaginable if you exclude Twilight.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Watch Homeland if you haven't. Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin were great in it. Damien Lewis was really good, too.

Rome is pretty great, but yeah, it did lose me a bit after S1. It picks back up, though, and the ending ties everything up despite how rushed it is. Mark Antony remains a highlight.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I need the complete DVD set of "Last Comic Standing" in my life. It's so goddamn hilarious, and the editing is so backwards compared to most reality shows - instead of showing the bad poo poo to be funny, they have to show the good acts.

All the judges are great and the interactions awesome. "The crowd seems to like you, which always makes me paranoid and jealous. I'd like to say no, and no to any future competitions."

Also, RIP Greg Giraldo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

MOAR posted:

Trying to watch Luck it's painful but I'm trying, has anyone got through it?

I was lukewarm on the pilot. It has a style to it that's Milch as gently caress at times, but one goon put my feelings best when he said something like, "It's like Deadwood with it's complex dialogue, but unlike that show, when I bothered to unpack what they were saying there wasn't any payoff." So good luck trying to parse horse race jargon and everything else and not really take away anything nice from it!x