Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bly Manor isn't much but it's definitely one of Greg Sestero's top 2 performances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bly Manor would have been so much better without the final episode. Literally ending it with the penultimate episode's closing shot would have been incredible

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Arrrthritis posted:

I thought Bly Manor was pretty bad. Episode 8 kind of made my wife and I angry because they decided to take what could have been 5-10 minutes of exposition and stretched it out into a whole episode. On TOP of that, episode 7 ended with Dani getting choked by Viola. Episode 8 ended with The same instance of Dani getting choked by viola and episode 9 finally shows us the conclusion to that series of events Which also kind of doesn't make sense because she took a lot less time to kill peter quint and almost kill Henry but Dani is fine for some reason. The epilogue kind of dragged on too long as well, and the 'reveal' at the end was kind of laughable. Really, there were so many moments in the show where the direction they took was so hackneyed that we both ended up doing a rich evans laugh when they occured. Notably the fiance getting hit by the truck and the 'wait.. my MIDDLE NAME is flora!'. god that was so awful

It wasn't all bad, though! We thought the episode where Helen Grose is revealed to be a ghost was pretty good, and the actor who played Owen kind of carried the whole show on his back with his performance. The fact that it's such a drop in quality compared to hill house made us really disappointed in the show, though.

The whole "It's you, it's me, it's us" is incredibly stupid and not good enough to be a climax of a 9 hour series. I don't know if I missed something but all the characters just started saying those magic words at one point

Someone said it felt like it was supposed to be set in the 60s and then shifted to the 80s? That feels very accurate

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

joepinetree posted:

The biggest problem with 8 and 9 is that it makes the entirety of the series pointless.

If Peter Quint's goal is to convince the kids to let them take over their bodies why is he "haunting" the au pair before that?
If the kid can come back from the whole "its you its me its us" why can't the baby sitter?
The "rules" by which Viola, Peter and Hannah operate as ghosts are wildly different from each other

None of which would be that big a deal, except that the resolution to the entire series is the au pair figuring out the "rules" to save Flora.

Yeah that's a good summation of what bothered me about the show. It starts off strong with Spooky House, rapidly devolves into painfully detailed Here's The Rules of Ghost Haunting, and then resolves it by breaking the freshly established rules. Barf.

Hopefully season 3 of Victoria Pedretti's Grieving Widow Adventures* is a little stronger.

*Season 4 if you count the You spinoff