Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Currently going through Burn Notice, Lost Girl and Rubicon.

They're respectively entertaining, disappointing and stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, Supernatural is pretty solid. I know a lot of people who were expecting it to go to poo poo in season 6 and they're all pleasantly surprised with how it's maintained.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Misfits is damned good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Misfits is damned good.

Just starting Eureka. It's okay, kind of boilerplate comedy/scifi, but perfectly watchable.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I can see why people would hate it (Jack Harkness' perpetual poo poo-eating grin is loving annoying) but overall, I liked Torchwood. Be prepared for extreme cheezeball scifi.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Harmonica posted:

Star Trek TNG - good but not as polished/slick as I would have expected it to be (didn't think it would be quite so 80s, but that's my mistake). I'm mid way through the first season, trying to watch it so I can later watch DS9 which I hear has some great story arcs. Is there a point where it becomes more like 90s Trek? I guess in the 90s? :)
It becomes substantially more polished in the 3rd Season, especially with the episode "Yesterday's Enterprise."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Finished both seasons of Justified. I liked it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Jumping on the Day Break bandwagon after the push in the Fringe thread. It's a very enjoyable show that tied up nicely.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I enjoyed The Wire, but think it's overrated. I vasty preferred The Shield.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Regarding Doctor Who, I strongly recommend watching "Blink." It's a great stand-alone episode that works the time travel angle in exactly the way you always wanted it to. You don't need to know poo poo about shinola to enjoy it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

kaworu posted:

OK guys, so I just watched the first couple episodes of Breaking Bad, and before I proceed any further I have a couple questions for fans of this show.

First off - I tried watching this when the very first pilot episode aired on AMC years ago, and for some reason that I subsequently forgot, I didn't stick with it. Having just given the show another shot I have remembered that reason - judging by the first couple episodes, this just seemed like a bunch of ridiculous anti-drug nonsense full of cliches and bullshit, despite being technically very well acted and created. I mean, withing days of deciding to cook up some meth, our hero is suddenly dealing with absurd walking stereotypes called KRAZY-8, murdering drug dealers, dissolving bodies in acid, and so on. It just reeks of a bunch of "SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET INVOLVED IN DRUGS?!?" nonsense. So way back when, I stopped because I figured that it wouldn't amount to much more than that.

Now, I am going to stick with the show this time around because I know it's apparently a truly exceptionally great work of television. There have been too many raving reviews and such that I've encountered for me to ignore all of them. I would just like it if it someone were to assure me that this heavy-handedness gets toned a down at least a little bit in the future. Perhaps I expected this show to approach the drug trade with a level of verisimilitude and maturity comparable to, say, The Wire and while this does not seem to be exactly true right off the bat, there's still time to get there.
Breaking Bad is not really about meth or drugs, it's about Walter White breaking bad.

Whereas The Wire was concerned with society as a whole, Breaking Bad is focused on the individuals therein.

"Drugs" can be replaced with "Bad Thing X."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

The problem I have now is that I'm starting to turn into a :emo: because all these shows are so god drat bleak. Parks and Rec alone might not be enough to keep me from hanging myself.
Try Raising Hope and Psych. They've got a good-natured tone that's similar to Parks and Rec.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Re-watched Utopia because it's damned good. I was surprised to find there may be a second season.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

der_rudi posted:

Just started watching Person of Interest, and although the first 8 episodes were not bad at all, I am wondering if this goes anywhere beyond a Crime-of-the-Week kinda of show. Those are not really my thing, and I'm already getting a bit bored by the show. Will there be more of a "bigger plot", or does it remain like this?
There's definitely a bigger plot in the works regarding the Machine.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Don't get me wrong, they're still very good. It's just that the episodic bits in these first few episodes are less interesting. Not surprising for a show with such long seasons, really. I'm all in regardless, but I'm eagerly waiting for it to spend more time on the longer-term story arcs.
You will not be disappointed.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Jesus Christ, Bones has 10 seasons? I dropped it not too long after the autistic dude became intern to that serial killer.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

minema posted:

Has anyone watched Awake? A crime-detective show with weird parallel universe stuff sounds amazing, does it live up to the premise?
The pilot is great and definitely worth a watch. The rest of the season is good with a decent payoff.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

For some reason talking about Misfits reminded me of Letterkenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

There are only like six episodes and at least some of them are on Youtube. I wouldn't call it absolutely amazing, but it definitely has its moments.
Thank you for this recommendation. I just binged though it, and I get the feeling I'm going to do so again. It's got the weird indie/cult charm with all the requisite strengths and weaknesses.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Are there any great several-season sitcoms I could breeze through? I've enjoyed the usual staples like AD, P&R, Scrubs, 30 Rock, HIMYM, Community, The Office (both), Veep, Silicon Valley, Brooklyn 9-9, and got bored of Modern Family's sameness after about season 5. Anything else I should check out that's been running/ran for a while?
NewsRadio.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I binged through Rick and Morty after getting hooked by the Dever Allen animatic.

Good stuff.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I just discovered Rick and Morty. Burning through them pretty quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8uyJTDhjw

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

I'm trying to find something new to watch. I like brainless fun things like Lucifer or heartwarming comedies like Brooklyn 99/The Good Place/One Day at a Time. Any good stuff I might have missed?

Just blew through Blown Away on Netflix, it is a blown glass competition reality show. Glass-blowing is super cool so I enjoyed it, it's very by-the-numbers reality competition though.

Always gonna recommend Letterkenny. If you don't care for the season 1 cold open, it's probably not for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2GVcjXXI8

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

Letterkenny, Derry Girls, Wayne, Cobra Kai, Future Man... Though I guess most of those are more quirky than heartwarming. Still funny shows though.

Be warned that the first three might gently caress up your grasp of the English language for weeks after watching.

If detective procedurals with a weird main character are your thing you could also try Monk, or even older stuff like Poirot?
Wayne is fantastic, but I'd say it requires more attention than what Hawkperson might be looking for.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

I am thinking of watching Babylon 5. I have never seen any of it and I don't know anything about it other than when it was broadcast and the setting/genre etc. I liked DS9 very much, and having only caught up with shows like Firefly and Farscape in the past few years, I figure I will give this a shot.

My question is, to any who have seen it, does the show hold up or will it be horribly dated? Will it start slow and find its pace later on or will it be as good as it gets from the first episodes/seasons onwards?

It both holds up and is horribly dated. The first season is rough but good.

It is the epitome of cheesy 90s late night sci-fi, but it can be absolutely great.

I would recommend either going in hard with the commitment that you’re going to binge the whole thing, or just watching a episode or two a week until you feel it pulling you in.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

Let us know when you've seen episode 5 of season 2. Would love to hear your first impression of it.

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah S2E5 is something else
Recently binged Barry and it was fantastic all the way through. I'm somewhat conflicted on S2E5 because while it's absolutely amazing, it also seems too out there. It's a definite break from the rest of the series.

I feel like they should go one of two ways with it; 1) Never mention the girl again; 2) Given the dream-like quality of the episode, it turns out that Barry actually murdered the girl during the hit and the episode is how he rationalizes it (she was a ninja!!!). That would go a ways to making Barry irredeemable which is something they've been hitting on.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Someone throw me some ideas, I need a new show to watch. Right now I just want something that's reasonably high quality, serious, with a serialized story arc. I've seen way too much poo poo to even try to list out to be honest. Not too picky, I like period shows, cop shows, whatever. I'm watching Knightfall right now and while it's not horrible, it's not grabbing me very hard.

Lodge 49.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Ok the century club episode of Letterkenny was the first good one in season 6. Seems to be turning a corner boys!
What I find with Letterkenny is that I'll be kinda disappointed with the latest season until I watch it about 6 or 7 more times. It's very much a repeat-viewing show.

I'm at the point where I actually like the Fartbook episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I’d have been more satisfied if the show had ended with Season 4.
The show had a 5 season arc, but during production for season 4, Warner Brothers failed to definitively green light a 5th season. JMS crammed the planned 5th season plotline into season 4. Season 5 is a Goddamned mess because of that. It’s also pretty good, so shut up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The thing about Jerry and characters like him is that while I like the trope of an inoffensive character who is inexplicably and irrationally loathed by everyone else, it generally relies on that character either not realizing it or not giving a poo poo. Otherwise it’s just cruel.

With Jerry, the attempts to make his personal life so awesomely awesome undercuts the joke because it calls too much attention to itself. That was meant to assuage the audience, not the character.

I think Hitchcock and Scully on Brooklyn 99 are a better version of this. They don’t give a poo poo about what the main characters think.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

i feel like hitchcock and scully are actually deserving of most of the scorn they receive though
True, but they’re actually good detectives who are fine with being losers which puts them into the “not giving a poo poo” category.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Qmass posted:

youtube decided it was time to watch true detective S1 again. praise be the algorithm.

I would gladly watch a season of bad true detective and an interesting but ultimately boring season to rewatch season one until eternity. I can't think of a better single season of TV ever. If you average all the seasons of the wire, it is certainly as good as that average. It is more fantastical and condensed but scene after scene floors me. The key, like all good shows, is how loving funny it can be. I cannot stand bleak TV any more. But I can rewatch a show that gets as dark as this because at times it is as funny as any pure comedy I have ever watched.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Luther sucked. That scene where he was circling the headset/scanner photo was BLACK SUV level terrible.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Carlos puts up with so much poo poo over the course of the show. Literally every single friend he has betrays him, and at the end of the series they're basically all gone.

Oh, other thought that occurred to me: Kiera is starting to get affected by the mental collapse that time travellers experience, right? And that's why she becomes so obsessive and has that weird dream at the start of season 4? I was always sad that they didn't do more with that plot line, and it'd be a nice nod to it if that was the case.

One of the most affecting things for me was Carlos drinking and talking with Keira's corpse. That was like, Oh, man...:(

I gotta rewatch that show.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I'm 3 days sober from stressful TV / Movies. I'm 46, pretty much my entire life I've watched violent, suspenseful stuff. Not over the top gore stuff, but stuff like the sopranos, 24, breaking bad, Gomorrah, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Marvel movies etc etc. In recent years with streaming I watch something like that pretty much every single night. Even stuff like Halt and Catch Fire is pretty stressful, even though there isn't much violence.

But I've been on a path of self healing for 3 years now, from depression and anxiety, and I'm realizing that these types of shows and movies don't help. They add stress to my life and make my sleep worse. Even animated stuff like Pixar movies are nothing but stressful situations for almost the whole movie. So I'm taking a break for a while and we'll see if I enjoy them when I go back.

I know at our core, we are just Fear and Love and most of us have a huge imbalance towards Fear and that makes us choose things that feed into that Fear. Much like the no fap challenge, if anyone want to join me feel free and report the results.

Currently watching Shitt's Creek and the Life in Color Netflix nature show.

Psych. Definitely watch Psych.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
American Horror Story has 9 loving seasons???

Jesus Christ!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Just finished up Katla. In that vein, does anyone have a list of somewhat similar shows? By similar, I mean an hour long drama series that usually has some sort of big mystery and a great atmosphere that just sucks you in. Dark would be a perfect example of this. I'd also count Lost. The Gift was pretty decent too, at least season 1, but I heard it gets bad. Preferably some kind of supernatural mystery instead of a whodunnit, but I'll consider those if they are really good.

Lodge 49
Dispatches From Elsewhere
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (With Elijah Wood)
Utopia
Patriot
Wayne
Continuum
Colony
The Outsider

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but also good:
American Vandal
Ted Lasso

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Robobot posted:

I love Patriot! That's pretty much exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Well, maybe something a bit more funny than dark.

Lodge 49 is like Patriot but more funny than dark.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Just finished The Stand, and even having not read the book, man, it just seemed so rushed and unsatisfying. I really couldn't care less about the "good guys" as well, even though it feels like you really should. Skarsgard also just felt off and bad, but I blame the writing on that one.

Having famous / kinda big named actors play minor roles also felt cheap in a way. Felt almost like cameos to drum up hype to make up for bad writing. I'm super late on this though so it's probably been discussed to death on how underwhelming this was.

Check out the 90's miniseries if you can.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah Alan Ritchson is a good dude and an outspoken critic of the toxic masculinity and gun fetishism that's pretty common among fans of the action genre. That's pretty loving awesome IMO.

https://twitter.com/cromfourwinds/status/1529794292776112129?s=21&t=4-uwwVjVBgskADnC9Oi5fA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Dave Angel posted:

Nandor and Nadja are probably age-adjacent, didn’t Nandor burn down and murder her village during his human escapades? Laszlo is an 1800s gentlemen, god knows for Colin Robinson.

Persian Frank Zappa.