Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I just finished The Shield and I'm looking for the next binge show.

I'm thinking Breaking Bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

SaviourX posted:

Here, I fixed that for you.

Content:
Been binging The Shield.
I watched the first two episodes, said 'gently caress that poo poo', and stopped.
Then I picked up the DVDs (thanks, local library!), and watched.
Halway through S4 and it's... okay. Every episode is literally 'Vic is intense about something, Shane is a sleazebag, Dutch is a whipping boy, etc, etc'. And the story arcs kind of blow. Each episode is good as a self-contained story, but there is no overriding tension or investment in anyone in the entire drat show. Everything is glaring and in yo face and just screaming its edginess.

Homicide was a much better show, about much better people, in an equally hosed up city.

Whaaa? Season 4 isn't the best, but it's definitely not what you described. Season 5 is better, but I'm thinking you just won't like this show.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Slooooooowly going through the wire. Just watched episode 8 of season 2.

It's a very good show, but as far as binging goes The Shield or Sopranos are much better at making you want to see the next episode right now.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
If you watch The Wire you have to realize that it is a different show. It goes at a slower more realistic pace than most TV. It doesn't all get solved in each episode. Maybe in a season.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I've been re-watching Terriers on my DVR. They better release this on DVD.

From the very first episode, the characters are so deep and so real, the writing and acting are both so goddamn great, all that was missing from this show is the audience (and a name that wouldn't make people shy away from it because they are unfamiliar with the slang term and think it's about dogs.)

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Finally starting Deadwood on my Netflix queue. Cowboy Ron Swanson! Olyphant is awesome so far in this, needs a mustache in Justified.

HBO shows where criminals do business in a whorehouse/strip club: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood,

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Deadwood is awesome, and I am glad I waited this long to watch it, because I knew I'd have to be in a certain mood to get into a Western since it's not a genre I normally watch. I waited until the right mood and now it doesn't matter what mood I am in since I am invested in these characters now. Disc 5 of Season 1 should be here today from Netflix. Deadwood's clogging up my queue with all 3 Seasons back to back right now.

I went through most of The Shield and all of The Wire like that though. 1 Disc at a time.

With TV shows like The Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood, The Shield, Justified, Terriers, Friday Night Lights, etc. I have found that I don't really care for movies much any more. TV has more depth and better quality.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Finished up Deadwood. drat it.

I started Sports Night and I thought I heard a laugh track once but I thought no, that would be stupid, silly, and completely out of place. But the laugh tracks go on. drat. In the first few minutes it's like The West Wing of Sportscenter, which would be great, but the laugh track is killing the good parts so far. I'm only about 5 minutes in.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I recorded Season 2 of Breaking Bad on DVR when AMC was marathoning them before the new season. It is missing the plane crash(?) episode and maybe 1 or 2 after it though. Anyway, I binged that while I was sick and have season 3 to catch up on now. I'm kind of saving them so I'll can binge on that now.

Reminds me most of The Sopranos. Kind of a Tony/Chris relationship with Walt/Jesse. Not in how they feel about each other but the dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I lost all interest in Sports Night on the first disc of Season 2. I don't know, it was just different.

I've been searching for a new show to binge on Netflix DVDs since Deadwood but nothing has measured up. I guess maybe I'll binge on mob movies I haven't seen yet.