Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MrSlam posted:

I've been testing the waters trying to find a cool sexy new show.

I watched up to season 4 of Parks & Recreation but I'm starting to lose steam. Don't you hate it when you start to recognize the formula and you get fatigued? I've been shot by the Hugo Weaving of TV writing and I can see the code. I've been trying to get into Z-Nation, Brooklyn 99, Mad Men, and The Borgias (I've been playing a lot of AssCreed) but nothing's got that spark. I've liked period pieces in the past (Deadwood, Vikings, Rome, Boardwalk Empire, Carnivale) so I'm gonna try American Horror Story: Freakshow. I've heard bad things about the Tudors but I'm willing to give it a shot if someone's willing to back it up.

Watch the Tom Fontana European version Borgia. It has all the sexy trappings but isn't dumbed down and has much better characterization than the Showtime Borgias series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching this Italian drama series Gomorrah, about the Camorra crime families of Naples, and its so loving good. There was a movie of the same title, and both movie and TV series are inspired by the book of the same name by Robert Saviano. Saviano spent years investigating and researching the Camorra clans while living in Naples, so his heavy involvement with the making and writing of the TV series gives it a great feeling of authenticity and a wide scope that covers not only the Camorra's dealings in organized crime, but also various institutions and business's it's corrupted, along with it's corrosive effect on certain communities. It also has great plotting, character development and top-notch production in general. Really, I can't suck this show's dick enough. The only real negative about it was that the subtitles could get clunky at points, but hopefully this show becomes as popular as it deserves and they reissue a special edition DVD in the future with better ones.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

3peat posted:

I've just finished watching Gomorra and holy loving poo poo this has been the most insane and good tv series I've seen in years
It may be the adrenalin talking but right now I'd rate it as 'it's like The Wire but better'. I mite try to write a proper review in a couple days after my thoughts clear as this is a show that really deserves way more exposure, for now I'm just listening to the soundtrack (which is amazing) and searching youtube for clips

like this one from the first episode, which sets the tone for the senseless violence that just escalates and gets more hosed up and insane with every episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxwRYc25zo

and oh yea, Harvey Weinstein is already working on the American remake lol

Yeah boy, finally someone else that's seen this. I've been hoping someone would. Your first reaction isn't hyperbolic at all imo, this show is so insanely loving awesome. I first watched it about a month ago and this is what I posted itt:

savinhill posted:

I've been watching this Italian drama series Gomorrah, about the Camorra crime families of Naples, and its so loving good. There was a movie of the same title, and both movie and TV series are inspired by the book of the same name by Robert Saviano. Saviano spent years investigating and researching the Camorra clans while living in Naples, so his heavy involvement with the making and writing of the TV series gives it a great feeling of authenticity and a wide scope that covers not only the Camorra's dealings in organized crime, but also various institutions and business's it's corrupted, along with it's corrosive effect on certain communities. It also has great plotting, character development and top-notch production in general. Really, I can't suck this show's dick enough. The only real negative about it was that the subtitles could get clunky at points, but hopefully this show becomes as popular as it deserves and they reissue a special edition DVD in the future with better ones.

I've started watching it again earlier this week, taking my time with it more than the way I blitzed through it the first viewing(I found better subtitles and I'm enjoying it even more). I hardly ever watch anything repeat times, I think the only other TV show I've really done it with, going through every episode in order, is the Wire, and you're completely correct that Gomorra is even better.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Well i just watched the first episode and it's probably a good example of the gritty action side of it... it's not the only example in the first episode.

I loved it, but my subs left a lot to be desired.

Look for the UK Bluray subtitles, there's a set for the season on one of those subtitle sites. I've been using them while rewatching and they're a huge improvement over the earlier ones I watched with.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mrfart posted:

I've been planning to watch this. But I remember seeing the movie a couple of years ago. It was so good, but also incredibly gut wrenching and I can't get myself to start watching out of fear that it will depress me.
How does it compare to the movie? (If you've seen it).

This is hard to answer. The movie had that Traffic-like pseudo documentary feel to it that may have made it more depressing for you, whereas the tv series is more traditionally cinematic(for lack of being able to think of better words right now) and serial drama-ish, so it may not be as visceral for you. OTOH, you do get to grow a lot more attached to the tv show characters than the movie ones, as you get to spend so much more time with them. That may make it worse for you when bad things happen, which there is a lot of.
Oh, also, the tv version has really good emotional music that might make it sadder for you too.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 31, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Episodes on Showtime. The pilot wasn't good but the show got real funny once Matt LeBlanc came on. He plays himself as such an unapologetically sleazy degenerate on this and the show's much better for it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Misfits and I'm partway through season 2 and love it so far. I know Robert Sheehan leaves after this season, how does this show even continue existing without the Nathan character?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

krushgroove posted:

For anyone curious about Gomorrah, the TV series is based on a book called Gomorrah by an investigative reporter (who, being a reporter about the Italian mafia, had to go into hiding for a while), and there's a movie called Gomorrah, based on the same book. But! the TV series and movie don't have any of the same actors or characters, although you will recognize the apartment block where many of the TV series' characters live. If you're a fan of one you'll be a fan of the other.

Also, check out the wiki page about the Comorrite mafia around Naples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camorra

I read the book after watching the series(and the movie awhile before that) and it's cool coming across different events, scenes, background details, etc in it, some obvious and others not so much, that have been adapted and incorporated into the movie and show. It also cleared some stuff up for me. Like when I was watching the TV series I would think "these dudes are dressed way too much like fashionistos for a buncha ruthless inner city gangsters", but when I read the book I found out how the Camorra have the fashion industry on lock in a huge way, both legitimate and bootleg, and that a lot of the guys involved would have easy access to all the new poo poo.

Dave Angel posted:

His replacement Rudy also owns you'll be happy to hear.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yep. I was skeptical at first, but Rudy really comes into his own. The show changes a lot, but I liked it all the way through.

I tried the first epiosde he was in and I just couldn't bring myself to like him. I binged the first two seasons though, so it's probably a lot harder to accept the new character(and forget about Nathan) that way. I'll give the third season another chance sometime in the future.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Moone Boy and it's really funny, reminds me a lot of Malcom in the Middle and a little of Arrested Development

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I recently watched the Carlos miniseries about Carlos the Jackal(its released under this name too in some markets). It follows Carlos the Jackal from when he first started his terrorist career in France in the early 70s up til he was finally captured in the 90s. It's very detailed, gritty and unsentimental and very good. I know it was also released as an edited-down movie, but there was never any point while watching this that it didn't totally hold my interest, so I'd definitely recommend the full three part miniseries version.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

empty sea posted:

Trying to finish Fringe again. Does it get better? I'm six episodes into the first season and I just...I just keep losing interest in the main characters. At least this time I don't want to stab Olivia.

Can anyone recommend a great sci-fi/supernatural show? I've already gone through the bigger ones: BSG, Red Dwarf, Farscape, Firefly. I loved Black Mirror, Supernatural, Hemlock Grove, Life on Mars, The 100, tried Lost out and got bored, the same with Sleepy Hollow... I want a newer show and don't mind gore.

If you liked Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Creature Double Feature monster type stuff then you should check out Penny Dreadful. It's like a combo of both with great acting and production values.

There's Defiance too if you haven't watched it yet. I checked it out cuz the O'Banion guy from Farscape was involved with this too. It's a really fun aliens scifi adventure type show that has a surprisingly good & fast-paced overarching plotline.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Scrapez posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll check out Terriers and Hannibal. Love Breaking Bad, Louie and The Wire so good suggestions there. Turn and Mad Men are starting back up soon so I'll be watching those as well.

Love/Hate is a great crime drama about a criminal gang in Dublin. Borgia: Faith and Fear is another great drama. Both were on Netflix last time I checked.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bown posted:

Somehow I never watched past that episode despite Hardy's utterly fantastic opening scene (and the series just being great in general, of course.)

I stopped watching it then too, just wasn't feeling the second season.

Scrapez posted:

I liked Peaky Blinders quite a bit. Does Love/Hate compare to that?

I like it better than PB, but it's also a lot different in that it's set in the modern day and focuses on a larger ensemble of characters.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CrispKing posted:

Just went through Bloodline and it was...good? Pretty early in the season they show clips from the end, so most of the suspense didn't really land for me. The lady loves shows with family drama, so she was hooked the entire time.

For me the plot of Bloodline wasn't anything special, it was Ben Mendleshon's performance/character that made it a great show that I couldn't stop watching. Dude needs to be in more stuff with larger roles.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Abandoning the season 2 storylines with no looking back was one of the smartest things that Friday Night Lights ever did (although I wish there were a bunch of deleted scene comedy extras showing the various, nefarious ways Buddy Garrity could've made his now unwanted, recently adopted son disappear). That season was Heroes Season 2 level bad, it felt like they outsourced the writing to Telenovela people in order to get around the Hollywood writers' strike. I'm just glad I binged it on DVD with other people cuz I probably woulda quit the show if I had to put up with it week-to-week, and then I would've missed the great seasons that followed.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now that I'm caught up with Mr. Robot and not much else is on for another month, I think I'm finally going to give Person of Interest a chance, since Netflix starts streaming the first three seasons on September 1st (tomorrow).

If you don't mind reading subtitles, watch Gomorrah the Series, it's just as good as, if not better than, any of the more well known/talked about prestige dramas. I'm just not sure if its on Netflix right now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I saw the the pilot episode and they took images of all her tattoos so I was wondering why she would be naked again.

There need be no more reason than a naked beautiful woman is just about the most awesomeest site to behold. Anyway, I thought that show was on a regular network, they actually show legit full butts & boob nudity now?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Speaking of Australian TV, everybody watch Please Like Me. It's just loving great, full stop.

Also speaking of Aussie TV, people should also watch any Chris Lilly show they can, so goddamn hilarious

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Marco Polo after seeing some people in here say that it's good and I agree, very enjoyable so far. I have no idea why it got so much negativity when it first came out, the way it was talked about online you would've thought it was Tyrant level bad, but it's actually been great so far.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

The title character is terrible and the actor is bad and for some reason they insisted on casting an actual Italian, even though they then forced him to deliver all his dialogue in English when he didn't speak a word of it when he was cast.

The show is good because of all the characters around Marco Polo. I love that there's a big budget American produced show that's basically all Asian actors/characters that the producers got greenlit by pretending it was going to be about a white guy.

I have no problem whatsoever with the title character and could care less about his accent when delivering dialogue, there's so many different characters delivering lines in english with so many different accents all over the place, I don't know why an Italian actor playing an Italian character speaking english with an Italian accent would bother people so much. There was that Mongolian wrestling warrior woman speaking with the most proper of British accents for chrissake and the main character having the the actual accent of his country of origin is what bothers people.

Also, of course they're gonna have an outsider western main character on a show like this made for Netflix western audiences, it gives an easy way for the audience to be introduced to and learn all the different politics, factions and customs,etc that they've probably never encountered before while that character himself is immersed in them and has to navigate them to survive.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

It's cool you like him, but I'll continue to watch in spite of that character. It seemed telling that the 30 minute episode they released a couple months back to remind people about S2 coming up didn't feature Marco at all.

Eh, while he's far from the best character on the show, he's fine in his own right as the starting out, audience insert protagonist. I'm sure he'll only get better as the seasons progress. I remember people hyperbolicly bitched about and hated on Silver during the first season of Black Sails in the same way, and he's one of the best characters on that show now.

Anyway, I finished all of Marco Polo, including the 100 Eyes origin story episode, and I gotta say it's a great show. So much poo poo goes down at such a great pace once it gets past the setting up process of the first few episodes. It's got some awesomely charismatic and memorable characters and such a rich and interesting setting. My only bummer going into season 2 is Sidao was such a great villain, it's a testament to his portrayal that I'm sad to see such a sadistic, sleazy prick get offed, and I hope they can establish a new central antagonist that's half as good

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Since this is about the only thread where anyone has talked about the truly prestigious, better than just about every other show currently airing but criminally overlooked crime drama Gomorrah, I wanted to come itt to give my Gomorrah lovin peeps the heads up that the second season is now airing, with two episodes having already been released. To nobody's surprise, both episodes have been great, totally brutal, intelligent, tense and complex. Both continue the major, overarching plots and character developments with aplomb, while also feeling like their own short films to start the season, with complete arcs satisfyingly done in each episode that set the table, serve you the first two filling courses, and has you still greedily anticipating every last morsel this addicting Italian cuisine has yet to offer.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Alright, so after giving the first episode a shot a few years ago and not being especially taken with it, I've decided to give Vikings another shot. Is there some point where it kicks into high gear that I should stick it out for, or will I know in the first few episodes whether or not my first impression was correct?

The first season started out slow for me too when I first watched it when it came out. like a poster just said, first season is a bit disjointed, Gabriel Byrne is miscast imo, there's some subplots that are a lot more boring than others, but it's definitely worth sticking with, as it becomes an addictive, hardly ever a dull moment or character type show once it finds it's groove. The second season also starts off with a lot of steam and the show elevates itself even more. You should definitely stick with it as you're able to binge watch your way through the early episode hump and quickly get to when it truly starts excelling.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Does that actually matter for an actor's career when the film is getting demolished by the critics? Genuine question.

Why should it? It's not like his acting is what makes it a critical failure, or he's a diva who's had a hand in the movie sucking by creating a poisonous atmosphere, or hasn't already proven he can turn in a top notch, scene stealing, charisma packed peformance when working with good material.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I watched the first episode of the Girlfriend Experience and thought it should have been named The Boredom Experience. It was just so unbelievably dull to me. Every character(especially the protagonist) seemed so uninteresting, blasé and just like an uncharismatic carbon copy of every other young urban NYC professional character archetype from other similar shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Geekslinger posted:

Deadwood is one of my favorite shows of all time. Back when it was airing I was the original OP for all the season threads.

Olyphant was one of my draws to Justified, but I have noticed a lot of Deadwood alumni showing up through the seasons, so that is a bonus. He was a much angrier character in Deadwood for sure.

Yeah he was, and also always deadly serious and he seemed like he was pissed off that he didn't have a good reason to be violently pissed off even when he wasn't actively engaged in a conflict with someone.