Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Burden posted:

I hate everyone who recommended The Wire. I am addicted. Just starting the 3rd episode of the 4th season in a little under 3 weeks. This might be the best HBO show, even better than The Sopranos which I really do love as well.

I'm in the exact same situation. I really wasn't taken with the first few episodes, but this forum kept plugging it so I felt like I should at least finish the first season. I'd go back and watch maybe an episode a month, and then I hit the 6th episode or so of the first season a couple weeks back and now I'm nearly done season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bobby The Rookie posted:

And as for The Wire, just power through the first season- I was the exact same way, I couldn't really get into it, but it turns out it's secretly amazing, you just don't know it yet until you watch all of it, and then just keep going. Keep going and never look back until it's all over.

Same here. The first five or so episodes were good, but seemed really tedious for some reason. I'd go back and watch another one every couple weeks because I'd heard it got better, but I just couldn't get into it. And then all of a sudden in the sixth or seventh episode something clicked and I blew through to season 5 in just a couple weeks.

On the recommendation of a friend I watched through Suits. I really enjoyed it, the dialogue is fairly clever and most of the characters are really well-written. I'm getting kind of tired of the main characters repetitive apology speeches, but on the whole it was pretty good.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

I think one of the stumbling blocks for Mad Men is the fact that it's one of the only smash-hit television dramas without any violence, especially among cable/paid networks like AMC/FX/HBO. It's still a excellent show, just trying to explain why many find it slow and boring at first.

Tell that to Guy Mackendrick :colbert:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I started in on The Shield a couple weeks ago, and I'm up to season 4. It's a pretty good show! My biggest problem is Aceveda; he started as one of the most interesting characters, but his character just kept getting more and more inconsistent with no real explanation. Now I'm finding him nearly unbearable, I'm pretty much tuning out whenever he's on screen.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Even before that a lot of stuff he was doing didn't make a lot of sense. Heck, the immediate aftermath of the rape was the most consistent he'd been since the first season. Then it went back to more of the same.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

pigdog posted:

It's true, he's bad, and his family later in the series is even more useless.

However, you don't watch Deadwood for him, you're watching it for Al Swearengen and the rest of the cast. Stuff they do gets progressively more awesome as the series goes on.

His character is pretty lame compared to the rest of the cast, but after watching him in Justified I don't think it's because he's not a solid actor.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, last season's thread was 90% talking about how awesome the show was and 10% talking about how bad the opening was. I always thought it was ok and didn't really understand what everyone had against it.
I thought the use of voiceover quotes from the pilot was kinda tacky at first, but it doesn't really bother me any more. The rest of the intro is pretty good.

e: and since that wasn't really on-topic, I'll mention that I finally got started on Lost. The first season was really good; the actual they're-stranded-on-an-island part was a bit lame, but the character interactions and flashbacks were great.

Then I started season 2 and almost immediately lost interest. The big reveal of what was down the hatch just doesn't appeal to me at all. I was also pretty disappointed that Kate's original crime was, imo, a lot less interesting than the previous ones we'd seen. It still seems good enough to keep watching, but I don't think I'll keep up the same pace as I did for season 1.

e2: bold is not spoiler...

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 21, 2012

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What? The reveal and particularly the credits scenes are what made that episode loving horrifying.
Yeah I agree. You guys are nuts, White Bear was incredibly tense for most of the episode and then the reveal brought in that deeply uncomfortable feeling that Black Mirror is so good at. The third episode of the second season was fairly underwhelming, it's definitely my least favorite overall. Wasn't a huge fan of the first episode of the first season either. Still worth watching all of them, it's an incredibly well done series.

And Utopia is amazing, it was worth watching for the soundtrack alone. It has such an amazing unsettling ambiance, I hope they do another series although I'm not entirely sure what direction they could go in.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Just finished the first season of American Horror Story. I remember reading some of the first reactions to the pilot and it sounded pretty awful. Turns out it's pretty well put together, I'm usually not a huge fan of horror but it's creepy in a great way and I really liked how they built up the mythology.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

It doesn't really get any better. Maybe hang in there until the end of the first season, it's only 6 episodes total.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Shadow posted:

Also the double-tap with his ring.
Did he do that at all in season 3?? Kinda weird, it was such a big deal in season 2.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm on the last episode of Hell on Wheels season 1, started it last weekend. Really enjoying it, a bit heavy-handed in a few places but nothing deal-breaking and it's getting more entertaining as the season is coming to a close. Does it keep it up?
There are a few weak spots but in general I think it keeps getting better. A new season just started and I'm really liking it so far.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I dropped it after 3 episodes, it's trash.

Wish I hadn't decided to give season 2 a chance at all since the first season's ending was fine.
I liked the first season but didn't bother to check if there was a second, given how it ended I kinda thought it was a one season deal anyway. Guess I won't watch it!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Just finished A Very Secret Service. Fantastic show, it's absolutely hilarious. It's in French with subtitles and it has a bunch of background details and tie-ins, so it doesn't make a great watch-in-the-background show, but it's well worth paying your full attention to. Can't wait for the next season.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I sort of lost interest in Hell on Wheels sometime during the final season, but I saw it was up on netflix so I decided to watch through the last dozen episodes. The show was shaky a lot of the time but drat did they ever nail the ending, I'm really glad I got around to finishing it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I think there's just a catch-all Marvel Netflix thread. But basically everyone says it's the worst of the four shows, even the people who like it.

I don't think it's any worse than Luke Cage, or S2 Daredevil. A lot of it was stupid but there were some good episodes and a few interesting characters.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 27, 2017

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Has anyone else been watching Colony? I thought the first season was okay but not fantastic, didn't really care to keep up with season 2. The second season got put up on Netflix and I've been blowing through it, it got real good imo. I remember a bit of posting about the first season that lined up with my impression of it, but I don't think I've seen the second talked about much at all.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the dubbed version is default on a lot of them. I noticed it with Rain and with that Spanish heist show, both of which I was kind of interested in but skipped once I realized they were dubbed. I guess you have to go and choose the original language and then subtitles to get the original. Which is definitely a preferable option but not one I ever really thought of until you mentioned it.

I'm dumb.

The dubbing on money heist is pretty good I thought. Excpet for that one guy's laugh

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Klaaz posted:

I just don't get it. Why wouldn't you listen it in the original Spanish language? It's part of the charm, part of the characters.

I usually have TV on in the background while I'm doing other things so having to read subtitles doesn't work too well

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

wormil posted:

It's the best show no one watches. I've seen it twice and if they ever do a s2 will probably watch it a 3rd time.
I have fantastic news for you!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Recently got an Amazon prime account so I've been making my way through some of their stuff. Re-watched Patriot with a friend who hadn't seen it before, it took him a couple episodes to get into it but by the end he was clamoring for the next season, really looking forward to that.

After that we watched American Gods, I read the book ages ago and only vaguely remember it. Real weird show but I liked it and more Ian McShane is never a bad thing. I don't recall the end of the season matching up with the events of the book, so I'm interested in where they're gonna take it.

Finally we binged through The Tick. Wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, I'd heard some good things about it here but otherwise I'd seen no mentions of it. It was really funny, and it's great to have a goofy fun super hero show after all the super-serious grimdark stuff we've been seeing recently.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I watched most of the first season of Blacklist a while back, got kinda bored of it at the time. Ran out of other stuff I wanted to watch so I went back to it. I'm just starting season 4 now, and oh man. I like how they've been shaking it up every season instead of sticking to the paint-by-numbers procedural Spader-being-Spader stuff from the first season, and season 2 was actually really good, but wow has it ever gone off the rails in late season 3/early 4. The show has officially made the transition from fun-goofy to dumb-goofy.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Me and the SO just casually put on Nightflyers as something to watch while eating. It took like 4 weeks to muster up the will to finish it (we figured we might as well finish it), but what a terrible show. Don't bother with it.

I hated every minute I don't know why I finished it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I bounced off the first episode real hard a couple times, ended up just moving on to episode 2 and that one was fine. I did end up missing a few important plot points that caused me a bit of confusion later but at least it got me into the series. The rest of it is real good.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm just gonna watch it because it has Starbuck but it seems like nobody likes it. But it can't be worse than Nightflyers, right? Right??
Nightflyers is definitely worse. Don't watch Nightflyers. This one is also very bad though.

Plotwise it's like Nightflyers except whoever staffed the mission had just seen Prometheus and was like "I need you to find me a crew exactly as useless, immediately"

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Wife and I have been binging The Politician on Netflix.

I'm getting a second-hand political exposure from friends and acquaintances so the series speaks to me. It's wild. Sometimes uneven, but the production value is very high and the cast hams it up to 11.
This show is really loving weird but I'm enjoying it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Torquemada posted:

A reminder that Disney let everyone know Palpatine was alive via Fortnite.
I don't play fortnite and I was avoiding spoilers very deliberately, so I was super confused at the start of that movie.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Binged through the first season of Ted Lasso over the weekend, and got a good ways into Brand New Cherry Flavor today. Both shows are really good but going from one to the other so quickly may have caused some emotional whiplash.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Buttchocks posted:

Also Netflix lied to me; Anna Taylor-Joy is barely in this.
Ha, I always thought that was funny. As soon as Queen's Gambit got popular they switched the thumbnail.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Finished search party. That was not where I expected things to go! First season was the strongest but I enjoyed all of it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I thought season 2 was pretty bad, the characters act weird and the new Spartacus doesn't really fill the role. Things get much better in season 3. And as mentioned you should watch gods of the arena, it was really good and it introduces a character that shows back up during s3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the second - and final - series of Carnival Row, which took a long time to come around. I feel the writers were more focused on the world and setting, which get a lush portrayal, than on story and character development. It shows a lot of promise in parts, but it also just feels like Orlando Bloom admiring his own reflection. The whole thing tries to be a detective noir murder mystery, high fantasy, steam punk and an extremely US centric political and moral allegory, but it ends up - especially due to the final episode - to be little more than a lot of wank.
I remember that I liked season 1, but it was so long ago that I've forgotten everything that happened. If it were continuing I would probably watch it but knowing that this is the last season I don't think I'll bother getting back into it. Even allowing for covid delays, four years between seasons is insane.