Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I recently finished Series 5 and 6 of Doctor Who, and holy crap this show has the perfect mixture of whimsical charm and crushing loneliness, I've never seen a show like this before. Series 6 I thought had a little too much River Song/Amy, but it was really interesting learning the back story, and I hope that Series 7 is also similarly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My dad got Ken Burns' Civil War series, and we're watching that now. The casting for this is great; Jack McCoy is the perfect voice for Lincoln. :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Just finished up Dollhouse, interesting concept if not a little too "action gurrl"-y by the end of it. Now I'm thinking of starting Battlestar Galactica, although I may just watch the miniseries at first.

e: Oh cool, Agent Ballard is in here too.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 8, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khorne Flakes posted:

I did the same starting on Christopher Eccleston's Doctor and you really don't need to know anything about the series, starting there works perfectly fine.

Hell I started with Matt Smith, and that made it even more enjoyable (especially with the Daleks).

Internet Meme posted:

I started binging on Breaking Bad. The weird thing is that I hated the show at first, it just became more and more painful to watch as the characters self destructed. And there's no humor or comic relief, it's all tension and drama. I decided to give up halfway through the second season and went ahead and spoiled myself on the entire series. Somehow, that's made it watchable, I'm now deriving some sick pleasure knowing exactly what shitstorm is around the corner.

I feel evil watching it, and I love it.

I gave up around the start of season 3, I'm planning on catching back up over spring break but it's somehow harder to go through than Dexter Season 3.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doom Rooster posted:

Upon the recommendation of pretty much everyone, I finally started up The Wire. I am 2 episodes into Season 2, and wondering when it picks up and becomes good.

So far, the characters are pretty one-dimensional, there isn't any suspense, no compelling master plan, very little intrigue, and very little action. Please tell me it gets better, because I was really hoping for another series that could get close to how good The Shield was.

Little late on this, but keep on until the end of Season 3, at least. S2 is the most standalone and S3 completes the arc that's established in S1 but only referenced in S2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Eugh, I've really disliked all of Matt Smiths Doctor so far. I couldn't even make it through that season.

There's a reason people are campaigning for Benedict Cumberbatch to take over the role.

Smith is pretty much objectively better than Tennant and had his moments when he was better than Eccleston (although I thought Nine was better overall).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrakkorzog posted:

Yep, while the third season is hit and miss, mostly missing, the third season finale is pretty damned crazy.

It's even better if you've heard people bitching about the ending to the series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm going through Supernatural right now and so far I'm really enjoying Season 6. Sam being a :spergin: is the most amazing thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pollyanna posted:

I've been going through the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and gently caress me are there some real jackasses in this show. Ramsay isn't the problem, it's people like the owners of Dovecote and Flamangoes and poo poo that get on my nerves. They're all self-deluded, clueless jackasses that can't cook their way out of a paper bag. Who the gently caress just up and one day goes "hm, owning a restaurant sounds cool, I'll get right loving on that out of loving nowhere"? Jesus, these people are absolute spastics.

That's why only 30% of restaurants make it past the first year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Equester posted:

I spend the weekend bingin through first season of Supernatural, missed the series back when it was aired originally and only remembered it, since it got mentioned here or in another thread. Do they keep up the monster of the week format in the later seasons or do they get more season long story driven? I don't mind the whole monster of the week format, but I honestly prefer the other type.

Seasons 1 & 2 are mostly monster of the week with some overarching story about Yellow Eyes. 3-5 are one big story about demons, with some random monster stories to break it up a little. Season 6 has some drama so far but it's very disorganized, and I haven't gone past that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Equester posted:

Just finished season 8 of Supernatural and holy gently caress have I enjoyed all the seasons. I'm most likely in minority here, but I found season 5 to be the weakest. It reminded me a lot of the season of Buffy, where she basically spend half of every episode crying. It just seemed like every episode had to have Sam and Dean in some way stating that they didn't trust each other. It wasn't a bad season or anything, I just got tired of that.

I also just finished season 8, and the one thing it unambiguously had over season 5 was the :krad: finale (granted, firebombing an archangel was cool but they also just solved the whole issue by jumping in a pit). I still really enjoyed S5 though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished catching up on Breaking Bad, and it's been a hell of a ride. I still have the episode from last week to finish but I'm very excited to see how all of this is going to end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I finished the first season of Fringe recently, I liked it but for a long time it didn't really seem sure whether it wanted to stick to "vaguely plausible" like the pilot or the chimera episode or explicit science fiction/fantasy like the Observer episodes and all of the alternate world stuff. I hope the next season(s) deal with this though, because that last scene was certainly memorable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nate RFB posted:

4 is pretty wacky but they somehow still really nailed the humor; there are a lot of memorable moments and episodes. 5 is the first one that was a bit inconsistent, which got worse and worse with Seasons 6&7. Thank god 8 was such a return to form.

Season 2 is one of my favorite seasons for a comedy while we're on the topic.

To be fair to Season 7 that was right about when the writer's strike happened so everything going to poo poo was incidental.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

futurememory posted:

I've been attempting to binge BSG for the past couple of months now, but holy hell, is it hard to get through. Not because it's not quality, but more because of how intense and relentless it is. There are very few cheery things aboard Galactica. Does anyone else ever feel this way about some shows? That they're really hard to digest in large chunks?

Anyway, I'm in the middle of season 3. Enjoying it thus far.

I have definitely felt this about BSG, and to a much greater extent Mad Men (I was able to power through Season 1 but I think I quit about halfway through season 2 and haven't revisited it since).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished Fringe, and wow, what a way to go. It was definitely uneven, and some plot lines just stopped all of a sudden (specifically the closing the Bridge plot should've been a season finale and then misc ones like the Peter as Observer arc ) but it ended perfectly, and that made up for it in spades. (I also personally enjoyed the stuff about Peter being erased from time more than the Season 3 buildup of "Oh Peter has to face his destiny!" )

Poor September. :(

computer parts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

devmd01 posted:

Just started on the Doctor Who reboot, but it hasn't quite grabbed me 5 episodes in. How long should I stick it out for things to start getting good? I realize that this first season was pretty low-budget, but there are some flashes of the overarching time war stuff that moderately pique my interest. When does the more serial stuff start, or is it just sprinkled throughout in nuggets?

the sixth episode is called "Dalek". I would watch that one.

e: At the very least make it through episode 10 (the two parter "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

whatshesaid posted:

Sorry for the double post. I'm about to watch the season finale. I might start Fringe next. Thoughts?

Season 1 of Fringe is kind of a "weird stuff happens and midway through here's a villain to satisfy you". Seasons 2 & 3 have a clear result that they're building to, so most people like those the best. Season 4 changes a lot, but I personally like it a lot as you have characters rediscovering each other. Season 5 goes off the rails and is only 12 episodes, but it's pretty great.

In general, the series suffers from not pacing plot lines too well, but it's really great for character moments.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CaptainHollywood posted:

I only have two episodes left Walking Dead season 4. I realized it's big problem. They have to stretch about 2-3 hours of storytelling over 8+ hours. AMC should have really made it "Event Television" by having TWO 2-Hour episodes of Walking Dead a year. One in the Spring. One in the fall.

I noticed this around midway through Season 3, but it was okay. It's actually nice to have a story breathe occasionally, instead of just being frantic action (I haven't seen Season 4 yet but "Clear" was an example of an episode that could've been a subplot of an episode but turned out being a really great hour of TV).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It gets better. I'm getting toward the end of Season 2, and Fringe really excels when it gets into the deeper mythology and moves away from monster/case/terrorist attack-of-the-week episodes. It shouldn't be too long before it picks up steam for you. For what it's worth, I've enjoyed it a lot more than watching Agents of SHIELD and even The X-Files (back in the day), and I'm sure it will end up as one of my all-time favorite shows despite its slow start.

Yeah, I would say Season 1 of Fringe is almost as far away from the rest of the series as Season 5 is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

calandryll posted:

I'm finishing up on season 5 of Supernatural. Is it worth continuing or just stop here?

It gets weak for a little while but by season 8 it's pretty good.

e: specifically, season 6 is kind of aimless (for good reason but still ) and season 7 is solid but kind of divisive because the antagonists are totally new creatures.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobkatt013 posted:

It was when it aired.

A major part of the episode was about telling Peter though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm about halfway through Season 8 of Supernatural and I was wondering does Jeffery Dean Morgan ever show up again? I really like him. I'll take a guess that he doesn't since he hasn't been on the show for like 6 or 7 years.

He's said he won't show up again until the final season, which is probably a while off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Honestly there's something to be said for Case of the Week stuff. I mean yeah I enjoy serialized stuff, but sometimes I just want to pick 6-7 random Law & Order episodes and just roll with them, and it works fine as long as you accept that different actors will play the cops and/or ADAs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mrfart posted:

I'm so glad I watched breaking bad when it aired. Nobody was shouting BEST SHOW EVER, MUST SEE! back then.
I think a lot of people start watching it now expecting every second of it to be artistically on par with the Sistine chapel or something.

People were shouting that since at least Season 4 aired and I know because I caught up to it on Netflix before the second half of Season 5 aired.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

empty sea posted:

I've finally been catching up to Arrested Development on Netflix and in episode 7, when Gob is staring into space and "hello darkness, my old friend..." started playing, oh Lord, I laughed my rear end off. It's the perfect joke, because the audience knows what he should've/would've said at that point, but didn't. Instead, we got a nostalgia song and a new joke. Beautiful, just beautiful. This show is amazing.

"Oh, it's not us".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished Leverage, and while the whole series was very entertaining, the final episode just sort of...ended. I get that it was cancelled but I heard that this ending was sort of planned in advance so it seemed kind of weird. Pretty good show though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Zeta posted:

I love Fringe overall but season 1 was bad. So loving boring.

My problem with it is that sometimes it wanted to be outright magic and sometimes it just wanted to be a slight exaggeration of reality. Thankfully we had the end of S1 to clarify which they were going for.

(and that was legitimately the biggest "holy poo poo" moment I've had)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Basically this. The original plan was for 5 seasons, and it shows, season 6 onwards goes all over the goddamn place and, from what others have told me, it never really settles on anything close to those first five seasons.

The first two seasons are about as aimless as anything after Season 5.

Actually Season 7 is pretty tightly plotted it's just starring a major villain that the audience had never heard of before so it was "boring and no reason to care about them".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nwin posted:

Is oz worth watching? What about house of cards? Mad men?

Never watched Oz. House of Cards is a political thriller that's about manipulation and is light on the violence, it's pretty fun. Mad Men I haven't seen much of but it's very...tiring. By which I mean it's not something you can just binge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chamberk posted:

Can't speak much for the first two, but Mad Men is one of my all-time favorites, as my gang tag may show.

The wife and I are working our way through House, which is both amusing (due to Hugh Laurie) and good background noise when we aren't paying attention. We're mid-season 4 right now, so the new cast has all been introduced. I stopped watching about mid-season 5, so everything after that will be new to me.

The next two seasons are really weird but the last season is about as good of a sendoff as you can expect for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So Netflix put up the entire series so far of Criminal Minds. Is it an enjoyable show?

It's not what I would call a deep show but it's very fun, and it breaks the trope of "detective has a lovely family life" for at least two of the main characters.

It's also fairly unique in that they've only had two (?) main cast replacements in 10 years so if you like those characters, you'll probably still like them 6 years later.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
S7 of scrubs was kind of hosed by the writers strike, it was originally supposed to be the series finale too.

Drifter posted:

Laverne died?

Jesus it's been YEARS since I've seen the show. Loved what I remember of it, though.

Yes, and then her identical twin sister turned up to replace her. No, I'm not joking.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helpimscared posted:

I binged through Orange is The New Black, thanks to Netflix just continuing to play episodes without even telling me I had finished Season 1 or anything.

House of Cards also (potentially does this). Thankfully in both cases it's much clearer where the second season ends.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pigdog posted:

Secondly, what a great loving show. Wasn't completely sure what to make of it at first, the first episode was really gratuitous and mostly about embarassment humor, which I'm not a great fan of, but it got better and better, even if not necessarily more realistic. Didn't think there was a single boring minute all season. Bring on Season 2, I'm assuming Chapman turns into Walter White, but I'm down for whatever. :allears:

S2 is much less focused on her, so be warned (the main antagonist actually has only like one scene with her in the same room). It's still a lot of fun though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just started watching How I Met Your Mother. I've avoided the show for the longest time because it just didn't sound very interesting. Maybe I'm just desperate for another show to binge through, but so far I'm liking it a lot. I'm about 10 episodes into season 2. With so many seasons I'm expecting it to drop in quality once these current plotlines wrap up, but I'm hoping not too much.

Please report back after you finish the series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

I started watching House of Cards. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I'm a few episodes in and it's growing on me.

I don't know if you've seen Arrow but the second season of both of those shows features an ever increasing ratcheting up of tension, it's great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rocksicles posted:

I watched Person of Interest when it first came out. I got bored after 6 episodes, But just started watching it again. I skipped a whole bunch of season 1 and came in for the end of season 1. I'm now on season 4 episode 3 and i'm completely in love with Amy Acker all over again.

Glad i waited so it just flows, season 3 got a bit wacky

I haven't caught up with this because it's not on Netflix (until like the end of summer 2015) but from what I've heard the first season drags a little then picks up near the end and it's great ever since.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be starting Black Mirror because of the wild acclaim here but I imagine it won't be pretty (in a good way).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr E posted:

Just finished S6 of Supernatural after a pretty long break after watching S5 last year. Does this show get terrible or anything, because I'm honestly surprised just how much I still enjoy the show, most don't keep my interest for this long.

Season 6 is probably the shakiest. Season 7 a lot of people hate because of the antagonists but I didn't think it was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, there are many times when he does it in other people's presence. With Linda, and Bob (I think). I also believe he does it a bunch when he's down home, after the car accident issue with the peach.

Edit: pretty sure he's done it in front of the president, too.

I think they mean in the BBC version he only does it when alone.

My favorite use of that was actually when he was talking to someone he found annoying (might've been the president?) and he just looks at the viewer and eyerolls.