Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started watching some Welcome Back Kotter for fun, holy poo poo I forgot how amazing the opening is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU Such a nice tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just binged the first season of The Wire and holy poo poo its so good. I don't think I've ever seen this much realistic portrayal of street life. First few episodes were really hard to get into until you figure out all the pieces and players in this whole thing but after episode 4 its pretty good and has great pacing. I thought it was gonna be a slog because of the subject being so dire(wiretapping) but it is really as good as people say. Hopefully the next seasons are great too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya that is always jarring and its something I hate in novels but its not as common in shows. I mean if the series is good you will learn to love the new characters.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Binged the last three episodes yesterday myself. I'm not in the US, so I had not attachment to the man or the media circus around it, but it was very compelling. Really was up there with the best dramatisations I've seen like Behind the Candelabra and the Dr Kevorkian HBO one.

The actor that played Darden did a tremendous job.

Ya same as someone who wasn't old enough to follow the trial when it was happening and not being in the US. Its crazy how big this trial really was but so many younger people now know nothing of it. I also liked how the show doesn't really side with the defense or prosecutor. It just lays out the facts and how the trial went. You can make up your own mind as to what the truth is.

The actor who played Darden was great but really loved the portrayal of Johnnie Coachran not seen much of that actor either. Reading about Johnnie Coachran it does seem he was really theatrical and flashy in the courtroom which the actor did a great job of doing. The casting overall was great most of the actors sort of look like whoever they are portraying but Cuba Gooding Jr doesn't look anything like OJ.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kept on watching The Wire after season 1 and season 2 is as good. I know some people didn't like the setting changing completely but it just fleshed out the crime scene in Baltimore even more. How the drugs come from the ports and who is involved. I like how the series shows you all the levels of crime from organizational to individual you see the effects of drugs having ripples througthout the entire city and how it affects everyone. I will take a break and watch something else before watching season 3.

Also before winter is coming meme there was the Omar is coming meme.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished watching the 2nd season of Narcos. It was good but it felt kinda drawn out. Season 1 was interesting because the drug empire starting from nothing and how the behind scenes worked. Like how they hid the drugs, the drug labs they innovated etc...Season 2 was just Escobar hiding > retaliating > hiding in repeat. Thats the entire plot of season 2. I know its based on real events so they couldn't change anything but maybe they should have made season 2 8 episodes or something.

Still interested in the Cali cartel season 3 and post Escobar Columbia.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

The problem with Narcos is that season 1 covers way too much story, so it feels kinda rushed. And then season 2 covers way too little, so it kinda drags

That and Wagner Moura's accent

Yes I definitely felt in season 1 too much was happening. Pablo suddenly was a kingpin in like 1-2 episodes. They could have expanded on a lot of the things in season 1 so it would leave some stuff for season 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Binge watched 5 seasons of Always Sunny since the start of June and it is definitely an awesome show. For some reason I didn't see it get as hyped up as shows like Arrested Developement, Parks Rec, Community but its probably better than all those bar Arrested Developement which is probably as good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I am sure putting it on FXX didn't help but it seems to have a decent size fanbase and that are REALLY into it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am liking it a lot more than you but ya the fanbase is definitely cult like Seinfield/Lost levels they can quote all the memorable moments. Thats a good thing imo but when you start as a fan you are kinda lost.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

There are going to be as many #1 favorite Always Sunny episodes as there are fans of Always Sunny. I'm a big fan of "Mac and Charlie Die".

That one is really good. Especially Mac being brain damaged after the crash and going on about the bride's dress. Who Pooped the Bed is also good. Never liked Artemis's character until that episode where she breaks down who pooped.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

However, I think Episodes is the best comedy of recent times. Took me a few episodes to get into it but once I did it's virtually a perfect show.

Matt Leblanc is just great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhyynQX2WIc

Ya Episode is great it has a bit of british humor which I love. I only watched 2 seasons but it ended so well that I didn't really feel the need to watch the following seasons. Also I think they took a break after season 2 so season 3 came way later.

Talking of British shows has anyone watched Darkplace or Alan Partridge. If you like comedy those shows are really great but don't really get talked about in the US.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty much been binging watch Its Always Sunny in Philly whenever I can. I am at season 11 now. This show is really consistent imo nearly every season has many memorable epsidoes.
Really hilarious and for me only maybe Arrested Development is as funny this.

Started watching Futurama. I had seen a few seasons ages ago but completely forgot about it. Have finished 2 seasons so far and Futurama basically just reminds me of the good episodes of Simpson. Takes a current topic, jokes on it without being too brash and yet still being poignant. There are some episodes that completely miss but for the most part the cast is really likeable and more interesting than Simpsons for me.

I will probably continue with the Wire Season 3 which I stopped a few months ago.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bina posted:

I am also binge watching Kitchen Nightmares on Hulu. I am currently on a season one episode where there are literal goons running a restaurant.

I want to punch Brian.

It's Hannah and Mason's resuraunt.

Ah that show actually made me scare of eating out for a while. Haha.

Is there any shows like Shark Tanks? I been binging that with my brother whenever he comes over and its informative/ lots of fun.

I haven't seen the Canadian version but I heard its worse?(am from Canada).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I ll check out the British version. The Canadian one was good in the earlier season with Kevin O'Leary.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Arrested Developpement Season 4 and The Wire season 3.

Arrested Developpement's non chronological timeline and single character pov per episode was interesting at first but got old very fast. Also some characters like Lucille/Buster got only a single episodes dedicated to them while some characters had way too many. Many scenes were reused from the point of view of other characters. Format complains aside and some characters being underused. The comedy and writing was great as usual.

Loved the Tobias/Gob arc. Tobias trying to get his poo poo back together by buying a mansion he can't afford, dating a drug addict and working at a rehab center only to advance his musical career was hilarious. I am always surprised how little work David Cross gets.

Gob's rivalry with Tony Wonder(Ben Stiller) was really fun. Will Arnett and Ben Stiller have great chemistry together. There were many special guests on this season but Ben Stiller was by far the best.

The Wire season 3 was just more The Wire. Sad to see the port/cargo area from season 2 completely ignored except for 1 single shot of Frank sobotka. The intelligence unit's didn't really have a clear target for most of the season. They focused a bit on Brodie then Marlo then Stringer. Loved the outlook into the higher players in this game of power/money with freaking Lord Baelish as a potential mayor.

The finale was great, one of the best characters is gone but he had a great arc throughout the show. Will probably watch season 5 after a while.

Also watched Mindhunters. The cinematography, directorship is all great but imo it felt short in many other aspects such as story, characters and tension.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Are you skipping The Wire Season 4 for some reason? Because that's like the best season.

Oh my bad I meant season 4. Don't know why I typed season 5. I think I was thinking of Arrested Developpement season 5 and got mixed up.

That is good too hear though so far my favorite season was season 2 even though I absolutely hated it at first.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hamsterdam part was definitely random and felt out of place. The entire Bunny part was useless. He only filled the purpose so Stringer could give him important info. They could have done that with Stringer when he lost everything to the Senator and being pissed at Avon. All in all Hamsterdam felt like a giant waste of time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have to watch Dirk Gentley. I remember reading the book a while back and not liking it. I normally ADORE British comedy shows/books but just felt a bit too zany and out there.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So after Always Sunny I was looking for another comedy show. I started watching Curb Your Enthusiams and Trailer Park Boys. So far I have only watched 1 season of Curb Your Enthusiam and I don't have hbo so I can't watch it anymore

I did manage to watch 6 seasons of Trailer Park Boys on Netflix. I really like this show. The story in someway is kinda similar to Always Sunny. Bad people try to get rich but end up failing every time but instead of bad people it is really stupid people. There is always a new plan to get rich but they always fail.

I feel like Always Sunny did a way better job diversifying the schemes and developing the characters. TPB characters are very very one note which is it's strength but also a weak point. I know one is more of a sitcom/dark comedy and the other is parody but still wanted to point that out.

The cycle of planning > doing illegal activity > going to jail is basically the arc of every season. Maybe the writers are trying to send a message of criminals can't really progress in life or it is really hard but actually it just comes off as lazy writing to me because it gives an excuse to not develop the characters at all.

I understand some characters like Ricky are too stupid to progress and that is the whole point but other characters like Julian or Bubbles stay the same from s1 to s6. Lahey and Ricky make sense for not progressing since they have major flaws like one being uneducated, stupid and the other being an alcoholic.

Anyway that's a lot of text. Might seem like I don't like the show but I do like it. I wish they took more risks with character development or introduce new elements/characters into the story. Probably going to keep watching until I don't find it funny.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

TPB owns. Also, all the Curb seasons but I think the most current one are on Prime if you have that or want to sign up for a free trial.

Ya loving TPB so far. Are the movies/specials worth checking out? I am guessing Amazon Prime Video is different than just having Amazon Prime for delivery? Because I already have that. I will still get it though because I didn't know you could watch HBO shows on it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished Castlevania on Netflix. It is very short but I actually liked it a lot and excited for season 2.

I have never played any Castlevania games but love the idea of it. The animation in this show was pretty good, the music is also nice and the writing is a bit jarring at times but funny as well.

What is the general consensus on this show if anyone here watched it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also I forgot, I just finished Black Mirror because friends of mine who have similar taste as me kept recommending it to me. Holy gently caress is it good. The comparison's to Twilight Zone are warranted as it does talk about some very important issues in modern society especially regarding the advancement of technology. A lot of the scary things in this show seem to slowly becoming true which is what is amazing or not so amazing.

The production of the show is also very good and I recognized only 2 actors in season 1 but man most of these actors even in minor roles were great.

I will probably binge season 2-3-4 by next week if it stays as good as it was in season 1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

The thing with Black Mirror that I always tell people is to absolutely not binge it. I feel like just slamming episodes of that show back to back to back without giving yourself time to digest each one is kind of missing the intended purpose of the show. Give yourself a break after each episode if you're not doing so already.

I definitely agree with that too. I might take it slowly since there isn't much of it anyway.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone watched The Frankenstein Chronicles? I am interested in it because of Sean Bean and the last UK murder mystery I saw Broadchurch was great.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cool I'll check it out since it's on Netflix now. Love me some Sean Bean, hopefully he doesn't die in this.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Started watching AMC's the terror and the first 2 episodes are fantastic so far.

Ya it looks great so far, I've read the novel it's based on. It is doing a great job of giving that exact vibe of despair and fear of the unknown the novel has.

E: Also haven't watched Wild wild country yet but Bhagwan in Hindi is the word for God. But I have actually seen some Hindus have that name but it is not common.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hexel posted:

I'm about halfway through Penny Dreadful season 1 and its pretty drat good

I cant believe i missed this for so long

I love the setting, 19th century London is one of my favorites in fiction. It is like the League of Extraordinary gentlemen but with only horror/gothic characters

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Binged season 4 of Black Mirror. I had already watched the first 3 episodes a while back. Man the last 3 episode felt a bit weak compared the first 3. I feel like it was almost impossible to follow up on USS Callister. Arkangel was alright but the concept was very very basic about personal privacy and protection. Crocodile was actually really good and super enjoyable.

Hang The DJ, Metalhead and Black Museum all were decent concepts but didn't have that holy poo poo moment like most BM episodes have. Pretty much all of these episodes were using prior technology and no new concepts.

Anyway still enjoyed it enough to binge the last 3 episodes in one sitting, can't wait for the next season to come out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I saw Deadwood posted it reminded me of Godless anyone seen that on netflix?

Also anyone seen Castlerock any good horror shows other than AHS? I am up to season 3 in AHS.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

nate fisher posted:

First Godless is a decent watch, but it is not in the same class as Deadwood.

Second Castlerock is average with one stand out episode and a blah ending. The Haunting Hill House on Netflix (comes out Friday) is getting good reviews. It looks to be inspired by book instead of a remake of the 1963 movie.

Ya I am highly anticipating that. The book is one of my favorite piece of horror.

I'll check out Godless then, I remember watching the first episode of deadwood and not liking it I definitely have to give a go.

I did also watch Carnivale if anyone remembers that. I always mistook Carnivale with Deadwood.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

You guys binged any good crime/murder mystery show? I am thinking something along the lines of Broadchurch. Murder in a small town type of stuff.

No supernatural stuff or currently airing stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Good idea watching it with someone else. Honestly the LOST threads were better than the show itself in hindsight. Watching everybody react in real time as TWISTS got thrown out there was insanely fun

I don't think that is fair to the show. But I do agree the LOST threads were legendary. Like everyone who watched television was trying to figure what was going. It kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks back in the day where everyone talked about it and had their own theories.

LOST is definitely a enjoy the journey rather than the result type of show though. I haven't watched in a couple of years but when I first watched it the show was already over. I had seen season 1 live when it was airing but never got to watch season 2. But ya as soon as I finished it for the first time, I was like I need to show this to someone else. So ya I did watch rewatch it once with friends then one more time by myself so I've seen it 3 times.

Lycus posted:

Black Mirror is an anthology series, so all episodes are stand-alone.

They are all in the same universe though and there a lot of easter eggs that you will notice if you have watched it in order. If you watch it out of order you will just think it is vanilla stuff. It's just a extra little side thing.

Also on a side note I haven't *watched* Bandersnatch but I did binge Black Mirror a few months ago and all the episodes were good. It's weird how so many people recommend others to skip episodes. I had a friend who was also watching it at the same time as me but his siblings had recommended him which episodes to watch. I watched reviews for all the episodes afterward and there were many episodes I liked that I would have skipped if I just watched the well reviewed ones.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 31, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I've been meaning to give Black Mirror a try but I get the sense its super bleak and dark and I'm never really in the mood for that these days.

This is pretty much the complain I get whenever I recommend Black Mirror to people. I guess it never got too bleak for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone here likes The Thing, I recommend watching Ghoul. It is an Indian(not sure?) Netflix original. It's drat good and super short 3 episodes 45 min episodes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Been revisiting Garth Marenghi's Darkplace lately and I have no regrets (regarding my viewing options, at least).

This show is a legit masterpiece that doesn't get mentioned more often. I really need to watch The IT Crowd because it has two of the actors from it, Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade. Btw is What We do In The Shadows any good? That also has Matt Berry who was amazing in Darkplace.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

I'm amazed at Money Heist on Netflix. I'm on Part 2 and I can't believe how much the Professor has planned out everything.Even hiring outside help when he's caught by the inspector and Tokyo is being transferred to prison.

I been also watching this and love it, in general Spanish media is pretty good and quite underrated.

I just binged through Chernobyl, whenever there is a great show on HBO you hear everyone talk about it and I also many positive things about it on this thread. Decided to just check it on the side monitor while I was playing something but after like 5 minutes I had to stop playing. The production, the atmosphere, the music and the actors were all great. I know someone whose family was affected by this event so I felt extra emotional at some points. Scary, sad and entertaining.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Finished Money Heist Part 2 and thought that this would have been a great finish to the series but then I saw that they have a part 3, which just seems unnecessary.

Ya same thing as another poster said, I started s3 but it feels kinda weird. I guess they had to do it for the money and how much popularity the show gained after getting on Netflix. This could have been a good idea a few years down the line, like a reunion of the gang but the last heist feels super recent in real life and in the shows timeline.

I started Marianne and anyone who thought Hill House was remotely good, should REALLY REALLY watch this. I am just 3 episodes in but digging it a lot and there is quite a few similarities. This is a French show btw.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Starks posted:

Im on episode 4: the spooky parts are great and seriously the old woman is so goddamn creepy.

As you should expect the English dub is awful so just watch it with subs

Ya French is my 2ndary so I didn't bother with the dub either. Also the old woman's face is terrifying even without any of the cg horror moments, just her regular face/expressions are scary as gently caress.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...I mean, we were just talking about how Banshee actually is genuinely good. It's not quite on the same level as Spartacus, but almost nothing is.

I know lots of people here like Banshee and thats cool but I really didn't like it. I guess the main character was unlikeable to me in a very real way. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed Spartacus's first 2 seasons. Now that is cheese being done properly. I didn't watch any of the seasons with the new character.

Also sadly and ironically, the actor died at the same age as the real Spartacus which is just a weird coincidence. Really liked that guy so it was hard for me to get into the new actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just watched 6 of the episodes of Marianne on Netflix and it's pretty spooky. I have to wait for my girlfriend to get back before I finish it up but I'm definitely into it.

I just finished Marianne, I said before it kinda reminds me of House in Haunting Hill but more friends drama instead of family drama. The show is definitely pretty spooky, the last episode was disappointing in that aspect as it wasn't that scary and the ending was kinda weird since they tried to portrait it as a good thing? Not sure why they would happy music over those scenes. Really weird choice of music, not sure what they were thinking. But I was 100% expecting the classic ambiguous horror ending of "maybe there is still something out there". Definitely worth a watch though especially with Halloween around the corner. I feel like if this came out closer to Halloween it would have received a lot more attention.