Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Just finished up "The League" and loved it despite putting off for ages due to knowing nothing about American Football or fantasy sport. Can any-one recommend anything similar? I've already done It's Always Sunny (Also loved that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

joepinetree posted:

Finished Bly Manor. Since there is no thread for it, let me state my problem with it here in as spoiler free as possible:

the problem with the show is that it is a show about rules lawyering ghost rules but the ghost rules are inconsistent and/or make no sense.

I really enjoyed watching Bly Manor but there were a ton of plot holes and inconsistencies. It was like it originally written to be set in the 60s then changed to the 80s midway through filming. I was willing to look past almost all of these problems right up until the last 30 minutes of the final episode which felt like it was written by someone who had only been given a brief overview of the rest of the show.

Why were the cast aged up so inconsistently? We saw Jamie and Owen about 10 years after the events of Bly Manor and they had barely aged at all, then at the wedding (a further 10 years on) they had aged way more the supposed 20 years. Uncle Henry was at least 30 years older. Also any gothic horror story which has a character explicitly tell you it "isn't a ghost story, it's a romance" loses points

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

joepinetree posted:

Started supernatural as my "unwind before bed" tv show. Only 2 episodes in and it scratches that x-files itch.

Man, I wish I could watch early supernatural again for the first time.

It was one of those shows I never intentionally stopped watching but it dropped off my radar somewhere around season 6 then before I know it there are 9 seasons to catch up on. And I've not heard great stuff about the middle seasons.
I think for me the show lost my interest when Dean got brought back from hell to save the world. It felt like the stakes were incredibly low after that.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now I miss Psych again.
Ah and now I just wish it was 2009 again. I also miss Monk and to a lesser extent Royal Pains.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

TheAardvark posted:

Ray Wise as the devil is such an appropriate role that since that show premiered I always assume he's the devil. He just loving is.

I have never seen an episode of Reaper and don't know who Ray Wise is by name, but I still knew exactly who you were talking about.

I've typecast him in my head, entirely from the trailers and marketing I've seen for Reaper.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Are there any recent-ish horror series anyone can recommend? I've done Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, American Horror Story, Lovecraft Country, Supernatural. I know "Them" is on prime but I noticed a goon a few pages back saying it was a less good Lovecraft country so might give it a miss for the time being. Looking for stuff more on the serious side of the scale rather than campy and over the top a la American Horror Story.

Also, to the goons looking for light-hearted low-stakes stuff; it might be difficult to find without :filez: depending on your location, but Hamish and Andy's Gap Year and Hamish and Andy's Perfect Holiday, have been the go-to for my other half and I for winding down since discovering them last year. Two Australian best friends making a light-hearted travel documentary which is mostly a game of one-upmanship, it's nothing groundbreaking but it has a nice friendly vibe. I'd compare it to the tv equivalent of listening to a familiar podcast.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Channel Zero. What you want is Channel Zero.

There are also selected episodes of Inside No 9 (the season finales are always horror, start with them), Castle Rock (not always very scary, but very well written) and Hannibal.

But yeah, Channel Zero is the show you want.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I agree with the post right underneath yours.....Channel Zero. Really really good. In fact....I think I may go back through all four seasons. Quick watches with each of the four seasons clocking in at a little over four hours total (six episodes at around 42 minutes per).

And....while not really a "series"....and not really all that serious for most of them....Hulu has their "Into The Dark" anthology "series" which is actually just a full length horror/suspense/thriller movie which they release monthly. Very hit or miss....but decent to have on in the background if you've got something else going on too.

Thanks, I watched the first episode of Channel Zero when it first aired a few years ago and disregarded it for some reason but it's really hitting the spot this time around.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

True Story. Randos tell stories to Ed Helms and Randall Park, and the stories are humorously dramatized by sometimes recognizable actors. Pretty good formula.

If you're enjoying it, the original Australian version, "True Story with Hamish and Andy" is worth watching if you can find it. I've only seen the first episode of the US version so far but it's exactly the same formula. The only difference is the premiere episode of the Aus version is funnier and more farcical than the premiere episode of the US one which was grander and had more of a "wow" factor. Again though I've only seen the first episode of the US one so the tone might shift.

vv I've only ever seen bits of drunk history from trailers or it being on in the background. But I suppose so in that it's someone telling a story and that being re-enacted on screen. The USP of True Story is that its everyday people telling the story of something funny that happened to them.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 10, 2022

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Just finished season 1 of The Terror and drat. I knew it was a horror series but it's haunting me on an entirely different level than I thought possible. I think it's the first piece of fiction to cause me nightmares since I was a child.

I know nothing about season 2 other than it's an original piece rather than based on a book so I'm hoping it can hold up.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've recently finished Barry and absolutely loved it. The way it switches gears from Monty Python level absurdity to dark and real between two scenes is some of the best comedy mixed with drama I've seen.
For absurdity anything with Hank, for dark and real, Barry executing his ex-army buddy springs to mind.

I've started The After Party on Apple TV, I'm a big fan of Jamie Demetriou and really wanted to love this but it's falling a bit flat for me. Maybe I went in with the wrong expectations. From the write-ups I expected it to lampoon a different cinema genre each episode, but so far the parodies feel almost non-existent and it's just the same story told from different points of view with a hint of romance in one, or a hint of action in another.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've just got done with re-watching Haunting of Hill house for the first time since it was released and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it the second time around, it's starkly better put together than it's follow up "Haunting of Bly Manor". Trying to stay on the gothic horror theme I've started Chapelwaite which is fine but not landing as well for me.

Everyone posted:

Almost through Eureka so I'm starting a re-watch of Psych. James Roday Rodriguez plays Shawn Spenser, a fake psychic with well-developed observation skills and fakes "psychic visions" to give those clues to the police. You start the show thinking it's about a bunch of normal people putting up with this crazy genius rear end in a top hat (so, a bit like Sherlock). But you slowly realize that everybody on this show is crazy.

Psych is my all time favourite comfort TV that I've weirdly never finished. I'm upto somewhere in the penultimate season and every time I try to pick up where I left off I end up re-watching old favourite episodes. I'm in a similar situation situation with Monk too which if you haven't seen has a similar vibe.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

NoDamage posted:

I kind of miss mystery of the week shows like Castle, Person of Interest, and Elementary. Are there any recent shows I've missed that are similar to these?

I'm not sure Psych is exactly recent, it just finished more recently than the others. But 100% watch psych if you missed it.

Whistable Pearl is a British mystery of the week show. It absolutely threw me and my fiance for a loop when they caught the killer at the end of the first episode... then we remembered that this is what TV used to be, rather than the season-long arcs that we're used to now.

But I too miss the mid-late 00's era of "Modern day Sherlock Holmes but psychic/OCD/novelist/magician/mentalist with a pun in the title" USA network shows.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I binged the first season of The Last Kingdom over the weekend. I definitely enjoyed it but felt there were pacing issues stemming from it being based on a book. Things like characters of obvious significance getting barely any screen time and glossing over subplots.

I'm not sure if I'm going to continue on with Season 2 or make the switch to reading the books instead.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Lifroc posted:

Just past halfway in the first season, so I do not expect it to get more exciting until the season finale or the next one.

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's an episode coming up that opens with a woman throwing pencils on the ground while giving a speech, and I think that's the first moment I saw the show the show could be. It does improve a lot, IMO, but when I started the show I started with season two. I don't blame you for being frustrated.

whoa yeah, I was worried you were going to say you were three seasons in and still not enjoying it.
season one is still in mystery/crime of the week mode. Season 2 improves on that a little, season 3 ditches it entirely and more like current prestige TV with season/show long arcs. I've been trying to get my fiance to watch it but she's just not interested in the run-of-the-mill police procedural it looks to be in season one. Definitely don't skip any of it though, all the pieces matter eventually and the payoff is well worth it once it hits it's stride.

Fake edit: And the agressive theme song is entirely in keeping with the personality of the Strike Team :colbert:.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t think he’s complaining about the theme, more that it’s mixed so that you’ll be watching the opening scenes at normal volume and then have JUST ANOTHER DAAAAAAAAYYYY blaring at a significantly higher volume, which yeah, can be annoying watching on a TV.

I understand that and stand by my position. The theme song feels like Vic Mackey kicking your door down.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just started the rehearsal and it's, well, it's something lol

Some of the interactions are so outrageous that they seem fake, but the internet consensus seems to be that it's not really staged in that subjects themselves are not actors.

It's just the little tidbits that make it incredible, like the dude talking about spending time with his grandpa and then just casually dropping in that they watched dragon Ball z together. Just amazing stuff like that. Proof that there are just some genuinely weird people in the world.

If you're not familiar with Nathan Fielder giving people enough rope to hang themselves and reveal inherent weirdness is kind of his thing so I'd be shocked if it was fake. I highly recommend his previous project "Nathan For You" too. The Gas Station and Ghost Realtor episodes spring to mind as great ones and one of the very few times you see Nathan's mask start to slip after someone reveals something about themselves.

Also "How to with John Wilson" (which is produced by Fielder) is great and in a similar vein of spotlighting people's weirdness.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Argue posted:

There seem to be a lot of legal restraints preventing anyone from truly giving us the full scoop but the impression I'm getting from the few people who gave out some info (eg: Jasmine), is that it's not scripted and they don't know what to expect, but they're more primed for weirdness than we're led to believe--like (s3 finale) Jasmine wasn't some girl from OKCupid like the show claimed, she was actually auditioning for, and was told that it was, a dating show, together with several other girls. She and the other girls could all tell it was a mask and they were expecting a gimmick like it would turn out to be Tom Cruise or something.

I must admit I didn't know this but it doesn't worry me too much. I think there is a difference between making up the framing ( i.e auditioning for a dating show Vs being a random match from Hello Cupid ) and feeding them lines. Lying about where he's found people is sometimes necessary for a cohesive story to the episode.

I'd also say it matters who he's doing this with. Jasmine wasn't really the mark in that episode, most of the comedy doesn't come from her reactions she's just there as a reason to do the stunt, the mark is the guy who decided to go along with the scheme. For example I'd be more disappointed to hear that the people in the gas station episode thought they were auditioning for dinner an exploration/hiking show and not just people who decided it was worth climbing a mountain for a 2 dollar rebate

There are also a few times in the Rehearsal that hint the marks know something is up. Angela saying something to the effect of "I understand this is for a comedy show" when she wants to leave. which I guess is part and parcel of Nathan being in the public eye for a while now. I don't think it takes away from the insane things she would come out with on camera though or the fact she went along with it for so long.