Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been thinking about diving into You. One of my friends described it as a mashup of early season Dexter meets The Collector by John Fowles. Is that accurate? Because if it's done well that sounds pretty drat good.

I’m two episodes from finishing the first season. It’s good, though there’s some funny movie logic. It’s like Gone Girl sorta but with the twists put into overdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You has the most plot conveniences of any show I’ve ever seen. It’s engrossing but also not genuinely scary because so much of the unbelievable stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Russian Doll on Netflix is very good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CeeJee posted:

It's one of the shortest binges you could possible have at six times 20 minutes and Derry Girls was an absolute delight. Fortunately it had subtitles to make it possible to follow what was being said even though they made the colossal, unforgivable error of labeling Misrilou as that Black Eyed Peas song.

Wierdly I hope my favourite in the cast, Orla, does not get a more prominent role in the coming season as her expressions in the background are so amazing.

Great show.

Umbrella Academy was alright. I had fond memories of the comic but on a reread it’s like a worse version of the comic Casanova, also drawn by Gabriel Ba. So the tv series actually improved it a lot even though it could’ve been 30% shorter.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished the first season of Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet, an Apple... plus? tv? comedy series about a video game studio. Its created by Meagan Ganz (one of the best staff writers on Community) and two of the guys from Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It's a good show that starts out trying to be heavy on comedy and gets more into the drama aspects as the season goes on. Episode 5 in particular hardly has any laughs, and focuses on a game studio that used to occupy the same studio space before going awry due to lack of commitment to its creative direction.

A lot of best interactions in the show are between Ian Grimm, the creative director, and his head programmer Poppy Li. It's nice to see an asian in a starring role, especially since Community made their only asian character a complete joke and I don't think Always Sunny has any asian characters. She's probably the best character, but other favorites include Danny Pudi playing a comically greedy marketing guy, and David Hornsby as the well meaning executive producer who gets walked all over by the egomaniacs around the office.

It's not a perfect season but its one of the strongest comedies i've come across lately, even if it does take some liberties with the terminology and mechanics of games, and what role people have (like why a programmer would be animating something.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched all season 1 of Fleabag in 2 days and it’s good! Season 2 started strong but then it became too easy to predict what the character would do to mess things up and propel things along so I don’t think I’ll finish it. Very well acted though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kinda mad about this. I finished my Community binge recently and this was one of the best episodes.
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/community-netflix-and-hulu-remove-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I lately binged through The Last Kingdom on Netflix, a series set in the 9th century about the formation of Saxon England and the fights against the Danes (with a little bit of Scots on the side.) It's a very well acting series that runs for 5 seasons, with a charming protagonist in Uthred, a Saxon raised as a Dane who gets involved with pretty much all the major historical events without it ever feeling too contrived (it's a little contrived, in that its the author writing a fictional version of his ancestor being the most badass yet unrecorded cool dude in all of medieval times). Originally it was made by the BBC, and then taken over by Netflix. It reminded me a lot of HBO's Rome. Though a funny thing is even though The Last Kingdom occurs in the Rome's future, every edifice in 9th century England sucks by Roman standards. A few times characters comment on how roman roads and roman buildings left over from past centuries are so much sturdier than anything they now build. The 9th century was a lot of highly flammable settlements with low walls and wooden shields, where kings seemed to always fight at the front lines of battles instead of perching themselves up on a hill where they could survey.

The one caveat is that while the show concludes in a satisfying way at the end of Season 5, it didn't finish the book series it was based on. Netflix commissioned a movie that covers 3 books worth of content in one movie, called Seven Kings Must Die. It's hilariously rushed, basically a season or two of plot in 2 hours. So it might be best to skip it, or go into it knowing that its a cliff notes version of an ending.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 11, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Is the last season the one where UTHRED son of UTHRED gets the priest killed trying to retake his dad's castle? Or is there another after that one?

There's one more after that one.

The movie has one funny line where Uthred, son of Uthred gets a new sword and Finan suggests they name it Uthred, sword of Uthred.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just watched The Gryphon on Amazon Prime, a german show by the same production company as Dark. It's based on a German fantasy novel from 1989, but the tv series does as much as it can to match Stranger Things nostalgia heavy vibe by setting the show in the 90s and using tons of needle drops of popular music. I'm not sure how much changed from the book aside from that because the book was never translated into english. It seems to not have made as big a splash as the producers expected because while it is sorta self contained (as much as season 1 of Stranger Things was anyway) it also hints at future plot elements that may never be covered. There's currently no news of a season 2 being greenlit.

It's well acted with really impressive vfx and practical effects considering its country of origin. The makeup on some of its orc-like creatures is better than what I've seen from shows like Wheel of Time, because they got Guillermo del Toro's people to work on it. While I was watching I felt a similar level of craftsmanship as Pans Labyrinth.

It'll try to play a dub as the default but I switched it to german with subtitles in the first few minutes because the english acting sounds forced. I think the german actors performances are really solid though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Scavengers Reign looks more like a bande dessinee style than anything anime. Every other graduation film from Gobelins is in this kind of style, its through and through french inspired (more specifically seems heavily Moebius.) I would like it if anime was able to simplify down to this, because it allows for smoother movement with less pencil mileage, but anime is much more concerned with painfully intricate character designs.

I've been binging Gravity Falls. It lives up to the hype as a really funny show with a good structure that keeps the story working as both a bunch of individual adventures and a larger mystery.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Blue Eyed Samurai on Netflix was a surprisingly great show. I didn't know what to expect going in but its only a half step below Arcane in terms of beautiful animated shows that also deliver good writing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I also couldn't get into Crashing. Fleabag I ate up, but Crashing just seemed obnoxious.

Spaced on the other hand is great for british 20-somethings antics.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

Nice, definitely keep us posted for season 3 ! I love reading about peoples reactions to this show.

Same, I watched it all in one sitting. I would love to know what next to watch on recently added Netflix animation. I'm debating between Castlevania s4, Onimusha, Pluto, and Arcane, or anything else you guys have to suggest.

Of those, Arcane is the best. An absolute classic. Castlevania Season 4 is decent, Pluto is adapted from good source material but drags a bit, and I haven't seen Onimusha.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I crushed through the entire run of 'Silicon Valley' in about two weeks. Awesome show. Considering that it ended only about four years ago....I had forgotten basically the entire final season. Another show that totally stuck the ending. The entire final episode was a well executed concept.

Yeah I love that show. Its a real shame about Thomas Middleditch, he was also a hilarious guest on comedy bang bang back during those times but now he's persona non grata.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Binged Guy Ritchie's new series, The Gentlemen on Netflix.

I haven't seen a Guy Ritchie movie since Snatch, but I am told by fans of his that he had a slump and that this series is a return to form. I thought it was entertaining enough! Full of stereotypes though. But that seems somewhat standard.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ripley on Netflix is absolutely beautiful. The black and white cinematography is amazing, but it gets extra plussed up by being set in Italy so there's so much amazing architecture to take advantage of for shot composition. And the black and white lets them really highlight where the audience's eye will go.

I don't know if the obsession with Caravaggio was part of the original book but it really helped to highlight the visual splendor.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Armauk posted:

Auggie, the nanotechnology director, played by Eiza Gonzalez, was the worst character -- bar none.

I agree but I was really confused why I felt that. Whether it was due to miscasting or just the way they wrote her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Binged all of Fallout this weekend on Amazon Prime. Great show. One of the best video game adaptions ever made I think, slightly below Arcane.