Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She spent several months in the mines, and it's directly stated they did nasty poo poo to her, so the change isn't out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Another anime binge: GATE

This show feels extremely pro-military and nationalistic in a way I haven't seen an anime like this be in a long time. I'm going to bypass some of the creepy/gross poo poo because the show itself more or less sort of ignores it after the first few episodes, too.

A Stargate opens up in Japan and a bunch of D&D/RPG enemies come out and the JSDF saves the day. The series is now about Japan going through the gate and establishing themselves.

It's Japanese SG-1 vs. D&D cosplayers and the battles end just about as absolutely and one-sided as you would expect.

The last handful of these 'military/war' themed animes I've seen in the last few years feel like they have a very different tone, in this regard. Aldnoah Zero (?) and Attack on Titan, Knights of Sidonia and Blue Submarine #6, and even to an extent the Godzilla episode on Netflix. They all almost have this undercurrent of 'war and conflict are horrible on the world and the people who fight and we need to find peace and harmony again."

Not this show. I can't tell if it's a satire in some ways, but it seems to really revel in how great military warfare is. The series does feel like it is ending abruptly, though. I'm not sure if there are more seasons or anything planned, but the final episode feels as if it has left several unfinished storylines or has quickly just closed the book on them.

The GATE writer is insanely nationalist yes. It’s not satire he loves imperial Japan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Scientology will never become accepted or mainstream as it doesn’t really have any ethos but make money for the upper groups.

While most religions have an ethos and make money for the higher ups.

Also Catholics are um not a minority religion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The shield is weird on the anti fax stuff because while you can read it just being Vic being lovely it’s hard to take anything from it as it’s just kind of dropped with no resolution either way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Just finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Netflix and it was a weirdly enjoyable experience. I know that there's more on Crunchyroll and Hulu but I really don't know how the series continued after this craziness.

If you just saw season 1 and liked it you should continue on. Season 1 and 2 are generally considered the weaker entries and it gets crazier as it goes on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What Tywin isn’t driven by greed, he is driven by a pathological need for his family to be seen as the best do to his childhood of his father getting owned by everyone. Like he just says this in one of the seasons before I stopped paying attention

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair the show slowly goes downhill after the first season. Spartacus absolutely is a 300 but less boring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Games of thrones plot ends basically how it was always building it was just insanely rushed so it was really unsatisfying.

Lost had no plan and just had to end poo poo randomly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mrenda posted:

The Expanse is a really bad and really silly show. The acting, with a few (actually quite good) exceptions, is awful, and it obviously suffers from being something based off an RPG campaign. The characters keep getting in bigger and badder hijinks, completely centering on them, and despite adding more and more people to the show they all become the most super duper important people in the universe. It's entirely run by nerds who think adding bigger, flashier more excitement, excitement after excitement, ramp up the bullshit excitement is the be all and end all of drama.

It's a pointless show that offers zero humanity and is just as much nerd bait trash as the worst of superhero films.

I don’t know if you know this but you just described most Sci fi

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The shield is a show where it’s premise and it’s genre clash a lot.

It’s an action show whose whole premise is against action cliches

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean usually it’s revealed they are lying but it’s dumb either way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I just started S1. Am I just too media savvy for my own good or is every "twist" in episode 1 highly obvious ? Girlfriend is about to get murked, that dude isn't really an FBI agent, she's about to get sexually harassed ? It's good but it isn't subt.... I may have just answered my own question.

The guy who writes those comics was never ever subtle.

The show tones his excesses down a lot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Shirld struggles in that it’s got a good first and last episode, but the middle is just a police procedural

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah that is the main problem Vic is shown as effective and at times the only effective one.

So you get the first and last episode that does condemn Vic while the middle treats him as extremely effective if a bit dirty.

It’s a show that’s extremely confused on what exactly it wants to be. On one hand a drama about a dirty cop, on the other a police procedural where most episodes have at least one crime that must be solved.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 14, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think breaking bad is different. Walt owns his enemies but it’s just two drug dealers fighting.

Vic is a cop which at least theoretically should be a good profession, so showing him doing bad things but those bad things being really effective undercuts any message you can have

The pedophile episode is the best example of that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sad question posted:

If he was completely ineffective in addition to being an rear end in a top hat the show would become a farce, though. It's like if Shane was actually the main character.

Not sure if that would make the show funny or unwatchable.

I think that’s why it doesn’t know what it wants to be. If it wanted to be about a lovely amoral cop, Shane should have been the main character. But it also wanted to be an action packed police procedural, which unfortunately has all the hang ups those shows have

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is a problem where people have become obsessed with learning all the details even if it doesn’t matter. Then getting mad they don’t know the info they feel they don’t need

No one cared about knowing Darth Vader’s backstory to enjoy the original trilogy so I can’t see how anything in the mandelorian would be different

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

She was a very important character in the clone wars cartoon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The clone wars wasn’t obscure until the release of the new movies it was Star Wars. Just because you don’t know something doesn’t make it obscure

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So is Star Wars

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Most people do not hate things in lieu of a personality

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rome is still my favorite of the prestige shows, even if budget problems weaken the second season a lot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean going by the author the main thing he saw as unique was the reluctant hero. Nowadays that isn’t terribly special but at the time it really was.

Though to be honest I didn’t like the wheel of time very much but I can see what he was trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Rewatching the office (us). It feels so stale now, like white bread but somebody lost the plastic clip that keeps the bag sealed.

It is quite interesting to see the contours of white america culture circa 2005-2009 however, no smart phones just flash mobs and references to lady gaga and glee hell yeah. Also everybody talks in this defused hipster accent where nothing can be just said straight.
"Why hi de ho amigos, you might call today Monday but I prefer to call it Mon-baby, cause it's the baby day of the week hello! Air five-o for ya boy-o!"
Anyway, check out the pranks Jim pull on Dwight thread in gbs for more information

fe: like there is a part of me which had warm memories and feelings towards this imperfect show, so I can't knock it completely. But it didn't handle race very well. And other things. But also, the dialog for better or worse set the way much tv dialog would sound for the next decade after it aired. And the cast got filthy rich.

I mean the office is still a pretty popular show, and while the internet seems to have turned on it, o don’t see that popularity waning any time soon.