Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Uba Stij posted:

I'm looking for more political dramas, I've already done West Wing and outside House of Cards I can't really think of many that really grab my attention. Would watching the BBC version of House of Cards be a good launching point?

Politics:
State of Play -- gently caress the Russell Crow remake that shrunk 6 hours into 1.5. Paul Abbot's 2003 political thriller examines the relationships between money, politics and journalism. It is extremely well acted with reliable British staples like John Simm and Billy Nighy and upcoming actors in the states Kelly McDonald (Boardwalk Empire), James McAvoy (X-Men First Class). I refuse to give anything away, but there are some fantastic twists, and a genuine "gently caress Yes!" moment. I can't recommend this one highly enough.

The Thick of It --

"God, right, okay, well, seen as you're not used to this, I'll go through it for you, okay? What happens at a press conference is this: a bunch of press people are gonna appear, they got things called cameras and microphones and mobile phones and hangovers and bad breath. Then you are gonna walk out and you're gonna read from what we call a "prepared statement". In that you will say "I'm really loving sorry for sounding like a hairy-arsed docker after twelve pints. I promise that I will never call an 8-year-old girl a oval office again. Can we now just draw a line over this and loving move on? Thank you". Everybody goes home and then we wait and we see what happens. The best case is you get to keep your job, although you will forever be known as The Sweary Woman of Whitehall."

Veep -- American, but with imported sensibilities. Take the most ludicrious caricatures of Joe Biden and Sarah Palin, staff her with territorial backstabbers who barely function as adults and you get the story of historical footnote Vice President Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Buster Bluth plays himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I liked the UA filler because I liked spending time with the characters. Of course I was hooked from the Tiffany dance off so it was speaking my language from the jump.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

You can see the time loop machinery in not everything needs to be explained you dumb baby

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I had a dream that I binged Seasons 2 and 3 of Fortitude but it turns out that they never made seasons 2 and 3 so they weren't complete poo poo. Just one solid season of television .

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

nwin posted:

gently caress, take back what I said about the Ozarks.

gently caress episode 9 with Ben and Wendy and their hour loving long drive. I get it-he’s mentally ill and they need to have him killed. I don’t need you to take the whole episode to tell me this.

As someone who has a bipolar sibling whose disability manifests itself in what any sane person would consider to be self-sabotage, that episode was riveting. They were spot on, especially Ben's word salad free association in the back of the cab.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

*Staring at glass case emblazoned with "in case of barrel bottom watch Bosch"*

Some lovely trailer really rubbed me the wrong way. "That's not a cop, that's a killer" lmao my man what fictional precinct do you work for.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I was getting by on British crime procedurals but I knew I was a loving junkie when I left London. The locations kept getting quainter as the dialects got more incomprehensible.

Need a fix.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Mrs. Bojangles and I finished binging through Daybreak yesterday and enjoyed it every step of the way.

Are you talking about Taye Diggs' Groundhog Day or the Netflix zombie thing that I wrote off ten minutes in?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'll give it another shot

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's all downhill from that episode.

Disconcur. Out of Gas is great and everything left, other than hearts of gold is solid.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

go play outside Skyler posted:

Seconding this show. It's very entertaining and with a bit of suspension of disbelief, it's totally fun and captivating. I got attached to most of the characters and felt the ending was fulfilling.

So long as you accept it's mystery boxes all the way down, this is a great mindless watch.

Also, 1. the Italian isn't dead
2. the military totally threw the first group in jail

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Travelers was way more engaging and intelligent than I would have expected from a random Netflix show.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

Travelers was really good. The skydiving episode in particular - reminded me of playing a video game over and over learning from each failure.

The best part for me was not realizing that the third season was the last and was two episodes shorter so I went into the finale thinking it was a setup for a season finale so it was genuinely surprisingly when main characters started getting aced.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hustled through White Lines on Netflix. Decent miniseries in the line of the Night Manager and the Widow. Liked it more than the latter, less than the former.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Sherlock is such a fantastic show. I can't believe I did not watch it sooner.

Shame it ended after series 2 with no follow-up. I'm sure they would have kept the quality up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Good news

It has 4 series now

You are incorrect it ended after 2

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Contrary to the stupid picture that makes it look like a teen romance, the Outer Banks is actually an aged up Goonies 3 and it rules.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Homecoming season 2: what if an okay 2 parter was stretched to fill the whole season?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

With one minor plot point change, the Outer Banks could occur in any location only accessible by ferry. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't notice the inaccuracy. Just pretend it's Outer Banks, New Jersey.

I was iffy on the first episode because of some ADR "let's recap" shenanigans, but past that I thought that the show avoided the trap that most of these shows do where characters act irrationally because the plot demands it.

Edit: I want more people to watch so I can talk about it. The only real error the kids made was not being ruthless enough with murdergranny. You guys have great leverage over her. "We sent one girl home. Put down the gun, go upstairs and shut the gently caress up." If we don't come home tomorrow she goes to the cops about the well.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 26, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the second season of What We Do In The Shadows, which continues the wonderful recasting of the movie of the same name. It is just as good as the first season, on which it does rely heavily, with Collin Robinson as my particularly favorite character. Inoffensive, good fun.

Inoffensive? I was promised full bush!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just burned through Salvation series one on Prime. It is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Elon Musk is the protagonist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Raspberry Bang posted:

What!? I had no idea David Simon had a new show! I need to get on this.

Also, The Plot Against America on HBO, which no one watched.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

It was too real and depressing to watch

Word. I couldn't bring myself to start. Maybe I'll give it a shot now that we've defeated fascism forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Another Life is absolutely the worst TV show I've watched in many years.

Season one of "Salvation" is worse. From the "Elon Musk, but attractive" male lead to the "Donald Rumsfeld, but attractive, has plenty of time to leave the office and solve mysteries" to the Q is real and good and will help the secret president take back rightful office" you might forget that the premise involves a planet killing asteroid.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I envy people who get to watch the Magicians for the first time. Just an amazing transition from "eh, it's on" to "I will die for these mumbly twenty-somethings."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

BetterLekNextTime posted:

When is this supposed to happen? I'm a few eps into S2.

They start really going off the books at the end of season 2 and things are about to pop off. Look for the new tone to really take off once Elliot starts singing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On the back half of season 2 the Quentin and friends show starts morphing into the full ensemble and the show is massively better for it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Cop shows used to be so good.

Preach

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Oh and we also started The Magicians, but I'm not sure on that one. Some of the actors are not the best and the writing is a bit cheesy. I've seen it recommended a few times here, but I don't think I'm feeling it. We are only on episode 4 though so maybe we should stick with it? I'm almost hate watching it, but not quite there yet.

I may be the resident Magicians tankie, but I predict you will hate watch until you suddenly realize you love it. The early season and a half are almost directly cribbed from the book, which suffers from what I call the Quentin/Holden problem.

Basically Quentin is written as an audience surrogate specifically for the demographic that the author/show was aiming for. He's the bland, literal straight man who exists to have the world's rules explained to him and to have more interesting characters bounce off him from the periphery. That's fine and may even be kind of useful on a broad level eventually everyone gets hip to the new world and the boring guy is still there.

The show figures this out pretty early and in mid season 2 you can see the ship correct itself and move Quentin back into the ensemble and by the later half of season 3 "Quentin isn't the main character you loving idiots" is explicitly text.

It will always be cheesy though. (20 second clip late season 3. It doesn't really spoil anything other than the existence of a Maguffen and illustrates how far they get from angsty magic Melrose Place)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I wonder if it would hold up better binged. The highs were great but god drat those interludes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Cactus posted:

I love how Zelda stands.

I instantly aged 20 years when I figured out where I'd seen that actress before.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I recently rewatched and really, really like the Season 4 musical numbers. I kinda bounced off it because I didn't connect with the songs but in retrospect it's some amazing Elliot/Margot time.

Working my way through the Leftovers season 2 and International Assassin is up next. No clue what's gonna happen but I do know people make youtube videos of themselves watching it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Leftovers update: poo poo's amazing and season 2 on is less oppressively bleak. International Assassin was good, but a bit of a letdown because I knew in advance that it was so good so I didn't get the mind-blowing experience of catching it live.

I'm on to Season 3 now and I've noticed a trend where every Matt episode is the least anticipated and the best received.

"That's the guy I was talking about." Goddamn.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Finished the Leftovers and it was indeed amazing. I couldn't help but think that we got seasons one, two, and four of a five season arc:

Season 3: crackdown on the GR, reaching equilibrium in Jardin, Tommy and Kevin join the force, Evie's family falls apart, Christine comes back for the baby, Matt fixates in Kevin while his marriage collapses

Season 5: Everyone deals with their own personal apocalypse not coming to pass, Matt dies, Norah's adventure in Raptureland.

Edit: I also think it's interesting that by the end all the kids are barely in the story. Everyone under thirty has moved on while the olds still see themselves fighting God personally.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 18, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If you enjoyed Klaus and upbeat superhero dramedy then I highly, highly recommend Misfits, which is where he (and Iwan Rowan) got their start. The pitch meeting was "Heroes, but with juvenile delinquents govn'a tally-ho pip-pip.

Shark Tank pitch DO NOT STEAL: website that streams the first two episodes of obscure television shows with affiliate links to purchase. Might as well get some of that cheddar since some dude named "jerome4education" or the like is gonna upload it to daily motion anyway.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

All of The Flight Attendant dropped at once on the official UK broadcaster and I'm a couple of episodes in. If it went out weekly I'd probably lose interest. But as I can binge it, I'll probably background watch it just to find out the who-did-it.

Based on the title, I deduce it was the flight attendant, op.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I realize now that the Leftovers was my "break glass in case of emergency" prestige show. It's Tribes of Europa from here on out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

kaworu posted:

I cared - I cared a lot that they canceled Rubicon I adored that show and everything about it, and to date "Truxton Spangler" is maybe the greatest character name ever. That show was just really special though - I guess it was destined to fail, since it's not like tons of people were dying for a re-imagining of "Three Days of the Condor" with a slower pace and a longer form. Well, except me, I guess

I held a grudge about that cancellation and refused to ever get on "The Walking Dead" bandwagon because it frustrated me so much that this cliche-filled zombie show got picked up while Rubicon got the axe. I felt like Rubicon was going to far more interesting places than The Walking Dead could ever hope to go - though I suppose we'll never know.

Didn't Rubicon's showrunner get canned after the pilot? There was a clear tonal shift from "there are hidden messages in the crossword puzzles" to Three Days of the Condor.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Might just recrack Leverage open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Watching Quantum Leap on the NBC and I have so many questions