Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently I've been on a bit of an online Hey Arnold! binge, of all things. Nostalgic stuff, but there's little to equal it at this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last series I binged through were BTVS and Angel, and before that it was TNG and DS9. That was at the start of the summer, and since then I've been re-watching a lot of old Doctor Who serials to refamiliarise myself with them before the fiftieth anniversary.

In the meantime, I think the series I'm going to binge through next will be Babylon 5 (and hopefully The X-Files after that). It's heading back into space opera genre and I'm hoping it'll be fun because I'm going into it with next to no knowledge of how the plot progresses. The only "big" thing I know in advance is that the main character is replaced by Tron at the start of season two, and I wouldn't say that's too much of a spoiler.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm binging through Babylon 5 at the moment. I'm on the eighth episode of season two and it's pretty good so far.

Bruce Boxleitner as Captain Sheridan kinda reminds me of Martin Sheen as President Jed Bartlet for some reason; I'm not really sure why.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's because I've not watched The West Wing in years, but Bruce Boxleitner even seems to look and sound a bit like Martin Sheen to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been on a Babylon 5 binge recently. It's the first time I've watched the series and I've enjoyed it a lot thus far. However, I'm about eight episodes or so into season four and it seems to be slowing down a little. I was aware going into it that JMS was informed he wouldn't be getting a fifth year and compressed the story arc accordingly, then learned he would be getting a fifth year after the fact but I hadn't appreciated how that would affect the episodes.

Still, I'm pretty optimistic for the remainder of the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aye, I had a good bit of free time today and binged through the rest of season four. Great stuff, really.

Is it better to watch the movies next or season five? I remember seeing a suggested viewing order that recommended as much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

I grew up watching it, grew out of it 15 years ago. they changed it too much, the first two seasons were genius.

The first two seasons were definitely more character-focused comedy in a science-fiction setting. After that it was a straight-ahead science-fiction sitcom (I suppose the big exception is "Marooned" from the third series), but I like it as far as the sixth one; seven and eight have a comparatively poor reputation and I think they deserve it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After a bit of a break, I binged through the last part of the fifth season of B5 (from about an episode or two before the death of Byron through to the end). Some good stuff, but very much a "tying up loose ends/here's how we got to the future scenes from season three" type of season. I might watch the movies, since they're part of the DVD set I have (along with Crusade, actually, which I will probably get around to eventually) but for now I've got a couple of Doctor Who DVDs I've had on the backburner for a while ("The Green Death", "Dragonfire" and "The Happiness Patrol").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having finished B5 and its spin-offs, I'm looking to start a new series. I'd like to marathon The X-Files at some point, but I'm looking for something a bit smaller for the moment, though hopefully somewhat similar.

How is Fringe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been binging through Fringe lately. I'm just under halfway into season four. It's really cool stuff, and it's probably become one of my all-time favourites.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

The initial premise of the episode--a conspiracy theory group forming about The Doctor--wasn't bad. But making a Doctor Who episode that features very little of the Doctor himself is generally a bad idea.

It's widely assumed to be an allegory for Doctor Who fandom; a group of misfits brought together by their shared interest in the Doctor who just want to have a good time, until their little group is commandeered by a fat idiot who (literally) sucks all the life out of the enterprise (and is probably based on Ian Levine).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got this box set with all nine seasons (and both movies) of The X-Files for Christmas, so that's what I'll be going through next.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd completely forgotten until I rewatched it recently that season five is pretty much the Rimmer season; he's the only character who's the focus of more than one episode in that series ("Holoship" and "Terrorform") and he has some great moments in others ("Yes, I admit I'm nothing, but from what I started with, nothing is up," in "The Inquisitor" and the revelation in "Back To Reality" that the one thing he fears more than anything else, the one thing that would drive him so deeply into despair that he'd kill himself, is not being able to blame his parents for all his failures).

Then, in season six, it looks a bit like they might try to redeem him; maybe that would've continued throughout season seven if Chris Barrie hadn't left early on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got The X-Files box set with the movies for Christmas so that's what I've been binging through lately. I'm only on the penultimate disc of season two so far, but it's all good stuff so far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

Binged House of Cards on Netflix over the weekend, even staying up past our bedtime to finish it (and catch the newest ep. of Walking Dead). SO glad we caught up with it, with the new season dropping real soon.

If you haven't seen it, you should check out the original BBC version if you can. It's good stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

All that being said, I have been watching House of Cards and I think it's been pretty fun so far. I guess I was kind of expecting it to somehow be like West Wing, but it's a lot more visceral and intimate and I enjoy that. I still am not a big fan of the soliloquy breaks by Frank, but I like his wife's wavering of self over the show. All in all it's definitely a thing I'd recommend to people.

Do check out the British version if you enjoy the remake!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching seaQuest DSV, which is better than I expected it to be. It's a bit of fun.

Although I've heard dubious reviews, I'm actually kinda curious to see the third season (when it was retitled seaQuest 2032 and time-skipped ten years into the future) but the only home release is in Australia and my laptop can only play Region 2 discs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I see. I only have the internet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most recently, I finished The X-Files. I'm watching seaQuest 2032 at the moment; it seems like an interesting change of pace from the first two seasons. It was cancelled halfway through the season so it's pretty short; only thirteen episodes in all. Still, I like it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently binging through Sliders.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Still on my Sliders binge; I'm now halfway through season three, which means I'm well into the "what popular movie can we copy this week?" phase of the series (most recently, Tremors, of all things).

It's still fun, though. I still enjoy it. I'm aware that John Rhys-Davies is killed off in the next couple of episodes which is a bit disappointing, but we shall have to see where it goes from there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

I love Fringe overall but season 1 was bad. So loving boring.

I didn't mind season one on the whole, but I probably would've thought much less of it if I'd seen either The X-Files or Alias before I watched it. Season two is a pretty big step up, though.

Anyway, I'm still binging through Sliders at the moment. I'm on season four. Not sure what I'll watch next; I don't feel like trying another post-2000 series just yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching this supernatural/crime procedural series called Forever Knight, which is kind of like Angel, except made in Canada in the early 1990s for maybe a tenth of the budget. It is entertaining enough, though. I like it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Sutherland was in The Lost Boys; Fover Knight was Geraint Wyn Davies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just finishing up with Forever Knight. The last couple of series I binged before it were Sliders and The X-Files, so I'm thinking of trying something different next. I was thinking of giving Stargate SG-1 a try.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EddieDean posted:

Bear with it at first - if you have to, just stick episodes on in the background while you do other things. As soon as it has some established canon to lean on and develop it starts to get really good. One of the most rewarding things about the show is its consistent internal rules.

I think it's been okay so far on the whole; I don't think it's necessarily had any unbearably terrible episodes like, say, the first season of TNG, just resoundingly mediocre ones with glimmers of brilliance.

That said, I thought the one I finished earlier this morning ("There But for the Grace of God") was really good, and hopefully it can only improve on that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

This is funny to me because SG-1 has what is almost literally a retread of a horribly misogynistic TNG episode, only instead of space africans abducting Tasha Yar it's space mongols abducting Carter.

Oh, yeah. That one. I must have blanked it out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Come to think of it, there was also one where they're all infected with the disease from "The Naked Now".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Never watched Oz. House of Cards is a political thriller that's about manipulation and is light on the violence, it's pretty fun. Mad Men I haven't seen much of but it's very...tiring. By which I mean it's not something you can just binge.

Are you talking about the one with Ian Richardson, or the inferior remake with Kevin Spacey?

(See also: State of Play, another BBC political drama with an inferior remake with Kevin Spacey :v:)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about two-thirds of the way through the seventh season of SG-1. I know that the Atlantis starts up concurrently with season eight, but do they ever cross over (in the same sense that Buffy season four and Angel season one had "part one" episodes on one show and "part two" episodes on the other)?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've ploughed ahead into season nine of SG-1 and now I have to add Farscape to my list.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I'd give Stargate Atlantis a go. I'm just closing out the first half of season one with the two-part story where Evil Miles O'Brien sends Franz Sanchez to attack the city while it's mostly empty.

It's not bad so far; probably better than the first season of SG-1, since they had something to lean on with it. The guy who plays Sheppard looks kinda like David Duchovny, though, which I find a bit distracting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just starting the fourth season of Stargate: Atlantis.

I'm not really a fan of episodes in science-fiction series where the base or the starship or whatever gets infected by an alien disease. It's weird, because they're basically "the heroes have to solve a puzzle" stories, which I normally like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just about finished with Stargate: Atlantis. It's too bad the movie fell through. I feel like they had a lot more stories to tell with the setting and the characters.

Probably won't bother with SGU at this juncture. I have heard mixed things about it. Instead, I am going to watch a DVD set which my dad has had since 2003 but I've never watched myself: the Hornblower TV movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

I can't believe that Supernatural is still going. I stopped watching at the end of Season 5 (6? I can't remember) because for some reason I was convinced the show was ending entirely then.

I think it's one of those series where the creators/writers had a five-year plan, but then it kept on getting renewed.

I would like to try it, but I would honestly prefer to wait until it's done and that doesn't seem to be on the horizon. I mean, I think I've read one interview with the showrunner where he says something like, "We've talked about where we get to 19 seasons" or something ridiculous like that. Perhaps they're just trying to beat Smallville and Stargate SG-1? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've recently started watching Highlander: The Series. It's endearing mid-nineties camp for the most part. I was only able to get the German DVDs, which I think have a lot of episodes out of order, but as far as I'm aware it isn't especially serialised, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having finished the Highlander TV series, I've finally gotten around to starting the Hornblower telefilms.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finished with Hornblower this evening. I regret that there was not more of it; in some respects, it was perhaps ahead of its time, and I imagine it could have slotted in easily enough on one of the big "prestige" drama channels like HBO or Showtime if it had kicked off a few years later. Even stuff like Sherlock is a kind a precedent for it.

That being said, although it would be nice if Gruffudd got his wish to continue the series and pick up where he left off, it would probably feel a bit strange with the cast all a decade older than we left them.

I got the Subspecies box set as a gift the other day, so I'm going to watch camp vampire B-movies next. :haw: Not sure what television series I'd like to try next. Might re-watch something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If you liked Hornblower then I would strongly recommend watching Sharpe. Apart from the the few episodes done in the 2000s it is, by and large, better than Hornblower. Same period, same style of programme but focussed on the army instead of the RN. And it stars a young Sean Bean.

Originally, it was going to star Paul McGann, but he broke his leg between casting and filming and Sean Bean got the part instead.

I've seen a lot of Sharpe because it's one of my dad's favourites. He's been into the novels since they started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have it on DVD as well. I don't use Netflix myself.