Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Spartacus: Blood and Sand A friend reccomended this but I was hesitant at first because I assumed it was just some 300 cash in but I was way off. It's actually a really good drama. Yeah, it has tons of boobs and slightly goofy ultra-violence but it's got some really great performances in it. Lucy Lawless, Jon David Hannah and even Jai Courtney are fantastic. I just finished season 1 and found myself shocked when Varro died, because I've never liked Jai Courtney in anything. I also appreciate that they seem to be able to work within their budget. It seems like they only have 5 different sets but you never really notice. My wife also really appreciates that pretty much anyone in the cast will hang dong at the drop of a hat. It's a nice counterbalance to Game of Thrones where it's 99% boobs and like half a dong a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

Just make sure you watch Gods of the Arena before Vengeance. It helps settle the Spartacus casting change. :rip:

Yeah, I was pretty excited for the first 10 minutes of season 2, then I googled " Spartacus season 2 actor change ." gently caress. Hopefully the new guy is as good as Andy Whitfield was. I did spend the last half of season 1 thinking " this guy who plays Spartacus is pretty good, I wonder why isn't in more stuff."

Mu Zeta posted:

Check out Rome after. It's like a sequel.

I've seen and loved Rome, it's actually why my friend recommended Spartacus to me.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 13, 2017

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

drat, you're all making me want to watch Spartacus, now! I've seen Rome which I thought was quite good. Is it any better, or about the same?

Absolutely! I got started on Spartacus because a friend and I were talking about how much we loved Rome. They are pretty different shows, Spartacus is more focused on gladiators and their ridiculous gladiator fights. The first 2 episodes are a little iffy but if you aren't hooked by the episode where they fight Theokyles then I'd stop watching, but that was around the time I really started to love the show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I just finished season 3 of Spartacus.

:eek:Lucretia:eek:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

Watching the final season of "Spartacus", and I'm starting to wonder why this show isn't called "Gannicus".

I kind of want a Spartacus spinoff called " Triumverate" , where Crassus, Caesar and Pompeii just bitching at eachother and then fighting. The series finale can be Caesar fighting off his 12 Senator assassins .

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Ted Danson's face in the reveal was really good

The way he knocked the potted plant off the table like a petulant kitten was masterful

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Much better than last season, but still had some late season issues. Enjoyed it all the same.

I found the ending a little underwhelming but good lord Adrian Brody just killed it every time he was on camera.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was checking the CBS All Access app to see when the new Star Trek started again and I saw a trailer for a show called " No Activity". Tim Meadows, Amy Sedaris, Jesse Plemmons and Will Ferrell? How did I miss this. We just watched all 8 episodes in a single night and howled with laughter the entire time. It's basically a single camera sitcom that bounces between groups of two people having the most ridiculous conversations imaginable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK0AkS_WD6E

If you're like me and your stuck with CBS All Acess just waiting for ST:D, do yourself a favor and check this show out.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The true hero of The Americans, The FBI Mail Robot, doesn't even show up until the second season.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nwin posted:

Finally got back into The Americans again. I had been watching it on FX for its first two seasons and then stopped for some reason, so I started it from the beginning.

All the wigs are still amazing to me. I just finished the season where Paige finds out her parents are spies and calls up Pastor Tim to tell him about it . I’m excited to see where they take the show now, and hope it won’t be a letdown.

Also started using Hulu and tried to watch The Shield with my wife, since she’s never seen it and I tell her how amazing it was. We didn’t even make it through 10 minutes. It’s not HD, it’s still in 4:3 ratio and Hulu doesn’t appear to support stretching it, and the quality was garbage. You combine the poor quality with the shaky cam thing they do, and it’s just not fun to watch at all. It’s really too bad-that was a great show.

The Americans is a great show and the storyline with Paige isn't so much a let down as it is sloooooooooooooow. Things don't pick up until Henry teams up with FBI Mail Robot

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm enjoying into the badlands. Thank you thread!

Badlands has the standard " everyones power level fluctuates wildly depending on what the plots needs to progress" problems but Nick Frost shows up in the second season and completely owns bones. I'm really excited for the 3rd season.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Blood Drive is so stupidly amazing and I'm so bummed it's only one season, but it was a fantastic ride.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been watching Friday Night Lights for the first time since it first aired, is there any way other than :filez: to get the versions with the original music?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Bad Girls Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EehaFxD7XKY

TV truly is in it's Golden Age

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just watch all of Trial and Error this week and it got cancelled. It's Blood Drive all over again! Why do shows I like always get cancelled as soon as I get caught up on them?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Justified is one of my favorite shows ever, and you can stream the whole thing on Amazon Prime. I highly recommend it.

If you like it and want something equally fun, but shorter, pulpier, with more violence, nudity, and sex but dialogue that isn't as clever, try Banshee. The first two seasons are free on Amazon Prime, and then you can get a free week-long Cinemax subscription to binge the third and fourth seasons, since you'll be hooked.

God I loved Banshee. Like a PTA meeting could have turned into a shoot out/cage fight between an Amish crime lord and 7 foot tall Native American and it wouldn't have been out of place.

I always wondered if the the reformed Nazi police officer who was covered in racist tattoos had to get them applied every day or if he had to walk around with them for weeks.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nwin posted:

Anyone watching The Mayans? I know the hate for Kurt Sutter and what Sons of Anarchy turned into is strong here, but maybe he did ok with taking some time off and making a new series? I dunno-I haven't watched it yet, just curious.

I queued it up ready to give it the ol' hate watch,but it was actually pretty decent. The Sutterisms are present but seem to be kept to a minimum, but I'm pretty sure in a few episodes someone will be lighting a transexual baby on fire then dousing it in a coffin full of pee while an Avenge Sevenfold song plays in it's entirety.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished the first season of Man In The High Tower and I liked it, but I have a question about the very last scene for people who are all caught up about the later seasons.

How timey-wimey does it get? Is it going to be like Lost where people jump through different dimensions and time travel every episode or does it only come up every so often? I've never read the books so I don't know how sci-fi they are, just that they are alternate history

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Into the Badlands

It's awful, with awful writing, awful plot, and awful fight choreography.

But the setting is fun and and the set design/costumes are good. So it makes for passable background netflix while I cook dinner.

If you can deal with everyone's power levels fluctuating wildly depending where the plot needs to go , Into The Badlands is amazing. Nick Frost shows up as the best character in Season 2, so you've got that to look forward too!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished the first episode of the new season of Patriot and god drat I’m glad this show is back

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah it’s awesome I liked it just as much as s1

Yeah having watched it over the week I honestly like it better than the first season. It was a lot more focused and while it did slow down in the middle I liked that it gave you more time with all the characters together. Kirtwood Smith should get an Emmy just for that group therapy scene alone. The delivery of his line” the last time I did coke was just now, as this guy was talking” was amazing.

I wonder if (spoilers but not really ) if those were actual tiny penises or prosthetic tiny penises.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No Activity is back on CBS All Access. I got All Access just for Star Trek Discovery but I ended up mostly using it for No Activity which is one of the funniest shows that no one is watching. This season has Jason Mantzoukus and Cristin Milioti joining the cast and so far they are dynamite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4NhEP36So

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Started Friday Night Lights. Anything I should know?

They play pretty fast and loose with how old and what grade people are in, just kind of go with it and also prepare to fall in love with Connie Britton.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TV Zombie posted:

Can someone who's watched Hannibal explain The Black Deer imagery associated with Hannibal? The protagonist never seems to mention it to anyone and I'm curious as to what it means. I'm only up to season 2 but I'm not sure it was every explained.

If I remember correctly in the later parts of the season ( and season 3) the deer kind of transitions into a Wendigo type creature, a monster in First Nation folk lore. It's a human that turns into a monster because it ate human flesh, and eventually can only live off human flesh. <- -- No plot spoilers, just some imagery.

Also

Trig Discipline posted:

I believe the explanation is that Bryan Fuller thought it looked neat.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been going through the Shield with a friend and I forgot how much insane anti-vax poo poo was in it. It really hasn't aged well.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I'm largely ok with that since its pretty clear Vic's a stupid rear end in a top hat looking for someone besides himself to blame for everything.

I mean it definitely wasn't written that way as far as the autism stuff, but it kind of works out that he's the exact kind of person who would be screaming about vaccines.

Maybe I'm forgetting it though. I don't remember any like clear "vaccines cause autism" stuff. Just mostly Vic and his wife being a mess about their kids and grasping at everyone who offered them an answer or lifeline. Which is probably pretty fair to a lot of the parents who buy into that stuff.

We're up to Season 4 (God drat Anthony Anderson is amazing) and so far Corrinne has joined a class action lawsuit against the vaccine company, and her and Vic constantly complain about how the vaccines have ruined their kid. I'll give it a pass since it was awhile before people really found out how empty and shallow the anti-vax community truly is. I think it's just a harsh contrast to the actual measles outbreak happening now to see an anti-vax storyline given such prominence in the show. The rest of the show holds up amazingly.

So far my friends favorite characters are Lem and Shane, so I have that to look forward too.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

What's stupid and offensive about him?

I’m a huge fan of his but he is stuck in the standard Baby Boomer “ pc culture run amok “ trap. He also has a tendency to punch down quite a bit.

As annoying as he can be he still brought us Karl Pilkington and An Idiot Abroad, is I can never stay mad at him for long.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ricky Gervais desperately wants people to think of him as edgy and boundary-pushing and a bad boy.

Unlike a lot of edgy comedians at least Gervais isn't afraid to make himself the butt of the joke, which is what kind of separates him from just doing edgy pointless jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwXxvSmVRg

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Shield re-watch update. We finally got to that episode and it made my friend so mad she said it retroactively ruined Justified for her and she will never, ever watch anything with Walton Goggins in it again.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don’t know if it really counts as binging since there’s only 3 episodes so far but I zoomed through “ What We Do In The Shadows” in one sitting and cant wait for the next new one. Every single character just crushes it. Where has Matt Berry been all my life?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

D-Pad posted:

I binged S5 in two days while I was sick. Love this show. It just has a feel you don't find on TV much. Bosch is one of my all time favorite cop characters. I'm tempted to read the books.

I thought the eye gouge plane fight was a little ridiculous but other than that I love the new season so far .

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hizawk posted:

Banshee is one of the best shows. It is a complete show, and my go-to recommendation to everyone.

Nobody I know has said they hated it yet.

Banshee really is an amazingly stupid show. It's the only show I can think of where a PTA meeting has the potential to turn into gun fight between a 7 foot tall Native guy and a pretend sherriff and several neo nazis and then a chinese drag queen hacker shows up with a bazooka and then everyone goes and has an orgy in an Amish barn while an Amish crime lord practices kung fu on wing chun dummy .

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ulio posted:

This show is a legit masterpiece that doesn't get mentioned more often. I really need to watch The IT Crowd because it has two of the actors from it, Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade. Btw is What We do In The Shadows any good? That also has Matt Berry who was amazing in Darkplace.

I'll let my boy Matt Berry answer this question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYY8m1Lb2I

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cactus posted:

A feeling I found that this show evoked quite strongly, is the one where you find yourself in the middle of the fourth or fifth season, and you think back to the things that were happening in the first one or two seasons, and despite the fact that it was only a couple of days ago (I binged all 6 seasons in about 4 or 5 days) it feels like all that stuff happened months ago. I think that's a sign of really good plotting and pacing, where enough stuff has happened and enough paradigm changes have occurred that it can actually mess with your retro-active perception of the time you've spent watching.

Another observation I made about The Americans was that although it's a fantastic show in many ways, to me it feels really cold and uninviting - which I suspect was by design because of the subject matter. It was one of those shows that when I was watching it I was fully immersed and all in to see what would happen next to these characters, but when I wasn't actively watching, the urge to pick it back up again was dampened because for me that warm comfy feeling I get with most shows I like when I'm thinking about them just wasn't there with this one.

But after the GoT finale disappointment I needed to watch something that I knew would end well, and this definitely does that. We're not going to get one, but I would watch a Paige spinoff in a heartbeat.

I'd watch a whole show of the FBI Mail Robot coming to life and having wacky adventures ala The Brave Little Toaster.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been a pretty big Lobo fan since I was a kid and I saw that he was going to be in the new season of some show called Krypton. A Superman prequel on SyFy seemed pretty bad but I watched a few episodes and it's pretty great? I wasn't expecting much but I actually really like it which is weird because I'm not a Superman fan at all. It's well paced and decently plotted. Zod is great and this is the first time I've actually liked Braniac as a villain and his ship looks amazing. I'm almost done with first season and am pretty jazzed to start up the new one for some sweet Lobo action.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Bang posted:

I really enjoyed the first season would I like the second?

It’s very, very different than the first season. They change settings from preset day-ish to a Terminator kind of post apocalyptic underground. Wolf really has an amazing arc and goes from a little one note to one of my favorite characters in any current tv show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Banshee so, so much and was delighted to find out the other day that one of the creators had a new show on Cinemax called Warrior, all about the Tong Wars in 19th Century San Francisco. I’ve blasted through 4 episodes so far and I am loving it. It’s a bit more grounded than Banshee(miss my Amish Kung Fu Crime-lord and my 9 foot tall Native) but it’s got Hoon Lee in it! So far it kind of reminds me of a Chinese Peaky Blonders.

Really glad to see it’s already renewed for a second season.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Scrolled thru the first 4 pages of the sub & didn't see a show thread (might've missed it). Currently binging Baskets on Hulu and I fuckin' love this show. Kinda' sad to see the next season will be its last but goddamn so many great moments already!

I thought I was going to hate Louis Anderson in a dress but he owns that role so hard that you stop noticing it immediately. It’s honestly one of my favorite performances on TV and should be winning emmys left and right

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...I mean, we were just talking about how Banshee actually is genuinely good. It's not quite on the same level as Spartacus, but almost nothing is.

I remember the person who recommended Spartacus to me said “ just FYI the main character dies”. Like no poo poo, I took history classes in high school of course I know that Spartacus dies.

Then I booted up the second season and thought “ who the gently caress is this dude and where is Spartacus “.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

WOAH there nelly... you need to be watching the prequel season after season 1. Air date order son!

I watched Blood on the Sand, then Vengeance, then War of the Damned then Gods of the Arena because that's the order I got the dvd boxsets in. I was pretty confused when Animaus showed up and everyone acted like they'd known him for years.